Options

Dr. Squatlove, or How I Learned to Stop Wasting Away and Love [Strength Training]

• Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    Gideon wrote: »
    i love squats because today i looked at my own ass

and i saw that it was good

Careful, now you've realised that you'll be pausing to check yourself out every time you walk in front of a mirror under favourable lighting.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    a few days after my surgery and I can almost press the bar. Almost! I bet I could squat.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    It would seem views (to some) on steroids is changing some? I never really gave it much thought, personally, but it's an interesting debate to have, especially when it comes to high-level performance. Personally I'm still going over what I should get for protein and whether or not creatine should even be on my radar.

Magus` on
  • Options
    If people aren't competing in tested events I don't care what the fuck they take. They should be able to pick that shit up at the pharmacy.

• Options
    Yeah I can't say I ever really understood the stigma with steroids. I mean, yes, they have noted (possible?) downsides but they're documented and you know what you are getting yourself into. On an unrelated note, Tube, I'm thinking about getting an adjustable dumbbell set for home for when I can't make it to the gym or just feel the sudden urge to pump some out. I was considering getting more weights, but I don't really have a place to put them, ATM.

• Options
    You'll profit more from figuring out how to make "times I can't make it to the gym" be as rare as possible.

• Options
    It's mainly the weekend right now but I figured it couldn't hurt to have some just in case. I'm gonna give the gym a month or two to see how it syncs up with my work schedule, either way.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    In the end, you don't wait and see how the exercise syncs up with your life. You change your life so it fits.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    So what you're saying is I should be.. flexible?

• Options
    Something like that.

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    I've been on a diet that's proven pretty effective for putting on weight, however, having looked at the sodium/salt content of the diet I'm in the region of 200% my daily allowance.

1) Exactly how bad is this? (I'm working under the assumption of 'pretty damn unhealthy')
    2) What are some good replacements calorie wise?. For the protein I could just switch the frankfurters and cheese for more chicken, but that wouldn't help any with the calories. A shit ton of potatoes I guess, but that would not be great for my teeth or digestion.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Gonna need more details on your overall diet but holy lord yes, stop eating hot dogs forever. Or at least eat the very very infrequently.

Also Brian Shaw is a giant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGTtPlaSLdQ

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Gonna need more details on your overall diet but holy lord yes, stop eating hot dogs forever. Or at least eat the very very infrequently.

It was;

Morning: Two sandwiches with four frankfurters and slices of cheese each+cucumbers each.

Afternoon: Whatever is in the staff cafe that looks appetizing.

Early evening: 420 grams of chicken from a foreman grill (I think this reduces the calories? but I haven't found a clear indication anywhere of to what extent), with some potatoes and lots of vegetables.

Late evening: Large curry.

Really looking to replace the morning (because of all the sodium) and afternoon meals (because of the cost).

• Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    Uh dude just eat eggs, chicken breasts, broccoli, potatoes and oats.

http://youtu.be/MNctsEFp7Zs

cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Unsalted nuts and peanut butter and whole milk and fish

I wish I wasn't dieting.

• Options
    Yeah literally anything that you cook for yourself out of whole ingredients is going to have an acceptable amount of sodium. For breakfast eat a bunch of eggs with a glass of milk, eat a bunch of eggs with some bacon, eat a bunch of eggs with some oatmeal, eat a bunch of eggs and some toast, the possibilities are nearly limitless. Another way to help would be to precook your lunch and bring it with you to work. Another way to help would be to cook your own late night snack, if you aren't making that curry yourself.

You may notice a theme emerging.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    oh man my lower back was tight after the gym today

so i slapped on some tiger balm

i may have put a bit too much....

also today i benched for the first time since.. i think exactly 9 months ago today

and it wasn't bad and my shoulders didnt hurt (though i only did light weight) so that's good

poo
  • Options
    oh oh i remembered i had a question

when i do hang high pulls i have a hard time getting my elbows up high, which i assume is a flexibility/mobility issue
    what sorts of stretches can i do for that?

poo
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Are gloves for lifting helpful?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Not really unless you're a hand model.

@Shazkar Shadowstorm the only thing I can think of that's a good stretch is arm extended put your hand flat on the wall with the finger tips pointing down to the floor. You should work on getting your palm flat to the wall.

In all honesty though I don't see mobility issue for getting your elbows high. It's not an upright row. The bar should be moving vertically because of your hips and traps, not because you can do a row with it. Even if you were to put both arms up where the elbow forms a right angle, rotate your shoulders and you'll see that our ROM right there isn't the greatest despite our shoulders having a large ROM in general.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Okay, thanks - the bar goes up to a bit below shoulder height and I'm mostly driving with my hips - was just wondering about the elbow thing since I was wondering if lack of flexibility there might mean I put my wrists in a weird position

Think I'm getting it

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Alright, really the only reason I asked is I kind of have a slight germophobia but I'll just wipe off any equipment I use with the cleaner stuff they have.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Okay, thanks - the bar goes up to a bit below shoulder height and I'm mostly driving with my hips - was just wondering about the elbow thing since I was wondering if lack of flexibility there might mean I put my wrists in a weird position

Think I'm getting it

Then you're doing it right.

Get a video some time I'd like to check it out

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Alright, really the only reason I asked is I kind of have a slight germophobia but I'll just wipe off any equipment I use with the cleaner stuff they have.

Just don't put your hands in your mouth and wash them after you're done?

I'm not belittling your germophobia, I wash mine religiously in the weightroom and at the bar, but you can certainly wipe down bars and equipment if you'd like.

• Options
    The reason why I advocate the posting of video on the Olympic lifts or the variations of them, such as the high pull from a hang, it's easy to think you're doing them right but there's always something that can be corrected.

It's not as ideal as having somebody to coach technique with you right there, but it's better than nothing.

I could use the practice, and as there are some knowledgeable people in here such as @Jyardana (who used to clean a good amount of weight), @Jimmy Marku who does Olympic lifting, @Tube who is taking a break but I'm certain has a good grasp on it.

I don't consider myself an expert but I do care enough to help where I can for free.

Once July rolls around I'll try to get my own videos up so I can critique them and hopefully pass something useful along in that analysis. There's nothing as humbling as seeing yourself on video thinking you really nailed a lift and seeing what you can do better.

• Options
    Alright, I'll record next time I do it (2 weeks from now, gonna be in Maine next week... my exercise will be lots of swimming and kayaking and some hiking that week), that'll be helpful since it's the lift I'm doing that I am least sure about

poo
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    7 more days of training and one more race and my season is over, giving way to two weeks of skating, gymnastics, and taking advantage of being in shape before taking 3 weeks off and giving up the next 47 weeks again for track.
    The reason why I advocate the posting of video on the Olympic lifts or the variations of them, such as the high pull from a hang, it's easy to think you're doing them right but there's always something that can be corrected.

It's not as ideal as having somebody to coach technique with you right there, but it's better than nothing.

I could use the practice, and as there are some knowledgeable people in here such as @Jyardana (who used to clean a good amount of weight), @Jimmy Marku who does Olympic lifting, @Tube who is taking a break but I'm certain has a good grasp on it.

I don't consider myself an expert but I do care enough to help where I can for free.

Once July rolls around I'll try to get my own videos up so I can critique them and hopefully pass something useful along in that analysis. There's nothing as humbling as seeing yourself on video thinking you really nailed a lift and seeing what you can do better.

My PC and snatch fell to 275 and 195 this year after switching focus to the 200/400, and shit that was back in March the last time I did them.

But i'm most certainly willing to watch some vids to help out anyone who wants advice.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    just bought some creatine

stuff tastes literally like nothing, which is great.

one question i got:

label says to take with water or non-acidic juice. does this mean no mixing with milk?

Does it make sense to mix creatine into a whey protein shake?

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    The common advice is to just get your 5 grams or whatever every day, timing and what you take it with aren't terribly important. Putting it in a whey shake's fine.

• Options
    yeah i literally just put 5g on my tongue and wash it down with water because its easier than mixing it

poo
  • Options
    When I was using powder I found it gritty and it doesn't mix well so I didn't like adding it to my shakes. I did what Shaz does and just ate it.

Then I switched to capsules because fuuuuck that.

• Options
    hmm ive been doing my barbell glute bridges with my upper back/shoulders on a bench

i should try it on the ground i guess? dunno what the difference will be

poo
  • Options
    @Jyardana - well congratulations you can snatch as much as me and clean more than i can, and you're faster to boot

(i hate you. lets get the church of iron going again)

• Options
    @Jyardana - well congratulations you can snatch as much as me and clean more than i can, and you're faster to boot

I'm also under 180 for the first time in awhile!

• Options
    Jyardana wrote: »

i'm still sitting 240-250

but i'm gonna start running more short sprints (less than 60 yards) and once june is over get back into the olympic lifts and hit it hard. try to get my training dialed in so that i'm peaking august 17th for the meet. which i need to get registered for and all that.

• Options
    Excited about the new equipment. REALLY excited that I can get back to doing my squats. I'll probably do a week of lighter weight just to get my mindset right again for squats.

• Options
    Jyardana wrote: »

i'm still sitting 240-250

but i'm gonna start running more short sprints (less than 60 yards) and once june is over get back into the olympic lifts and hit it hard. try to get my training dialed in so that i'm peaking august 17th for the meet. which i need to get registered for and all that.

the cns demands for short sprints (keep em under 30-40, imo) is so high that it is a great way to get more reps in the same energy system as olys without hitting specific burn out from just overloading the olys (or vice versa, thus the role of olys in a lot of sprint programs). It'll be a good way to increase work capacity early on for you.

but yes, the church iron will indeed be holding services again

• Options
    J that's why i love you

i will strive for 40 yard sprints

• Options
    i just finished my workout and am a bit oxygen deprived. but you got the gist of it

give yourself 3 weeks of increasing volume, 2-3x per week, never going more than 400y total per workout during highest volume week. week 4 is an unload week. it'll get ya off to a good start

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    stop eating hot dogs forever

right? have some self respect and grill some cheese stuffed bratwurst instead

This discussion has been closed.