Options

Dr. Squatlove, or How I Learned to Stop Wasting Away and Love [Strength Training]

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Walt wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    stop eating hot dogs forever

right? have some self respect and grill some cheese stuffed bratwurst instead

Or some chorizo at least!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Jyardana wrote: »
    i just finished my workout and am a bit oxygen deprived. but you got the gist of it

give yourself 3 weeks of increasing volume, 2-3x per week, never going more than 400y total per workout during highest volume week. week 4 is an unload week. it'll get ya off to a good start

that should coincide nicely with the training!

i will report back how this goes. lifting 5x a week, sprinting 2-3x. sure, i'll give it a shot.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    so i'm studying for my biomechanics test, and i find the book to be impenetrable and the powerpoint slides less than effective (as are my notes)

but reading through anatomy without a scalpel (this book is fucking aces), and the trail guide to the body to get a better idea of what originates where and it's insertion point on a bone is invaluable.

also anatomy without a scalpel is very readable.

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Tagging along with this book chat, heres one of my personal faves
    http://www.amazon.com/Running-Biomechanics-Exercise-Physiology-Practice/dp/0443074410/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372051334&sr=1-1&keywords=bosch+klomp

Insanely detailed guide to the biomechanics of sprinting

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Studying human anatomy during my undergrad has been a massive help with figuring out normal weightlifting stuff as well as sorting injuries. This book is a pretty good starting point for anyone interested.

• Options
    That running one looks interested. And I always see that one on amazon, Jim.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Yeah i got some great insight to my hip problems from that one JM posted. Very accessible book

• Options
    Did some overhead squats today. God I am fucking terrible at 'em. Only got up to a few sets of 5 with 55kg before I my shoulders got mad wobbly.

Not doing much this week in prep for the comp on Friday. Probs just some more OHS and clean pulls tomorrow, then light snatches and C&J's on Weds with plenty of mobility stuff.

God I hope I don't bomb.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    How many comps have you done?

• Options
    This'll be the first.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Depending how awful your coach is, you won't bomb out. The only way you'll bomb out is if you come too heavy out of the gate. Just focus on making a total, then stretch yourself with the upcoming lifts. If you miss your opener, don't think "oh well I'll go up anyway", do your opener again. If you miss your opener and come backstage to your coach giving you shit, dismiss him as your coach. Every person I've ever seen miss their opener and go backstage to an angry coach has gone on to bomb out.

Tube on
  • Options
    I should be ok - I have a good idea of my attempts and it's actually a pretty casual team comp between our team (Bethnal Green B) and another on the lifting league so there isn't much pressure.

I've just been having a shitty time with missing lots of snatches lately so even starting low there's the potential for it to go wrong. If I can post something though I should be able to claw my way back on C&J, hopefully 115 or 120.

I'll probably open with 60/100.

• Options
    It looks like my old club isn't on there, if memory serves there were some issues with the fact that some people in the league weren't BAWLA affiliated. I think my old club pretty much imploded soon after I left. Not because I left, obviously, but I think for the same reasons that I left. I think I was just the first to go.

• Options
    I gotta do my USAW membership, which reminds me I should get level 1 cert when I get a chance.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I just tried to take my creatine by putting it straight in my mouth. I threw it all over myself and fuck me is 5g a shitload of powder.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    It's what I used to do and I hated it. I gave up on creatine because I couldn't find a way to take it that didn't make me hate being alive.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I just put a bit in water and chug it. It's BCAA powder that's a pain, but I finally got used to it.

• Options
    you could always just buy bulk capsules and capsule it yourself.

Feels like I just live on powder some weeks though so these problems make me chuckle

hehe. See? <---...chuckling...

On tap- 6x30m starts from blocks, 2x90m Vmax sprint. Progressive hurdle hops (distance between each hurdle is increased), single leg low hurdle hops, muscle ups, handstandpushups, reg pushups

Thank god its only 75 today

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    I just put a bit in water and chug it. It's BCAA powder that's a pain, but I finally got used to it.

Trading short term discomfort for long term success is really the key to this game generally.

Except if it's fucking grape flavoured. Nothing is worth grape flavour.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

ugh I just got this massive bag of Berry de Mey BCAAs and it is without doubt the most repulsive substance I have ever ingested.

It tastes like poison.

It tastes like when you spray too much deodorant and it gets in your mouth.

• Options
    My general attitude towards BCAA's is currently 'meh'. Should I reassess that?

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Curious, besides protein shakes, creatine and I guess now BCAA

What supplements do you guys take on a regular basis?

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I take caffeine and fish oil, plus a multi vitamin. Beta-alanine is meant to help a little if you're doing higher rep ranges.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    My general attitude towards BCAA's is currently 'meh'. Should I reassess that?

I'm using them while trying leangains as I train first thing in the morning.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Fish oil all day, multi-vitamin, and BCAAs only I call it steak. Or eggs. Or milk.

• Options
    Nogs wrote: »
    Curious, besides protein shakes, creatine and I guess now BCAA

What supplements do you guys take on a regular basis?

I'm currently on a cut, so I'm supplementing BCAAs, Beta Alanine, creatine and caffeine. When I'm not cutting I usually just go with caffeine and creatine. I'm not sure I can quantify if or how much the other supplements work, but I'm a good ways into this and I'm still making strength gains, so I don't want to interrupt it.

• Options
  • Options
    Pretty sure I don't need to get on a plane to experience either poverty or tetanus.

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Oh boy, bent barbells.

• Options
    My supps- Beta Alanine, no creatine due to having my first bout with kidney stones this year, post workout juice with BCAAs. Thats bout it.

• Options
    MogsMogs Registered User regular
    For me, whey protein, fish oil, and vitamin D (yay for living in the pacific northwest).

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    Whey protein, fish oil, and a ZMA. In the next month I'm going to work in beta alanine and creatine.

• Options
    When I was lifting it was pretty much just protein, if that. ZMA is fucking magical, but it works out about a pound a day which is pretty steep.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I also came up with another long-term goal: Do that push-up clap thing. When I can do that with consistency I'll know I've arrived

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I want to be cool and do 1,000 lb rack pulls too :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4lbHFF7dxo#

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i started taking some zma again cuz i had a bottle leftover from when i tried a while back and i thought it was giving me nosebleeds

but it hasn't done that so far this time around so mighta been something else

poo
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    What's a ZMA for?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Some studies have shown it to increase test, others have shown it to do nothing hormonally.

However nearly everyone is magnesium deficient so everyone should consider adding it in just because its cheap as hell.

Also totally forgot about mag as a supp i take every day

• Options
    What's a ZMA for?

A bunch of stuff if you read the label. In reality it makes you sleep like a fucking baby.

• Options
    I slept more with ZMA, but it wasn't a net positive because I got some weird dreams when I was on it. David Lynch territory.

This discussion has been closed.