Options

Dr. Squatlove, or How I Learned to Stop Wasting Away and Love [Strength Training]

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Oh yeah I got super vivid dreams. They were pretty good though.

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    GABA gave me some pretty fucked up dreams back when I would take it. 5-htp, GABA, Melatonin and I would be so deep the dreams would last forever.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Just had to use the fail bar for the first time.

On my fourth bench rep of 135lbs.

Im so weak.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Nogs wrote: »

Im so weak.
    Whatever everyone starts somewhere

• Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    You say week, but I see someone who pushed themself.

Keep pushing.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I started out last year 'benching' 20 lbs.

You're not weak.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I permanently fucked up my shoulder on a freaking 105 lb bench, so don't feel bad about struggling on 135.

• Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    I just started on ZMA again. The creepy vivid dreams is worth sleeping like a baby for me.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

Im so weak.

Enjoy the easy gains while they last!

rockrnger on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i mostly returned to ZMA cuz i still sleep like shit

i will try anything for sleep

speaking of which time to sleep so i can gym tmrw AM

i got the liquid grip stuff in the mail we will see how that works, though tomorrow isn't deadlift day so don't need it bad

poo
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Three months off has decimated my bench. I topped out at 135x3x5 on close grip and felt like the weakest baby and yes I know that you're only as strong as you can be but I USED TO BE STRONGER DANG HECK

• Options
    yeah, i know i gotta start somewhere

it was just 2x45lb plates and the 45lb bar

i figured id give it a shot since 2x35lb plates i was able to do 3 sets of 8 reps

guess i know where to start pushing now though

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    also, what is the official formula here?

is 135x3x5 = 135 lbs, 3 sets, 5 reps a set?

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Man all you swole people are making me feel good about repping out 160x5x5 on bench today.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

That's the generally agreed upon way of writing it, yeah.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sets then reps, yeah. Put the weight at the front or the back, doesn't matter.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Three months off has decimated my bench. I topped out at 135x3x5 on close grip and felt like the weakest baby and yes I know that you're only as strong as you can be but I USED TO BE STRONGER DANG HECK

Umm excuse me but when do you achieve daddy strength?

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options

Is that different to old man strength?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    I started out last year 'benching' 20 lbs.

You're not weak.

Yeah, I'm just doing the bar right now. I can barely do two sets of 10 reps and I feel like such a huge baby.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    jklong wrote: »

Is that different to old man strength?

Not really, but data still inconclusive on that one.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Gah, 100x3x5 means five triples folks - read left to right. This is like your crazy date shit right?

I take Zinc Citrate 30mg and Magnesium Citrate 400mg, with Zn in the morning and Mg with my evening meal. That pretty much seems optimal based on the Examine info and is cheap enough.

• Options
    Jimmy, I think the euros (Russia, basically. I've only ever seen it from Pavel) write it your way where the rest of the world says sets x reps x weight. I think the important part is that reps is always next to the weight.

• Options
    i think
    i needa buy some weightliftin shoes next

poo
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So I heard a pro trainer at my gym talking and he said that lower weight with high reps builds size and high weight with low reps build strength and density. If that's true I've had it backwards for about 15 years now. Assuming I want more size, should I drop to about 60% of my current weight and change from 3 sets of 12 to 3 sets of 24 and get some better results?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    3 sets of 12 is high reps. That's like, the high end of high reps. 3 sets of 24 is fucking clown shoes, don't listen to that "pro trainer" any more.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Tube wrote: »
    3 sets of 12 is high reps. That's like, the high end of high reps. 3 sets of 24 is fucking clown shoes, don't listen to that "pro trainer" any more.

That's not what he said. 3 sets of 12 is what I do normally, 3 sets of 24 is what I can do if I cut my weight to 60%. I just don't know if I should.

All he said was that low weight, high reps builds size.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Low reps is 3 to 6, high reps is anywhere from 8 to 15 (leg hypertrophy should happen with more reps than arms, in my experience). Over that is somewhat of a waste of time.

A duck! on
  • Options
    jklong wrote: »
    Jimmy, I think the euros (Russia, basically. I've only ever seen it from Pavel) write it your way where the rest of the world says sets x reps x weight. I think the important part is that reps is always next to the weight.

Oh sure, but I was referring to the example above:

That's the generally agreed upon way of writing it, yeah.

Having 135x3x5 meaning 3 sets of 5 is way confusing. I see plenty of people put the weight on the left but usually they switch the order of the sets/reps so it makes sense when read L-R.

Oh and Magic Pink, you most likely don't want to change your training like that: The trainer has generally the right idea but low reps/heavy would be something like sets of three with the weight in your hands for significantly less than 60sec. High reps/lighter would be sets of 12 with the weight in your hands for about 60secs.

The difference between the two being that heavy weight for short time-under-tension would enhance neuromuscular efficiency relatively more than lighter/higher TUT, therefore giving benefits to strength without as much hypertrophy (which is maximised by using maximal load for sufficient TUT).

People who talk about muscle density have no idea what they're talking about.

• Options
    Also, as near as I can tell every normal human being writes it as sets x reps, no matter where the weight is written.

• Options
    2 things to report:

1) the Liquid Grip stuff works fine, so, that's good

2) i am... really annoyed that i strayed from orange creamsicle protein powder and have to eat 4 pounds of this other one that i am not enjoying at all

poo
  • Options
    also i feel like some protein powders give me headaches for whatever weird reason, and this one seems to be doing that while the other flavor didn't... that's weird right? some ingredient or something

well

hey @Beast! you wanna buy this tub of chocolate milk flavor off of me, lol

poo
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    also i feel like some protein powders give me headaches for whatever weird reason, and this one seems to be doing that while the other flavor didn't... that's weird right? some ingredient or something

well

Yes, that's weird. I'd assume this is a case of "correlation ≠ causation" until proven wrong.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    That's not what he said. 3 sets of 12 is what I do normally, 3 sets of 24 is what I can do if I cut my weight to 60%. I just don't know if I should.
    All he said was that low weight, high reps builds size.
    Find yourself a new trainer. One who's not an idiot.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    This thread is filling out my "unable to read" list nicely.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    @hsu he overheard the trainer talking to someone else.

Anyhow, got 170x3x5 for front squats, which is a PR. That's in pounds, before anyone gets excited. Still happy to see gains while dieting, maybe I'll manage a bodyweight FS soonish.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular

well

wat brand......

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    Didn't mean to kick off a thing, sorry about that. I've always written setsxreps, and usually with the weight to the right of the reps. No idea why I wrote it that way last night.

@Dead Legend I think you get dad strength when your kids are old enough to amuse themselves and shut the fuck up once in a while so you can get to the gym regularly.

• Options
    BEAST! wrote: »

well

wat brand......

musclepharm, same as the orange creamsicle

poo
  • Options
    i'm still far from doing the 35 lb plate for chin ups again

i could do that last year

but getting closer...

poo
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    A duck! wrote: »
    Also, as near as I can tell every normal human being writes it as sets x reps, no matter where the weight is written.

I was curious about this, so I checked a few sources (T-Nation, StrengthCalc, CA Q&C, Stronglifts Smolov, my club's program...) and in every case the rep # is adjacent to the weight/intensity, which makes sense, which is the only point I was making. Putting 100x1x5 as W/S/R makes no sense unless you get rid of the x between the 100 and the 1, because otherwise it reads as; I did 100kg once, five times.

The catalyst athletics sheet and my WL club's have W/R/S! I guess they must have been made by abnormal human beings! :p

Anyway, it's no biggie, I just want to understand how much weight you've lifted!!! Was that triples or fives Frylock?!

Jimmy Marku on
This discussion has been closed.