As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm The Best At What I Do And What I Do Is [The Wolverine]

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Ah yes the 'ludicrous glasses disguise'. Somebody should really get around to providing an explanation for that.

Theres hundreds
    Ok just a few.

Basically the in canon explanation is he vibrates in such a way that people and cameras cant focus in his face.

Or you go with the better he compleyely changes his posture and gait as clark

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    don't forget super hypnotism

• Options
    In the silver age I just chalk it up to people knowing but enjoying watching Lois try to prove it

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    This is my favourite explanation for how Superman's disguise works.

http://youtu.be/BIaF0QKtY0c

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    goodnight, sweet comics thread

• Options
    Yeah he does that in All star but its a far more dramatic change

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the glasses disguise is so great though

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Lance Hunt wears glasses. Captain Amazing doesn't wear glasses.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    He takes them off when he transforms

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    That doesn't make any sense, he wouldn't be able to see.

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I watched the first 30 seconds of Undercover Boss on Friday by accident

And the Undercover Boss legit just put on a pair glasses, and slipped by just fine

It all has to do with the fact that why would this important person go around pretending to be a nobody

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    GOYYYYEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I'm always reminded of this little chestnut with the glasses disguise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sNhPdJFZcQ

Don't need anything fancy, if you're good enough you just need a couple of props and a change in body language/tone of voice and you can be someone different.

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    who fuckin' cares! jesus!

this shouldn't even be a discussion!

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Edit whoops stupid phone and drafts

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    who fuckin' cares! jesus!

this shouldn't even be a discussion!

Um
    Ok?

• Options
    i'm not mad at you guys, i'm just angry that we've reached the point that Superman's disguise has to be explained away somehow

it just works! it's built off the classic idea that anyone could be Superman!

this is what happens when you hand off a pure concept like superman to a morally bankrupt pair of materialists like Goyer and Snyder

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    This new Batman/Superman comic is

pretty weird

• Options
    i'm not mad at you guys, i'm just angry that we've reached the point that Superman's disguise has to be explained away somehow

this is what happens when you hand off a pure concept like superman to a morally bankrupt pair of materialists like Goyer and Snyder

Well I couldnt.be Superman.

I have glasses.
    I do agree that theres very little you have to add to or explain about Superman.

• Options

this is the wrongest post yet

• Options
    edited July 2013

I mean, tastes in fantasy escapism change through the years. You can keep the core concept of Superman while changing things around. You don't have to be Goyer and Snyder to look at the glasses and think "this is dumb, these people are morons if this is going to fool them." and try to come up with something different.

In any case, in this movie version they should have just completely scrapped the idea of a secret identity. They've already lost anything useful about the concept, and everyone on the face of the planet knows who he is. The idea that he needs to be a reporter so that he can be on the cutting edge of danger happening (the reason he states in the movie) is something that makes sense in the 1930s, and given that they're adamant about making the world "realistic," doesn't jive with that motif. He could have a police scanner, have lois call him, have a direct line from the government or UN or just basically anything other than "I'm a reporter...?"

What has developed throughout the years is that Clark's identity is centrally important to him wanting to not just be a protector, but to actually take part in humanity. The identity is as much a selfish choice as it is one that helps him do his superhero thing. He wants to be close to Lois, he wants to fit in and be accepted as a human being. But none of that fits with this version. He can't blend in now without them having an extreme cognitive dissonance (which they are obviously aware of), and lois knows who he is so he can be close to her in any other way. They've created a scenario where it just doesn't work at all.

Langly on
  • Options
    like i sort of agree about the glasses not really being a thing but you need to remember that the vast majority of the audience for these movies is not approaching it with a deep knowledge of superman

or with the idea in mind that the glasses work because of x y and z things that superman fans know

so yes, you do need to explain it, because there's going to be a lot of people who look at it and think "that's the shittiest disguise known to man"

and then let's not even get into the "morally bankrupt pair of materialists" line because that's just a dink thing to say

• Options
    Buttlord wrote: »

this is the wrongest post yet

wrong

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    fictional arguments about fictional characters are my kryptonite

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    everyone on the face of the planet knows who he is

they know who superman is
    but lois's whole piece about the mysterious guardian angel doesn't give away his identity and the pictures are blurry or nonexistent, which is part of that urban legend angle that she was pursuing

like maybe the people she interviewed put it together

or maybe they just dismiss it as their imagination because superman could do that but some ordinary dude? nah

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    everyone on the face of the planet knows who he is

they know who superman is
    but lois's whole piece about the mysterious guardian angel doesn't give away his identity and the pictures are blurry or nonexistent, which is part of that urban legend angle that she was pursuing

like maybe the people she interviewed put it together

or maybe they just dismiss it as their imagination because superman could do that but some ordinary dude? nah
    There is an alien space ship at his house. The staff of the Planet have seen him up close with Lois. The whole town of smallville knows who he is, it took her about ten minutes to figure it out. Now that he's on the world stage, it would take anyone who wanted to know an equal amount of time.

And an ordinary person doesn't make sense because it was publicly established that he was hiding as a human. So...he obviously looks like a normal person.

• Options
    i'm gonna be honest i straight up give zero shits

i liked this movie despite the really blatant HE'S JESUS stuff and it's failure to follow through on the whole free will thing

it was a good attempt with some good ideas and i enjoyed watching it and i don't think this is literally the worst thing to happen to superman and that goyer and snyder should be ritually sacrificed to appease the dark ones over it

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    The glasses are incidental. Superman's disguise is that no one would ever imagine he would be disguised. If your coworker sort of resembled George Clooney or Barack Obama you wouldn't think much of it.

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    i liked it enough to continue giving them the benefit of the doubt on the next movie, at the very least

• Options
    Avraham wrote: »
    The glasses are incidental. Superman's disguise is that no one would ever imagine he would be disguised. If your coworker sort of resembled George Clooney or Barack Obama you wouldn't think much of it.

I bet Clark goes to office Halloween parties as Superman

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    it was a good attempt with some good ideas

which, exactly

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    what if the guy who looked like george clooney called him his friend was getting exclusive stories with him and whenever george clooney was around he had to run off to do errands

I'd think,

this motherfucker is george clooney

• Options
    It's an established fact that Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent look enough alike to masquerade as each other and fool others

• Options
    has there ever been a story where someone has accused bruce wayne of being superman

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    has there ever been a story where someone has accused bruce wayne of being superman

wasn't there a BTAS/STAS crossover episode where that was the gist

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    And so this is how the comics thread ends.

With a bunch of nerds arguing about Superman's glasses.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

well Superman wore Batman's costume and made his voice sound like Batman and everyone thought he was bigger than normal

also he punched Bane

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

no that was one where batman went missing so robin got clark kent to dress up in a spare batman costume andthey tried to track him down which lead to all of batman's villains getting double terrified because oh no the bat really is super strong and super fast and invulnerable

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    it was a good attempt with some good ideas

which, exactly

i liked that it was trying to be about superman as the embodiment of free will and choice fighting against determinism personified

the execution could have been better (a lot better)

but that's pretty clearly what it was going for

Buttlord on
  • Options
    wait i'm sorry i meant to say it was utter shit and the only people who like it are idiots who should be put to hte sword

This discussion has been closed.