As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roll for Shoes] Welcome to Mystery Mansion!

1495051525355»

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Davey

"Can we just beat it senseless and then drag it to the egg?" Davey asks as he lunges at the bad guy with an outstretched arm.
    "Shockingly, I don't have a one liner ready for this."

Geth roll 5d6 for soo shocking

---

Also lets hit with my soulstone again

soo shocking:
    5d6 18 [5d6=1, 4, 6, 5, 2]

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    The Characters So Far
    jdarksun as Mia Ashley Levy
    "There's a scientific explanation for everything."
    Loot: 6 (Ugly Veggie-Patch Knockoff Doll, Retro Hand Mixer, Samurai Helmet, Heartbreaker Locket, Best Sword Ever, Devil's Toenail)
    XP: 4
    Skills:
    (1) Try Something New
    -(2) Nancy Drew
    --(3) Trusty Magnifying Glass
    ---(4) Nosy Nancy
    ----(5) Stolidly Steadfast Snooper
    ---(4) Inscrutable Attention to Detail
    ----(5) Improbably Perceptive Psychometry
    -(2) Joan of Arc
    --(3) Channeled Divinity
    ---(4) Religious Ritual
    --(3) Swordswoman
    ---(4) Puissant Pounce
    ----(5) CUT MORE BETTER
    - ---(6) Vorpal Blade
    ---(4) Parry
    ----(5) Parry Natural Attack
    Other Gear: Orion Disc
    Special:
    - Heartbreaker Locket gives +1 on detecting evil/looking for trouble
    - Best Sword Ever gives +1 to cutting things. Don't bore the Sword. Don't miss too much. Don't disappoint the Sword! Be the BEST!
    - Devil's Toenail turns a loss into a success, but corrupts a piece of Loot commensurate with the difference between the original roll and the new roll.
    Level 6 Skill
    Vorpal Blade
    When attempting to remove an enemy's limb, Mia succeeds if she rolls more Sixes than the opponent: Over by 1 = Lose a limb, Over by 2 = Decapitation!

premium as Davey “Juke” Williams
    "I never turn down a dare!"
    Loot: 5 (Shaman Mask, Rune-carved Plumb Bob, Soulstone, Eye of Tiger, Bloody Bandolier)
    XP: 12
    Skills:
    (1) Try Something New
    -(2) Pretty Ghostly
    --(3) Ghost Senses
    ---(4) Spirit Sight
    --(3) Ghostly Haunting
    ---(4) Poltergism
    ----(5) Animate Furniture
    - ---(6) Furniture Familiar (see below), Current Familiar is Chauncey Oakencruft (Big Desk)
    ----(5) Ghastly Gravitational Pull
    ----(5) Rapid Fire Projectiles
    --(3) Incorporeal
    ---(4) Vanishing Act
    --(3) SpoOoky Ghost Hands
    ---(4) Invasive Ghost Hands
    ----(5) Spectral Shocking Invasive Ghost Hands
    - ---(6) Shockingly Shocking Defense
    Other Gear: Constance's Hairbrush, Strange Key with Note ( "J'ouvre le lac qui n'est pas.")
    Special:
    - Plumb Bob gives a +1 on rolls to find trouble.
    - Soulstone (2 Charges). Gain 1 charge per enemy Davey helps defeat. Spend 1 charge to weaken enemy for 1 turn (-1 die).
    - Eye of Tiger. Resolves ties more gloriously. Just remember, "gloriously" is how a lot of heroes die.
    Level 6 Skill
    Furniture Familiar
    Roll to give furniture personality! Only one Furniture Familiar can be active at a time. Difficulty of animation and power level of familiar vary by object. Each Familiar needs a name, for posterity. Deactivated familiars can be reactivated without a roll, provided they are still physically intact. Here are some examples:
    1) Hat Rack, Floor Lamp: gives +1 to Davey's attacks a selected enemy each combat; minor handy ability (like shedding light)
    2) Footstool, Small Table, Chair: imposes a -1 to a selected enemy's defense each combat; sacrifice to impose a 1-die penalty on the enemy
    3) Bookshelf, Chiffarobe: very useful ability (like big bonus to knowing things, or producing useful objects); sacrifice to negate 1 hit on Davey
    4) Big Desk, Large Table: good in a fight, gets its own action to attack target of Davey's choice; sacrifice to stun an enemy for 1 round (it can only defend)
    5) Formal Dining Room Table: hard to maneuver, but formidable bodyguard

Iron Weasel as Wendall "Wex" Cartright
    "Ready for candy and adventure!"
    Loot: 5 (Silver Cigar Cutter, Prism of Displacement, Titan Glue, Brass Asp, Eye of Buggamoto)
    Skills:
    (1) Try Something New
    -(2) Search
    -(2) MAGIC!
    --(3) A Wizard Does Not Walk
    ---(4) Blink and You'll Miss Me
    ----(5) Astral Projection
    - ---(6) Magical Musical Interlude
    ---(4) Knock, Knock
    --(3) Divination
    ---(4) Identify
    ----(5) Detect Danger
    ---(4) Monstronomy
    --(3) Dovahkiin
    ---(4) Dragonshouts
    ----(5) Fire Breath
    --(3) Elementalism
    ---(4) Earthenism
    ----(5) Scion of Bumi
    --(3) Enchanting
    --(3) Summoning
    ---(4) A Wizard Makes Do
    ---(4) Habeas Corporeal
    --(3) Transmutation
    Other Gear: Fabulous Staff, Spooky Note, Scrapulon (flotsam golem), Brass Summoning Hoop of Darkness
    Special
    - Silver Cigar Cutter gives Scrapulon silver-slashing damage
    - Prism of Displacement gives +1 to Teleportation magic
    - Titan Glue lets Wex bind things together, even intangible or conceptual stuff (4 uses)
    - Brass Asp: Ask the Asp a question. It will answer, but not always truthfully. When you ask the Asp, roll 2-5 dice (more dice = more detail in the answer). The GM will roll one die less than you. If you succeed, you get an honest answer. If you fail, the Asp tells you a whopper. On a tie, it may or may not be true.
    - Eye of Buggamoto: Reveals the way to one's goal.
    - Summoning/Banishing for the Discerning Dining Room Afficionado (only works in dining rooms; bonus if used in Family Dining Room)
    Level 6 Skill
    Magical Musical Interlude
    Transport your mind (or someone else's) to another place with the power of song! If Wex sings appropriate lyrics, he can put himself or someone else in a temporary space consistent with the chosen the song. Beat the opposing roll by 5 or more, and the target will receive an appropriate ongoing bonus or penalty (depending on whether used defensively or offensively) for the encounter. Just don't overuse any one song. Nobody likes overplayed music, am I right?

TheRoadVirus as Prince Ellingston Hallstings Dingingworth, III
    "Jeeves said nothing of danger!"
    Loot: 5 (Game Boy, Chaos Egg, Badass Bullwhip, Holy Silver Leg Ball-Spurs, Original Cornballer)
    Skills:
    (1) Try Something New
    -(2) Charismatic Billionaire
    -(2) SILENCE THE VOICES
    --(3) Frightening Visage
    ---(4) Piercing Howl
    ----(5) 56k Counterspell
    -(2) Spider-Mandroid
    --(3) Enhanced Titanium Carapace
    ---(4) Anti-grav Enabler Attachment
    ----(5) Troop Transport Upgrade
    ----(5) Turbo Dodge Upgrade
    ---(4) Furious Sting
    ---(4) Unnatural Strength
    ----(5) Crushing Leap (of fire!)
    - ----(6) Severing Fireslice
    ---(4) Webbing Blast
    -(2) Supercomputronic Crystal-Core Processor
    --(3) Science Vision
    ---(4) Exploratory Upgrade: Semi-automap
    --(3) Summon Broodroids
    ---(4) Defendroids Mk XIV
    ---(4) Nanoparticle Research Attachments
    Other Gear: Writing Kit, Sinister Fountain Pen, Red Orby Thing
    Special:
    - Chaos Egg grants limited respec when eaten.
    - Badass Bullwhip gives +1 to whippy things (immobilizing enemies, swinging across gaps, etc.)
    - Holy Silver Leg Ball-Spurs do extra hurt to things vulnerable to silver and/or holy stuff.
    - Original Cornballer gains 1 charge when Ellie loses Loot. Spend 1 charge to upgrade damage dealt. Current: 1 Charge.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Davey taps into the spirit-cursing power of his magic stone and then charges up his big bad ghost hand to deliver a shockingly painful blow to Uvixalochti. The monster jolts back from the pain and leaps up onto the mezzanine to get away from Davey. Little drops of black goo patter down onto the floor...

---
    Who the hell gave you that Soulstone anyway? :p
    Mia and Ellie are still up for this turn.

Geth, roll 3d6 for So fried

So fried:
    3d6 10 [3d6=3, 3, 4]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Ellie rubs his legs together to build up heat and then jumps, spinning as he goes.
    "Supah turbo hurricane slice fire combo maneuver #11!"
    Geth, roll 6d6+1

6d6+1 27 [6d6=3, 6, 5, 6, 1, 5]

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Ellie fires up his Super Holy Hurricane Fantastic Goodtime Spin Death Happy Face attack and knocks the filthy demon right off the mezzanine. It lands with a squelch on the ground below, bounces once, and rolls to a stop right in front of Mia. The monster struggles to get up, dazed and certainly abused, but still in this fight.

---
    Geth, roll 3d6 for SO hurricaned right now

SO hurricaned right now:
    3d6 15 [3d6=5, 5, 5]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    "So beat it senseless and drag it out back, or lure it to the pool yard first? Inquiring girls want to know!"

---
    What do I have with charges?

• Options
    ---
    @jdarksun you have 12 points of divine radiance, which you can expend 1:1 to modify your rolls.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    "Maybe you guys beat him up and I'll try to bring the Egg here? Kiting bosses is dicey at best."

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    "Stabbing things with the Best Sword Ever counts as beating it up, right?" Mia tests her hypothesis.

---
    Sigh.
    Minion, roll 6d6+1 for stab it about the head and shoulders

stab it about the head and shoulders:
    6d6+1 19 [6d6=5, 4, 1, 1, 1, 6]

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Mia stabs the demon repeatedly until it stops twitching. The slimy body lies still now. The thing may or may not be dead-dead, but it's definitely beaten for the moment.

BONG BONG BO-

Oh no! There's no time to celebrate, the clock is striking midnight! The children need to do something, and quickly!

---
    Geth, roll 3d6 for Ignominious End?

Ignominious End?:
    3d6 10 [3d6=3, 6, 1]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    "Ack! No time!" Wex shouts. "We'll have to go to the Egg, and bring Uvixawhosit with us. I hope the pool really is empty!"

Yeah, gonna be so neat
    Dance to the spooky beat
    Yeah gonna be so cool
    Twisting by the, twisting by the
    By the pool

We're twisting by the pool
    We're twisting by the pool
    Twisting, twisting by the pool.

Geth, roll 6d6+1 for Dire Straits indeed

Dire Straits indeed:
    6d6+1 25 [6d6=3, 6, 4, 6, 3, 2]

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Wex sings up a portal straight to the pool out back. The Null Egg floats in the brackish water, the pool only half-full even with the wicked storm raging outside again/still.

BONG BONG BONG
    ---
    Anyone can go through on their own with no problems, but whoever decides to move the body will need to roll something.
    ---
    Geth, roll 5d6 for In the Nick of Time?

In the Nick of Time?:
    5d6 17 [5d6=4, 3, 1, 6, 3]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    "Just my professional opinion as a Master of the Arcane , but I don't think anyone should touch that steaming carcass. Maybe have Chauncey and Scrapulon do it?"

"They're just NPCs," he adds - somewhat uncharitably - under his breath.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    "It's a demon, right?" Mia sheathed her sword and rolled up her sleeves. "Then may God grant me protection. Domine Deus," she began her prayer and grabbed the creature. "Defende nos in proelio; contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium."

---
    Minion, roll 4d6 for Hauling dead guys is a ritual, right?

Hauling dead guys is a ritual, right?:
    4d6 10 [4d6=2, 4, 3, 1]

• Options
    edited June 2014
    It's a good thing Mia is diffused with divine radiance right now, because her incantation proves a little rusty. She feels the infernal corruption burning against the silver-white glow around her hands, and she knows she can't hold on for long. Fortunately, she doesn't have to - one solid hoist and a good push, and Uvixalochti goes tumbling through the portal. Its head smacks against the Egg, which sends a spiderweb of cracks all along the shell.

Almost, but not quite there yet! All the Egg needs is one last tap...

BONG BONG

---
    Geth, roll 4d6 for Jesus is my hazmat suit

Jesus is my hazmat suit:
    4d6 15 [4d6=2, 4, 5, 4]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Wex hops through the portal and stands on the edge of the pool on the other side, where he jumps up and down excitedly while jabbing the Fabulous Staff at the demon.

"Ellie, Davey - super crit combo attack!!"

With his free hand, Wex digs in his pockets for the Titan Glue - he may soon need it!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Davey

"I got this" Davey announces to nobody in particular as he attempts to smash the demon's battered body into the egg using his poltergeistic powers.

Geth roll 4d6 for i totally got this

i totally got this:
    4d6 17 [4d6=4, 6, 2, 5]

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Davey extends his awareness through Wex's portal and flexes his ghostly will against the demon's body. Uvixalocthi flails like a sinister ragdoll, first violently jerked away from and then flung even more violently toward the Null Egg.

BONG

There's an ear-splitting CRR-RRACK! as the Egg's shell finally gives way, followed by a flash of blinding light and an irresistible pull toward the egg's non-existent center. Davey, already half-through the portal to begin with, is yanked bodily into the back yard. Mia follows after him, the Null Egg's singularity encountering ineffable resistance from the remnants of her divine inspiration. Ellie gets sucked in last, having been all the way on the other side of the room at the time and fighting for all his anti-grav jets are worth. Meanwhile, Wex slaps the Titan Glue on Scrapulon's feet, then commands the golem to hold on to him no matter what. Poor, brave Chauncey tumbles into the singularity with a woefully undignified, "Waaaaaaaaaaah!"

BONG

The rain lashes everybody mercilessly, the storm's rage momentarily drowned out by the thunderous rush of air being sucked into the Null Egg. Slowly, inch by inch, the children are drawn closer to the edge of the pool. There's no ghosting out. The Best Sword, even dug into the concrete, only slows the inevitable. Spider webs and scorpion tails and broodroids are of no use here. Scrapulon loses the war with the vaccuum, one chunk of broken furniture and scrap of tattered upholstery at a time.

BONG

Lightning flashes, the discharge itself seemingly drawn into the singularity in another senses-assaulting flash and crackle.

Suddenly everything goes quiet. No more rushing air, no pelting rain, no rumbling clouds. No twelfth bong of the clock. Just blinding white light. Even the smell of moldering leaves is gone.

And then, without warning, everything floods back in to the children's eyes and ears and noses.

A string quartet. Grown-ups laughing. The clinking of glass. Perfume. Cinnamon and nutmeg and cardamom.

One by one, they open their eyes. They blink and look at each other. Davey in the sheet with the holes cut out. Mia in her homemade silver-painted cardboard plate. Wex wearing a bathrobe with a bunch of mystical-looking patches sewn into it and a glitter-covered broom handle. Ellie wearing... well, it looks like a box with a monstrosity of coat hangers sticking out of it, and a bunch of old computer chips hot-glued to the sides.

Then they look around and see all the grown-ups in their neighborhood dressed up and wearing those silly masquerade masks adults wear because they aren't creative enough for real costumes anymore. This looks like a fancy Halloween party. In the back yard of the Mansion, a gorgeously preserved and tasteful reminder of old money, with a perfectly manicured lawn and a sparkling-clean blue-lit pool conveniently covered over with plexiglass for the party.

One by one, the grown-ups look in the direction of the four wayward trick-or-treaters. The conversation slows, then stops. The Principal, Mr. McMorris, steps forward. Mr. McMorris is a rough and weather-beaten old guy, with a really grating voice, like metal on metal, and these steely blue eyes, and kinda sharp angular features... "And just where have you four been?" he asks in that tone that tells you there's no right answer.

"You wouldn't even believe us if we told you..."

#rollcredits
    ---
    Geth, roll 3d6 for Not using your hands is cheating!

Not using your hands is cheating!:
    3d6 7 [3d6=1, 2, 4]

OminousLozenge on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @OminousLozenge‌
    There are not enough Awesomes or Hail Hydras in the world, bro.

This was probably the most consistently enjoyable thing I've ever been part of on these boards.

I need time to process everything. Thoughts later!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
  • Options
    ---
    Thanks for playing, everybody! I think overall it went well. There are definitely things I'd do differently if I use Roll for Shoes in the future, but as my first time running a PbP, I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I hope everyone enjoyed playing and reading along as well!

When I wrap an in-person game, people usually have questions and constructive criticism. Sometimes about the story, sometimes about the mechanics. I can't guarantee I'll have an answer if it's plot-related since relatively little of the story was planned in significant detail, but I'll do my best.

• Options
    Some thoughts:
    This game began almost exactly a year ago! That is quite an achievement; PbP games very often have depressingly short life-spans. That we kept Mystery Mansion going for so long and were able to bring it to a satisfying conclusion is capital-A Awesome, and we owe it OmLoz's dedication, punchy writing and splendid imagination.

I really liked how the different areas of the Mansion were all so varied and challenged us in some really neat ways. There was always a new and exciting encounter just around the corner.

I think RfS was a great fit for this kind of fast-and-loose game. The mechanics are super-simple and characters progress quickly so that you really feel like you're doing well almost all the time.

If I have one piece of constructive criticism, it would be that it was not always clear what application our Loot items had and as a result people tended to just stick with the same stuff. In particular, I had no idea what to do with my Brass Summoning Hoop.

I must also thank @jdarksun, @premium and @TheRoadVirus for being the best minions an archmage could ask for. You guys rule!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    That was a lot of fun! Thanks for running it, OL!

• Options
    Thanks for running this!
    I had a lot of fun.
    I don't really have much to criticize. Sometimes in between encounters I got a bit lost on what I should be doing, but that could have been a lack of creatively applying myself to the situation on my part.

• Options
    Sometimes, I put things in games solely to see what the players do with them. It's probably a habit better suited to live games, where it's easier to have a dialogue. In general, I like getting my players involved beyond just telling me what their character is doing. Maybe next time, I'll have a short PM conversation with a player when his or her character comes across something and I want to encourage the player to tell us more about that thing or try to use it creatively in play. I've noticed that in PbP games I've played in, the bottleneck is almost always the GM. I wanted to minimize that issue by giving you the freedom to say, "Hey what if I use this summoning hoop to call up the ghost whose room this was?" but in retrospect I might have wanted to communicate that intent to encourage more experimentation with all the random stuff I tossed out there.

As a sort of band-aid, I put some things in the game that would upgrade items and give them special properties, but I think you only found one.

• Options
    premium wrote: »
    Thanks for running this!
    I had a lot of fun.
    I don't really have much to criticize. Sometimes in between encounters I got a bit lost on what I should be doing, but that could have been a lack of creatively applying myself to the situation on my part.

Yeah, the pacing was a little tricky when nothing was going on. I mainly relied on people to use their skills to find something interesting or get themselves in trouble, but next time I could use those same rolls to propel things forward more proactively. Like when Mia would wander off chasing a clue, or when Davey got carried off to the fun-times demon's bowling alley by the haunted clothes. Do more, "Nothing cool here, and you kinda meander over here, and uh-oh..."

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I had a lot of fun watching this. Really liked the beginning with premium going from being a trick-or-treater to holy shit I guess I am a ghost.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    Yeah, I ended up playing things relatively straight compared to premium actually becoming a spectre, jdark going full fanatic and TRV .... well I don't even know what happened to Ellie.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    I was kinda sad there was still an uneaten chaos egg at the game's end.

In other news, I had an idea for a "biopunk" game using a different system and custom setting. I think that's what it would be called. Like if you had to give Bioshock a subgenre of fiction to fit into, what would you call it?

• Options
    Would You Kindly Punk

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Silent protagonist action fpsrpg