Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

I'm shocked, shocked to find that [Movies] are going on in here!

19596979899101»

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Its actually a lot more then
    Six but I don't think it matters to much since whether I agree with them I can certainly imagine that there are people in the world who think that any society that mercilessly murders even one person regularly to survive maybe doesn't deserve to keep going. Also I again would like to point out that Marty clearly didn't believe that the world would be without hope if the demons were released as his last line is something like "Maybe something better will come from this".

Also I'm going to theorize that Cabin in the Woods is a prequel to Buffy.

cabin in the woods semi spoiler.
    How could you think that movie is the prequel to anything :P
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    I find Clockwork Orange really odd as the film misses the point of the book so much by leaving out the entire third act.

I haven't read the book, but the movie tells a very coherent story I thought with very good points. I had to go get spoiled on the missing last chapter stuff, but if people saw that in the movie they would have declared it got "hollywoodified" and watered down.

The extra chapter apparently:
    After hes "cured" he gets a high paying job with the govt, and goes back to crime, but isnt as into it. He grows up and continues crime but just isnt into it, and laments how his children will be just as violent or moreso than he was. I don't think the(idea of) turn around does much for the story at all, but, I also havent directly experienced the book myself.

Ok stay with on this.
    The old ones break out and ravage humanity for so long that human society disappears from human memory but small factions of humans survive. A group of Shaman in one group get together and graft the power of one of the old ones onto a girl who they use to kick them out. The last demon to leave mixes his blood with a human to create Vampires and the line of Slayers fights them.

What about the part where
    the nations of the world unite to build giant mechs to fight the Old Ones but then Wolfram and Hart convinces the leaders of the world that it would be a better use of resources if they built giant walls to keep them safe.

shrykeKarrde1842Xenogear_0001
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx El Hopaness Rom Tic Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Some guy on Cracked, a website I usually love reading, just said The Dark Knight Rises is the new low point for the Batman franchise.

I guess if you pretend 90% of the Batman material never happened.

jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
    Gnome-Interruptusgjaustin
  • knitdanknitdan Oh no Too much hornyRegistered User regular
    Well this is the Internet, so the newest thing has to be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. Middle ground doesn't get clicks on your web page.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    NocrenjungleroomxJacobkoshshoeboxjeddyMike DangerSorce
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Six but I don't think it matters to much since whether I agree with them I can certainly imagine that there are people in the world who think that any society that mercilessly murders even one person regularly to survive maybe doesn't deserve to keep going. Also I again would like to point out that Marty clearly didn't believe that the world would be without hope if the demons were released as his last line is something like "Maybe something better will come from this".

I find Clockwork Orange really odd as the film misses the point of the book so much by leaving out the entire third act.

I haven't read the book, but the movie tells a very coherent story I thought with very good points. I had to go get spoiled on the missing last chapter stuff, but if people saw that in the movie they would have declared it got "hollywoodified" and watered down.

After hes "cured" he gets a high paying job with the govt, and goes back to crime, but isnt as into it. He grows up and continues crime but just isnt into it, and laments how his children will be just as violent or moreso than he was. I don't think the(idea of) turn around does much for the story at all, but, I also havent directly experienced the book myself.

Ok stay with on this.
    The old ones break out and ravage humanity for so long that human society disappears from human memory but small factions of humans survive. A group of Shaman in one group get together and graft the power of one of the old ones onto a girl who they use to kick them out. The last demon to leave mixes his blood with a human to create Vampires and the line of Slayers fights them.

While this is definitely cool and neat, I will award you points for that. I just took the ending as more literal
    the planet is basically wiped, the end forever

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Batman Begins is another in a long line of superhero movies that can't stick the landing after finally finishing the main character's progression to superherodom.

Examples:
    Batman Begins
    Iron Man
    Spiderman
    Captain America
    etc

This is why Unbreakable ends when it does.

Also Chronicle.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Ok stay with on this.

While this is definitely cool and neat, I will award you points for that. I just took the ending as more literal
    the planet is basically wiped, the end forever

I don't think there's anything preventing Cabin in the Woods spinoff stuff.
    We don't see the world end, we just see a giant hand emerge from the earth. Unless we see blasted astroidial chunks floating in space, Earth lives on. The doom of humanity might not be immediate, furthermore, because if the elder gods are just giant people (as is implied by the last shot), it might take them awhile to track down and kill all humans. The gods might even have different motives that the showrunners don't even know about.

All that said, I don't think that a sequel or other spinoff of CitW is likely or even a good idea. I'm just saying that it's easy to envision how the story could go on. If it did continue, in order to stay true to the original premise, they'd have to change track and take down different genres with each iteration. The next movie could be about deconstructing post-apocalyptic films and the one after that could take on dystopian flicks. Once Joss is done making Avengers movies he could give superhero films the CitW treatment, even.

Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
This discussion has been closed.