As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Console [Chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I want to hear that Al Jolson song "The Spaniard Who Blighted My Life".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r8SE4gxYlg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Okay there no way you're telling me in 2013 James John or joesph are not in the top names for boys

And aiden? Who the fuck is naming their sons aiden? Can I punch them?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    In my head that song is an unbelievably racist and unpleasant ditty about Spaniards sung in Jolson's deep, rich voice as though it were a lullaby.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2013
    Kagera wrote: »
    Okay there no way you're telling me in 2013 James John or joesph are not in the top names for boys

These aren't the names of people walking the streets right now. These are the names of infants people our age are naming.

So yes, there is going to be a generation of Emmas and Aidens and Aryas and whatnot.

edit: and in rebellion, THEY are going to name their kids shit like Hope, Chastity, and Constance.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the popular girls names are pretty good, but those boys names awwwwful

• Options

2013 data isn't actually availible, but for 2012, james is in 14th, joseph in 20th and john is in 28th place

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    Yeah Kids is my definitive 90s teen movie.

I've always been meaning to see that.

Oh my god this movie is horrifying and gross.

Maybe it's because I was a teen in the 90s but it sure seemed to be the thing to emulate then. I'm not the only here by far to grow up around then though so more voices would be helpful.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Bing Crosby was quite the looker in his younger years

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

2013 data isn't actually availible, but for 2012, james is in 14th, joseph in 20th and john is in 28th place

Well sheeeitt.

• Options
    Of the ridiculous names people give their kids Aiden does not rank among the top thousand.
    Little Hashtag Jameson takes the best social networking name title away from baby Facebook, who was born last year.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

These aren't the names of people walking the streets right now. These are the names of infants people our age are naming.

So yes, there is going to be a generation of Emmas and Aidens and Aryas and whatnot.

edit: and in rebellion, THEY are going to name their kids shit like Hope, Chastity, and Constance.

Yeah I am totally for punching the parents not the babbies.

• Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I guess in some ways Go kind of carries on the spirit of teen movies even if its characters are a few years older. It's that same general arc of naive young people being precipitated by their own youth and inexperience into situations whose consequences could be way more severe than they're used to.

That movie is great

I think it's one of the few comedies I've seen that's funny and dark right through to the very end. Most comedies tend to let up and go for a mawkish laugh-free conclusion to the main ark. Not so, Go.
    Wait: where's Manny?

the perennial problem in comedy is that stories generally demand plots (which require tension and stakes) but at the same time comedy requires a degree of surprise and subversion of expectations to work. So you end up with a lot of comedies where the plot kind of muscles out the laughs for the last half hour or so. This gets compounded by filmmakers who mistake SHOUTING AND MAYHEM for humor. The end of the Blues Brothers is a classic example. Everyone quotes the great lines from the beginning, hardly anyone mentions the 200 police cars destroyed in various ways at the end.

I want to disagree.

Put you make solid points.

But I still want to disagree

Maybe it's rose colored glasses, or maybe I just don't think that shift hurt the blues brothers as a movie.

• Options
    1.Sophia
    2. Emma
    3. Isabella
    4. Olivia
    5. Ava
    6. Emily

Good names. Ava is one I'm neutral about. But the rest are names I like.

1. Jacob
    2. Mason
    3. Ethan
    4. Noah
    5. William
    6. Liam

eeeeh. Also I don't think I'll ever not be at least slightly bothered by the last name as first name thing you guys do.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Of the ridiculous names people give their kids Aiden does not rank among the top thousand.
    Little Hashtag Jameson takes the best social networking name title away from baby Facebook, who was born last year.

I'm actually very glad we have laws against this kind of stuff

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    These are my kids: Dakota, Cody, Hayden, Aiden, Braiden, and Hunter.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I'm actually very glad we have laws against this kind of stuff

exploits_of_a_mom.png

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    @syndalis

discovered I had actually already paid for Mountain Lion, so have that on a clean install now. seems to be working well, though the computer still lags/crashes sometimes. currently playing with Mobile Mouse instead of suing my not very nice mac mouse.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm also fond of those six girl's names more common norwegian forms while only two of the boys names even have a norwegian form that's used. (Sofie, Emma, Isabell, Olivia, Eva, Emilie, no silent letters, all i's are the ee sound, and Jakob and Noa, pronounced Jakop and Nooah)

which is probably why I like those more

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Aiden is one of those horrible names that white suburban trophy wives give their sons

also stuff like Hunter, Jordan, Mason, etc

we are on the same wavelength here

• Options
    BobCesca wrote: »
    @syndalis

discovered I had actually already paid for Mountain Lion, so have that on a clean install now. seems to be working well, though the computer still lags/crashes sometimes. currently playing with Mobile Mouse instead of suing my not very nice mac mouse.

Apple makes amazing hardware.

Mice is not one of the good things they make. In fact, their mice are terrible as a rule. Trackpads are great though.

Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? How many OS installs have you done on this hard drive?

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Hashtag is kind of a neat name like Archer or Hunter.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I support weird names.

• Options
    I'm putting an @ in front of any child's name that I help give life to

• Options
    I support weird names.

there's nothing weird about archer or hunter, they're just more of that annoying surname as first name thing

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I like Liam as a name; it's pretty and Irish, what more do you want?

I also really like Sophia--it's pretty, it's traditional, and it means 'wisdom' which is something I would want my daughters to have. The only downside is its insane popularity. Your daughter will not be the only Sophia in her class.

Beyond that: I like gender-neutral names, like Sasha and Chris (particularly when given to the less-traditionally associated gender, like Sasha for boys and Chris for girls). You get one guess about my politics and how that relates.

• Options
    I was with someone for a while who wanted to name our future male child Storm.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Djeikob

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I'm a name my kid Dakody

• Options
    I'd never name a boy Sasha, it'd be like naming him bill instead of william. Or a girl for that matter, it'd be like naming her bill.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I support names that are gender neutral or are easy to change the gender of.

Makes things easier.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I was with someone for a while who wanted to name our future male child Storm.

N-nooo

• Options
    if I get a son and we agree to name him Arne after my father

then when she's tripping balls from the epidural and endorphins I'll name him Arnelius after my great-great grandfather. Who went by Arne, but he was named Arnelius and that's awesome.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    If you have a Mac that is slow or crashing after a clean install, something is wrong with the (in descending order of likelihood): HDD/SSD, RAM, Cooling Fans, GPU, CPU. The first is easy enough to check if you have a spare USB hard drive. You can install the OS directly on that and see if performance improves.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I used to be iffy about unusual names that looked like three other names had crashed into each other and some awful hybrid beast had wandered away from the wreckage. Sharoniqua, Devonisha and the amazing Jermajesty. They sounded silly, attention-seeking and kinda dumb. But I can see the point now, I think. It's your kid. They're amazing and you think they're the best thing in the world, so you try and reach for a name that's different or something you think could be beautiful because plain old John and Jane ain't cutting it for your amazing bundle of joy.

I mean, it's still attention seeking and silly, but there's probably a lot of love in those names as well.

The ones where the name crosses the line into essentially making your kid's name a punchline remain terrible.

• Options
    I'd never name a boy Sasha, it'd be like naming him bill instead of william. Or a girl for that matter, it'd be like naming her bill.

You name him Alexander(/Aleksander) but you call him Sasha. Traditional Russian.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • Options
    Though of course something like will.i.am is just laughable.

• Options

I don't even have to watch it. That video is a goldmine.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Aiden is one of those horrible names that white suburban trophy wives give their sons

also stuff like Hunter, Jordan, Mason, etc

we are on the same wavelength here

if my mum had called me hunter i'm pretty sure that i would have cut her throat in her sleep by this point

• Options
    if I get a son and we agree to name him Arne after my father

then when she's tripping balls from the epidural and endorphins I'll name him Arnelius after my great-great grandfather. Who went by Arne, but he was named Arnelius and that's awesome.

My Mom was in the delivery unit, delirious after a long, long delivery, and hearing the woman in the next unit having her child's name taken down. Her name was pronounced ambiguously by the mom as "C(o/u)ntrilla." The nurse asked: "so how do you spell that: is that C-U-N, or C-O-N?"

My mom, from apart the partition, just yelled: "C-O-N! YOU SPELL CONTRILLA WITH AN O!"

This discussion has been closed.