sugoi'ed a man in [chat], just to watch him kawaii

16791112100

Posts

  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Speaking of Nazis.

    Something I heard long ago, I no longer remember when or where, was that when Jewish families fleeing from persecution on train to Sweden arrived at their end stations, Swedish students would line up around the railway platforms and shout "Juden Raus!" at them.

    Though, this was supposed to have taken place long before the White Buses policy, mind.

    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

    I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Not sure if TLB is trying for a ban or just bored.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Somedays I really wonder why the west has so disowned its own martial heritage but seems so interested in eastern martial arts.

    Probably something something Orientalism.

    Being at the forefront of military developments, due to fighting each other like seriously all the time, will do that

    we abandon the old ways because they're useless

    while others like say japan occasionally did the whole stagnation and "we're going to fight in this way because honor or whatever" thing

    Japan stagnated but not because of honor. Japan stagnated, basically, because those in power benefited immensely from the country stagnating (ie, they would stay in power for good) and there wasn't outside influence to destabilize stuff, for a long time at least.

    But that kind of misses my point. I am not curious as to why we abandoned our old ways. I am curious as to why we are not interested in our old ways as much as we seem to be interested in the old ways of say, Japan.

    Mostly time, I think. Fighting with these weapons was the core of Japanese military until quite recently, whereas we long since changed to the gun. Fencing, horsemanship, archery, and other militaresque hobbies were very popular for a few hundred years after they stopped being useful militarily for us, and still are in the upper class in Europe. Same with kendo etc.

    There're probably some other minor misc reasons: Being a military dictatorship for a long time (yes, that's what Shogunate means). Losing their aristocracy soon after gaining newer tech, so less chance for these to become aristocratic past-times. Unarmed martial arts being important because of very strict controls on the access of peasants/vassals to weapons. A general rejection of folk arts and folk ways in Anglophone countries.

    Just time and a big mishmash of minor stuff.

    I figure I could take a bear.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah, and even though boxing has really gone downhill from its glory days, its still one of the biggest martial arts in the world. And there's kickboxing too. And the west has known about Judo as a practical fighting style (as opposed to ancient and mystical way of secret knowledge) since like, the 20s at least, I'm not sure it really counts as a new thing by now. Teddy Roosevelt did Judo!

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    knitdan wrote: »
    Not sure if TLB is trying for a ban or just bored.

    Why would you need to try for a ban? They're pretty easy to get.

    edit: although I guess a non-requested temp ban would require a certain amount of finesse to get deliberately.

    evilbob on
    DDLLLLDL - Bottom in November
    WWDWDWWWWDWWWWLDWWW - Premiers in April
    WW - Champions in May

  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Oh, yeah, and even though boxing has really gone downhill from its glory days, its still one of the biggest martial arts in the world. And there's kickboxing too. And the west has known about Judo as a practical fighting style (as opposed to ancient and mystical way of secret knowledge) since like, the 20s at least, I'm not sure it really counts as a new thing by now. Teddy Roosevelt did Judo!

    Inqi's mentally comparing Japan to America, of course, and I don't think most people get how ubiquitous martial arts are here. They're not the province of fighters - just about every kid does them in school. Boxing, wrestling etc are quite specialist sports in the west. Here, they're like soccer - you just do them in school, no biggie.

    I was quite shocked by it. And I did judo and stuff for years.

    It's lovely actually. Hardly any meatheads. My wife has a black belt in aikido. They particularly do naginata, archery and horseback archery round here. I see people carrying practice weapons all the time. And there's a swordsmith in my town. Just a shop, and you can go in and pretend it's D&D!

    I figure I could take a bear.
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    morning peeps

    i feel like all the injuries i've spent the last week repressing have caught up with me

    either that or someone kicked the crap out of me while i was asleep

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Sleep eludes me
    Life sux

    poo
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    ...And now it's pretty clear what he's doing. Only a matter of time now.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    ...And now it's pretty clear what he's doing. Only a matter of time now.

    whoza what now?

    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • BobCescaBobCesca Registered User regular
    Man, it's been years since I read Greek tragedy. This is bringing back horrible memories of Finals.

  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Sleep eludes me
    Life sux

    i woke up at half past four this morning when my phone fell down the side of my bed

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I just haven't been able to sleep a full night in ages

    poo
    tyrannus
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    who is TLB and what is he doing?

    god damn, i need coffee more than oxygen at the moment but i'm too tired and sore to go get it

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    There's a kid reading Kafka in his jammies on a bench outside my student apartment.

    Bless the young man.

    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

    I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    Kalkino
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Like, I totally get that reading Kafka in your jammies is just something you're supposed to engage in during your college years, but I never even gave a fleeting thought.

    Seize that moment kid, in your glorious jammies.

    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

    I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    who is TLB and what is he doing?

    god damn, i need coffee more than oxygen at the moment but i'm too tired and sore to go get it

    Going for a suicide by mod over in SE++.

    Reported for zombie fellatio.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    who is TLB and what is he doing?

    god damn, i need coffee more than oxygen at the moment but i'm too tired and sore to go get it

    Going for a suicide by mod over in SE++.

    Reported for zombie fellatio.

    fun times

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Rescued my phone, unblocked the sim, felt happy for myself, then as soon as that was achieved the headphone jack frayed so audio is now mono. F you fate or hubris

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    The only good cafe near work said it was open on It's website but what it meant to say was opening hours are flexible.

    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    The only good cafe near work said it was open on It's website but what it meant to say was opening hours are flexible.

    i hate when businesses do that

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
    Kalkino
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So today I discovered there is a Lego movie coming out next year.

    It looks delightfully tongue in cheek.

  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Fuck this coffeeless earth.

    CasualevilbobKalkinoBobCescaDunadan019DasUberEdward
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Somedays I really wonder why the west has so disowned its own martial heritage but seems so interested in eastern martial arts.

    Probably something something Orientalism.

    Being at the forefront of military developments, due to fighting each other like seriously all the time, will do that

    we abandon the old ways because they're useless

    while others like say japan occasionally did the whole stagnation and "we're going to fight in this way because honor or whatever" thing

    Japan stagnated but not because of honor. Japan stagnated, basically, because those in power benefited immensely from the country stagnating (ie, they would stay in power for good) and there wasn't outside influence to destabilize stuff, for a long time at least.

    But that kind of misses my point. I am not curious as to why we abandoned our old ways. I am curious as to why we are not interested in our old ways as much as we seem to be interested in the old ways of say, Japan.

    Mostly time, I think. Fighting with these weapons was the core of Japanese military until quite recently, whereas we long since changed to the gun. Fencing, horsemanship, archery, and other militaresque hobbies were very popular for a few hundred years after they stopped being useful militarily for us, and still are in the upper class in Europe. Same with kendo etc.

    There're probably some other minor misc reasons: Being a military dictatorship for a long time (yes, that's what Shogunate means). Losing their aristocracy soon after gaining newer tech, so less chance for these to become aristocratic past-times. Unarmed martial arts being important because of very strict controls on the access of peasants/vassals to weapons. A general rejection of folk arts and folk ways in Anglophone countries.

    Just time and a big mishmash of minor stuff.

    I think the strict controls on weapons was very important here. Gun control was a thing in Japan centuries before it was a major issue anywhere else, and the only reason the sword and bow arts survived is because the aristocracy from which the shogunate drew its power clung to those with incredible tenacity.

    fuck gendered marketing
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    the title of the [chat] is still making me giggle

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
    DasUberEdward
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Wow, that SE++ thread. The guy's profile is messed up too. Maybe a hijacked account?

    Some interesting things are in my work filter now!

  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Wow, that SE++ thread. The guy's profile is messed up too. Maybe a hijacked account?

    Some interesting things are in my work filter now!

    so i should be glad i resisted the temptation to go look?

    shit, i'm scared to go in the comic threads at work these days

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    hey SOTAR, how much longer are you going to be hanging around in the queens realm for?

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Kana wrote: »
    Oh, yeah, and even though boxing has really gone downhill from its glory days, its still one of the biggest martial arts in the world. And there's kickboxing too. And the west has known about Judo as a practical fighting style (as opposed to ancient and mystical way of secret knowledge) since like, the 20s at least, I'm not sure it really counts as a new thing by now. Teddy Roosevelt did Judo!
    The weird thing about boxing is the average person doesn't consider it a martial art.

    It's just boxing.

    Martial arts are from the orient, duh.
    I had an argument with a friend where I had to explain that martial = Mars. It wasn't in fact a Japanese word.
    Also so many Judo things are in older western wrestling styles. There are only so many ways the body can move after all.

    Antinumeric on
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Wow, that SE++ thread. The guy's profile is messed up too. Maybe a hijacked account?

    Some interesting things are in my work filter now!

    so i should be glad i resisted the temptation to go look?

    shit, i'm scared to go in the comic threads at work these days

    there's some creepy asian boobs

    DDLLLLDL - Bottom in November
    WWDWDWWWWDWWWWLDWWW - Premiers in April
    WW - Champions in May

  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Wow, that SE++ thread. The guy's profile is messed up too. Maybe a hijacked account?

    Some interesting things are in my work filter now!

    so i should be glad i resisted the temptation to go look?

    shit, i'm scared to go in the comic threads at work these days

    there's some creepy asian boobs

    oh

    wonderful

    like full on bare boobs? that'll be a ban

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is the option to buy iron and steel pretty much worthless due to costs in A Dark Room?

  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Wow, that SE++ thread. The guy's profile is messed up too. Maybe a hijacked account?

    Some interesting things are in my work filter now!

    so i should be glad i resisted the temptation to go look?

    shit, i'm scared to go in the comic threads at work these days

    there's some creepy asian boobs

    oh

    wonderful

    like full on bare boobs? that'll be a ban

    Based on that thread? He's not on the highway to a ban. He's booked a flight on a fucking Saturn V.

  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    i could never go to this website during work

  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    i could never go to this website during work

    w-why not?

    i write amazing erotic fiction

    its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    Winky wrote: »
    Corgis are totally the white people of dogs
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Hello and good morrow (from work).

  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Hello and good morrow (from work).
    Good morning to you (from an undisclosed location).

    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Hello and good morrow (from work).
    Good morning to you (from an undisclosed location).

    Isn't an "undisclosed location" always a cave between Afghanistan and Pakistan?
    So, good morning to our friends of the NSA, too!

    AntinumericCasual
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    alright shit I need to go take my driving test.

    Not feeling too confident but let's see.

    Good luck. How hard can it be?

    70% failure rate. It's pretty damn strict. To the point where people with american licenses have to take another test here, apparently.

    But i passed.

    ftOqU21.png
    Kalkino
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Hello and good morrow (from work).
    Good morning to you (from an undisclosed location).

    Isn't an "undisclosed location" always a cave between Afghanistan and Pakistan?
    So, good morning to our friends of the NSA, too!
    If you want to say good morning to the NSA just say it to the "empty" room.

    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    Haphazard
This discussion has been closed.