Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Strip Search - Finale, Part 2

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I'm excited to unpack my tablet and do some work, but yes time is currently a hot commodity! Sell sell!

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Amy's turn at the Kickstarter thing.

Give up those rupees. Give 'em up. HARD.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    seems like all the kick starters have made all the SS win heavily it's interesting to seee how much they are all making on their crowd sourcing campaigns

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Interesting is an understatement. Seeing Amy collapse into blissful weeping on her Twitter feed over the level of support she's been getting for a comic about how Internet friendship is still friendship, and the direction her life has gone in comparison to this time last year- this is the supposed villain of the season, mind you- just absolutely melts my heart. She's gonna get me crying before long and I don't cry much.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Fuselage
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So when is Katie's Camp Comic actually going to start coming out? Any idea?

• FrodoLivesFrodoLives Registered User regular
    Tavis has a kickstarter starting today!

FrodoLives
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    Wellp.

The bad news is that a combination of factors have conspired to keep me from finishing. No excuses for this really, but had I have been competing in the show I'd have blown them off. (As it is, this would have inconvenienced about 500 people, so not worth it.)

The good news is that I did finish all the pencil layouts, so I can at least show how the strips will be (and go ahead to finish them later) - I'll upload something tonight for y'all.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
    You still got a hell of a lot further than anyone who wasn't on the actual show.

edited August 2013
    Okay, Wall of text, and links, with some explanation.

"The Postal Service" is a comic about the adventures of fairly incompetent, but lucky adventurers in a slightly steampunkery fantasy world. The setting is one of my own, but it's a mash of fantasy and gaslamp.
    Additionally, the setting and story is the premise for a DnD4 campaign that I plan to run one day, enough is planned out for me to start.
    The world runs of the rules of DnD4, approximately for the comic.

These pages contain an idea of what the comic would be like. Content on the webcomic would come in multiple forms.

First Class Post:
    First Class comics are inked and coloured digitally. Currently with this approximate level of skill
    First Class comics tell a long-form story, with an arcplot.
    Comics are uploaded in batches, each of which consists of an individual adventure in setting.
    Each adventure approximately equates to one "level" of a DnD campaign.
    As the story progresses, the characters develop both in their mechanical ability as well as their characterisation.
    All First Class content is "canon"
    Characters remain "In character" - they understand the mechanics of the world they live in, but they don't make jokes about the rules or break the fourth wall.

Here are some pages to give some feel for the characters and setting
    Prologue 1
    Prologue 2
    Prologue 3 - The last panel in this page is in sepia, to indicate a scene change flashback.
    Prologue 4 - The panels in this page continue in sepia, until the last panel which would be colourised green to show a nested flashback.
    Prologue 5

Second Class Post:
    Second Class comics are hand-inked and coloured with crayons. They should look a bit like this
    Second Class comics tend to be stand-alone, or short arcs.
    Second Class comics update once a week.
    Comics tend to be individual gag comics
    Comics are not canon. Anything goes, so long as it serves the joke.
    Characters who died before other characters arrived can interact, enemies can be friends. Anything goes.
    Second Class content can break the fourth wall, make jokes about game mechanics, or generally ignore the rules about remaining in character. Anything goes.
    Characters can have abilities they couldn't normally have under the rules. Anything goes.

An Obvious Trap - The Kobold in the first few panels should have really terrible colouring.

Campaign briefing documents
    If the adventure proves popular, I would write up the campaign and the setting to be used as modules for people who want to run games in setting.

Character Sheets
    Character Bios take the form of mock character-sheets, (not actual DnD character sheets, but the written information appears in a pastiche of that format)
    There is a large piece of artwork to the side of the character

Corbin the White - Wizard
    Tansi Hackratchet - Artificer
    Summer Meadows - Bard

Merchandise
    Of course

Shirt Design and Logo
    Thinking of dropping the text on this.
    The logo design is supposed to be a two tone image in silhouette, so the details here are far too much, however I needed to draw them in in order to see the shapes of characters.

Roundup
    I don't plan on making this any time soon, but I will make sure to finish off the colouring to make everything look nice.
    I do intend to run the DnD campaign, which should help with fleshing out my idea of the story, and testing ideas out before writing more.
    I'm genuinely interested in feedback, both things you dislike and things you like. (It's important to know both.)

That's it!

ahdok on
    T-boltCantidemiaAusaHanClinto
    Tavis' kickstarter is slowly gaining support. I hope this one gets made. His art is so finished and multi-leveled it's amazing what he has accomplished so far.

Elbasunu
    Has anyone delivered on their kickstarter promises yet? And where is Camp Wedontwancha?

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    I think Katie has missed out on a lot of momentum with this delay.

The full site should have launched the next week.

• FizFiz Registered User regular
    It is almost impossible for a kickstarter to see results within the first couple months of completion. For webcomics, they have to get their web domain, design the website, trademark or copyright or whatever you do for that kind of material, etc. That doesn't even include having to go through all the backers and ensuring that they all get their backing rewards. The very last step will be actually giving us the webcomic.

I recently backed a group that is making action figures. We aren't even halfway through August, but I know that the earliest I will see those things is May of next year. Probably June. I want those freaking figures now. Blargh.

If I had been able to give the artists who didn't make the final 3 some kickstarter advice, it would have been to follow the layout that Katie/Maki/Abby had to follow. Present us with the comic idea, character bios, sample pages, merch designs, and tell us about how you plan for the comic to play out. We are getting some of that info with the kickstarter videos, but I feel like I don't know enough about Clique Refresh or Tenko King. Having that much detail about SuRe and TLH made people super hungry for more, which made their kickstarters instant successes. Heck, I looked through the work @ahdok posted upthread and already found myself wanting to read more.

The kickstarters that were posted after TLH and SuRe also have to deal with burnout. The further we get away from the time the show aired, the less people will . On top of that, most backers will find themselves drawing the line after funding so many projects. Will every Stripper get successfully funded? Probably. But the ones who launch their projects last will have to work even harder to convince people that theirs is the project worth backing.

juggcat.jpg
    ElbasunuSassori
    One of the things I think is interesting about Tenko King is the embedded cryptograms. I want to be a "Watcher" so I get the encryption key without having to hurt my brain too much.

edited August 2013
    Nick's said he's not going to do one; he wants to take the next couple years and get better before he puts something up.

Other than him, we've now got Monica, Lexxy, Abby, Amy, Maki and Tavis going 6-for-6 in campaigns. We'll see if Katie opts for one. Erika looks to not even need one with Oh Joy Sex Toy. Mac looks to be toughing it out without one too with Louisiana Purchased and Space Monsters Space Ships. I imagine Alex would put himself in the same boat as Nick. Which leaves Ty, who I'm noticing is starting to get rather steady guest-comic work along with Monica.

EDIT: Amy's CliqueStarter really got a second wind to it. It took a long time to get to $25K, and then it just took off all over again and is closing in on $30K all of a sudden. This isn't even an end-of-campaign thing; there's a week to go on it. ($30K, for the record, is the stretch goal at which Amy gets to send for her ferrets.)

EDIT2: And while I'm here, Alex did a thing. He will be selling it at PAX.

Gosling on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Katie says her strip should start in August... any word, any news?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    She's currently finalizing her move to Seattle, according to her twitter. I would expect it to start after that. Maybe around paxtime?

oB2vdx2.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    Amy wraps at $37,458.

ElbasunuSassoriFiz
    Tavis may be the last kickstarter, but I have the feeling he will be the first to deliver the goods.

• chromdomchromdom That One Oh yeah, I movedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    chromdom wrote: »
    Also, if you like me couldn't go to PAX, here is the Strip Search panel.
    http://t.co/Ao5OwEoHmP at about 5:44:00
    Watch it to the end. Shit goes down.

chromdom on
    Oh ya, I still give him some, just he goes savage on it, doesn't with any other food, little cannibal
    It seems to actually start at 5:44:30.

• chromdomchromdom That One Oh yeah, I movedRegistered User regular
    Gah! Sorry!

Oh ya, I still give him some, just he goes savage on it, doesn't with any other food, little cannibal
    I would like to note one thing, aside from the Shit That Goes Down At The End:

Monica and Ty. They made out like bandits.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    So Katie's facebook page hasn't been updated since July and there's still no Camp strip.

Did anyone say anything at PAX about the delay? Because I'm starting to wonder what the point of Strip Search was really, if there's no strip from the winner.

edit: I can't watch the video at work due to extensive discussion of rectal caffeine intake... Oo

spool32 on
  • HanClintoHanClinto Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    ahdok wrote: »
    Okay, Wall of text, and links, with some explanation.
    Awesome! I only just ran across this, and even though it's a month old, I hope it's not too late for feedback?
    The world runs of the rules of DnD4, approximately for the comic.
    I love this concept, and I really like the line that you're following with this.
    These pages contain an idea of what the comic would be like. Content on the webcomic would come in multiple forms.
    I love the concept of main arc and filler strips -- I guess I've seen other comics do this but I never actually noticed it / called it out in my mind until you pointed it out. Nice work!
    First Class Post:
    First Class comics are inked and coloured digitally. Currently with this approximate level of skill
    First Class comics tell a long-form story, with an arcplot.
    Comics are uploaded in batches, each of which consists of an individual adventure in setting.
    Each adventure approximately equates to one "level" of a DnD campaign.
    As the story progresses, the characters develop both in their mechanical ability as well as their characterisation.
    All First Class content is "canon"
    Characters remain "In character" - they understand the mechanics of the world they live in, but they don't make jokes about the rules or break the fourth wall.
    I absolutely love the final rule that you have here. That is incredibly compelling to me, and I think that's perfect.

Here are some pages to give some feel for the characters and setting
    Prologue 1
    The punchline of this comic made me laugh out loud. Well played. :D
    Prologue 2
    Prologue 3 - The last panel in this page is in sepia, to indicate a scene change flashback.
    Prologue 4 - The panels in this page continue in sepia, until the last panel which would be colourised green to show a nested flashback.
    Prologue 5
    Great buildup in the next few strips -- you managed great pacing of snappy and believable dialogue combined with good pacing and comedic timing. The characters have depth, and their interactions feel genuine and compelling / interesting to read. You've not just created a story -- you've created a story that I want to read.

Second Class Post:
    Second Class comics are hand-inked and coloured with crayons. They should look a bit like this
    Second Class comics tend to be stand-alone, or short arcs.
    Second Class comics update once a week.
    Comics tend to be individual gag comics
    Comics are not canon. Anything goes, so long as it serves the joke.
    Characters who died before other characters arrived can interact, enemies can be friends. Anything goes.
    Second Class content can break the fourth wall, make jokes about game mechanics, or generally ignore the rules about remaining in character. Anything goes.
    Characters can have abilities they couldn't normally have under the rules. Anything goes.
    I love that you're giving freedom to yourself as an artist to make these non-canon joke comics. Almost like you're writing your own fan / guest-art comics? So long as these are not used too frequently -- almost like cooking, and second class posts are the spice for your main first-class dish. That's just my gut reaction though -- I love this distinction and the freedom it gives you.
    An Obvious Trap - The Kobold in the first few panels should have really terrible colouring.
    hah -- for a standalone gag comic, this was pretty good. :)

Do you think it will be clear to the reader that such a thing is non-canon? Unless it's a very distinct art style (almost like chibi) then I'm wondering if some readers would miss it.
    Campaign briefing documents
    If the adventure proves popular, I would write up the campaign and the setting to be used as modules for people who want to run games in setting.
    Do I smell... stretch goal? :)
    Character Sheets
    Character Bios take the form of mock character-sheets, (not actual DnD character sheets, but the written information appears in a pastiche of that format)
    Very very cool. Initially it might even be fun to only reveal parts of a sheet, but you could selectively reveal character qualities / attributes as ominous portents / foreshadowings if they relate to an upcoming plot twist. For instance, if one of the characters was a berzerker and could attack teammates if in a blind rage and no other targets, or if someone had a tendency to betray for money (and this is revealed as soon as this person is handed a money bag) or some other such character flaw / quality. If this doesn't fit into your arc then it's probably not worth trying to shoehorn in there, but that's the sort of thing that came to mind when you described character sheets -- lying scattered on a table lit by candlelight with a few polyhedrals nearby, and we can see some information about the characters but some information is shrouded until it is time to be revealed later in the story.

There is a large piece of artwork to the side of the character

Corbin the White - Wizard
    Tansi Hackratchet - Artificer
    Summer Meadows - Bard
    Very nice!
    Merchandise
    Of course

Shirt Design and Logo
    Thinking of dropping the text on this.
    The logo design is supposed to be a two tone image in silhouette, so the details here are far too much, however I needed to draw them in in order to see the shapes of characters.
    The text is actually my favorite part! You're right -- the logo design is far too complex. This composition group shot would work excellently as a poster, but for a t-shirt something more iconic / symbolic (the crest of the postal service, for instance) would fit a shirt better.
    Roundup
    I don't plan on making this any time soon, but I will make sure to finish off the colouring to make everything look nice.
    I do intend to run the DnD campaign, which should help with fleshing out my idea of the story, and testing ideas out before writing more.
    That's a really neat combination -- a clever idea, to use your players to help develop your story. In that case the writing / characters would only be as good as the "actors", but it sounds like it would be interesting fodder nonetheless. I'd be interested in hearing more of how that turns out, and how well that works! Some of the most compelling comics I've read are so grand and epic in their scope that it's hard to imagine that existing or coming together adequately if distributed amongst the creative minds of a group -- so I don't doubt that it would be an incredibly engaging scenario for the players, but am wondering how good of a job that would do in creating a compelling narrative for us readers. Even so, I've enjoyed most of the Penny Arcade D&D podcasts, so there is certainly precedent there.

GREAT job working on this -- I'm seriously impressed that you stuck with it and got this far! Count me as genuinely interested in this concept, this storyline, and these characters. I for one would be interested in reading more!

HanClinto on
    Gosling wrote:

Monica and Ty made out like bandits.

Really? Time will tell if they lose their individual voices by writing another man's comic. On another note - it didn't look like Katie was a winner on that last panel. She's working at Penny Arcade with Mike and Jerry, but what about Camp Weedonwantcha?

FrodoLives wrote: »
    Gosling wrote:

Really? Time will tell if they lose their individual voices by writing another man's comic. On another note - it didn't look like Katie was a winner on that last panel. She's working at Penny Arcade with Mike and Jerry, but what about Camp Weedonwantcha?

She...she's been moving? Also she did work for fairway solitaire, and they announced working on assassin's creed so....

HanClinto wrote: »
    I hope it's not too late for feedback?
    I am a social media demon, I absorb feedback like a sponge.
    Do you think it will be clear to the reader that such a thing is non-canon? Unless it's a very distinct art style (almost like chibi) then I'm wondering if some readers would miss it.
    I'm sure, I might have to actually get my ass in gear and colour these, but they are going to look very different when I'm done.
    Do I smell... stretch goal? :)
    In the alternate reality where I'm making this and I have a significant audience, such a thing would make a valid stretch goal for a kickstarter - but I get an average of 30 visits a day to my normal comic, I'm not running any kickstarters any time soon :)
    You're right -- the logo design is far too complex.
    I need to actually make the digital logo to really analyse how much of an issue this is, I think.
    I don't doubt that it would be an incredibly engaging scenario for the players, but am wondering how good of a job that would do in creating a compelling narrative for us readers.
    Me too, which is part of why I want to do it. The nice thing is that I get to only use the input I like.[/quote]
    GREAT job working on this -- I'm seriously impressed that you stuck with it and got this far! Count me as genuinely interested in this concept, this storyline, and these characters. I for one would be interested in reading more!

I've got another project I'm going to do first, which should be super exciting, but I don't count this as dead :)

HanClinto
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    FrodoLives wrote: »
    Gosling wrote:

She...she's been moving? Also she did work for fairway solitaire, and they announced working on assassin's creed so....

She's doing some Penny Arcade Presents for Diablo III as well. So it looks like they are doing a good job of setting her up with work outside of her comic, it just would have been nice if the comic had started earlier while everyone was still hyped about it following the strip search finale. I hope there is some announcement in regard to when it will start soon as I thought the concept and early strips were fantastic and am really looking forward to it.

camo_sig2.png
    XBox Live: LostNinja05
    miaAusa
    It looks like Lexxy and Tavis are fulfilling their kickstarter promises!

• ArgusDubbsArgusDubbs Registered User regular
    Anyone heard anything about when the DVD is coming out?

The timing on that question is delicious re: previous tennant of strip search house.

Camp Comic launches October 28 according to Katie's Tumblr.

LostNinja
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Abby's launched last night :D

Camp Weedonwancha is supposed to go live Oct. 28!

It's off to a great start. Last Halloween is killing it also.

• NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Not sure where else to discuss this specifically in the context of Strip Search, so here goes...

Per Jerry's most recent post, PATV is shutting down:
    http://penny-arcade.com/2013/12/06/changes

No specific announcement has been made regarding a Season 2 of Strip Search, but they've always said that it would depend on how well the DVDs sell. Seeing as how the DVDs are still not out, I am assuming we should not take this news as confirmation that there will not be a second Strip Search.

Opinions?

edited December 2013
    Third-party PATV is shutting down. Strip Search, assuming Season 2 happens, would not be affected. Checkpoint, Extra Credits, and Shut Up Sit Down are the affected programs.

Gosling on
  • Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    I don't see a thread for this anywhere, and nothing comes up when I search for it.

Has there been any word on when the Stripsearch DVD is coming out?

Robert has said that the sales of the DVD will be what decides if they'll do a season 2.
    I want to but a couple copies of the DVD to do my part.