As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An Adorable Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Phil Fish is :rotate:

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    PHIL FISH ‏@PHIL_FISH 19m
    i wish i lived in SF. i'd constantly be crashing giant bomb. that'd be the only press i'd ever do. brad muir style.

When Phil Fish said he was going back to not doing interviews after the Polygon article, I tweeted at him to please not boycott GB, because I wanted to see him on another live show sometime in the future. He tweeted this immediately after. So Phil Fish sort of responded to me.

I'm never washing my phone again.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so let's talk about this panel to be held in PAX Australia

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Goddammit

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    According to anonymous Microsoft employees, the "family sharing" thing that was going to be on the Xbox One only gave people trial versions of the games, so the people you shared your games with could only play them for like 90 minutes

But it's a Pastebin thing, so take that for what you will

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The way they say "called out" makes it sound like they know it's sexist and misogynistic they just hate when people point it out. "Labelled" was probably what they meant to say.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

I wish I could find a clip of John Oliver's bit from the Bugle where he called Australians "comfortably racist"

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

Granted, I don't know much about the panelists involved, but man this looks pretty fucking dire

• Options
    According to anonymous Microsoft employees, the "family sharing" thing that was going to be on the Xbox One only gave people trial versions of the games, so the people you shared your games with could only play them for like 90 minutes

That may or may not be true, but I definitely always assumed that the Family Sharing thing was never going to be as benevolent as it sounded. There's no way they would just let you share entire games amongst 10 different accounts, that would be insane.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

That may or may not be true, but I definitely always assumed that the Family Sharing thing was never going to be as benevolent as it sounded. There's no way they would just let you share entire games amongst 10 different accounts, that would be insane.

I always imagined it as "you can lend your friend <insert game here> for <X number of days>. And your friend must be on line at all times to the Xbox servers to access the lent game.

What do you guys think?

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Five men and one woman discuss how there's totally no sexism in the video games industry.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I would like recettear way more if the customers didn't suck.

Now here's the thing, real customers do suck, but the game's tutorial is misleading. It's like "Be sure to double your prices" but no one actually has the money. Sometimes you get a bad rep and angry customers even if you're taking a loss. Again, very much like real business, I suppose.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

ibjizbpiNUnw1P.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I think you could probably do an interesting panel on how discourse in gaming has changed tone on issues like sexism so rapidly. That panel doesn't sound like it.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Wow, this looks pretty amazing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JttwiR5ETuQ

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I bet they spend most of that trying to justify how repetitive Super Mario Bros fucking is

I don't want to rescue another damsel goddamnit

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Who the fuck wrote that panel description

It's almost as dumb as the panel itself is sure to be

"It's gone too far and when will it all end?" Fuck yooooooouuuuuuuuu

• Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    better panel description: "guys remember the days when we didn't actually have to talk about the industry in a critical way, we just got to go to press junkets and get free stuff from corporations"

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    like why would you promote that about half or more of our species should be weak and require rescuing all the time

at least the new Super Mario Bros is homage to a less insulting one (Super Mario Bros 2)

• Options
    Yeah the description is just "This is bad and obviously everyone agrees it's bad let's bitch for a bit", why would I ever be interested in a panel that had no possibility for discourse?

• Options
    "Man, guys, we have been called misogynists a lot lately. What should we do about that?"
    "Stop doing shit that could get us called misogynists?"
    "Are you a goddamn idiot, Frank? Get the fuck out of here with that shit. You're fired. No, what we need is a way to get them off their soapboxes. It really hurts my feelings when they say the things I do hurt their feelings. It's a slippery slope. This whole 'empathy for my fellow humans' thing could get out of control fast."

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Funnily enough, the panel description was changed pretty quickly.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

I always imagined it as "you can lend your friend <insert game here> for <X number of days>. And your friend must be on line at all times to the Xbox servers to access the lent game.

What do you guys think?

I don't know what I really expected. They made it sound possibly really neat with their vague descriptions at E3, but I always figured it would be something more along the lines of what that link details: basically a glorified demo for any game you own. Anything more just seemed way too generous compared to all their other lending/reselling restrictions.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

oh Jesus fuck I shouldn't watch these at work

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    The people who put on the panels also write the description, which explains this as well.
    Giant Bomb Presents: The Blunder Down Under with Jeff & Ryan: The Line: The Ride: Live!

Not only have Giant Bomb’s Jeff Gerstmann and Ryan Davis tricked their CBS corporate overlords into sending them to Australia, they’ve also convinced the friendly organisers of PAX Australia to give them a panel! Now that we’ve gotten this far, let’s keep this international shell game going and see how many people we can fool into showing up for this ill-defined hour of nonsense!

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Does the games industry garner too much scrutiny from outside sources and within? With review score aberrations often called into question, writers are constantly criticised and developers and publishers professionally and personally attacked. Has it all gone too far? Can we all just get along and we work together to bring a new constructive gaming age into fruition?

Yeah that sounds significantly less terrible.

• Options
    It's gone from a terrible and ignorant description to something just plain dumb

• Options
    part 2 of the panel (the first rendition) is a surprise now

• Options
    how stereotypes are 100% okay and fun

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Wow, this looks pretty amazing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JttwiR5ETuQ
    what the fuck horror instrument do they have playing in the background, there. I kept expecting it to be part of a joke or something where one of the brothers is pretending to be a trumpet.

jesus.

• Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Does the games industry garner too much scrutiny from outside sources and within? With review score aberrations often called into question, writers are constantly criticised and developers and publishers professionally and personally attacked. Has it all gone too far? Can we all just get along and we work together to bring a new constructive gaming age into fruition?

Yeah that sounds significantly less terrible.

It still has "garner scrutiny" as a phrase, which is mega weird. "Garner" has generally positive connotations, "scrutiny" has generally negative connotations, and using the two in tandem smacks of somebody getting a little thesaurus-happy. See also: the weird way they use "aberrations" instead of, like, "variation." Aberrations are bad, by definition, and should probably be questioned.

Oh also there's a 100% chance they'll talk about how having to change their panel description is an example of the misandrists holding 'em down

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

That... would have let to a lot of disappointed people.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Crotch!

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

fairy nice

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    man i am so fucking furious about hotline miami

yes, the story is shit and cliche'd

but for the longest time i figured that was on purpose, with a meta-narrative of "games are meant to be fun" because the game itself was extremely fun, and it was making fun of overly serious and critical stuff to a point

the soundtrack and mechanics were satisfying, I loved the style

I will continue to defend the first game as a game, and I will continue to love the soundtrack, but the latter's mostly because it consists of curated original tracks.

whatever. I sent in my essay to medium difficulty, I hope it gets published. if not, I hope more people actually mention there is a fucking sexual assault in the goddamned tutorial.

• Options
    ok I fucking lost it at buckaroo of doom

• Options
    It's got dinosaurs and robots that transform into tanks!

• Options
    Gatsby wrote: »
    It's got dinosaurs and robots that transform into tanks!

if there is one way to get points on a video in my book, it is to do directional sound (or whatever the term is when you can tell the sound changes direction or source), so I was really happy at this line

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    X is gonna make me get a goddamn Wii U, isn't it.

And I didn't even like Xenosaga, played only two hours of Xenogears, and completely skipped over Xenoblade.

But mechs fighting dinosaurs...

This discussion has been closed.