As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things you want to teach your kids

MicroMicro Registered User regular
I was just thinking: what are the important principles, passions and ideas I want to instill in my future progeny? What are the important life-skills with which I would want to equip Mycroft and Spartacus?

I don't mean dull stuff like: "Manners" and "Courtesy" that we'll all agree on, I mean the slightly more personal attitudes that you would like to see continue in the future generations of your dynasty. Perhaps things you feel you lack, but you don't want your offspring to miss out in the same way.

Just a couple off the top of my head:

A healthy distrust of the hateful French
An interest, perhaps even a passion, in numbers and maths
A love of theatre
An knowledge of English history - especially all the fun pre-17th century medieval military stuff - NO ONE gives a shit about social and economic history. They might say they do, but they're lying, if only to themselves.
An ability to play a musical instrument
Confidence in performance situations - whether that's public speaking, presenting, negotiation, even acting

Perhaps if you've already had your kids, and they're all grown up, you might care to let us know what you wanted to teach your children, and whether you were successful?

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Micro wrote: »
    NO ONE gives a shit about social and economic history

man what

• B_RB_R Registered User regular
    I will teach my children to not post on the internet.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i am going to teach my kids to maintain a healthy interest in social and economic history

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Question everything.

Even that.

Especially that.

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    to kill, mostly

sig.png
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Micro wrote: »
    An knowledge of English history - especially all the fun pre-17th century medieval military stuff - NO ONE gives a shit about social and economic history. They might say they do, but they're lying, if only to themselves.

I dunno about any hypothetical kids of my own, but when it comes to my nieces and nephew I'm definitely going to work on "My not caring about something does not mean nobody does." There's some problems with that one these days, you see.

Zibblsnrt on
  • RinderRinder Registered User regular
    No butt stuff.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I think one of the things I like most about Crash Course is that they actually don't talk about specific battles in wars that much. I read my Dad's copies of West Point Atlas of American Wars more than enough times as a kid, it's nice to get a little more well-rounded.

Ahem, anyway, when my extremely hypothetical children ask me "daddy, why is the sky blue?" I will tell them exactly why, hopefully ensuring that the answer will inspire them to learn what words like "refraction" mean.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    how to disassemble and reassemble a blunderbuss in less than 90 seconds

That's all the learnin' anyone needs.

• MicroMicro Registered User regular
    If I need to be entirely clear: I was obviously joking about the French, and the kinds of history people are interested in

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    you are not forgiven

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    how to disassemble and reassemble a blunderbuss in less than 90 seconds

That's all the learnin' anyone needs.

But seriously, hunting and fishing and how to shoot and how to use hand and power tools.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    The true meaning of Christmas.

• MicroMicro Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    FWIW, 'distrusting the French' was (genuinely) one of the prerequisites for working in the UK Foreign Office 40 years ago

(source: my uncle who worked in the foreign office 40 years ago. In his interview, he was specifically asked: now we're joining the European Community and are forming closer alliances with France, what would you say our foreign policy position should be toward the French government. He, apparently, gave the only acceptable answer which was: "Work with them, but never trust them". I am CERTAIN that the French Foreign Ministry had, and hopefully still has, the same attitude towards us Brits. We all love each other, but in a frenemy sort of way)

Micro on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Don't be a dick.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    How to select a suitable spring using a 1948 korean catalogue.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    i-M4NZ5Tk-950x10000.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

how to extract the best flesh of the turtle using only a nail file.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    It doesn't count if it's just the tip.

How to fuck an antelope.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I will teach my kids the Force

it's a warm-up to chaos theory

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    yoloswag 420 blaze it

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    To love Rush.

brDe918.jpg
    how it feels to get flushed out of the warm uterine environment in a harsh wave of chemical abortifacients.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well by the time I have kids I'll be cyborg king of the entire world and immortal

so I'd probably have to kill them to stop them challenging me for the throne

Renegade Wolf on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I am teaching my son the necessary survival skills he will need during the impending apocalypse. Be it zombie, vampire, scorched earth, nuclear, or alien.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    New question SE plus plus, which forumer would you choose (actually what two because most of you predictible fucks will choose larlar) who doesn't have children (so they have no real experience) to look after your theoretical (or actual) children.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Some people are different, and their priorities will seem stupid and pointless to you. Don't show that you think that, because they're thinking the same thing about you.

There's no shame in playing the Healer - not everybody can kill a dragon, but everybody needs healing once in a while.
    (That will either be a metaphor or concrete advice depending on the situation.)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • B_RB_R Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I am teaching them to not name their children Mycoft and/or Spartacus.

B_R on
    Blake T wrote: »
    New question SE plus plus, which forumer would you choose (actually what two because most of you predictible fucks will choose larlar) who doesn't have children (so they have no real experience) to look after your theoretical (or actual) children.

Is this a binding arrangement?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nah.

Just who you think would do it best

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm not planning on having kids, but as a Godfather and Uncle I consider it my responsibility to expose kids to things their parents may not have time to, be it stories or games or even taking them to interesting places. It is my hope that exposing them to these things would encourage them to explore them in depth themselves, and develop a thirst for learning. However I have had difficulty enacting this due to geographical location.

Also if they ask me something, I hope I have the wherewithal to not answer outright, but give them the pieces they need to figure it out for themselves.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I have apparently taught my child that Michelangelo is the best turtle.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular

1. Tube
    2. PiggyChimp once Tube implodes.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Personface wrote: »
    I'd ask them what they want to know?

I do this when my daughter isn't talking very much, and then she starts asking me how stuff works. Last time we covered how helicopters work, how ant colonies work, and the concept of aerodynamics.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852

1. Tube

dammit that's just what I was going to say

well, I was going to say Tube and Piggy together and it has to be filmed as a reality show/sitcom

edited June 2013

1. Tube
    He'd be a pro at nappies.

Tube has shown himself to be able to deal with shit.

Blake T on
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    I'd teach them to ignore that bullshit that they teach in art lessons at school and to instead actually enjoy creativity.

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    how to spin on the Decks