As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Things you want to teach your kids

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I rode home in the rain on tuesday if it makes you feel better Nic.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Friday, Saturday and Sunday and all fine with 20 degrees though.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I rode home in the rain on tuesday if it makes you feel better Nic.

probably a better kind of rain too.
    Friday, Saturday and Sunday and all fine with 20 degrees though.

I never thought I'd say this but I'd kill for 20 degrees right now.

Like I know I won't shut up about the weather here but it's not hyperbole, it is seriously bumming me out. I haven't had a proper summer in four years and this one is shaping up to be the worst yet. Turns out, I'm not equipped for four years of a weather range that only hits between 'freezing' and 'miserable'!

I have an awesome job but this will be the thing that eventually causes me to quit.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Even in Winter we have great weather.

I have a friend who comes back to perth in the winter and goes and lives in france for their winter.

He says he knows it sounds a bit backwards, but our winters are good enough to enjoy the outside.

my strategy has usually been to take three or four weeks holiday around Jan/Feb
    last two years I've managed to hit butts weather back in aus though as well.

That's because you didn't visit us.

That's because you didn't visit us.

even apart from the weather it probably would have saved me a lot of mental stress if I had tbh

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Tynic, I promise if you're cold at Europax you can borrow my coat, ok?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

So you could have come to AusPAX in 2011 and you didn't?

:'(

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Damnit babies, you've got to be kind

So you could have come to AusPAX in 2011 and you didn't?

:'(

Nope.
    I only have limited time to catch up with people anyway, and 2011 my sister was getting married.

Almost everyone I know lives on the east coast or in adelaide so a trip to perth is difficult to jam in there no matter what.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rule nombre uno: never let no one know
    How much, dough you hold, cause you know
    The cheddar breed jealousy 'specially
    If that man fucked up, get your ass stuck up
    Number two: never let em know your next move
    Don't you know Bad Boys move in silence or violence
    Take it from your highness (uh-huh)
    I done squeezed mad clips at these cats for they bricks and chips
    Number three: never trust no-bo-dy
    Your moms'll set that ass up, properly gassed up
    Hoodie to mask up, shit, for that fast buck
    She be layin in the bushes to light that ass up
    Number four: know you heard this before
    Never get high, on your own supply
    Number five: never sell no crack where you rest at
    I don't care if they want a ounce, tell em bounce
    Number six: that god damn credit, dead it
    You think a crackhead payin you back, shit forget it
    Seven: this rule is so underrated
    Keep your family and business completely seperated
    Money and blood don't mix like two dicks and no bitch
    Find yourself in serious shit
    Number eight: never keep no weight on you
    Them cats that squeeze your guns can hold jobs too
    Number nine shoulda been number one to me
    If you ain't gettin bags stay the fuck from police (uh-huh)
    If ninjas think you snitchin ain't tryin listen
    They be sittin in your kitchen, waitin to start hittin
    Number ten: a strong word called consignment
    Strictly for live men, not for freshmen
    If you ain't got the clientele say hell no
    Cause they gon want they money rain sleet hail snow
    Follow these rules you'll have mad bread to break up
    If not, twenty-four years, on the wake up
    Slug hit your temple, watch your frame shake up
    Caretaker did your makeup, when you pass
    Your girl fucked my man Jake up, heard in three weeks
    She sniffed a whole half of cake up
    Heard she suck a good dick, and can hook a steak up
    Gotta go gotta go, more pies to bake up, word up, uhh

8406wWN.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2013
    I gotta find a better similie for rule number seven.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I gotta find a better similie for rule number seven.

Like two tricks and no... witch?
    Like, magic tricks, you know

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    also, it's summer over there so unless you want air conditioning bills through the roof ...

As a point of reference for how hard our AC was working, today is going to top out at over 32C. D:

TheCanMan wrote: »
    also, it's summer over there so unless you want air conditioning bills through the roof ...

As a point of reference for how hard our AC was working, today is going to top out at over 32C. D:

ok that's just adorable.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Oh nooooo 32 degreeees

That's like a nice April/May day here

lfYVHTd.png
    I'm not saying that it's incredibly hot, but when it's that warm out you don't expect to wake up in a house that's 16C. I think our AC must have been running full-blast for like 7 or 8 hours non-stop.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I'm just being a Dick

I am swordfights clearly we've never met

lfYVHTd.png
    I'm just being a Dick

It's true we've never met, but your infamy precedes you. :P

ok that's just adorable.

It got a little warm last summer, working out on the mine site.

51C in the shed. That's a buck twenty-four in the shade, in the old measurement...

I'm just being a Dick

Honest to god don't know if you're serious

lfYVHTd.png
    edited June 2013
    I'm just being a Dick

Honest to god don't know if you're serious

No, I'm not.

I thought about just awesoming your post and leaving the ambiguity, but didn't want it to be taken the wrong way. ;)

TheCanMan on
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I don't know about forcing my kid to take lessons in an instrument

but I'd like to play guitar and and stuff with them from a really young age and hopefully foster some sort of fascination/love of it. Just teach them myself, play along with them, and do like family band stuff

and then if they're really into it when they get a bit older, they can go to serious lessons and learn how to shred me up

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I want to teach my kids to learn, about everything, and anything. Either by reading books, going on Wikipedia, watching documentaries, or just asking me.

I don't even care if I don't know the answer, since it will give me an oppurtunity to plop them on my lap, as we scan the web for the answer.

I also want to teach them them to not just learn, but anylize. Look for biases, read from different sources, etc.

What I would not do is make household chores a punishment, since that just reinforces the unlikability of cleaning. I suppose my messiness is derived from my ADD, coupled with parents who would punish me by making me clean the entire house, lawnwork, dishes. Often, I couldn't do it perfectly (my mother was a drill sargent when it came to stuff like that) so, forgetting to dust the top of the cabinent in the living room led to cleaning the kitchen, which led to cleaning the dining room, which led to cleaning all three bathrooms.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Apparently the parenting techniques I favour will end up sending me to jail.

I'd smack my kid.

In very extreme circumstances, yes. But if every single other thing I try repeatedly fails to get the message across and my kid deliberately tries to hurt another person, they get a smack so they know the consequences of what they tried to do.

So I'm a monster, come and get me, mothering groups.

Nah, smacking the shit out of your kid as a last resort is not really abuse, if it's just that; a 100% last resort.

Sometimes physical force is the only thing that will make some kids respect authority. Some kids are just really stubborn that way.

I think the line between physical discipline and abuse is a very blurry one.

It also really depends on both the parent and child's perspective.

Mainly I think it comes down to "Are you making the child afraid of you?"

On that note, I should mention that Tracy, my oldest sister that I used to get into fights with a lot, also had issues with abusing her kids.

Like me, our Dad left his mark on her with the way he raised her. For a good while she would smack her two daughters when they acted out of line. Emily, her youngest, told me once how, one day Tracy went to hug her, and she cringed because she thought she was going to be hit.

Tracy felt so bad that she decided to stop hitting her kids entirely, and I think both her and the kids are much happier for it.

Although she and Hannah, her oldest, have always had trouble understanding each other. No matter what anyone tells her, Hannah always does pretty much whatever she feels she needs to do, even if it's not necessarily what's best for her.

She's far too much like her uncle, you see. :P

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

I'll swat a butt if need be

I'm watching three boys under the age of seven, I ain't got time for bullshit

lfYVHTd.png
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Nah, smacking the shit out of your kid as a last resort is not really abuse

That phrasing worries me.

A smack is just that, a smack on the bottom. More sound than anything.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yeah child abuse wooo

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    As a Social Worker, I

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    you don't hit them hard

a very light slap on the butt just kinda snaps them back

like this morning at 6:30 i heard footsteps in my sister's bedroom above my room

and i knew my sister and brother in law were both at work

so i went up and my three year old nephew was spraying cleaning fluid everywhere and on the dog

i told him that that's very bad and he could make himself and the dog very sick

so he laughed and sprayed me in the face

i gave him a light slap on the butt. not enough to hurt him, enough to snap him back and make him realize "i did something bad"

until you watch three boys every day from sun up till sun down, you do not get to tell me that a light spanking is horrible child abuse

i will straight laugh in your face

lfYVHTd.png
    I think people were responding more to Goatmon's phrase: 'smacking the shit out of your kid'

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Literally kill all children

that makes sense

lfYVHTd.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    that makes sense

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I think people were responding more to Goatmon's phrase: 'smacking the shit out of your kid'

I was referring to extreme circumstances.

Most parents don't have the sort of issues with their kids that lead to that happening.

Also, when growing up I knew quite a lot of kids who were in and out of juvie, the sort of kids that give no fucks about anything short of physical force.

Sometimes that's the result of really shitty parenting, sometimes it's the result of where they grew up, sometimes it's to do with mental illness, and the list goes on.

I've even heard some folks talk about how glad they are their parents knocked the shit out of them as kids, to keep them in line and make them stay out of trouble. It's something that parents should never have to resort to, but not everyone has the luxury of being able to avoid that if they want to keep order in the household.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    dude

I don't care how bad you have it

there is never a good reason to "beat the shit" out of your kids, because it generally means it could've been handled in another way

and I come from a household where I got smacked in the butt or hand with a feather duster handle, which is obviously NOT "beating the shit out of me" but can be controversial in many circles (being that I am, after all, a fucking Social Worker) - I don't begrudge my parents doing this because it was very rare, and we had to fuck up very badly to get it (and the rules were always clear and consistent as to when the feather duster came out, so we learned right quick)

there's room for "beating the shit out of your kids" being an exaggerated statement, but the imagery of "knocking your kids around" because you lack the skills to keep them in line in any other way is abjectedly not okay

100% of the time there is a better way to do it to achieve a similar result that did NOT involve "knocking the shit out of your kid", it's just that some parents lack either ability, capacity, patience or own upbringing to find that better way

Vivixenne on
    the kids who don't give a shit about physical force are usually:
    - the ones who feel they deserve it (but wouldn't admit this to most people)
    - the ones who have been exposed to it from an early age so that they interpret this as "normal" or "the baseline" in their reality
    - the ones who are trying to get people to wonder why they appear not to give a shit about physical force
    - the ones who have learned that this is the way you cope with shit when shit happens
    - the ones who care more about street rep than they do about their physical health, who are usually kids who have almost nothing else going for them that they can hold onto and be proud of

Especially since knocking the shit out of your kid is rarely for their discipline. It's for the parents to feel better, which is just wrong and is the hardest thing to judge as a parent as when you spank then you ate highly emotional and are likely to go too far.