Options

[Industry] Xbox One Doomed PS4 Doomed Wii U Doomed Ouya... Ouya?

Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Video Game Industry Thread! Where we discuss the business-side of video games and NOTHING ELSE.

THE RULES

This thread is about the industry. Business. It is not for you to get into a long debate about how the controls in Kid Icarus were so terrible. You CAN touch on broad reasons why a game failed to sell (crowded for that genre, it flat-out sucked, etc), but getting into minutia over games is a no-go. Video game announcements are also off-limits unless there's something notable (struggling company spend a ton on it as a hail mary pass).
Do not fanboy over a console/developer/etc. You are free to criticize a console or company, but getting irrationally defensive over your pet piece of hardware will be punished.
Stay the fuck on topic. This will be dealt with more harshly in here than in other threads because it tends to get out of control more often.
This is not a thread for every scrap of industry news. Sexism in the industry? Social issue: give it another thread. Gaming journalism sucks? Journalism is not the industry: discuss it elsewhere. This thread has a bad habit of being a black hole that sucks would-be threads into its event horizon. We need to focus here and let other news topic get their own threads.
VGChartz makes up shit. Do not post VGChartz.
Top Ten lists are link-baiting crap and should not be posted with the exception of sales figures.
Take care when linking anything with stats and information. Try to make sure the article properly cites figures.
Do not get into pedantic arguments. An old favorite is whether or not casual games should be covered here (spoiler: yes). A more recent one is what is meant by AAA (short answer: no one cares). This shit derails the thread and we don't need a page of discussion on what "free-to-play" really means. Get embroiled in this shit at your own risk.
Report people you think are violating rules. Calling them out just derails the thread and it might get you in trouble for stirring shit up.
This thread is still for fun! Enjoy yourself.

With that said lets meet the players!

playstation_zps293faba7.gif

Founded in 1946, Sony entered the gaming business through a bit of corporate revenge involving Nintendo and a botched CD peripheral. Prior to that, Sony was dabbling in just about every other type of electronic entertainment doodad: TVs, radios, sound systems, and so forth. It was probably inevitable that Sony would dip their toes in the games business, but Nintendo ushered that along by snubbing Sony in the mid-90s when the two had a deal making a CD attachment for the SNES. Feeling bitter about the ordeal, Sony went on to make the Sony Playstation, changing the market forever. The success of the first Playstation was in part due to Nintendo's own stubborn attitudes, but there's no denying that Sony's first console offered quite a bit, and its successor (the Playstation 2) officiated Sony's spot as the new ruler of the market. Sony, however, would eventually fall prey to their own hubris. The Playstation 3 was something of a misstep, being overpriced and plagued with issues here and there. A catastrophic hacking issue didn't help matters. While down, Sony isn't out of the game by any stretch of the imagination, and did manage to recover a bit of lost ground towards the end of the last generation. Well, for their consoles. The PSP and Vita are shaping to the latest trophies adorning Nintendo's skull throne.

xbox_zps3af0cad8.gif

Not just the only western company here, Microsoft is the only console provider that isn't Japanese. Founded in 1975, everyone knows about Bill Gates and his magic Window devices. Towards the turn of the millennium, the company decided to try its hand at the video game business. Coming after the quick fall of Sega, there were many skeptical of the market's ability to support three competitors, but Microsoft hulked out and brute-forced its way onto the scene with deep company pockets and very high-end tech for its Xbox machine. Oh, and this little exclusive title called "Halo" didn't hurt none, I'm sure. By embracing a hobbyist demographic with smooth online capabilities and the latest shooty gun titles, Microsoft not only found its way onto the market, but even narrowly beat Nintendo. Although all is not rosy, as the company has had...difficulties finding a warm reception in the East (we're talking old-school Game Boys outselling the Xbox back in the old days). The follow-up act, the Xbox 360, entrenched itself as a solid competitor in the last generation, and Microsoft is looking poised to have its turn at top of the heap if Sony and Nintendo don't step up their game.

Nintendo_zps9040289f.gif

There are three things to know about Nintendo: they are the oldest company here, the longest company in the business here, and are the crazed artiste of the group. Founded in 1889 as a maker of playing cards, towards the mid and late 1900s they shifted to toys and, eventually, video games. Their home console, the NES, took the world by storm, in part thanks to the video game crash of 1983 wiping out all the competition. I mean like, ALL of it. We're taking a 90+% market share here. Nintendo ruled most of the 90s with an iron fist, which bred bitterness among the third party companies that had to play ball with Nintendo. This allowed rivals such as Sega to become a much more appealing alternative to control freak Nintendo, ultimately culminating with Sony hosing Nintendo in the fifth and sixth generations. In the seventh gen, however, Nintendo embraced the casual crowd with the reveal of the Wii. Utilizing simple motion controls and a horde of mostly shit mini-game compilations, Nintendo's plan to convert non-gamers into flailing nerds was a resounding success. Kinda. While initial sales were immense, and definitely enough to make Nintendo Giant of All, it's looking like retaining this casual demographic is going to be a sticking point if the Wii U's flaccid sales are any indication.

valve_zps0f04ac97.gif

Founded in 1996, Valve is a private company and owner of the largest digital distribution/poverty creation device, Steam. They're up here because they're perhaps the one thing besides World of Warcraft that's been proving doomsayers about the PC market wrong for a good decade now. Numbers on Steam's control of the market are harder to suss out because of their private nature, but it's estimated that Valve has at least HALF of it. Valve is also looking to potentially become the fourth player in the console market with their proposed Steambox. Right now it's hard to say if this is really meant to compete on the same level as the big three, or just a cheap way to play most of your Steam library, but those of us who have dumped whole paychecks into a summer sale know better than to underestimate Valve. steam steam lol indeed.

Will add more as I can, screaming baby is holding me up. All text from last OP.

No I don't.
Death of Rats on

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    A proper OP, a single tear runs down my face.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    As far as E3 went, was there any talk about the handhelds? Everyone was focused on the next-gen stuff, I never saw anything about Vita/3DS at the outlets I read, although maybe they got lost in the piles of minutiae about PS4/X1.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I love the "Microsoft: Not just the only western company here, blah blah. Let's talk about Valve now!"

It used to bug me, but now I want it immortalized in every OP forever.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    As far as E3 went, was there any talk about the handhelds? Everyone was focused on the next-gen stuff, I never saw anything about Vita/3DS at the outlets I read, although maybe they got lost in the piles of minutiae about PS4/X1.

I think 3DS got some trailers and stuff, and I didn't hear much at all about Vita.

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    From what I understand, the Vita had solid representation at Sony's booth. I think they reinforced its position as 'indie handheld', but I'm not sure about full retail.

3DS, I'm not so sure. No big announcements I'm aware of, but they did tick a lot of boxes for that system earlier this year.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sorry about that, I was at work, did not see Geth's post, and seriously, no offense to it, but that's a terrible idea.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I'd really hope the Vita, for all of its power, doesn't become the "indie handheld". While it's a fantastic system and I love a lot of indie games msyelf, I would hope they would make some games on the level of Persona 4 or similar on it in future. It's kind of silly to expect people to pay the 250+ or whatever it is for a Vita to play indie games they can already play on PC or an iPad.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    From what I understand, the Vita had solid representation at Sony's booth. I think they reinforced its position as 'indie handheld', but I'm not sure about full retail.

3DS, I'm not so sure. No big announcements I'm aware of, but they did tick a lot of boxes for that system earlier this year.

There was more news on Pokemon, and a trailer for the new Zelda, but 3DS is doing quite well, so yeah, I don't think they wanted to focus on it too hard this E3.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    If they would just dip the Vita to $199 or less, I would instantly pick it up for PS4 remote play. I already have a handful of games for it thanks to PS+ anyway.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    On the one hand, I'm a big fan of indies and I'm glad they're finding a good home on Vita. On the other, a console can't really thrive on indies alone, especially since most of these indies are on PCs and iPads as well, as @aegeri said. The thing desperately needs big, exclusive games and a price drop, and Sony delivered neither. I know it was important for Sony to come out swinging on the PS4 (and they definitely did), but it kinda came at the expense of Vita.

Or maybe people inside the company know it can't really be saved and have given up on any big pushes that cost them a lot of money. Getting indies doesn't really require too many resources beyond being helpful and not being a jerk, after all. (Kind of amazed Microsoft hasn't figured that out, but Microsoft as a company hasn't figured a LOT of basic things out lately.)

Anyway, Gamesindustry has some interesting insight into why Titanfall doesn't have a single-player mode (it goes beyond "we didn't feel like it" or "the game style didn't support it"):
    Titanfall is one of the biggest releases on the gaming calendar for early next year, but it's not coming from an especially big developer. Speaking with GamesIndustry International at E3, Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella explained how the game's Microsoft exclusivity and multiplayer focus go hand-in-hand with the fledgling studio's structure.

"For us, we're a small startup studio," Zampella said. "We're 60-some developers. So for us to be able to focus on one platform [helps]. For us it was really helpful to focus on the core game and what's fun. It's scoped more adequately to what we have the power to do as a start-up studio."

Part of that scope means scrapping the single-player first-person shooter campaign template that Zampella helped define at Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward.

"We make these single-player missions that take up all the focus of the studio, that take a huge team six months to make, and players run through it in 8 minutes," Zampella said. "And how many people finish the single-player game? It's a small percentage. It's like, everyone plays through the first level, but 5 percent of people finish the game. Really, you split the team. They're two different games. They're balanced differently, they're scoped differently. But people spend hundreds of hours in the multiplayer experience versus 'as little time as possible rushing to the end' [in single-player]. So why do all the resources go there? To us it made sense to put it here. Now everybody sees all those resources, and multiplayer is better. For us it made sense."

Titanfall will still have some narrative, but it will be accessed from within the main multiplayer mode. Zampella was careful not to be outright disdainful of the single-player/multiplayer divide seen in other games, and said it could be done successfully if enough resources were devoted to the project. Assassin's Creed was one such franchise where he said the catch-all approach had clearly worked.

As for how he feels working on a new entry in the first-person shooter category dominated by his old franchise, Call of Duty, Zampella downplayed the idea of the two games as direct competition.

"Honestly, we're not shipping the same time as them," Zampella said. "We're going for something different. We're not gunning for Call of Duty. We're doing our thing. The important thing is to make sure what we're doing is fun. I'm OK with Call of Duty being big. I helped create it, so I'm proud to see it's something so big that it goes beyond me."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-18-zampella-titanfall-not-gunning-for-call-of-duty

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I don't mind that attitude towards single player, but I'm one of those that still like a purely offline comp stomp mode. Or even some varied one-off missions like Spec Ops mode in CoD.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I had no idea Titanfall was multiplayer-only.

Guess that saves me $60.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Yeah, I was actually pretty interested in the concept of the game and was looking forward to trying it, but since I'm not into multiplayer grinds it's looking like it's not for me.

I guess I can understand where he's coming from since the single-player part of CoD is largely ignored, but I don't think that's the case for, well, pretty much any other game series except for maybe Halo. (And as god-awful as those games' plots are that's probably for the best.)

At any rate. Looks like Australia is getting in bed with the Whore of the Orient.
    The Australian government has granted $200,000 to KMM, the production house that recently acquired the rights to Whore of the Orient. The company received this funding following the alleged dissolution of L.A. Noire developer Team Bondi, Game Informer reports. Ex-Team Bondi members, who formed Intuitive Game Studios, also received funding. Whore of the Orient was originally aiming for release between 2013 and 2015.

While hardly enough to create and complete a modern video game, the $200,000 provided to KMM by New South Wales' Interactive Media Fund could keep Whore of the Orient afloat until it finds an investor or publisher. The IMF is intended for "creative digital content projects that are commercially oriented and destined for distribution on web-enabled platforms or devices and interactive video game consoles...with the ability to benefit other sectors such as health, finance and education."

Team Bondi was never forthcoming with Whore of the Orient information prior to its closure, so it's uncertain how, exactly, the project will benefit any of those pieces of Australian infrastructure.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/team-bondis-whore-of-the-orient-receives-funding

So, that'll keep them afloat for another month? There's no way in hell it'll get a publisher unless the Australian government decides to get into publishing.

1. The name.
    2. Team Bondi set ginormous stacks of money on fire and had to be rescued by Rockstar.
    3. The increasingly risk-averse industry where even the goddam Thief sequel has big explody set pieces.
    4. Dear lord, the name.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »

Guess that saves me $60.

That's a shame, I really wanted this one to.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Sony SVP:Most gamers don't want to buy online yet.
    Digital distribution is going to be an issue for next-gen consoles, as Microsoft has already announced that new titles will be available digitally at the same time as they are available in stores. Certainly discs are an efficient way to distribute content, but how will Sony balance the needs of retailers with what's good for the gamers? "I think the reality is this: Our digital business is growing fast, and we have incredibly strong partnerships with our key retail partners as well," said Longworth. "What we try to do is offer a relatively level playing field and let the gamers decide. We're not trying to advantage them, we believe in consumer choice. It's clear that the vast majority of the people want to go down to GameStop or Best Buy, they don't want to buy it online right now. How that might change in the future is kind of hard to predict. People might be quite surprised, I think physical games will be around a lot longer than some people think."

The man speaks the truth.

And the song to my heart for which I shall throw money at him.

• Options
    I'm surprised people haven't brought up the fact that Sony's been to that rodeo before.

psp-go-unboxing-hands-022-rm-eng-1253319263.jpg

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Guess that saves me $60.

It's exclusive to the Xboxes and Windows 8 apparently, if that helps.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    They should really bring in Titanfall at a lower price point and then beef up the back end with some DLC stuff maybe. Although I don't personally have an issue paying $60 for a multiplayer only game, since I've done it with CoD, Battlefield games, and a few others. As long as its good I don't really care since the time/value is really good.
    Unless that game is Brink, which Titanfall sounds suspiciously like.

Those Team Bondi guys are idiots, they're trying to do this like, New Hollywood attitude thing with their games. And they don't really have the money or the talent or the audience to pull it off. Maybe they should make Whore of the Orient a visual novel with that 200,000.

• Options
    The only reason I still buy physical copies is the used game safety net.

If I don't like it, I can put it on Ebay and recoup 2/3 of my money.

Until there is a compelling reason to choose download over disc other than "I didn't have to go to the store" I will continue this practice.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular

Guess that saves me $60.

Its not W8 exclusive. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594591

• Options
    edited June 2013
    L.A. Noire was probably the most conceptually and economically successful of the small crop of games completely centered around narrative, but even then there were some pretty big problems (the overplayed serial killer, the fact that the main character gets into an affair for no apparent reason other than to drive the plot forward, and the random action-fest ending). And I wonder if it would have sold nearly as well if it didn't have the Rockstar name behind it.

But yeah, there's probably no real room for AAA games like this anymore. Well, beyond Quantic Dream's Scary Ellen Page thing. Though I'm just praying David Cage gets himself a story editor for once.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

Guess that saves me $60.

And Respawn came as close to saying it will come to PS4 as their contract allows. But there is no indication of when.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Guess that saves me $60.

And Respawn came as close to saying it will come to PS4 as their contract allows. But there is no indication of when.

It was a really vague statement. Something about knowing the fans want it and who knows the future, but we are happy where we are right now.

You could read that kind of statement any way you want. My feeling is that Titanfall will probably end up on the PS4, but well after the bloom is off the rose for most people regarding that game, and a wealth of other software arrives to fill the gaps.

Much like Mass Effect 1, or Bioshock last generation.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Reveal the Xbox One and have it along with it's policies harshly criticized so bad that you have to completely change everything doesn't mean you still can't get promoted
    According to sources close to the situation, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is working on what is likely to turn into a significant restructuring of the massive software company, which could also move several current execs to more prominent roles.

Sources noted that the changes — which center on solidifying Microsoft into the “devices and services company” that Ballmer wrote about in his annual shareholder letter last October — are still being worked out, and could still change substantively.

But, noted several people close to the situation, the new configuration could include larger roles for several execs, including Satya Nadella, president of its Servers and Tools division; Tony Bates, president of its Skype communications division; and Don Mattrick, president of its Interactive Entertainment division.

How their new and perhaps expanded roles and those of others in top management will shake out is unclear.

That would be ironic. Don't you think.

*Looks at gold parachutes at other major companies*

Then again.....this is par the course isn't it for those in charge.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Reveal the Xbox One and have it along with it's policies harshly criticized so bad that you have to completely change everything doesn't mean you still can't get promoted
    According to sources close to the situation, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is working on what is likely to turn into a significant restructuring of the massive software company, which could also move several current execs to more prominent roles.

Sources noted that the changes — which center on solidifying Microsoft into the “devices and services company” that Ballmer wrote about in his annual shareholder letter last October — are still being worked out, and could still change substantively.

But, noted several people close to the situation, the new configuration could include larger roles for several execs, including Satya Nadella, president of its Servers and Tools division; Tony Bates, president of its Skype communications division; and Don Mattrick, president of its Interactive Entertainment division.

How their new and perhaps expanded roles and those of others in top management will shake out is unclear.

Its also possible he is being "kicked upstairs" - give him a better sounding title while shuffling him into a position far less front-facing that makes fewer decisions for the brand.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

♪ It's like ray-ee-aiiiiiiiin on your conference day ♫
    ♫ It's public outcryyyyyyy when nobody can trade ♪
    ♪ It's the good adviiiiiiiiiiice that you just didn't take ♫
    ♫ And who would've thought...it figures ♪

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I was actually pretty interested in the concept of the game and was looking forward to trying it, but since I'm not into multiplayer grinds it's looking like it's not for me.

I guess I can understand where he's coming from since the single-player part of CoD is largely ignored, but I don't think that's the case for, well, pretty much any other game series except for maybe Halo. (And as god-awful as those games' plots are that's probably for the best.)

At any rate. Looks like Australia is getting in bed with the Whore of the Orient.
    The Australian government has granted $200,000 to KMM, the production house that recently acquired the rights to Whore of the Orient. The company received this funding following the alleged dissolution of L.A. Noire developer Team Bondi, Game Informer reports. Ex-Team Bondi members, who formed Intuitive Game Studios, also received funding. Whore of the Orient was originally aiming for release between 2013 and 2015.

While hardly enough to create and complete a modern video game, the $200,000 provided to KMM by New South Wales' Interactive Media Fund could keep Whore of the Orient afloat until it finds an investor or publisher. The IMF is intended for "creative digital content projects that are commercially oriented and destined for distribution on web-enabled platforms or devices and interactive video game consoles...with the ability to benefit other sectors such as health, finance and education."

Team Bondi was never forthcoming with Whore of the Orient information prior to its closure, so it's uncertain how, exactly, the project will benefit any of those pieces of Australian infrastructure.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/team-bondis-whore-of-the-orient-receives-funding

So, that'll keep them afloat for another month? There's no way in hell it'll get a publisher unless the Australian government decides to get into publishing.

1. The name.
    2. Team Bondi set ginormous stacks of money on fire and had to be rescued by Rockstar.
    3. The increasingly risk-averse industry where even the goddam Thief sequel has big explody set pieces.
    4. Dear lord, the name.

That name....

Is the game about Ching Shih? Because I would play the shit out of that game. Chinese hooker turned pirate queen? fuck yeah.

But it will never sell with that name...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    CEOs, board members, etc do not operate in the reality that you and I work in. Big wig W gets hired for X amount of money to do Y. Regardless of whether or not Y is a good product, the fact that Y happened under W's tenure as per his/her contract means W not only gets a bonus but possibly some more mobility. "Y sucks but we're gonna work on it/roll out another product/etc". Y goes to work on their next goal post. Repeat until big wig W doesn't meet company Z's plans and W gets to go home and spend time with his family with a big severance.

It's not "W ruined Z in this industry." It's "W met all of these goals before this final one was missed. 8 out of 10 is a good record!"

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Its also possible he is being "kicked upstairs" - give him a better sounding title while shuffling him into a position far less front-facing that makes fewer decisions for the brand.
    Don Mattrick is by most accounts a pretty smart guy who knows his shit so by all means promote him, just keep him the hell away from the media. And the public.

You know what, just don't let him talk to anyone.

• Options
    I don't know anyone else that wouldn't have gotten flustered in Mattrick's position given the unprecedented amount of backlash from the media.

Still, he didn't handle it as well as he could have.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

This could be very bad. Even if Mattrick retains his position, a restructure of the company could alter how much final-say / decision making power he ends up with (which is to say, more - I mean that's the point of a restructure right? to cut down on red-tape and unnecessary filters).

• Options
    So Minecraft is doing okay.
    Minecraft has sold more than 11 million on PC and Mac, according to the game's website. That's a surge of more than 1 million sales on PC alone since March, never mind the constant success of the exploration/creation game on Xbox 360 and mobile.

This brings the lifetime sales of Minecraft to at least 22 million, including the 6 million on Xbox 360 and 5 million on mobile.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/24/minecraft-sales-surpass-11-million

Wow. Still amazed at the legs this sucker has.

Speaking of Microsoft, they're doing the thing people keep begging Nintendo to do.
    Microsoft Corp will offer its console and computer games for Apple Inc's iPhone and other smartphone platforms this fiscal year, through a tie-up with Japanese smartphone game maker Klab Inc, the Nikkei said on Monday.

Through a licensing deal, Klab will bring Microsoft's Xbox and Windows-based computer games to the iPhone and smartphones using Google Inc's Android operating system, according to the Nikkei.

Microsoft's "Age of the Empires" will be available as a free-to-play game worldwide on smartphones by the end of the fiscal year 2013 and other titles will follow, the report said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/24/us-microsoft-games-idUSBRE95N16J20130624?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ouya Launch Day! It's sold out already on Amazon already so get in line somewhere! I love how the official Twitter account promotes it by stating you you play pirated NES games.

7FevnR1.png

Allforce on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I cannot imagine playing Minecraft on a controller, let alone a tablet/phone.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    It works just great on the 360 (which has recently had the retail version of Minecraft launch on it).

forumsig.png
  • Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    The Ouya team just posted an update apologising to early backers who still haven't received their console after the retail launch. They previously said all backer consoles had shipped by 24 May, but a lot of comments suggest the Hong Kong dispatch only received some packages today. It appears some backers are also being slugged with import fees that the retail versions wouldn't attract.
    Backers,

I am pissed. Some of you have not yet received your OUYA -- and, to you, I apologize. I did not promise to ship to *most* of you before we hit store shelves. I promised to ship to *all* of you. I’ve been reading your comments, and we are working to solve this.

The comments page offers some solid schadenfreude if that's your thing.

Gutterkisser on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    AFAIK, there is a blanket ban on kickstarter links so you might want to edit that out.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    So, everyone kind of knew that with Ouya marketing the thing as an "open" and hack-able console, and with so few restrictions on the marketplace for Ouya, that a great many people buying Ouyas would be using it for emulation. However, Ouya has been not-so-cleverly marketing it as "The console for indies!" and "The open console! Hack it all you like! It's fun!" I mean, they knew the deal; people will buy it to pirate stuff / run emulators. I just find it hilarious that they didn't slip up and use that as a talking point until the launch day.

• Options
    I'm wondering if it was less a slipup and more a calculated risk to get attention and emphasize the thing's unspoken selling point.

This discussion has been closed.