As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Industry] Xbox One Doomed PS4 Doomed Wii U Doomed Ouya... Ouya?

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    AFAIK, there is a blanket ban on kickstarter links so you might want to edit that out.

I thought the ban was just for ones that are still open for funding? Ones that are complete are basically news pages.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Allforce wrote: »
    Ouya Launch Day! It's sold out already on Amazon already so get in line somewhere! I love how the official Twitter account promotes it by stating you you play pirated NES games.

7FevnR1.png

I wish Nintendo somehow could sue the fuck outta them.

Also I was vaguely interested in the Ouya until I saw Ashens' review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf_jmGaanuY

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    So the Ouya has a wider selection on its "Virtual Console" than the Wii U?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Of course it does... The entire NES library.

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    The actual hardware on the Ouya is pretty good. But unfortunately the OS is garbage and the controller is even worse.

The controller problem is solved by just using a ps3 or 360 controller. But from what I've heard the console isn't quite as "hackable and open" as they would make people believe as the boot loader is finicky, and doesn't have much of a recovery mode, so it's really easy to brick the device, some work is being done to fix this though, might be a worthwhile new OS for the thing in 6 months.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mmm. So the Ouya is as lame and disappointing as everybody expected it to be.

How very... expected.

I mean, if I wanted to use an Android platform to play a bunch of Android or old games with a controller, why wouldn't I just use my Android tablet or Android phone... with a controller?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    AFAIK, there is a blanket ban on kickstarter links so you might want to edit that out.

I thought it was just active kickstarters that are still looking for money; finished ones are okay though, right?

Or maybe I'm thinking of Giant Bomb.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I could be wrong about kickstarters. I just read
    Your kickstarter (or the kickstarters of others). There is a blanket ban on the linking of kickstarters.

and decided to play it safe, I guess.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Okay, so according to Ashens' review of the Ouya, N64 emulating software was STILL available (at least as of two days ago).

Didn't the Internet point that out a couple months ago? And wouldn't most reasonable businesses realize that could make them a lawsuit magnet?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Okay, so according to Ashens' review of the Ouya, N64 emulating software was STILL available (at least as of two days ago).

Didn't the Internet point that out a couple months ago? And wouldn't most reasonable businesses realize that could make them a lawsuit magnet?

How's that different from NES games? Is it just that more of those companies are still around, selling HD versions of those games?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular

Emulation software itself isn't illegal, as was proven back in the day with the Bleem! lawsuits. So as long as they aren't packaging in copyrighted roms with the console they're not doing anything wrong.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • SemiHollowCarrotSemiHollowCarrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Foomy wrote: »
    The actual hardware on the Ouya is pretty good. But unfortunately the OS is garbage and the controller is even worse.

The controller problem is solved by just using a ps3 or 360 controller. But from what I've heard the console isn't quite as "hackable and open" as they would make people believe as the boot loader is finicky, and doesn't have much of a recovery mode, so it's really easy to brick the device, some work is being done to fix this though, might be a worthwhile new OS for the thing in 6 months.

It uses the Tegra 3, the opposite of pretty good. :(

They gonna sue Microsoft and Dell next?

SemiHollowCarrot on
    Foomy wrote: »

It uses the Tegra 3, the opposite of pretty good. :(

Microsoft or Dell markets their product as a NES Emulation machine?

FU7kFbw.png
    Neither does Ouya.

edited June 2013
    Neither does Ouya.

They're promoting Ouya with an emulated NES game. I don't see how that's not marketing their product towards emulation of licensed games.

Turkey on
    edited June 2013
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

They don't advertise their hardware with a picture of someone playing a SMB rom on it :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Turkey wrote: »
    Neither does Ouya.

They're promoting Ouya with an emulated NES game. I don't see how that's not marketing their product towards emulation of licensed games.

A tweet and marketing are two different things. :)

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Was it a tweet from their official twitter account?

urahonky wrote: »
    Was it a tweet from their official twitter account?

Yes, and the tweet specifically says "reasons to buy a Ouya"

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Official Twitter accounts for companies are pretty much by definition marketing.

edited June 2013
    Eh. I guess you're right. From what I've read, the Ouya people are pretty shady all around.

SemiHollowCarrot on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Shady how? That twitter post is too honest if anything...

Xeddicus wrote: »
    Shady how? That twitter post is too honest if anything...

I've read a good bit about undelivered units, broken units, cheap parts, horrible customer service...

Considering the disaster of a presentation the CEO gave at SXSW my money's on them just being disorganized as all fuck.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was actually pretty interested in the concept of the game and was looking forward to trying it, but since I'm not into multiplayer grinds it's looking like it's not for me.

I guess I can understand where he's coming from since the single-player part of CoD is largely ignored, but I don't think that's the case for, well, pretty much any other game series except for maybe Halo. (And as god-awful as those games' plots are that's probably for the best.)

At any rate. Looks like Australia is getting in bed with the Whore of the Orient.
    The Australian government has granted $200,000 to KMM, the production house that recently acquired the rights to Whore of the Orient. The company received this funding following the alleged dissolution of L.A. Noire developer Team Bondi, Game Informer reports. Ex-Team Bondi members, who formed Intuitive Game Studios, also received funding. Whore of the Orient was originally aiming for release between 2013 and 2015.

While hardly enough to create and complete a modern video game, the $200,000 provided to KMM by New South Wales' Interactive Media Fund could keep Whore of the Orient afloat until it finds an investor or publisher. The IMF is intended for "creative digital content projects that are commercially oriented and destined for distribution on web-enabled platforms or devices and interactive video game consoles...with the ability to benefit other sectors such as health, finance and education."

Team Bondi was never forthcoming with Whore of the Orient information prior to its closure, so it's uncertain how, exactly, the project will benefit any of those pieces of Australian infrastructure.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/21/team-bondis-whore-of-the-orient-receives-funding

So, that'll keep them afloat for another month? There's no way in hell it'll get a publisher unless the Australian government decides to get into publishing.

1. The name.
    2. Team Bondi set ginormous stacks of money on fire and had to be rescued by Rockstar.
    3. The increasingly risk-averse industry where even the goddam Thief sequel has big explody set pieces.
    4. Dear lord, the name.

Australia, meet Rhode Island.

Rhode Island, Australia.

kyrcl.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Turkey wrote: »

Yeah, we started that account a few months ago and weren't THAT subtle about it (the only people following it at first were people involved with Zeboyd Games and I gave some hints about it). A couple people figured it out early but I'm surprised that no major website did.

RainbowDespair on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Considering the disaster of a presentation the CEO gave at SXSW my money's on them just being disorganized as all fuck.

Go on @cloudeagle...

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So apparently this happened (via gaf):
    Yahoo.com wrote:
    Adventurers in the online game "World of Warcraft" generally have to worry about bandits and dragons, but their most dangerous threat this week comes in the form of gold-hungry hackers. By exploiting the Web and mobile applications for the game's Auction House (which allows players to buy and sell items), malefactors have stolen millions of gold pieces, but players who use two-step authentication are relatively safe.

"We have taken the Web and Mobile Auction House offline to perform an emergency maintenance," wrote a customer service representative on the forums. "Unfortunately we can't provide an ETA as to when they will be brought back online."
    Blizzard is still not sure how hackers compromised the Auction House apps, but a number of users tell similar stories: After using the Auction House apps, they logged in a few days later to find tons of gold missing from their accounts, often exchanged for absolute junk.

I guess the lesson is that Blizzard should have used Azure.

On a side note, I read that Azure has hit 1 billion in revenue for the last year. That puts it in the same ballpark as WoW.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited June 2013
    Yahoo.com wrote:
    Adventurers in the online game "World of Warcraft" generally have to worry about bandits and dragons, but their most dangerous threat this week comes in the form of gold-hungry hackers. By exploiting the Web and mobile applications for the game's Auction House (which allows players to buy and sell items), malefactors have stolen millions of gold pieces, but players who use two-step authentication are relatively safe.

"We have taken the Web and Mobile Auction House offline to perform an emergency maintenance," wrote a customer service representative on the forums. "Unfortunately we can't provide an ETA as to when they will be brought back online."
    Blizzard is still not sure how hackers compromised the Auction House apps, but a number of users tell similar stories: After using the Auction House apps, they logged in a few days later to find tons of gold missing from their accounts, often exchanged for absolute junk.

On a side note, I read that Azure has hit 1 billion in revenue for the last year. That puts it in the same ballpark as WoW.

I wonder if any of those people had authenticators...

Warlock82 on
  • OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    GAME UK's webpage for the Ouya even has a SNES emulator as a selling point;

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=214785&articleId=214786&storeId=10151

hub_Ouya_2013_09.jpg

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    GAME UK's webpage for the Ouya even has a SNES emulator as a selling point;

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=214785&articleId=214786&storeId=10151

hub_Ouya_2013_09.jpg

Oh jeez.

mario-facepalm-640x390.png

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Not a whole lot Nintendo can really do. The Android market is open, so even if they get Google to take down all the emulators, people can just put them back up again. To say nothing of all the websites that host emulators and teach people how to mod their consoles to do it. It's not like emulation is some big secret or anything. If they were going to tackle it, they would've done so already.

Blendtec on
    edited June 2013
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Not a whole lot Nintendo can really do. The Android market is open, so even if they get Google to take down all the emulators, people can just put them back up again. To say nothing of all the websites that host emulators and teach people how to mod their consoles to do it. It's not like emulation is some big secret or anything. If they were going to tackle it, they would've done so already.

There isn't much they can do to stop emulators. But they could certainly sue Ouya for using "play games illegally" as a selling point :P (although honestly I probably wouldn't expect them too unless Ouya got big enough for them to bother)

Warlock82 on
    Neither does Ouya.

I was just about to respond to this but it looks like some of the other folks 'round these parts already took care of it for me.

FU7kFbw.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yahoo.com wrote:

Some of the people at least say they do.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »

If these emulators are being put on the Android Marketplace, perhaps Google should start some kind of certification process.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yahoo.com wrote:

Some of the people at least say they do.

My second question would then be if the authenticator was on the same device as their mobile auction house app. As I could see that as a way to make some sort of backdoor and get their authenticator serial number or *something* to hack their account.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    One of my friends got hacked over the weekend even though he had an authenticator on his account. They took all his gold but left his items, I wonder if this is what happened...

They did strip the authenticator off as well, so maybe it's a different hack.

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.