As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Industry] Xbox One Doomed PS4 Doomed Wii U Doomed Ouya... Ouya?

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    yeah, delaying the launch in some countries suggests that this may be a production issue. obviously MS are going to want to ship as many units as possible to the countries/regions where they expect to sell the most. so its possible that they've redirected some unit, either because they want more units in stronger regions or because they simply can't produce enough units to warrant launching in all those countries simultaneously.

That is apparently the case if you believe cboat (and who isn't on #TeamCBOAT at this point?), and according to him it's a bigger problem than we even realize.
    Achire wrote: »
    Anyway, cboat said he'd tell more about the yield problems next week.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    That is apparently the case if you believe cboat (and who isn't on #TeamCBOAT at this point?)

I'm not. My kingdom for a leaker with a decent grasp of the English language...

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Yeah, the NCAA decision is all about the impending lawyer train that's coming their way with all the complaints of profiting off of player's likeness. Hell, the NFLPA is now telling players get to waivers signed when they get tattoos so that when they appear in ads/games, their tattoo artists don't try to claim... royalty rights, I guess.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    vrwv.png

holy shit

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    The crazy thing about this is that EA is giving up its share of the proceeds to charity, and most of the games have Steam keys.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    That is apparently the case if you believe cboat (and who isn't on #TeamCBOAT at this point?)

He's already said he has to post that way to get around work filters. Plus it makes it mysterious and fun!

Dude has been dead-on about so much shit it's scary, his single random posts contain more pertinent info about the industry than a month of "stories" from JoyStiq/Kotaku/Polygon/every other game site

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    He's already said he has to post that way to get around work filters. Plus it makes it mysterious and fun!

Seems like there is an easier solution to get around work filters :P Unless he lives at work and/or does not own a computer with internet access.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    It's so people can't find out who he is. People normally have a signature way of typing and talking. Masking that makes it much more difficult.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Seems like there is an easier solution to get around work filters :P Unless he lives at work and/or does not own a computer with internet access.

I suspect he's also aware of software that analyzes writing patterns to determine authorship...

urahonky wrote: »
    It's so people can't find out who he is. People normally have a signature way of typing and talking. Masking that makes it much more difficult.

Or, you know, find the guys with this level of knowledge that have neogaf on their browser history :P And possibly 4chan :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Yeah it's also so he's not quoted on blogs and other websites. And makes it almost impossible to search for as well.

Dude is the video game industry equivalent of Deep Throat, it's awesome.

He's probably Don Mattrick.

I'd rather he post everything as a composite of different letter images in different fonts and colors, ala a ransom note :)

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I'm so torn about this, the biggest games I want on there are origin only which makes me sad...

Also good on EA for giving their whole portion to the charities

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Or, you know, find the guys with this level of knowledge that have neogaf on their browser history :P And possibly 4chan :P

At a tech company on the West Coast that makes video games? They'd have to fire half their workforce.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Imagine if this delay in the XBO happened back when the XBO was actually region locked. They kind of dodged a bullet here.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Dude has been dead-on about so much shit it's scary, his single random posts contain more pertinent info about the industry than a month of "stories" from JoyStiq/Kotaku/Polygon/every other game site

People will always doubt CBOAT, and they'll almost always be wrong. He's wonderful.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    vrwv.png

holy shit

I don't understand, what are we holy shitting about? Aren't a bunch of those games 3 to 5 years old?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I don't understand, what are we holy shitting about? Aren't a bunch of those games 3 to 5 years old?

But it's still only $5 for the lot

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

But it's still only $5 for the lot
    To charity

Plus, Dead Space 3 is still pretty new, I bet TONS of people were waiting on a bigger price drop on that guy.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I am just always going to wait a year on every game forever now.

Well, Western games, I guess. Still no guarantees when it comes to Japanese ones. (Xenoblade, Atlus)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    The core of the issue with that bundle being that some of the games/game content is Origin only.

And as someone who was locked out of Origin for months (at the beginning of this summer) because they couldn't get their damn password system functioning properly and has never had a smooth experience with buying stuff through Origin, yeah, I can pretty much confirm that Origin is total ass.

Still, that bundle is totally worth it for at least 3 of the 5 games with Steam versions, and the other 2 I just don't know about. Totally worthwile purchase, even if you skip everything shackled to Origin.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    vrwv.png

holy shit

On one hand awesome deal for charity. On the other hand... Origin...

So conflicted.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »
    vrwv.png

holy shit

So conflicted.

Psst... most of the games have Steam keys.

edited August 2013
    I already finally bought Mirror's Edge last Steam sale, so meh. I do need to actually play that at some point tho :P

Warlock82 on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    vrwv.png

holy shit

So conflicted.

Psst... most of the games have Steam keys.

Well that certainly helps.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular

Its not like games have an expiration date or anything, a good game is still a good game and that is a pretty solid lineup (I bet the Sims 3 Starter Pack alone was rather expensive when it first released).

I just recently replayed Super Mario Bros 3 and A Link to the Past and they are still fuckawesome despite being older than 3 to 5 years old. Imagine that!

NNID: Rehab0
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I paid $5 for one of those 3-5 year old games not that long ago. Getting all of them for about $5 is a pretty holy shit deal.

What is this I don't even.
    Dead Space 3 came out this year. The others are of varying ages, but having a game that was new as of February that can basically be bought for a $1 is nothing to sneeze at.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

Unrelated to the article, but the headline made me think, "If Microsoft wants to bring real innovation to the XBox One, let me play Steam games on it."

kyrcl.png
    Mego Thor wrote: »

Unrelated to the article, but the headline made me think, "If Microsoft wants to bring real innovation to the XBox One, let me play Steam games on it."

Is it really innovation is Sony already did it? :P (albeit I think only for Portal 2)

What Microsoft needs to do is let you pass-through your gaming PC through the One for the overlay. :)

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    What Microsoft needs to do is let you pass-through your gaming PC through the One for the overlay. :)

But only if you have an active Gold subscription.

What is this I don't even.
    So what's the latest kinda pointless perk being offered for the Xbone?

Buy a season pass for a game on the 360, get a season pass for the same game on the Xbone for free! Whee! Now all you need to do is buy the same game twice.

http://majornelson.com/2013/08/14/introducing-season-pass-guarantee-buy-a-season-pass-on-xbox-360-get-a-season-pass-for-the-same-game-on-xbox-one-free/

• NosfNosf Registered User regular

So I'd avoided Origin for a number of reasons, poor use of a beloved company name, I don't really trust EA to have a client on my machine etc. Still, I wanted Mirror's Edge and if they were doing nerfarious shit, I assume it would have come out by now. I mean, more than the usual nefarious shit. I ponied up some cash and hey, it's all going to the Cancer society, so there's a win. Sure enough they changed my ancient EA store account into an Origin account so I just had to download the client. (You didn't think all those Origin accounts they trumpeted about were new signups eager to use EA's Steam knockoff, right?) Well, I get it installed annnnnnd - 'Code redemption isn't working' is the first message Origin gives me.

On the upside, I've activated and downloaded Mirror's Edge already - the Origin client still has some spinning wheel thing going on.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular

Is it really innovation is Sony already did it? :P (albeit I think only for Portal 2)
    I wonder if we would have gotten more of that if not for the big hack that messed up PSN right around the Portal 2 launch.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    So I'd avoided Origin for a number of reasons, poor use of a beloved company name, I don't really trust EA to have a client on my machine etc. Still, I wanted Mirror's Edge and if they were doing nerfarious shit, I assume it would have come out by now. I mean, more than the usual nefarious shit. I ponied up some cash and hey, it's all going to the Cancer society, so there's a win. Sure enough they changed my ancient EA store account into an Origin account so I just had to download the client. (You didn't think all those Origin accounts they trumpeted about were new signups eager to use EA's Steam knockoff, right?) Well, I get it installed annnnnnd - 'Code redemption isn't working' is the first message Origin gives me.

On the upside, I've activated and downloaded Mirror's Edge already - the Origin client still has some spinning wheel thing going on.

Mirror's Edge came with a Steam key. you didn't need to use Origin.

Darlan wrote: »

I wonder if we would have gotten more of that if not for the big hack that messed up PSN right around the Portal 2 launch.

Also wasn't it a complete mess too? I don't remember exactly, but I remember a lot of really pissed off PS3 Portal 2 owners who couldn't download their game or something for like a week.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »

Mirror's Edge came with a Steam key. you didn't need to use Origin.

Yep, that's why I got that one - I activated whatever I could on Steam and it worked fine. No luck on BF3, DS3 and Sims 3 so far, Origin is still crapped out.

This discussion has been closed.