As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name that Game [Game Detective Thread]

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    It was sidescrolling not vertical, but it wasn't forced scrolling, and it was more open-world style like metroid. I distinctly remember flying a screen to the left.
    Also it was caves and not like monster intestines or something.

• Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    System: Apple II (e?)
    game was post apocalyptic car combat game, I seem to recall that it was turn based but I'm not certain. What I really remember was loading up a bus full of crossbowmen and shooting out the tires of my enemies, and you could create caches of gas and tires and such.

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I've got one that's been bugging me for a while, I'm reasonably sure I'm not just imagining the whole thing, but I was a young'un at the time, so who knows.

I'm pretty sure it was for Amiga, but again, ass young, all I know for sure is it wasn't dos and mac is doubtful.

Things I remember:
    It was 3d, in the technicolor untextured shapes sense.
    You flew around in a ship of some sort, and had lasers.
    There was an ingame map, in the "orange peel that was removed in one piece and flattened out" style.
    There was a set of blocks that was supposed to be a city/colony/something or other.
    Said set of blocks was getting attacked by giant walker things with lasers, War of the Worlds style.
    You could break the dome on top of the walkers, presumably breaking its laser, but not actually destroying it.
    You could shoot out one of its feet, causing it to fall over.
    You had a few van-looking ships that would autopilot into a walker's foot, destroying the foot.
    At some point you get to go up into space and shoot at what is presumably where the walkers are coming from, I think it was a sort of hexagon framework thing.

I have no clue how much of this is actually real and how much is shit my child brain made up, but dammit I remember it and it would be nice if it was real.

Guardian?

guardian_aga_03.png

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    If not Guardian then "Virus"?

1364467-virus_amiga_screenshot.gif

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    CowShark wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »
    There was an old NES game that had ninjas and they were climbing some clouds. I played it as a kid and was wondering what the title was.

Not quite a ninja, but maybe the Jackie Chan game?

Oh, it was a samurai I think.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I've got one that's been bugging me for a while, I'm reasonably sure I'm not just imagining the whole thing, but I was a young'un at the time, so who knows.

I'm pretty sure it was for Amiga, but again, ass young, all I know for sure is it wasn't dos and mac is doubtful.

Things I remember:
    It was 3d, in the technicolor untextured shapes sense.
    You flew around in a ship of some sort, and had lasers.
    There was an ingame map, in the "orange peel that was removed in one piece and flattened out" style.
    There was a set of blocks that was supposed to be a city/colony/something or other.
    Said set of blocks was getting attacked by giant walker things with lasers, War of the Worlds style.
    You could break the dome on top of the walkers, presumably breaking its laser, but not actually destroying it.
    You could shoot out one of its feet, causing it to fall over.
    You had a few van-looking ships that would autopilot into a walker's foot, destroying the foot.
    At some point you get to go up into space and shoot at what is presumably where the walkers are coming from, I think it was a sort of hexagon framework thing.

I have no clue how much of this is actually real and how much is shit my child brain made up, but dammit I remember it and it would be nice if it was real.

Guardian?

guardian_aga_03.png
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    If not Guardian then "Virus"?

1364467-virus_amiga_screenshot.gif

Neither of these feel like the right thing, guardian being closer than virus. Might have to poke my brother to see if he knows what I'm talking about, since he's slightly about a decade older than me so maybe he'd actually have clearish memories on the matter.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    I opened an entire thread not realizing this one existed.

There was this beat 'em up I used to play as a kid. I played it on my XT computer with CGA graphics, although I'm sure it's possible that the game could run in EGA or maybe even VGA and might have been on Atari and Commodore. The premise of the game was that you were a police officer, and you were assigned to bust certain drug rings. You would go around beating up all the gang members, take their drugs, and then burn all the drugs in a flaming garbage (oil?) can. Once you burned up all the drugs the level was over. The game wasn't very big, maybe 10 or so screens long, and I remember clearly that one screen had a dock, and if you fell into the water it was game over. I think the screen you started on had a staircase leading down to the basement of some building that had a couple of thugs. Also, I remember the first drug ring you're assigned to bust isn't particularly impressive, I think it was an Aspirin or Tylenol drug ring.

Does this game ring a bell for anyone?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    There was an old NES game that had ninjas and they were climbing some clouds. I played it as a kid and was wondering what the title was.

Kind of a longshot, but perhaps it was Legend of Kage?

Or its not-quite sequel Demon Sword?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xlq1p3pZAA

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    A-Puck wrote: »
    game was post apocalyptic car combat game, I seem to recall that it was turn based but I'm not certain. What I really remember was loading up a bus full of crossbowmen and shooting out the tires of my enemies, and you could create caches of gas and tires and such.

@A-Puck

Roadwar 2000 or the sequel, Roadwar Europa.
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    I opened an entire thread not realizing this one existed.

There was this beat 'em up I used to play as a kid. I played it on my XT computer with CGA graphics, although I'm sure it's possible that the game could run in EGA or maybe even VGA and might have been on Atari and Commodore. The premise of the game was that you were a police officer, and you were assigned to bust certain drug rings. You would go around beating up all the gang members, take their drugs, and then burn all the drugs in a flaming garbage (oil?) can. Once you burned up all the drugs the level was over. The game wasn't very big, maybe 10 or so screens long, and I remember clearly that one screen had a dock, and if you fell into the water it was game over. I think the screen you started on had a staircase leading down to the basement of some building that had a couple of thugs. Also, I remember the first drug ring you're assigned to bust isn't particularly impressive, I think it was an Aspirin or Tylenol drug ring.

Does this game ring a bell for anyone?

@CygnusZ

Pretty sure it's Operation: Cleanstreets. I think the first drugs you go after are caffeine and nicotine.

• Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Orogogus wrote: »
    A-Puck wrote: »

@A-Puck

Roadwar 2000 or the sequel, Roadwar Europa.
    Yep, that's it, thanks!

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »

That's it. I don't know where I got clouds from.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    It was sidescrolling not vertical, but it wasn't forced scrolling, and it was more open-world style like metroid. I distinctly remember flying a screen to the left.

Xexyz maybe? You switch between exploring, guy on a flying platform and spaceship, if you click through the video a bit. Might have blurred some of that together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDUclK3GvU

Reminded me of Air Fortress, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ef40PLFjs

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    It always feels awesome when you successfully guess one of these. :)

Here's one that I've been trying to figure out for years. It was an arcade game. You drove a car, and the arcade cabinet had a steering wheel and I am pretty sure it also had gas and brake pedals. The point of view was from the car's dashboard. Here's the weird thing: the cabinet also had a light gun. Occasionally your car would get attacked by gigantic mosquito-like bugs and you'd have to shoot them using the light gun. They'd land right on the car's hood and start sucking...fuel? Out of the car.

My 9 or 10-year old self thought it looked amazing and I'm curious to see just how bad it actually looked. This would have been around 1986-1987. It was at a pizza place in a mall which has since been demolished.

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    @CygnusZ

Pretty sure it's Operation: Cleanstreets. I think the first drugs you go after are caffeine and nicotine.

@orogogus That's it! Wow, I wasn't expecting much but it looks even worse than I remember. I kept on thinking that the game was called "Meanstreets" but unable to find it, probably getting it mixed up with the first Tex Murphy game.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @CygnusZ

@orogogus That's it! Wow, I wasn't expecting much but it looks even worse than I remember. I kept on thinking that the game was called "Meanstreets" but unable to find it, probably getting it mixed up with the first Tex Murphy game.

"And your mission's not over until you've cleaned up all five levels. That's right, FIVE!"

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

Here's one that I've been trying to figure out for years. It was an arcade game. You drove a car, and the arcade cabinet had a steering wheel and I am pretty sure it also had gas and brake pedals. The point of view was from the car's dashboard. Here's the weird thing: the cabinet also had a light gun. Occasionally your car would get attacked by gigantic mosquito-like bugs and you'd have to shoot them using the light gun. They'd land right on the car's hood and start sucking...fuel? Out of the car.

My 9 or 10-year old self thought it looked amazing and I'm curious to see just how bad it actually looked. This would have been around 1986-1987. It was at a pizza place in a mall which has since been demolished.

Sounds like Lucky and Wild to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALneW5eJ9rE

Wait I missed the part about the mosquitoes. Sorry when I saw steering wheel and gun I thought of htis.

Artoria on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    @CygnusZ

You may actually have been thinking of Crime Wave, a NARC knockoff by the Tex Murphy guys.

Hilarity: Mobygames has a game category for "Protagonist: Mullet haircut", although nearly half of it is Metal Gear games.

• Options
    dragonsama wrote: »

Sounds like Lucky and Wild to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALneW5eJ9rE

Wait I missed the part about the mosquitoes. Sorry when I saw steering wheel and gun I thought of htis.

Heh, yeah, this game was a lot more primitive looking than that!

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular

Night Stocker?

• Options
    Billmaan wrote: »

Night Stocker?

YES! Thank you!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    in school in the 90s we played a game on our very old library PCs.

you played a tank and had to fight in this laser-tag looking arena with everything defined in neon colours and outlines.

that's all I have

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    in school in the 90s we played a game on our very old library PCs.

you played a tank and had to fight in this laser-tag looking arena with everything defined in neon colours and outlines.

that's all I have

Sounds very much like Battlezone, or some derivative thereof.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    yeah its not battlezone

this game was for the mac, i just remembered, if that helps

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Spectre?
    (Or some spelling there of)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »

Xardion?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    majinrevan666majinrevan666 Registered User regular
    Isomatric role playing/adventure game

Platform:PC, possibly others as well, but I doubt it.

Description:
    I'm trying to think of the name of a game I came across once. It featured a man in his home. He looked like a warrior. The view was mostly top down, similar to the first neverwinter game. I believe his wife was home also, or played a part in the introduction. The game possibly begins in his bedroom, although the house may not have an actual bedroom. If the wife is there, you speak to her and then proceed to learn about combat. The wife could be in some different kind of relationship with him, though I do recall them being lovers. When I had the game, I had difficulty with the controls since it's relatively old and the operating system clashed with its requirements. I assume it was made in 1990-2000. Most likely 1995-2000.

• Options
    majinrevan666majinrevan666 Registered User regular
    Isomatric role playing/adventure game
    Platform:PC, possibly others as well, but I doubt it.

Description:
    I'm trying to think of the name of a game I came across once. It featured a man in his home. He looked like a warrior. The view was mostly top down, similar to the first neverwinter game. I believe his wife was home also, or played a part in the introduction. The game possibly begins in his bedroom, although the house may not have an actual bedroom. If the wife is there, you speak to her and then proceed to learn about combat. The wife could be in some different kind of relationship with him, though I do recall them being lovers. When I had the game, I had difficulty with the controls since it's relatively old and the operating system clashed with its requirements. I assume it was made in 1990-2000. Most likely 1995-2000.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    The last time one of these threads came up I tried and no one was able to help, so we'll see if there's any progress this time.

BBS MUD style game
    Largely based off AD&D ruleset, except the caster classes had MP instead of needing to memorise things. I think you could only be Warrior, Mage, Cleric, Rogue. But you may have been able to have Paladins and Rangers as well. All text based.

To the north - I think - of town, you had the Mithril Mines, but you needed a special light source to see in there, normal torches wouldn't work. You could go down the mine shaft and NSEW at each level, sometimes only NS or EW though.

To the west - once again, I think - you eventually ran in to a mountain, but on the way to said mountain, you passed a swamp that was filled with Crocodile type monsters, large ones, can't remember the D&D name for them, but they were in the Monsters manual at the time. In the center of the swamp was a tower, but no one on our little BBS made it that high in levels. In the mountain the first 2 levels were accessible, but to go further you needed a rogue to picklock on a door to give you access to the 3rd floor. Once it was picked the door stayed open for a day I believe.

It's very vague I know, but that's about the best I can do, I'm going back about 20yrs here to try and remember stuff :)

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Another one for text based gaming.

Horror style, Transylvania type
    Was even younger when I played this one than the one above. Game opened in a little village, I believe Dracula was the lord over the town or something. Game was very much one of those "You notice a ladder leading up to a hay loft, the bottom rung of the ladder is loose" Remove rung. etc. Your next step was to use the ladder rung to be a temporary spoke in a wagon wheel. Aaaaand it's after that that my brain becomes fuzzy.

I'm not super hopeful on this one, as it's not much of a description, but we'll see if this sparks a memory in someones mind.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    The last time one of these threads came up I tried and no one was able to help, so we'll see if there's any progress this time.

BBS MUD style game
    Largely based off AD&D ruleset, except the caster classes had MP instead of needing to memorise things. I think you could only be Warrior, Mage, Cleric, Rogue. But you may have been able to have Paladins and Rangers as well. All text based.

To the north - I think - of town, you had the Mithril Mines, but you needed a special light source to see in there, normal torches wouldn't work. You could go down the mine shaft and NSEW at each level, sometimes only NS or EW though.

To the west - once again, I think - you eventually ran in to a mountain, but on the way to said mountain, you passed a swamp that was filled with Crocodile type monsters, large ones, can't remember the D&D name for them, but they were in the Monsters manual at the time. In the center of the swamp was a tower, but no one on our little BBS made it that high in levels. In the mountain the first 2 levels were accessible, but to go further you needed a rogue to picklock on a door to give you access to the 3rd floor. Once it was picked the door stayed open for a day I believe.

It's very vague I know, but that's about the best I can do, I'm going back about 20yrs here to try and remember stuff :)

Just going off bbs, class list, and text only.... Usurper?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    yeah its not battlezone

this game was for the mac, i just remembered, if that helps
    This is spectre. Sweet game. We used to play it all the time

• Options
    There's a game that was on the SNES that reminded me of dig dug. The game was about some kid that tunnels into the earth for some reason. The game main character is in black and white.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Old ish computer game, Naval combat turn based strategy game. Kinda like Civ except naval. Had a demo where you'd capture ships and forts, sprite based graphics. Lets say around 10 years old + set around the old ship of the line period/pirates. Isn't Pirates!

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    It reminds me of Uncharted Waters by Koei.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    RipsawRipsaw Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »

BBS MUD style game

http://www.circlemud.org/images/mid_map.gif

Does that look familiar?

• Options
    Definitely gives me a few flashbacks

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular

That's it. I don't know where I got clouds from.
    Probably some confusion with Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors II

• Options
    miccersoftmiccersoft Registered User new member
    edited November 2013
    Game: It perhaps has to do something with Pinocchio (or might not have anything to do with it, it was a long time ago]

Platform: It is an old arcade, so Sega or NES?

Genre: Arcade, adventure ~

Era: 2d game, 8-bit or 16-bit, most likely 20-25 years old

Description:

Your mission is retrieve your girlfriend ho had been kidnapped in CIRCUS? (pre-game slide)
    You character may work for circus?

-You move trough the level in Super Mario bros style >>>
    -You fight opponents by shooting (foot)balls at them. Sometimes multiple balls, Depend of your strength.
    -You have some kind of HELMET that CHANGES COLOR depending on your strength. (White, yellow, cant remember others)
    -One of the bosses (you cant miss this one) is a gigantic head of an Indian chief that vomits gigantic balls on you [very psychodelic]
    -There are levels in woods, jungles, towns, you even fight PIRATES (maybe even undead)?

Style: game style basically like Super Mario bros, except you jump around shooting balls the size of your head (big helmet), and fighting extremely unique bosses. some asian oriented elements - kind of like japanese cartoons from the '80s.

Eliminated: Legit Pinocchio game for sega

Searcher : miccersoft

i capped some of the words that may be crucial. This is my favorite childhood game and i truly hope someone would be able to recognize it.
    Ps: possibly a pirate of some other game

miccersoft on
  • Options
    No idea what it is, but I'd really like to see more about that one too.

• Options
    Reminds me of a few games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVg4lR722Rk
    In Toki your girlfriend is kidnapped and you're turned into a monkey who spits balls. He also gets a football helmet as a powerup fairly frequently. Most of the bosses are giant heads of some sort that spit balls. This was on Arcade, NES, Genesis, etc. This video has the entire game, including the intro with the girlfriend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mliYN0qARRs
    Spanky's Quest has another monkey that attacks with various sports balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4zfEVP4zAc
    The part about the circus and your girlfriend being kidnapped reminded me of this. You also shoot energy balls. You can transform into other characters too, not sure if one has a helmet.

uyvfOQy.png