As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Name that Game [Game Detective Thread]

• Options
    EddieTheTrooperEddieTheTrooper Registered User new member
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's probably this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPyKNHewME

Wow, that looks like a close match and I appreciate the link but that's not the game. The intro is very similar but the game I'm thinking of only has the one boy character to choose from (not 4) and I know that it was more of a side-scroller, not a perspective angle like the game you posted. I wish I had more details but that's all I can remember. Thanks again.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Here's my next guess. After that, I'm running out of ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FthHjI6VDQg

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Side scrolling arcade game, about 1992

You are a night in a castle, the game proceeds with your moving left to right, jumping ducking or blocking swords and other projectiles.

Eventually you find other nights who you fight. The nights have big, spiky shield that they use to smash you.

• Options
    Going to probably need more info than that. Definitely arcade? Is it 3D like Knights of the Round or 2D like Trojan? Was it an entire stage with just projectiles and traps, no enemies, until the boss? Do you have more than one knight to pick to play as? Any distinguishing colors or anything else about the main character?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Definitely arcade.

Sprites.

Single plane.

The character and enemies seemed remarkable large - like, they were maybe 3/5 to 2/3 the height of the screen. They were burly, in a space marine not dwarf from dragon crown sort of way.

I don't think there were any characters to choose. I think that it was basically traps and projectiles -> knight -> more traps -> knight a few times over, then a more badass knight at the end. I seem to remember a spiked shield that shot more spikes out for the end of level boss I got up to.

Colours I am bad at, as I am all sorts of colour-blind. I THINK that some of the armour was bronze-ish, but I also have inklings of armour colour changing or flashing to indicate health. It might also have been a thing that you could destroy your opponents' armour or shield.

Sorry it has been a long time and I only played it once.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Gladiator from Data East sounds like it could fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34K5RLq8ig

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Okay, there is no way that is not Apo's game.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Holy crap, even by early arcade standards the animations in that game are janky.

• Options
    Yup, that is almost certainly it. The moving shield losing armour and picking up improved swords from the ground after you block them are all definitely a match.

The only thing is I am sure it was knights and was much prettier. But that could well be my mind playing tricks on me. Gladiator sounds like the right name too.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Also, I don't know how I managed to misspell every instance of 'knight' in my post.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    It is amazing though - it is an exact mechanical match, no question. But the aesthetics are so very different to that which I remember, both in quality and setting.

Memory is such a strange thing.

Welcome to the treasure place!

• Options
    I know I've seen at least one other game like you described, where you move your shield up and down. Although searching for 'shield block arcade game' pulls up Gladiator immediately.

And also this thread!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/28385/please-help-identifying-arcade-game

Funny, because the name he posted, Great Gurianos, is actually the title Gladiator has on some other systems apparently. Maybe you saw one of those versions? They have the exact same controls but look very different.

And apparently the sequel is a fighting game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwXhUj6iZbY

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    And I doubt this is it, but it was too interesting looking to pass up on posting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbx16t4SjBk

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Huh, amazing!

The graphics I have in my head were much more high res and less cartoony. But it is probably an illusion of nostalgia, like how the super Mario World Remake on the GBA seemed indistinguishable from the original until I actually looked at them side by side.

• Options
    EddieTheTrooperEddieTheTrooper Registered User new member
    Here's my next guess. After that, I'm running out of ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FthHjI6VDQg

THAT IS IT!! Thank you so much, I have been looking for years, ha. Much appreciated.

• Options
    subisubi Registered User regular
    Do you play it on emu or on GBA ?

• Options
    Whew, glad to hear it. That was a long, hard search.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    okay, i haven't thought about this game for quite some time except for a cursory search just now

2d customisable mech/robot fighting game
    Platform: pretty sure it was SNES, miiight have been Genesis
    Genre: Maybe not a fighter per se, but had 1v1 battles in a fighting game-like stage setup
    Era: I saw this game once when I was a kid visiting a relative in the hospital - it was a game room for patients or something - but could have been from anytime in the 90s

Basically you created a robot fighter, could customise weapons/armor from a shop in between battles and fought AI opponents in one on one matches
    Possibly some form of part-specific battle damage system but I might be making that up
    Sprites were fairly large and detailed, looked kind of like 'western' mechs but were still humanoid/bipedal
    Can't remember anything about music, color palette wasn't anything special, probably fairly muted

Eliminated: looked at screenshots for Mechwarrior, Metal Warriors, and Battleclash but they weren't familiar

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    That's the one I first thought of, @Reynolds, but I don't think that's it - because it's a beat-em-up, and not a 1v1 game. I kinda remember a game that was more like what Misc was talking about; I just can't remember the name.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    I thought I might as well go with the most obvious one before I start digging in to search for something more obscure.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Hm, that seems close but my memory from 15ish years ago is failing me
    Does that game have a versus mode? Could be that's where I was getting 'fighting game'
    I wanna say that's it just from the loadout menu but the gameplay seems less what I was thinking of- the different parts giving different movesets and there being a flamethrower hand are definitely things I was thinking of, but I don't remember animations being so fluid, and the stage in my mind was more arena-like and less open landscape

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Actually nevermind, that's the same one he linked above, just a different vid.

The only other thing I could think of is the 2p versus mode for Metal Warriors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dktEszKUdqM

You're absolutely sure it's SNES/Genesis?

Oh and just to confirm, you're a (US) westerner - not Mega Drive, right? Because that totally changes the library of choices.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Does that game have a versus mode? Could be that's where I was getting 'fighting game'
    I wanna say that's it just from the loadout menu but the gameplay seems less what I was thinking of- the different parts giving different movesets and there being a flamethrower hand are definitely things I was thinking of, but I don't remember animations being so fluid, and the stage in my mind was more arena-like and less open landscape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFiPDAmgNYk

Apologies for the commentary.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Actually nevermind, that's the same one he linked above, just a different vid.

The only other thing I could think of is the 2p versus mode for Metal Warriors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dktEszKUdqM

You're absolutely sure it's SNES/Genesis?

Oh and just to confirm, you're a (US) westerner - not Mega Drive, right? Because that totally changes the library of choices.

Wasn't splitscreen, I thought it was SNES but it could have been Genesis, not Mega Drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFiPDAmgNYk

Apologies for the commentary.

okay yeah, I think there's enough that matches up that it's safe to chalk this up as the mystery game, unless Elvenshae can recall that other game, or someone can think of anything else. I wish I had a better initial memory of it but I only saw it one afternoon for 15-30 minutes tops, the concept just seemed cool enough that it stuck with me

Thanks for the help, folks

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I always wished I had a better understanding of the different options in Cyborg Justice.

• Options
    How about a game where your name is Jim and you are a worm that is from Earth?

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    How about a game where your name is Jim and you are a worm that is from Earth?

That sounds really dumb, I'm sure nobody has ever made a game like that.

• Options
    AasemoonAasemoon The spice must flow... Aarau-Switzerland/Toronto-CanadaRegistered User new member
    Hello,

So I've just registered to this forum only to see if anyone here can recognize this game I'm looking for. I've been searching forever now, with no luck.

Game: Little Space Shooter??
    Platform: SNES [10% chance of it being NES]
    Genre: Vertical shooter/scroller
    Era: Hmm.. I'm not sure, early 90s I would say. Not terribly glorious graphics, but also not entirely flat.

Description:

It's a spacecraft of some sort, looks like a shuttle. Pretty small on it's own, but at the beginning of the game you choose a weapon that appears to arm the wings. So you can see the weapon you've selected at all times, and it makes the shuttle look a bit larger. I remember specifically this bomber weapon you can choose that results in a pair of bombs [black spheres] circling around the shuttle like shields, and then you naturally shoot bombs too. You can also change your weapon during the game by shooting something and taking the weapon out of it... What else... I remember there are a lot of levels, you fly vertically and shoot a lot of stuff. If you're hit you lose your weapon and the shuttle looks pathetic, has very limited shooting capabilities and makes this "about to die" sound...

Style:

It looks quite a bit like certain parts of the The Guardian Legend, but without those "creatures"... it's mostly hardware you're fighting, I don't really remember creatures in there. The shuttle itself is white/grey... the weapons come in various colours. There is a good deal of blue backgrounds, there is a lot of tiled backgrounds.

Eliminated: The Guardian Legend, Strike Gunner, Super Aleste

Searcher : Me obviously
    Finder: ?

It would be fantastic if anyone here can tell me what this game was.

Cheers!

• Options
    DarkunitDarkunit Registered User new member
    edited April 2015
    Looking for a game I saw at PAX East this year. It was for PC.

It was a side scrolling RPG. You picked a background for your character that would give some passive bonuses. I remember one of the mechanics was you could walk normally over spikes and they wouldnt hurt you, but if you fell from a distance it was game over. There were classes, it had a decent old school charm to its graphics.

I literally made a account to post, as I havent been able to find it anyway. If anyone knows, you would be awesome.

Darkunit on
  • Options
    I think this is all the indie games that were there.

http://indiemegabooth.com/event/pax-east-2015/

See it on there?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DarkunitDarkunit Registered User new member
    Vagante was on this list, and that was the game. Thanks a ton, Reynolds.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    That looks cool.

• Options
    Always glad to help out!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Aasemoon wrote: »
    Hello,

So I've just registered to this forum only to see if anyone here can recognize this game I'm looking for. I've been searching forever now, with no luck.

Game: Little Space Shooter??
    Platform: SNES [10% chance of it being NES]
    Genre: Vertical shooter/scroller
    Era: Hmm.. I'm not sure, early 90s I would say. Not terribly glorious graphics, but also not entirely flat.

Description:

It's a spacecraft of some sort, looks like a shuttle. Pretty small on it's own, but at the beginning of the game you choose a weapon that appears to arm the wings. So you can see the weapon you've selected at all times, and it makes the shuttle look a bit larger. I remember specifically this bomber weapon you can choose that results in a pair of bombs [black spheres] circling around the shuttle like shields, and then you naturally shoot bombs too. You can also change your weapon during the game by shooting something and taking the weapon out of it... What else... I remember there are a lot of levels, you fly vertically and shoot a lot of stuff. If you're hit you lose your weapon and the shuttle looks pathetic, has very limited shooting capabilities and makes this "about to die" sound...

Style:

It looks quite a bit like certain parts of the The Guardian Legend, but without those "creatures"... it's mostly hardware you're fighting, I don't really remember creatures in there. The shuttle itself is white/grey... the weapons come in various colours. There is a good deal of blue backgrounds, there is a lot of tiled backgrounds.

Eliminated: The Guardian Legend, Strike Gunner, Super Aleste

Searcher : Me obviously
    Finder: ?

It would be fantastic if anyone here can tell me what this game was.

Cheers!

I know EXACTLY what this game is. It's B-Wings, and the version you played was probably the one on the 8-bit Nintendos (NES, Famicom).

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Yeah, that does sound pretty close. The first video I spotted even shows off the spinning black circle weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4nZs9gW60s&ab_channel=nenriki86

Hopefully @Aasemoon sees this, they haven't checked in since February, it seems...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    moLikzamoLikza Registered User new member
    Hi guys
    I hope you can all help. I am looking for a vertical shooter game. In the game you started in a vehicle, you ducked obstacles, you had to jump over holes on the road. On the second level then you drive a spacecraft much like the ones on R-type and Armed Formation. The environment was of a orangish to pinkish colours. The enemies were like biological tentacle types. There were power ups and the most notable was the speed one. If you powered up speed too much the spacecraft was uncontrollable coz you would crash into the walls.

• Options
    Do you have a system in mind? Like NES, arcade, etc. These are the first games I thought of from that description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spRvZnU9Dmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLE2EFJAR2E

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    moLikzamoLikza Registered User new member
    Do you have a system in mind? Like NES, arcade, etc.

Thanks for quick response. It is not the two u posted.
    It was on arcade machines. You played bottom to top. The graphics were much better than those. With power ups You could also send a drone in front or to the rear.