As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Duck Season! Wabbit Season! Spoiler Season!

The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly!Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in Social Entropy++
Welcome to the Magic Thread! Do you need to know about magic? Well you're in luck, because there's a new Duels of the Planeswalkers game coming out on Steam, iPad, Android, 360, and ps3 on 6/25 and 6/26! It's probably the best way to learn how to play the game, and chances are a few people in this thread will be playing it on occasion (including me!).

1196_yacnx0t9jc.jpg

UPCOMING SET RELEASES
Core Set 2014: July 19
THEROS: September 27

I'm also hosting a Sealed League for this thread! Right now it consists of 2 of each pack in the Return to Ravnica block, and you add one pack of cards each week. For the duels, we use LackeyCCG.

To get the Magic part of the program, just go to the preferences page and find the Magic plugin, install it, and you'll be set. Make sure you set a profile name on your preferences so you can connect online, and you'll be good to go.

The site we've been using for drafting and generating sealed pools is Drafts.in It's also very easy to use, and should be pretty self explanatory.

If you want to join the Sealed League, either message me on Skype or PM me here! Spaces are opening up pretty often.

Otherwise, GET HYPE FOR THEROS + BLACK ON BLACK PLANESWALKERS

garruk.jpg

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
The Betgirl on

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    my favorite magic card is YuGiOh

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I wish Lackey had a non-manual edition. It be a nightmare/impossible to keep up to date like every other Magic program that tries it, but I can't get over how slow and clunky it seems compared to the official client. That would probably fade away if I ever sat down to really learn to use it quickly, but...I'm lazy.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    here is how you use lackey:

click and drag cards

double click to tap

congratulations you learned how to use lackey

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i mean almost all the effects that go on are implied between the players and said on skype

you just drag and tap

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    black on black garruk looks dumb

2x39jD4.jpg
    get out

Hey, that's a good point about all the stuff being implied. That just never occurred to me because I never tried playing with it really. Food for thought, thanks.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Garruk's wearing black on slightly darker black. He must be ISIS's most dangerous secret agent.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    also you never manually change the steps, you just say like "at the beginning of your combat step" "at end of turn" etc.

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    New Garruk will see play in Standard after Innistrad block rotates out. Yes, 6 mana is a ton for a planeswalker, but G/X ramp will like the card because he can generate card advantage and cheat out the big green creatures.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    also you never manually change the steps, you just say like "at the beginning of your combat step" "at end of turn" etc.

you can also click the "Pass" button which will make a really girly computer voice say "Pass" and drive everyone nuts!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    does Lackey have a chat window, or do you have to communicate with the other player via skype or something?

It has a chat window. It breaks BRT's games tho so if you're losing just use the chat ;-)

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Welcome to the Magic Thread! Do you need to know about magic? Well you're in luck, because there's a new Duels of the Planeswalkers game coming out on Steam, iPad, Android, 360, and ps3 on 6/25 and 6/26! It's probably the best way to learn how to play the game, and chances are a few people in this thread will be playing it on occsaion (including me!).
    @Gatsby @HyperBallad

(i'm trying to get them to learn how to play Magic)

(the M14 core set launches on the same day as PAXAus so muahahahahhahahaha)

Antimatter on
    oh no i spelled occasion wrong

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    New Garruk will see play in Standard after Innistrad block rotates out. Yes, 6 mana is a ton for a planeswalker, but G/X ramp will like the card because he can generate card advantage and cheat out the big green creatures.

g/x ramp has not been a deck since scars was in format

mostly due to the fact that we currently do not have 2 ramp spells at 2 cmc and haven't heard anything from m14 aside from the new llanowar elf or even if farseek is returning

I'd rather play somberwald sage and cheat out big dudes that way

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    Also the steam version of Magic 2014 unlocks tomorrow morning at 10am Pacific, but if you get it on ipad its out today i guess?

they're releasing it on different platforms between today and tomorrow

I think the PSN version is also out today?

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

g/x ramp has not been a deck since scars was in format

mostly due to the fact that we currently do not have 2 ramp spells at 2 cmc and haven't heard anything from m14 aside from the new llanowar elf or even if farseek is returning

I'd rather play somberwald sage and cheat out big dudes that way

http://www.mythicspoiler.com/m14/numbercrunch.html

158 of 249 cards are known-ish in M14, but you're right the lack of spoilers is kind of weird. I imagine the release of Modern Masters and Duels 2014 both played a factor in delaying the M14 Spoiler season.

edited June 2013
    by heard anything I meant ramp related, sorry

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I hope 2014 ends up half off in the summer sale somehow

I just don't think it will be 10 dollars improved over 2013

2x39jD4.jpg
    guys

i just saw the flavor text for M14 giant spider

it is making me smile like nothing else

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    guys

I hope people don't hate the new flavor text I wrote for Wring Flesh.

The old text is so good...

• DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    Big twitter discussion happening right now re: live coverage for WotC run events (GPs, PTs, WMC, etc), all spurred by John Butler's article on scg select side.

Question to the thread: how much coverage do YOU watch of the wotc events (ie: not scg opens), and where do you think improvements can be made?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
    guys

"AUGH SPIDER KILLITKILLITKILLITKILLIT-"

-Saffi Eriksdotter

edited June 2013
    KalTorak wrote: »
    guys

-Saffi Eriksdotter
    "The wild is always changing, but it does have a few constants."
    - Garruk Wildspeaker
    seeing as the card was in my very first magic pack ever, the green theme deck all the way back in 9th edition, i appreciate it

Antimatter on
    edited June 2013
    Diorinix wrote: »
    Big twitter discussion happening right now re: live coverage for WotC run events (GPs, PTs, WMC, etc), all spurred by John Butler's article on scg select side.

Question to the thread: how much coverage do YOU watch of the wotc events (ie: not scg opens), and where do you think improvements can be made?

I usually watch if I'm home

I cant remember what event it was a little while back that had an updating list of cards in hand for each player but I thought that was far more informative than "I think I saw a red card"

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    guys

-Saffi Eriksdotter

Is that the actual new flavor text or...

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    guys

I hope people don't hate the new flavor text I wrote for Wring Flesh.

The old text is so good...

I thought it was pretty excellent

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    also new garruk is basically a reprint of timmy and I am 100% on board with that

edited June 2013
    wait nevermind

The Betgirl on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

I cant remember what event it was a little while back that had an updating list of cards in hand for each player but I thought that was far more informative than "I think I saw a red card"

I think they had that running at PT Gatecrash...or maybe PT DGM? One of those for sure.
    I try to watch as much of the coverage as I can when I'm home, just because it's fun to see it live. Saturdays my wife works and I have the baby at home, so I can usually just throw it on the TV and take care of her (feeding, putting down for naps) and still catch a lot of it.
    The one thing I would really appreciate is if they could get more/longer games in the feature match area. I liked the 'sneak peak' games they had during rounds at Vegas, but it seems like there are a lot of rounds where the feature match goes 2-0, and then you have to wait a solid 15-30 minutes before the next round starts and you either get a replay (with my luck, this is always one of the two previous matches I got to watch) or a constant rotation of 'the new art' or whatever video they are playing almost non-stop. Actually, during round breaks like that they should just have the entire playlist of Walking the Planes on rotation and just roll through those (if they don't have a special video/whatever to run).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    guys

-Saffi Eriksdotter
    "The wild is always changing, but it does have a few constants."
    - Garruk Wildspeaker
    seeing as the card was in my very first magic pack ever, the green theme deck all the way back in 9th edition, i appreciate it

Agreed, and same for me (except my first pack was a 4th edition starter).

• SwillSwill Registered User regular
    I'm going to stop playing this game

I spend more money than I can afford on it, and that trend doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon unless I cut all ties

Swill wrote: »
    I'm going to stop playing this game

I spend more money than I can afford on it, and that trend doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon unless I cut all ties

If you have an MTGO account I'll take your stuff to help you stay out of bankruptcy. I'm just a swell guy like that. :)

• DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular

I think they had that running at PT Gatecrash...or maybe PT DGM? One of those for sure.
    I try to watch as much of the coverage as I can when I'm home, just because it's fun to see it live. Saturdays my wife works and I have the baby at home, so I can usually just throw it on the TV and take care of her (feeding, putting down for naps) and still catch a lot of it.
    The one thing I would really appreciate is if they could get more/longer games in the feature match area. I liked the 'sneak peak' games they had during rounds at Vegas, but it seems like there are a lot of rounds where the feature match goes 2-0, and then you have to wait a solid 15-30 minutes before the next round starts and you either get a replay (with my luck, this is always one of the two previous matches I got to watch) or a constant rotation of 'the new art' or whatever video they are playing almost non-stop. Actually, during round breaks like that they should just have the entire playlist of Walking the Planes on rotation and just roll through those (if they don't have a special video/whatever to run).

Thpis is also one of the things the Grand Prix coverage teams really have to improve on - the Pro Tour coverage has really improved over the last 2 tours, but the changes haven't moved over to the GPs yet. The downtime is too much fluff, not enough gametime and the human stories aren't being showcased enough. Idle banter and small talk takes up way too much air time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So who are the most Afk members of the sealed league, can they be my opponents this week? Afk forfeits are my win condition!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

I work on the weekends, and not near a computer, so I can only briefly check it on my break. From what I can see, Magic is incredibly boring to watch as a spectator sport, because there's often several minutes at a time where players are just thinking, and the commentators don't do a great job filling in dead space. I also can't always see the cards super well, and the players hide their hands on top of things. I was still surprised when I checked the Twitch.tv and saw there were only ~10k people watching. I was like "this is the single largest Magic event ever, and that's it for spectators?"

But Randy Buehler chimed in and seemed to be saying "more viewers doesn't make us more money, so it's not something we'll probably pursue."

Yeah, the only way to spice up watching magic is add strippers or gun fights. But this applies to most sports, even those that are spectator friendly and it's yet to happen for some reason!

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

step one is fire sheldon, he's the biggest piece of shit in the commentary booth

step two is to focus on making shit more fun, prioritized over being more informative

if you make people interested they'll want to seek the info out themselves

if all they hear is a bunch of babble and jargon they turn it off

step three is watch day9's feature match from PT: DGM and learn from it. he communicates what's happening in simple terms, he's funny and engaging, he makes a connection beyond "he played acard, card does a thing"

This discussion has been closed.