Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Computer Build Thread] - Haswell? More like Has...damnit, I had something for this...

14142444647109

Posts

  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    @iRevert Thanks for the sig.

    iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    davidsdurionsJebus314an_alt
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    F87 wrote: »
    I'm trying to cover all my bases here, but I can't get it below 700 without feeling like I'm skimping on parts and will regret it later on.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.86 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Other: BYTECC Bracket-35225 2.5 Inch HDD/SSD Mounting Kit For 3.5" Drive Bay or Enclosure ($5.99)
    Total: $745.00
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-23 19:42 EDT-0400)

    All of this will go in my current case, after I dust it out. It's a good case, just needs a good cleaning. And I will be using my 250g HDD for backup storage. Also will be using my 8gigs ddr3 ram.

    It may be next monday at the earliest that I will be able to order. So I appreciate any more advice in the meantime.

    Want it a little cheaper? Get a combo deal with a different processor. I'm not sure overclocking is in your sphere anyway.

    CPU/PSU Combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1429160

    Also I am confused by your motherboard choice, I don't see the point in paying for the "FATAL1TY" edition of anything.
    ASRock H87: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157383
    Micro ATX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157385 - I like the fact that this one has optical audio out in case you get a DAC for headphones or hook it up to a real stereo.

    Also, what operating system do you have now? If you have 7 or 8 then stick with that, XP you should definitely upgrade from.

    tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    F87
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    There are short 760 cards, like the ASUS 2gb GTX 760 at 8.6", short enough to fit in nearly all cases. You should be able to find it for about $250.

    That said, I'm definitely of the opinion that you could skimp on the 760 and get a 660 or even cheaper, a 650 Ti Boost, and be just fine. You really won't notice the 14% performance drop from the 760 to a 2gb 650 Ti Boost.

    The difference in price could get you a good case, like the Fractal Design R4 ATX case for about $110 (plus another $10 for a third 120mm fan). Once you've owned a quiet computer, you'll never go back to a loud one. Plus, it's much easier to build a new computer without ripping your old one completely apart.

    The 650 should have carried the SE tag on it IMO.

    Personally I would have gone with the EVGA dual fan version but if he wants to slam the longest card he can in thats up to him.

  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I believe he already has a 5770, so I'm not sure he'd see as much of an increase as he'd like if he just goes with the 650Ti Boost.

    steam_sig.png
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Current specs:

    - Windows 7
    - 8gig DDR3 ram
    - AMD Phenom IIx4 955 3.2ghz
    - Radeon 5700 HD 2gig
    - 250g HDD
    - 585W Orion power supply

    And here is the new rig (with changes made based on suggestions):

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($185.66 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Other: BYTECC Bracket-35225 2.5 Inch HDD/SSD Mounting Kit For 3.5" Drive Bay or Enclosure ($5.99)
    Total: $721.59
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-24 10:56 EDT-0400)

    I will be re-using my RAM and HDD for backup storage.

    It's a bit over my budget, but I may be able to swing it by the end of this week. The GPU gets 4,000 on benchmarks, compared to 5,000 on the 760. The 660 will still be about 4x better than my current card.

    I really want this PC now. What do you guys think?

    F87 on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I don't like that you cut down your graphics power to get a $100 case. Also I'm not sure if that's added right since to me it comes up to $750.

    Case ($50): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018
    You won't need the drive bay adapter since any new case has mounting points for a 2.5" SSD
    If you go with the PSU/CPU combo I listed above (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1429160) you will save $18 plus you get the $20 rebate from the power supply (already counted by you).

    So that's $84 saved.

    You can take that $84 to the bank or you could get a GTX 760 or you could get this AMD card that comes with free games (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150671).

    steam_sig.png
    F87bowen
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Also he swapped the CPU to a non-k version and changed the mobo to a Z series for overclocking...can drop the mobo down as well.

    F87
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Corsair cases are great.

    Ladies.
    chrishallett83
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I'll try for the 760.

    What do you guys think of this motherboard? Its cheap, the right socket and doesn't seem to be any sort of "xtreme" OC edition:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157387

  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Not bad, I'd personally go for this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157384

  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »
    I'll try for the 760.

    What do you guys think of this motherboard? Its cheap, the right socket and doesn't seem to be any sort of "xtreme" OC edition:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157387

    I think you're starting to get the swing of things!

  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »
    F87 wrote: »
    I'll try for the 760.

    What do you guys think of this motherboard? Its cheap, the right socket and doesn't seem to be any sort of "xtreme" OC edition:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157387

    I think you're starting to get the swing of things!

    I definitely know a lot more now thanks to you guys!

    I'm worried about that "micro ATX". I don't know if the size would work for the 760.

  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Micro atx won't have any effect on the pci-e slots or whether a gpu will fit or not. it's just the most popular/cheapest motherboard form factor at the moment.

    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Houn
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    F87 wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »
    F87 wrote: »
    I'll try for the 760.

    What do you guys think of this motherboard? Its cheap, the right socket and doesn't seem to be any sort of "xtreme" OC edition:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157387

    I think you're starting to get the swing of things!

    I definitely know a lot more now thanks to you guys!

    I'm worried about that "micro ATX". I don't know if the size would work for the 760.

    I've got a micro ATX board in my beat around rig and I'll snap a pic of what you'd be looking at in terms of size.


    ---


    Ok so a couple of things, first this is where my old components that I'm not currently using go to die or wait until they are sold, second I could give a fuck less about cable management because I'm not going to order a 4 pin extension or a bunch of other extensions for a beat around rig that I'm not using that often, and third and finally this is before I dusted out the rig so bleh.

    For reference the video card is about 8 inches and its about 11 inches total from rear of case to HDD cages so I'd be lucky to fit an 10.75 card in there without having any rubbing issues. The cooler is a 212+ and it is Ripjaw heatspreaders on the ram so you do barely have enough clearance with that, the MATX board I'm using is slightly smaller than yours so expect about an extra inch or so in height to work with. It is a Rosewill Challenger case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153) so you can pull the specs and go from there if you need any other reference points
    0XNKrkl.jpg?1

    That dust bunny at the back side of the case was from the bottom fan filter that I pulled off when I chucked it up on one of my workbenches.

    iRevert on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

    Given shipping and rebates, that costs more than the one he picked...

    That's actually why I didn't suggest anything else, I was going for non-B85 and there didn't seem to be much that was cheaper.

    steam_sig.png
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The reviews on the mobo I picked mention that it's not very easy to install and might have problems with windows 7 suspend mode...?

    Any suggestions for a quality motherboard? I guess any size ATX is fine.

    @iRevert - Thanks for the pic. If you are sure there won't be any size problems with my 760 than maybe I will get a mini-ATX. That CPU cooler is huge! I didn't know they where that big. I took mine out of my build to fit in that $50 corsair case. How important are they to have?

    Also, I want the best quality 760, are their any differences between the brand names? Is this MSI 760 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127745) the exact same as this EVGA one? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933)

    F87 on
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    If you aren't overclocking the CPU cooler isn't that important, I like it as I can swap fans in about 30 seconds if something happens to it. It also helps with airflow and keeps my CPU cooler under load. You aren't overclocking so it isn't that big of a deal if you skip it but most of us would recommend it just for the temp drop and stability (of temps) it brings when gaming.

    The big thing to pay attention to is how deep the case is, in this case (pun intended) the cooler damn near touches the side panel.

    You just need to measure your case and see how much space you have to work with, worst case you cut out some of the HDD caddy to make room for it. Newer cases and "higher end" (higher priced) cases tend to offer more room for both cable management and larger cards. You won't have an issue with a MaTX board or even a ITX board (which is even smaller) fitting a GPU like that it's the case you need to pay attention to.

    They are called tower coolers for a reason....
    cm_212__installed_by_tehinvisible-d4c445o.jpg

    The other thing to think about is that the ATX mobo will have more room for you to work with, whereas the MaTX will be a bit more cramped (like my pic shows). You don't really lose out on much but the ATX board will offer a little more real estate to work with so its up to you on it.

    iRevert on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »
    The reviews on the mobo I picked mention that it's not very easy to install and might have problems with windows 7 suspend mode...?

    Any suggestions for a quality motherboard? I guess any size ATX is fine.

    @iRevert - Thanks for the pic. If you are sure there won't be any size problems with my 760 than maybe I will get a mini-ATX. That CPU cooler is huge! I didn't know they where that big. I took mine out of my build to fit in that $50 corsair case. How important are they to have?

    Also, I want the best quality 760, are their any differences between the brand names? Is this MSI 760 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127745) the exact same as this EVGA one? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130933)

    The CPU cooler being huge is what helps it be quieter; it spreads the heat out over a very large surface area so that a bigger fan spinning slower can cool the CPU well. Try the stock heatsink (it provides plenty of cooling power) and if you are annoyed by the noise you can always get an aftermarket cooler later.

    The only difference between those two cards is that the MSI card is slightly overclocked.

    steam_sig.png
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The one thing I'd like to mention is you might want to consider a modular PSU to cut down on cable clutter. It would add about $10 to your budget if you catch it on sale and it saves you from the rats nest you tend to get with non-modular PSUs

    However considering how many devices you will be using (in terms of fans, HDD/SSDs, and GPU) you really don't need it. So I would instead focus on a case with good cable management and zip ties or sticky tabs.

    iRevert on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Yeah, I plan on using zip ties. I'm excited to try and get everything orderly, I've never messed with cable management before.

    Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome!

  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Go 2x4, if you feel like you need more, get another 2x4.

  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    F87 wrote: »
    Yeah, I plan on using zip ties. I'm excited to try and get everything orderly, I've never messed with cable management before.

    Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome!

    May I recommend, instead, Velcro Ties?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA14P0BT9726

    chrishallett83
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Go 2x4, if you feel like you need more, get another 2x4.

    What do you mean by "2x4"?
    Houn wrote: »
    F87 wrote: »
    Yeah, I plan on using zip ties. I'm excited to try and get everything orderly, I've never messed with cable management before.

    Thanks for all the help, you guys are awesome!

    May I recommend, instead, Velcro Ties?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA14P0BT9726

    Oh, awesome! These will be way better.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    2x4 means 2 4GB sticks.

    captaink
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    No he means a 2x4 piece of lumber, it really helps fitting in those bulky video cards into those pesky slots.

    Hounan_alt
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    iRevert wrote: »
    No he means a 2x4 piece of lumber, it really helps fitting in those bulky video cards into those pesky slots.
    Oh, see, I use a 4x4 for that.

  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »
    No he means a 2x4 piece of lumber, it really helps fitting in those bulky video cards into those pesky slots.
    Oh, see, I use a 4x4 for that.

    The extra mass really makes the job so much easier. Remember you've gotta work smarter, not harder!

  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    So I unboxed my new power supply and there's a loose white glob rolling around inside it... epoxy??

    I assume this is a problem, but of course if I open it up I void the warranty. What should I do?

    Battletag: Noggin#1936 || PSN: Noggin37 || Steam
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    oh man i decided to rearrange my desk and i went in to see how the thermal paste was on this stock cooler and

    i ordered a 212 EVO

    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    Houn
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    So I unboxed my new power supply and there's a loose white glob rolling around inside it... epoxy??

    I assume this is a problem, but of course if I open it up I void the warranty. What should I do?

    RMA dat sucker.

    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Wulf wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    So I unboxed my new power supply and there's a loose white glob rolling around inside it... epoxy??

    I assume this is a problem, but of course if I open it up I void the warranty. What should I do?

    RMA dat sucker.

    I realized that should've been the obvious answer :?

    Everything else is already in the case, so just waiting on this. Hopefully I can finish the build tomorrow

    Battletag: Noggin#1936 || PSN: Noggin37 || Steam
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    could be epoxy or a busted cap

    I'd more than likely RMA it just to be safe.

  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »
    No he means a 2x4 piece of lumber, it really helps fitting in those bulky video cards into those pesky slots.
    Oh, see, I use a 4x4 for that.

    I used a 24 oz Estwing...

  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Ok, another question. How do I pick the wattage I need for my power supply? I put all my parts together on pc part picker, and it says 300 watts, but that seems kind of low, relative to the power supplies I see for sale. Does the wattage fluctuate a lot? Or do I only need a 4-500 watt one?

  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Ok, another question. How do I pick the wattage I need for my power supply? I put all my parts together on pc part picker, and it says 300 watts, but that seems kind of low, relative to the power supplies I see for sale. Does the wattage fluctuate a lot? Or do I only need a 4-500 watt one?

    That would be plenty. CPU power draws have come down, really the only thing drawing a lot of watts is the video card(s).

    a5ehren
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Ok, another question. How do I pick the wattage I need for my power supply? I put all my parts together on pc part picker, and it says 300 watts, but that seems kind of low, relative to the power supplies I see for sale. Does the wattage fluctuate a lot? Or do I only need a 4-500 watt one?

    A few things to keep in mind, your PSU isn't pulling 500w all the time it just means it can safely draw 500w before having issues so getting a larger PSU isn't going to hurt you. Secondly your PSU isn't going to be perfectly 300w or 500w, figure about a 10% loss at minimum from advertised wattage with that gap closing with more reliable brands. My 550w PSU will cut out when it hits 500w and I get a shutdown. Give yourself some wiggle room to compensate for this AND for if you want to add things (SSD, HDD, or second GPU) down the road.

    Depending on parts list I would more than likely go with a 430w PSU if it's saying only 300w draw total, it would only be $25 after MIR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

    and it gives you the extra headroom and room for (some) growth down the road.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »
    No he means a 2x4 piece of lumber, it really helps fitting in those bulky video cards into those pesky slots.
    Oh, see, I use a 4x4 for that.

    I used a 24 oz Estwing...

    Personally I'm a Gransfors Bruks man myself but to each their own.

    iRevert on
    chrishallett83
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/458302-building-and-testing-unbalanced-gaming-pc/

    This article frustrates me. There is nothing "unbalanced" about an i5-4570 on a Z87 board. I'm running a Q9400 on an Asus P5Q Deluxe, with a 7950 and two Samsung 840 SSDs. That's unbalanced.

    Also, the vidcard he picked out is exorbitant, to say the least.

    I mean, I get it, but if you're trying to show that a hard drive upgrade and a GPU upgrade are all you need in the short term, don't use a CPU and chipset that are barely a year old. Also, I'd argue that an i3 is likely sufficient for probably 80% or so of games to run at high res/framerate simply because the vidcard does so much of the heavy lifting on more modern games.

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    http://www.tested.com/tech/pcs/458302-building-and-testing-unbalanced-gaming-pc/

    This article frustrates me. There is nothing "unbalanced" about an i5-4570 on a Z87 board. I'm running a Q9400 on an Asus P5Q Deluxe, with a 7950 and two Samsung 840 SSDs. That's unbalanced.

    Also, the vidcard he picked out is exorbitant, to say the least.

    I mean, I get it, but if you're trying to show that a hard drive upgrade and a GPU upgrade are all you need in the short term, don't use a CPU and chipset that are barely a year old. Also, I'd argue that an i3 is likely sufficient for probably 80% or so of games to run at high res/framerate simply because the vidcard does so much of the heavy lifting on more modern games.

    I'm running an i3 and haven't had an issue with CPU bottlenecking, so I'd say your argument is pretty sound.

    IKknkhU.gif
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I think the argument is sound as long as you don't have an old system without UEFI (for fast boots) or something with deficient RAM, etc. But yeah, they should have put something together with an older chip!

    I have been considering a new build for a while, but can't bite the bullet and go for it. I am basically running the same build from January 2010! with an SSD upgrade. It's kind of amazing that it plays so many new-ish games as well as it does.

    steam_sig.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice, I went with a 550w, since I went kind of low on the processor and vid card, and might upgrade them in a couple years.

This discussion has been closed.