As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, June 27, 2013 - Platinum

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited June 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Platinum

Platinum
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/platinum

Streamlining

Anonymous

I work at a medium-sized developer, and we’re currently on a project under amazing amounts of stress. We don’t have enough people, turnover is really high, and firefighting is an everyday activity - like any software producer, I’m sure.

Our Leads have been locked up in meetings literally every day. So much so that they can’t get any work done or, say, lead their team. It was so bad, that our weekly Thursday 30-minute check in with our lead engineer had been cancelled 8 times in a row.

With this in mind, management instituted “No-Meeting Thursday.” As its name implies, all Thursday meetings were to be cancelled, to allow teams some time to work with their Leads. This week, when our meeting on No-Meeting Thursday rolled around, our Lead told us that the policy was going to be a real boon to us, because we could now have our meeting on No-Meeting Thursday. So we did.

This week, unfortunately, we were not able to have our meeting with our lead on No-Meeting Thursday, because it had been superseded by another, more important meeting.

Geth on

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    I predict their next idea will be Tactical Thursdays, where no interaction is permitted with persons outside of your team.

And then the Leads are told they're integral members of the management team, and need to go ahead and report to the regular meeting to discuss how well Tactical Thursdays are working out.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I know that developer isn't where I used to work, but I could change a maximum of seven words in that story, and it would apply perfectly to my last job.
    It's like a version of the Peter Principle, where the best developers got promoted to leaders, then ended up spending all their time in meetings, leaving the less experienced developers to actually, you know, develop.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    Man, this comic...

Ok, I get that there's always something about games that looks like a "money grab" nowadays, but I just don't know who to root for anymore. Maybe no one? Is that the idea? Is/are Scott/Mike/Jerry trying to tell us that absolutely everyone in game development is an insufferable asshole in one way or another, or, at best, impossibly incompetent? Because that's the message I'm getting. It's not even funny anymore, just depressing and a bit angering- especially since the things shown in the comic are probably truer to life than most people would care to admit.

The Tales still amuse and enlighten, though.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Man, this comic...

Ok, I get that there's always something about games that looks like a "money grab" nowadays, but I just don't know who to root for anymore. Maybe no one? Is that the idea? Is/are Scott/Mike/Jerry trying to tell us that absolutely everyone in game development is an insufferable asshole in one way or another, or, at best, impossibly incompetent? Because that's the message I'm getting. It's not even funny anymore, just depressing and a bit angering- especially since the things shown in the comic are probably truer to life than most people would care to admit.

The Tales still amuse and enlighten, though.
    They're making a Free to Play MMORPG. If you didn't played any of those, then you won't know that this is how the things are done out there. And belive me, its not THAT bad. At least they're grabbing money for cosmetic items, not for game-breaking ones, that makes it impossible for F2P players to even dare to compete "donators"(those guys that "supports" devs by buing all that shit from in-game store).

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    "No-Meeting"

Those words.. I dunno theenk they mean what you think they mean.

El Skid on
  • Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Redthirst wrote: »
    At least they're grabbing money for cosmetic items, not for game-breaking ones, that makes it impossible for F2P players to even dare to compete "donators"(those guys that "supports" devs by buing all that shit from in-game store).
    I understand how F2P and vanity items work, but Betsy (Janet?) clearly states that "sloth gear" determines loot rolls- which, I assume, means distribution/quality of actual gear that directly effects the game. Combine that with the rest of panel two and we've got a recipe for "strongly encouraging" the players to make purchases that parallels Real Racing 3.

Maybe that's what they're making fun of, but it's still saddening to know people actually think like this.

EDIT - Cora looks uncomfortable with it, and that's to be expected, but she still clearly doesn't give two shits about the QA team- either that, or she's too weak-willed to say anything to Q (who is a massive, manipulative, lying dick). Like I said, I just don't know who to root for.

metroidkillah on
    I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    El Skid wrote: »
    "No-Meeting"

Those words.. I dunno theenk they mean what you think they mean.

It's not just limited to corporate environments; certain manager types in every industry just love to hear the sound of their own voices, love to present common sense as The Wisdom of The Ages and love to put their noses so far up asses that it becomes physically impossible to do your job because they are in such close physical proximity that you might as well be conjoined.

If I had a nickel for every overblown and useless shift meeting I had at a restaurant ....

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    AmmospongeAmmosponge Registered User new member
    What we need is a Sloths/Sick Wealth/Hats venn-diagram shirt. Or just the sloth, that little graphic is filled with so much awesome!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I don't care about who to root for, the comic is getting funnier with each strip.
    That's the point of the comic.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SecretagentmanSecretagentman Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    or she's too weak-willed to say anything to Q (who is a massive, manipulative, lying dick).

At least Q was up-front about it:

i-gGSp8zX.jpg

Secretagentman on
    PSN: matter_ic
    Professional forum lurker
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    "Sloth-shaming"

oh my god

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's definitely odd. When they worked on the first game, it was clear Q had a passion for the source material.

Now, supposedly Q holds this particular IP in the highest regard possible, that's how he landed it. Yet he obviously doesn't care if the shittiest game ever imagined comes out under his beloved IP, and more importantly with his name stamped on it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I'd make a joke about this being like the federal government, but I have a budget review meeting to confirm the budget recomendations from the previous meeting.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It's definitely odd. When they worked on the first game, it was clear Q had a passion for the source material.

Now, supposedly Q holds this particular IP in the highest regard possible, that's how he landed it. Yet he obviously doesn't care if the shittiest game ever imagined comes out under his beloved IP, and more importantly with his name stamped on it.

I think he's still passionate about the source material, but he's getting caught up in the moneymaking potential and just losing sight of what he's doing.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2013

I think he's still passionate about the source material, but he's getting caught up in the moneymaking potential and just losing sight of what he's doing.

And conversely, Cora, who saw herself as a white knight defender of the players with Lawstar, seems unwilling to stand up to Q's efforts to milk and exploit the playerbase here. Although in fairness, she hasn't had much of a chance to respond yet, so we'll see.

What hasn't changed, of course, is Cora's disregard for the well-being and interests of her co-workers.

It seems like Q learned all the wrong lessons from what happened with Lawstar; going freemium with Lawstar saved the game from a player revolt caused by dev/QA incompetence and made him wealthy, so now he appears to only be concerned with monetizing the freemium model for all it's worth.

Gaslight on
  • Options

Well, I think that he was more passionate about
    that first space-cowboy shit. And now he knows what profit you can make with Free to Play game, so it's not about passion now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    that first space-cowboy shit.

His pitch to Cora's dad points to him being pretty damn passionate about Rhymeblade.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    that first space-cowboy shit.

His pitch to Cora's dad points to him being pretty damn passionate about Rhymeblade.
    Yeah, but I think that Q was more passionate about that cowboy shit. Just look how he is offended here http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/sisyphus
    and here too: http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/history
    And as I said above, now Q knows what money you can make with F2P game.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    For some reason, a little old lady saying "We're going to be fucking rich" absolutely floors me. I keep imagining a manic Betty White grabbing me by the shoulders and yelling "WE'RE ALL GOING TO BE FUCKING RICH!!!" :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I know that developer isn't where I used to work, but I could change a maximum of seven words in that story, and it would apply perfectly to my last job.
    It's like a version of the Peter Principle, where the best developers got promoted to leaders, then ended up spending all their time in meetings, leaving the less experienced developers to actually, you know, develop.

This is also what happened in every (Vampire) LARP I've been involved in, as a player or GM. Though that was as much a case of the "adults" sequestering themselves for the serious political roleplay while leaving the larger mass of "kids" to run around unsupervised and, inevitably, get into mischief.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I would also argue that Trenches is more situation humor that character humor. The characters (mostly) have distinct personalities that stay consistent (for the most part), but most of the jokes are either just about the ridiculous situations or are poking fun at actual industry stuff. Since the jokes are the point, it's okay for the characters to break...character...every now and then for the sake of the jokes.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I am starting to think that Q is an evil genius.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    Anonymous wrote:
    I work at a medium-sized developer, and we’re currently on a project under amazing amounts of stress. We don’t have enough people, turnover is really high, and firefighting is an everyday activity - like any software producer, I’m sure.

Nope. Not like any software producer. A properly run software house is nothing like that. Your company simply has awful management.

• Options
    someboddysomeboddy Registered User regular
    Looking for a guild. Here is my sloth:
    a9d.jpg

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    someboddy wrote: »
    Looking for a guild. Here is my sloth:
    a9d.jpg

Ah yes the lesser known cousin of the extinct Ground Sloth

the Space Sloth

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln