As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend non-annoying RPG for the DS

RickRussellTXRickRussellTX Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
So I bought a Nintendo DS -- the first non-Windows gaming platform I've owned in years -- and started looking for good games.

I'd really like an RPG. I tried Lunar Knights, and I was... not impressed. It was OK from a gameplay standpoint (like Diablo, sort of, but nonrandom dungeons), but I was literally choking down the bile induced by ridiculous Japanese-style RPG elements and incredibly bad story. It was like a textbook for bad RPG writing. If they gave out an award for bad RPG writing, I think they would have to call it "The Lunar Knighthood". O_o

Anyway, any suggestions? I don't mind Japanese games per se, but I'd rather have something serious, with a plot that actually makes sense and that induces me to continue playing.

RickRussellTX on

• Options
    FawfulFawful __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Mario & Luigi Partners in Time.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Of all the RPGs for the DS you had to pick out the bad one.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    Hotel Dusk?

Whippy on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hotel Dusk isn't an RPG Whippy.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Advance Wars Dual Strike has a great RPG element to it as well btw. You can level up your characters to get them new abilities and stuff, very addictive and fun.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Contact.
    It's not for everybody, but if you like it you'll really like it.
    Or there's Battles of Prince of Persia if you like cards and tactics gameplay.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, I feel the same way as you and so far have not found anything that pleases me yet, besides FF3, which is basically the prettiest rehash in history. I honestly believe Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings will be fucking incredible. Check out some videos. If you even remotely liked XII, you'll be drooling on your keyboard.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    KuraudoKuraudo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is Dragon Quest Monsters Joker out in the US yet? It's incredible.

Kuraudo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »

OK, I admit, I went to Gamespot. It was their highest-rated RPG other than M&L Partners in Time. It was a mistake. That's why I'm coming here, to the Internet Shrine of Gaming, to ask for help.

As for M&L: Partners in Time, I'm just not sure if I can stomach more Mario & Luigi. I mean, it would be like an RPG featuring Bugs Bunny or Gilligan or something. Kind of hard to immerse yourself in a cultural icon, no matter how good the technical gameplay experience is.

RickRussellTX on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, I feel the same way as you and so far have not found anything that pleases me yet, besides FF3, which is basically the prettiest rehash in history. I honestly believe Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings will be fucking incredible. Check out some videos. If you even remotely liked XII, you'll be drooling on your keyboard.

I'd disagree on FF3 being all that pretty. I wish they would have just made a swank looking 2D game out of it rather than transitioning into 3D.

But that's probably just me.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There are lots of good RPGs for the GBA that you could try out.

Like Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced

That's a fun game d('.')b

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You're thinking of Lunar: Dragon Song, not Lunar Knights. Lunar: DS isn't a bad game but it's extremely bland and cliche. There's really no reason to buy it.

Magical Starsign is okay but if you're looking for an interesting story, look elsewhere. Again, it's not a bad game but the DS has better.

I would recommend the following:

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time - but you should play Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga first (for the GBA). Superstar Saga is the better game of the two but Partners in Time is worth playing too.

Final Fantasy III - Very traditional in terms of gameplay and story but it's the first FF game to have the job class system. Lots of play time, pretty challenging, and a lot of fun.

Contact - Interesting story and characters, good writing, lots of secrets. Expect to do a lot of level grinding though or else you will die.

Lost Magic - Very unique gameplay. You cast spells by drawing runes on the touchscreen and you capture monsters that follow your orders. Monster AI is idiotic but you get used to it.

Taya on
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Puzzle Quest and FF3.

I really should finish 3, but I'm still playing Tactics. God I love that game.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pokémon Diamond and Pearl come out next month. And if you're into pokémon, it looks like it's going to be great.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

OK, I admit, I went to Gamespot. It was their highest-rated RPG other than M&L Partners in Time. It was a mistake. That's why I'm coming here, to the Internet Shrine of Gaming, to ask for help.

As for M&L: Partners in Time, I'm just not sure if I can stomach more Mario & Luigi. I mean, it would be like an RPG featuring Bugs Bunny or Gilligan or something. Kind of hard to immerse yourself in a cultural icon, no matter how good the technical gameplay experience is.
    Well then that's your loss really, you are really missing out on something special.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't ignore the GBA library. It's got some great stuff. The Golden Suns are way fun as is the Sword Night games if you can find them. And, ya know, the Pokeymans.

[size=-2]let me show you them[/size]

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Fawful wrote: »
    Well then that's your loss really, you are really missing out on something special.

It's nothing personal, I'm sure others like it and they have their reasons.

Immersion is somewhat important to me in RPGs, and I want the ability to make my own character, or failing that, to learn the intricacies of new characters.

RickRussellTX on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Don't ignore the GBA library. It's got some great stuff. The Golden Suns are way fun as is the Sword Night games if you can find them...

What's a good site for GBA reviews? I feel kind of burned by Gamespot over the Lunar Knights incident.

RickRussellTX on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If you like sci-fi and haven't played the PS2 versions, there's a DS version of Xenosaga I and II (single card). I haven't played it, but I liked the PS2 versions.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    an RPG featuring Bugs Bunny or Gilligan
    That sounds frickin awesome.

Tingle on
  • Options
    CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Tingle wrote: »

Bugs Bunny: Epic Quest for the Holy Carrot anyone?

With Elmer Fudd as the final boss.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    KuraudoKuraudo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DeVryGuy wrote: »

I'd disagree on FF3 being all that pretty. I wish they would have just made a swank looking 2D game out of it rather than transitioning into 3D.

But that's probably just me.

It's not just you. I hate the remake, but love the original. I wish they'd do a 2D version of it ala the FF and FFII remakes instead of just releasing those two over and over again.

Kuraudo on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Don't ignore the GBA library. It's got some great stuff. The Golden Suns are way fun as is the Sword Night games if you can find them...

What's a good site for GBA reviews? I feel kind of burned by Gamespot over the Lunar Knights incident.

I just use Gamerankings and read the two best reviews and the two worst.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    If you like sci-fi and haven't played the PS2 versions, there's a DS version of Xenosaga I and II (single card).

I do like Sci-Fi and I haven't played the PS2 versions (of anything, since I was previously a PC-only gamer). But looks like this is only a Japanese title; I can't find any reference to an English (or even Engrish!) version.

RickRussellTX on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Magical Starsign I got bored of, so I can't recommend that.

However, if you don't mind action-RPG Rocket Slime is great. I haven't beat it yet, but I'm loving what I've played so far.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Herby wrote: »
    Magical Starsign I got bored of, so I can't recommend that.

However, if you don't mind action-RPG Rocket Slime is great. I haven't beat it yet, but I'm loving what I've played so far.
    It is super short, though. Great and awesome but super short.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    Or there's Battles of Prince of Persia if you like cards and tactics gameplay.

I second this. I found it for $10 a few months ago and finally got around to playing it last week. It's doing a very competent job of sating my turn based needs during this dry spell. I'm not a fan of card-based games but BoPoP doesn't feel at all like a card game, if that helps at all.

As far as other titles on the system (all just my opinion, of course)....

Contact - A great idea that had a terrible execution. The story was interesting but the BRUTAL amount of grinding necessary to unlock the really powerful skills was ridiculous. Despite claims to the contrary it was a pretty easy game, but definitely one I forced myself to finish.

FFIII - A very straightforward RPG. It was kind of pretty, but overall it felt bland....which makes its high price tag a bit of a shame. If you can find it on the cheap I'd go for it.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime - It isn't really an RPG, but it's definitely fun. A mindless diversion that goes by quickly but is worth a look.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - I still contend that this is the most enjoyable game I've played on the DS and it is filled with "RPG elements" (tm). Lots of leveling, stat building and spells.

As others have recommended, your best bet at this point is to mine the GBA library. The Golden Sun series, Final Fantasy I & 2, IV, V & VI (is it out yet?), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, both Fire Emblems, Tactics Ogre, those Super Robot games, and apparently Atlus has released a bunch of interesting GBA RPGS in the last couple of years.

My two cents....

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tingle wrote: »
    Gilligan RPG? Wait! An RPG that mashes together old TV shows ala Kingdom Hearts! So you'd have a Gilligan's Island world and a Lost in Space world and an Addams Family world and so on.

Fuck! Someone get a team working on this!

-SPI- on