As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Yes, we know when the Summer Sale is. No, we're not telling you.

The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
edited July 2013 in Games and Technology
KmM2a.gif
The Summer Sale is still not here. No, we don't know when it is. Yes, we need it too.
@Luchaire is still a dirty dirty steamwhore.
Games are only a means to an end to collect Cards.
Cards.
Cards.
CARDS.
Game lending may be coming. Who knows for sure? Only the gaben.

CH74Z.png
Welcome to the Steam thread! This a magical place full of generosity and chilling displays of over-consumerism. Let this post be your guide.

n97Zp.png
Steam is a store/program by the Valve Corporation. It is both a storefront as well as a sort of launcher program for games bought from it. The easiest way to describe it is as iTunes for video games, and it's a rather apt comparison as Steam is just as much a juggernaut in its market as iTunes. We're talking THE biggest digital distributor of PC games, with a market share that is actually pretty comparable to Apple's little program.

Why use Steam?
4ZIJU.gif

vEerB.png
Steam's real claim to fame is sales, which started about 6-7 years ago and have been increasing in variety and frequency as the years go by. Let's go down the main types of sales.

The Seasonal Sales: These are the two "big ones" that Steam does twice a year, and both run for roughly two weeks. You have the Summer Sale, which typically starts in late June/early July, and then the Winter Sale which starts a few days prior to Christmas and typically ends a few days after New Year's Day. These are chock full of varying sales, which I am now going to list.

- General Sale: During a seasonal sale, just about EVERYTHING goes on sale by some degree. This is typically around 25% or so, but deeper cuts do happen. The only games that don't go on a general sale are recently released titles and games released by stingy publishers (Activision).
- Daily Deals: A bit of misnomer now, but these are around 6-10 games that get even deeper discounts than the general sale. We're talking 50% or more in most cases. "Dailies" used to last 24 hours, thus the name, but recently they tend to last 48 hours. There are new dailies every day until the sale ends, and dailies tend to not repeat.
- Flash Sales: shorter sales of around six titles. SOMETIMES flash sales are deeper discounts than the Daily Deals, but this wasn't the case in the last Seasonal Sale. These tend to last 12 hours and do repeat.
- Voter Sales: The same as a Flash Sale, only Steam users voted on it. Three games will be up for vote, along with the discount that will be offered for each game should it win. Once the previous Voter Sale is over, the winner of the current vote goes on sale for 12 hours and a new vote begins. Vote options repeat frequently, though not always against the same other two games.

Gtyrd.gif

Seasonal Sales are basically a big deal around this thread.

Holiday Sales: A typically week-long sale around some holiday, typically Thanksgiving and Halloween. There are daily deals, and sometimes the other deals pop up (Thanksgiving sometimes get a general sale).
Publisher Sale: A publisher greases Valve's palm and gets a sale. These are similar to holiday sales, only there is generally a daily deal for one game each day, and the games will be unsurprisingly connected to the publisher.
Midweek Madness: Occurs every week, roughly starting midday Tuesday and ending Thursday afternoon. A game or two will get a decent discount for the duration of the sale.
Weekend Sale: Same as Midweek Madness, only slightly longer and TENDS to attract more AAA titles. Happens every week, starting midday Thursday and ending midday Monday.
Daily Deals: Literally a sale every day! Tends to be a decent discount that, as the name implies, happens every day for exactly one game. Deals goes up middday and lasts for 24 hours. Utter crap is generally up for grabs on daily deals, but sometimes you find some really good stuff here.

Note that, during bigger sales (mostly seasonal sales), the Midweek Madness, Weekend Sale, and Daily Deals are suspended until the bigger sales ends.
7xy5i.png

TrXAw.png
This is a big thread, and thus there are some guidelines to keep things nice and orderly throughout. Refusing to abide by these guidelines could get you in trouble, which includes being kicked out of the thread entirely if you are a real pain.

- This thread is for Steam-related discussion. Try to look for other, more appropriate threads before discussing games or other topics in here. Let's not drain other threads of precious content!
- Do not beg for games. This will make you unpopular and probably less likely to get anything.
- If you did get a gift, then thank the person for their generosity! Use the notification system so they can see your thank you post! ( @NAME OF PERSON )
- Likewise, if you give a gift, then you should probably mention your PA handle somewhere in the message.
- Do not whine over who got a gift.
- The person is spending money to give back to the community, and they have final say in who gets the gift.
- If you feel something is amiss in the thread, then quietly report the responsible parties. Posting about it will accomplish nothing, and probably just exacerbate things.
- Giving away games via contest? All entries must be PM'd to you! The thread gets too cluttered otherwise. You can, however, post the winning entries.

Steam Thread Primer - What gives with all the inside lingo? Here's your chance to be part of the in crowd today!

Steam Thread Primer:

Gaben/The Newell - Gabe Newell, Director of Valve Software. Called "Gaben" because in the commentary for older Source Engine games he would tell players to email him at "Gabe N. at valvesoftware.com" with user feedback. Used to be the subject of a lot of weight-related jokes, but those have sort of fallen out of fashion.

Serve the Newell - To buy games on Steam, to give Gaben your money. From this comic edit.

Bad Rats - An incredibly awful 'physics' based puzzle game, available on Steam, notorious for being as awkward as it is broken. Will haunt your dreams. Popular gift to give to people.

Gifting - Buying a game on Steam and giving it to another person.

Class - An attribute demonstrated by people who will generously purchase games and then give them to internet strangers.

Class War - When two or more forumers buy each other games back and forth until one of them gives up. I know this sounds really crazy, but it happens.

Bundle - Originally the Humble Indie Bundle, which was a "pay what you want" system for a group of games, now usually means any website selling a group of games (usually able to be registered on Steam) for a low price.

The Group/The Steam Group - The Penny Arcade Steam Group. Although this usually refers to the main PA Steam groups, there are many PA groups on Steam for various games (for example, PA Crime Time for Payday: The Heist).

Giveaway/A Giveaway - Usually refers to a giveaway on Steamgifts.com, a website where you list a game you want to give away, people enter, and then a winner is randomly decided among all entrants after a set time period.

Tuftoo - A corruption of "TF2" (Team Fortress 2)

Hats/The Hatconomy - The purchase and sale of in-game hats or sometimes other items in TF2. Some hats are very valuable, which is funny because they are just hats for videogame characters. People who have valuable hats or other items in their inventories sometimes get messages from random people on Steam begging for those items.

Boner Toots - Bientôt l'été, a game on Steam. Super artsy-fartsy pretentious "art" game. Also sometimes gifted as a joke.

Backlog - The list of games you have purchased, but have not gotten around to playing yet. Tends to grow over time, often to immense proportions. If you do not have a backlog yet, between the thread and the sales you will get one.

Spies/Russian Spies - People who lurk the thread or try to get into the various PA Steam groups not to participate in the community, but instead in order to try and get free games from the classy people here.

Steamsigs - Custom forum signatures that display a link to your Steam profile, as well as an image of a game you are currently playing, have played the most in the last two weeks, or have played the most over all time (if you haven't played any games on Steam in the last two weeks). Available here courtesy of forumer Suds. Having a Steam sig (or some sort of clickable link to your Steam profile in your signature) makes it considerably easier for people to add you to their friends list.

Child's Play - A charity started by the writer and artist behind PA that raises money for videogames/toys that go to children's hospitals, originally started in '03, has grown every year. Helps sick kids feel better about their time in the hospital while simultaneously refuting the idea that gamers are antisocial jerks.

Isy - Big Classy, a forumer. Formerly known as "Big Isy", he was granted the new name after donating a hefty amount of money to Child's Play during a fundraiser. Sometimes referred to as Isy, which might cause confusion to people who haven't been around very long.

The Sale/Summer Sale/Winter Sale/etc - Seasonal Steam sales. Home to absolutely ridiculously good deals. We are edging closer to the Summer Sale right now. I recommend saving up a few bucks because there will be deals galore. Seasonal sales have their own general guidelines to follow to maximize your purchasing power, they are posted in the thread often before and during the sales.

Summer Dale - A phone's auto-correction of "Summer Sale", which through some sort of internet voodoo produced an actual entity, a smooth voiced funk loving man who lives in a world where the 80s reign eternal and supreme. Also sometimes used to describe the upcoming Summer Sale itself.

Rainbow and/or Slash - Two forumers by the name of Rainbowdespair and slash000 who are notable for developing the third and fourth installments of the Penny Arcade: On the Railslick Precipice of Darkness series. Also developed Breath of Death VII and Cthulu Saves the World, two RPGs that, alone with the Rainslick games, are available on Steam.

FtFG8.png
I have too many games! Which do I play?
Steam Roulette randomly picks a game for you to play.

I have too many games! How do I move them to my new hard drive?
Steam Mover makes transporting your massive library much easier.

How do I make one of those cool Steam Gifts signature giveaway banners?

v0nJCVB.jpg

8Ob97.png

Why did Steam reject this CD-key?
Only games that also run under Steamworks will have their CD-keys accepted by Steam if bought elsewhere. If a game is not Steamworks, then it will ONLY install on Steam if you buy it via Steam. Most digital distributors will now mention Steam if it is required to run the game, but another list can be found here. Note that you can make shortcuts in Steam that will play non-Steam games through Steam. As far as your friends list is concerned, you will be "In-Game" but it'll just give a generic "Non-Steam game." Also, no community perks like achievements.

Why are some games not available in my region?
Publishers determine what countries get what games. Someone in a suit decided that it wasn't worth the money to make the game available to your region, so it isn't available on Steam. This also applies to cases of games having edited/censored versions showing up on Steam in certain countries. The good news is that you can generally get around this by having someone from another region gift or trade you the game.

What is this Steamgifts site? I wish to create a giveaway! I cannot enter a giveaway!

Steamgifts is a neat site that lets people create giveaways for games on Steam. If you cannot enter a giveaway, then you either lack points or aren't in a group required by the giveaway. Points are accumulated over time, so just wait a bit if you lack points. The group thing is generally done by communities to prevent mooches from getting games. If you are new to the forums, then spent a few months in the thread proving that you are serious about being a member of this community. Eventually, you will invited to the group that is required to enter our giveaways.

Steam is downloading slowly. What gives?
When a big title (or Team Fortress 2 content patch) comes out, you may notice really shitty download rates. This means you are likely on one of the default servers for downloads, which is being assailed by millions of people. Head to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads + Cloud and change your download region until things improve. Since other regions are typically less populated, you will probably get somewhat better results even if the new server is in another country. There are other ways to force Steam to switch which server you are downloading from, but these are just video games and maybe you should learn a little bit about patience.

The Steam thread has a proud tradition of marrying our love of Steam and Penny Arcade in comic edits:

steamregulator.jpg

GALLERY OF EDITS:
ibxLHlG35kActf.jpg

n6r4F.jpg

tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

indiegala.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

steamgifting.jpg

neverfinish.jpg

coupons.jpg

P9CBk.jpg

fpota.jpg

steamprayer.jpg

trainsj.jpg

contestvd.jpg

LHrXd.png

l4W8s.jpg

ibh5BT3Q3pNVkA.jpg

xT0BFwm.jpg

Go forth, and serve GabeN!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Hello new thread, welcome to your short life in this cruel world.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I want the comic edit from the last thread with the moneybags instead of gabe holding his girl. Anyone have that post on hand?

• Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Hello new thread, welcome to your short life in this cruel world.

It's the sad, but necessary side effect of the level of classiness in the Steam threads.

For every gift that is given, the lifespan of the poor thread is shortened.

Please, won't you think of the Steam Threads?

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Sweet Sweet Summer Dale

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So when the @Summer Dale comes, how many days per thread are we looking at, 2? 3?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ha, preemptive OP strike on Luchaire!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »
    So when the @Summer Dale comes, how many threads per day are we looking at, 2? 3?

FTFY

• Options
    I want the comic edit from the last thread with the moneybags instead of gabe holding his girl. Anyone have that post on hand?

Not on my phone. Check Rorus Raz's awesomes.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Geez. New thread and I get to break it in with the usual "let's classbomb Pixie" thing. :P

I was muddling my way through Metro 2033, since I figure I better get off my duff and finally beat it since GearGirl dropped Metro Last Light on me recently. I exited the game because, hey, I can only take so much of scary monsters jumping out of dark tunnels at me, and I'm immediately confronted with a gift popup containing what might qualify as the most eloquent gift messages of all time.
    primordia.jpg

Thanks to @Minor Incident for Primordia! I'm a sucker for a good adventure game, and post-apocalyptic settings, and this looked particularly intriguing: investigate the extinction of the human race. One of my deepest fantasies, fulfilled!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

Not on my phone. Check Rorus Raz's awesomes.

That worked. thanks.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Super Crate Box is still free. Doesn't get much cheaper than free.

It's okay, nice pick up and play platformer shooter goodness.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    I'm back, baby! Got an ocular migraine on the plane which likely means no gaming tonight for fear of the corresponding head pain (it's actually kind of neat if totally freaky, half my vision just becomes black and white geometrical static). So, what's the latest classy gift to bomb folks with? Haven't even checked today's daily...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    I'm back, baby! Got an ocular migraine on the plane which likely means no gaming tonight for fear of the corresponding head pain (it's actually kind of neat if totally freaky, half my vision just becomes black and white geometrical static). So, what's the latest classy gift to bomb folks with? Haven't even checked today's daily...

Oh dear, you have every ounce of my sympathies. Migraines lay me out for days at a time. Booo!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    Same. I get the crazy static vision, too. Always fun times.

Also, it doesn't matter what you gift bomb right now, as long as it hits @Luchaire.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
  • Options

Also, it doesn't matter what you gift bomb right now, as long as it hits @Malakaius

FTFY

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Ok, new thread, time for some proper thanks (and sorrys).

Really, you guys are too classy (and quick). I asked for help earlier and 2 minutes later I already have @Luchaire asking me for an email and sending me the DLC. She also refused to take anything in return, so I'll have to find a way to set things straight. Thank you so much!

Then, literally just seconds after getting the email Luchaire sent me from GameStop, @Krummith PMs me a code too. You guys are too much and now I just feel bad. Thanks for trying to help and so sorry I made you spend that money. I'll try to make it up to you once the Dale arrives!

And that's not all, apparently @Smokestacks was so frustrated with the existence of the GameStop App that he decided to just send me a gift directly through Steam. Thanks for Trackmania 2 Stadium, my dear chap!

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    @Spoit - Stop agreeing with people when they say shit like that! I have your wishlist. I'm not afraid to use it!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Goddamn. ALL you fuckers have SPAZ. That's a good thing in that it's an excellent game, not as great for my needs though...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Also, it doesn't matter what you gift bomb right now, as long as it hits @Luchaire.

I have it too... used to be only at night I could see it, but over time it's become persistent. As a kid I'd tell my parents: "I see static at night. Do you?" and they just didn't understand. Shit sucks.

Could be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen_persisting_perception_disorder

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    ....Visual snow isn't normal? I suppose that next you'll say that you're not supposed to have every light at night be duplicated like 6 times....per eye

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Elin classed up my new thread experience with the gift of another Sealed Deck run for Magic 2014! Thanks Elin for feeding my addiction to limited and thanks also to @Idx86 for Magic 2014. I've been playing the heck out of it the last couple of days. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Geez. New thread and I get to break it in with the usual "let's classbomb Pixie" thing. :P

I was muddling my way through Metro 2033, since I figure I better get off my duff and finally beat it since GearGirl dropped Metro Last Light on me recently. I exited the game because, hey, I can only take so much of scary monsters jumping out of dark tunnels at me, and I'm immediately confronted with a gift popup containing what might qualify as the most eloquent gift messages of all time.
    primordia.jpg

Thanks to @Minor Incident for Primordia! I'm a sucker for a good adventure game, and post-apocalyptic settings, and this looked particularly intriguing: investigate the extinction of the human race. One of my deepest fantasies, fulfilled!

Ker Blam.

Also, enjoy!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

I have it too... used to be only at night I could see it, but over time it's become persistent. As a kid I'd tell my parents: "I see static at night. Do you?" and they just didn't understand. Shit sucks.

Could be this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogen_persisting_perception_disorder

I used to get it with no pain at all, just a drained feeling afterwards. A few years ago I had two with the migraine pain others are used to, and DAMN! Now I feel like a fragile little eggshell partially shattered whenever I get a residual trail in my vision from a bright light.

Also, found a target I was really surprised to not already have as a friend.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    @DaringDirk is a filthy classhole!

Thanks for Penny Arcade 4!

• Options
    @jubal77, post a link to your profile.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    @Viking was offended by my lack of Rogue Legacy. So he pillaged it with maximum class into my gamebank.

I'll take a look at it as soon as I can pull it out of my bleeding headbones.

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Sometimes I rather read about games then play them. Is something wrong with me?!?!?!?!?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    @jubal77, post a link to your profile.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jubal77/

• Options
    Jungleskye wrote: »
    Sometimes I rather read about games then play them. Is something wrong with me?!?!?!?!?

You think any of us actually play games?

That's so.... adorable.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I have an extra CK2 Sunset Invasion Card. message me on steam, I'll be back online in a few. Gotta get mexican and groceries.

• Options
    Wooden SpoonWooden Spoon Great for SaucesRegistered User regular
    You could make better use of that time by not reading about games, and instead buying them for people who will never have time to play them.

It's a karmic race to the top, but there is no top.

FFXIV:Iadrich Loffel
    Wooden Spoon on Steam
    3DS: 1005-8709-0277
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    @Viking is killing it

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Jungleskye wrote: »

You think any of us actually play games?

That's so.... adorable.

Oh I know a good majority here rather collect games then actually play them ;)

• Options
    I quite like the people here.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Thank you for the invite! :)

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    I got an extra Endless space Sheredyn and a BoI I the Magician if anyone wants to swap for something.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Can anyone shoot me an invite for the G+T group? My steam profile is in my sig.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Ok here are the two giveaways:

signature.png

signature.png

End tomorrow at noon pst.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I quite like the people here.

Man, where's the disagree button? We can't stop here, this is classhole country.

Karoz on
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    For those that watched @corriganx play amnesia you will appreciate this. http://imgur.com/kCxcISZ

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.