As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ninja Gaiden:Dragon Sword

TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
Sorry if this is not thread-worthy, but I'm excited.

Ninja Gaiden:Dragon Sword
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158289

Prepare to smash all those shiny DSes against the wall.

TyrantCow on

• FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1up wrote:
    as Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword is not a side-scroller, but a 3D, overheard action game that will reportedly be mostly controlled through the stylus.

:(

EDIT: The typo is 1up's, not mine.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I wish they'd make it into a TBS a la Battles of PoP. Would fit the franchise really well.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Btw I'm pretty sure there's already some Lunar game or something that has this exact same subtitle. They're running out of lame-o acronyms.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So it will control like Phantom Hourglass, or what?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Craveon wrote: »
    Btw I'm pretty sure there's already some Lunar game or something that has this exact same subtitle. They're running out of lame-o acronyms.

dragon song.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited March 2007
    You mean like Wild World. That one did it first I think (or maybe Trace Memory?)

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And to be fair, wasn't his weapon always called the Dragon Sword?

Aoi on
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    And to be fair, wasn't his weapon always called the Dragon Sword?

Correct.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Craveon wrote: »
    You mean like Wild World. That one did it first I think (or maybe Trace Memory?)

I have not played either...
    Lost Magic was about the most "frantic" I got with the stylus and... I really didn't have a whole ton of fun with it. Here's to not being inundated with too many stylus controls.

TyrantCow on
  • mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    screens

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148387&page=2

scroll down page to see

(I hope this is not violating anything on this forum (crosses fingers))

mekman 2 on
  • jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    Prepare to smash all those shiny DSes against the wall.

oh jesus...I shook my DS with Trauma Center so hard...I don't think it can stand this game

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I love Ninja Gaiden. And I love the DS.

This will be interesting and I look forward to it.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »

Agreed on all accounts.

Although my favorite part of NG is pulling together unbelievably cool looking combos, I'm sure what's here will be awesome.

Graviija on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All those screen shots... were using both screens?

TyrantCow on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If they nail the combat and difficulty this could be most excellent.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I nearly destroyed my DS lite playing Mario Hoops 3 on 3. I only made all golds on normal mode (and then simply completed the hard mode). The prettiest DS games are always the most punishing, seemingly.

mekman 2 on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is exciting news.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This truly is exciting. I always place my bets that Itagaki will develop for the most powerful platform, since he is so infatuated with graphics. I know that he mentioned a long time ago that he was enticed by the DS, but I figured that meant some kind of Tokobot DS was in the works or something.

Never saw this coming. And now I'm excited.

slash000 on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow I was kind of expecting another remake of NG..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When I saw this on Kotaku I was hoping for a new 2D Ninja Gaiden or a collection of the old NES games. I'd love that. As for a 3D game, I don't know. I'm certainly more excited for Sigma.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    You're more excited for a remix, of a remix, of a three-year-old game?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    if my DS can survive the barrage of spinners and 14 beat long strings on Jumpin Jack Flash on sweating, it can survive any kind of ninja action.

colour me excited. :D

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A new 2D Ninja Gaiden or Ninja Gaiden-esque game would be awesome. Fortunately we have Ninja Five-0, which currently holds the title as best portable ninja game of all time, and possibly one of the best Ninja games ever.

But, as good as NF0 is, there really needs to be more Ninja games in general these days. NF0 came out forever ago, and as amazing as the game is, you can eventually get tired of it when it's the only good portable Ninja action game. I'm really looking forward to NG DS, and I'm actually intrigued by making it 3D. Excited, even.

slash000 on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Graviija wrote: »

Agreed on all accounts.

Although my favorite part of NG is pulling together unbelievably cool looking combos, I'm sure what's here will be awesome.

Come, let us prey to the altar of Itagaki-san. We shall offer him sacrifices of hard liquor, slutty women, and Aerosmith LPs. Afterwards... blood orgy!

...On second thought, let's just cut it short at the Aerosmith LPs and leave it at that.

LCDXX on
  • Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know why more people aren't excited at the prospect of this game. NG on xbox was the best 3D action game of all time. This has the potential to be the best 3D action game on the DS.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
    edited March 2007
    I don't know why more people aren't excited at the prospect of this game. NG on xbox was the best 3D action game of all time. This has the potential to be the best 3D action game on the DS.

To be fair, there aren't many of us that agree to the supremacy of Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. It was praised in the media, but ultimately a lot of people were turned off by the harsh difficulty. Black was an attempt to address that, but I fear that it was too late in changing the broader appeal for the game. Sigma looks to be another attempt at expanding the appeal even further by roping in some of the Playstation userbase. And I won't begrudge them that - it needs to be out there and accessible to as many gamers as possible (although I wish/hope that Sigma gets some port action on 360 so I can play it, too).

Those of us that "got it" are sometimes viewed as frothing masochists. Particularly by the DMC/GoW crowd... but mostly the DMC crowd.

I have really high hopes that Ninja Gaiden: DS will not only further the franchise popularity, but also "click" with the current fans who are going nuts for more hard-as-nails fucking ninja action.

LCDXX on
  • Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would like Sigma AND NG2 on XBOX 360. DO YOU HEAR THAT ITAGAKI!?

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I believe I read that the game would be similar to the recently released Disney Meteos remake, where the DS would be turned on its side, leaving the touchscreen oriented vertically.

Hlubocky on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    100% stylus controlled. Except for blocking.

That's why.

I keep envisioning Rag Doll Kung Fu DS.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hlubocky wrote: »

I believe I read that the game would be similar to the recently released Disney Meteos remake, where the DS would be turned on its side, leaving the touchscreen oriented vertically.

I hope there is a way to have it orientated either way. Being left handed, having the touch screen on the right hand side means that the other screen will be covered by my stylus controlling hand =(.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    telcus wrote: »
    Hlubocky wrote: »

I hope there is a way to have it orientated either way. Being left handed, having the touch screen on the right hand side means that the other screen will be covered by my stylus controlling hand =(.

Brain Age and Hotel Dusk both have an option to flip the screens/controls, I'm sure that won't be left out here.

I love Ninja Gaiden on the XBox to death, I know it's an impossibility but it would be cool if this DS game somehow has more to do with the NES game storylines than with the XBox game.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When I saw this on Kotaku I was hoping for a new 2D Ninja Gaiden or a collection of the old NES games. I'd love that.

As long as they're better ported than the SNES trilogy, at least.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Graviija wrote: »

Agreed on all accounts.

Come, let us prey to the altar of Itagaki-san. We shall offer him sacrifices of hard liquor, slutty women, and Aerosmith LPs. Afterwards... blood orgy!

...On second thought, let's just cut it short at the Aerosmith LPs and leave it at that.

I wonder if he'll try to stuff an Aerosmith song in there somewhere. Maybe during the credits. :lol:

Aoi on
    edited March 2007
    HOLY FUCK!
    NINJA GAIDEN: DS IS GORGEOUS! (by DS standards)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168366.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;2

New pics and images.

Edit: more new pics and images: http://ds.ign.com/articles/777/777221p1.html

LCDXX on
    edited March 2007
    ninja-gaiden-dragon-sword-20070329100135553.jpg

ninja-gaiden-dragon-sword-20070329100136194.jpg

ninja-gaiden-dragon-sword-20070329100136991.jpg

ninja-gaiden-dragon-sword-20070329100137319.jpg

ninja-gaiden-dragon-sword-20070329101034800.jpg

ninja-gaiden-dragon-sword-20070329101035565.jpg

LCDXX on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    a fan of DMC thinking a fan of NG is a masochist is a big hypocrite

so like, when are they going to make NG2 anyway

bongi on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, those pictures make it pretty clear which NG mythos this game's based off of.

It does look nice, though. I'm pretty sure the original Ryu's adventures ended with Ancient Ship of Doom, and maybe that's for the best.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ninja-gaiden-dragon-sword-20070329101035565.jpg

Is that.... an obscene gesture? Well, fuck you, too, ninja!

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would like Sigma AND NG2 on XBOX 360. DO YOU HEAR THAT ITAGAKI!?

I don't htink Itagaki has a hand in Sigma, does he?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    100% stylus controlled. Except for blocking.

That's why.

I keep envisioning Rag Doll Kung Fu DS.

But the very best DS games are stylus controlled.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png