As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV SE++] Early access is go! REALMS ARE REBORN, GO KILL STUFF

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    sargaes of the burning legion

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    judging by the thread in the mmo forum, everyone is open to voting for a new name. so thats good, i think we outgrew naming every single guild wang or some such a long time ago.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    listen you guys, we all push for Falafell House, naysayers be damned

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Falafell House is the light.

• Options
    though whoever this group that decided to be the guild leaders are are saying they aren't really willing to change it, dunno who they are though

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I suppose that I'm jumping the gun. I'll leave further discussion up to ambassador Farg

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    why not make an se++ guild

who needs those guys

• Options
    edited July 2013
    We can leech them for guild housing $crilla then ditch em later

SCREECH OF THE FARG on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It's not so much we're unwilling to change it, but those in charge of the guild are unable to respond to the proposed changes. I've been chatting with @Sionnach Rua all afternoon, and we've emailed @Greg USN but he's out at sea with spotty internet as hasn't gotten back to us yet. Sion is open to a name change, I am was well, but Greg has yet to chime in.

A fair bit of background setup work and planning has already been done (redoing the website is tedious but not really a big deal), it's more of an issue of how long are the people looking to change the name going to stick around? As significant investment of time and money is going to be put towards guild housing, and if those people up in arms about the name are not going to be around for long why should we change it just for them? Pardon the bluntness but I'm laying it out like it is.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Whoops, there I go again.

Radius on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I'd just like to point out that you can be all about end game PVE content and still have a silly name.
    Shambler Milk.

• Options
    I don't think there is any appreciable difference in dedication to the game between sub forums, in all honesty we will probably end up with very similar ratios in terms of players who stay for the long haul vs dudes who leave after a month or two

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    why not make an se++ guild

who needs those guys

I just came up with a great name for it
    Falafell House

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I would hope that's the case. Who would have thought there'd be this much friction trying to get two sub-communities to come together. I'm not trying to make this a casual vs hardcore, SE++ vs GnT, or anything frankly. I just want to make sure that both sides know what's been going on in the background, so that we can all be happy and have a unified home on Satanagartanas. All this coming down to a name again sucks and kind of ironic, but we'll reach a resolution long before the game goes live.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Are there any guild rivalry features in this game

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Who would have thought there'd be this much friction trying to get two sub-communities to come together.

Pretty much everyone here, actually.

• Options
    I would hope that's the case. Who would have thought there'd be this much friction trying to get two sub-communities to come together. I'm not trying to make this a casual vs hardcore, SE++ vs GnT, or anything frankly. I just want to make sure that both sides know what's been going on in the background, so that we can all be happy and have a unified home on Satanagartanas. All this coming down to a name again sucks and kind of ironic, but we'll reach a resolution long before the game goes live.

we must, if we wish to play harmoniously on sacramento

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    there's a lot of SE people who don't gel with GnT people, too

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    I have to be honest, though. While I am somewhere between the hardcore and casual level, I'm way more on the casual side when it comes to guild.

Which is why I loved Shambler Milk. I didn't have to go to another website, didn't get pressured into spending a ton of time on whatever, and didn't have to deal with a ton of guild stuff. It was just a bunch of people who wanted to play a game together and have fun with everything the game had to offer, oh and we were pretty damn good at the raiding thing too.

Once it morphs into something more than that, I start to lose interest, and I'm sure a lot of the SE folks feel the same way, which is why there's arguments now, and why there were similar ones in the past (and will be in the future).

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Just because you post on the penny arcade forum doesn't mean the guild has to be associated with penny arcade with the name, especially when the association is Wang.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So, if this whole thing falls apart... Falafel House on Gilgamesh?

ja4HYNW.jpg

Noxy on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    QaSdp5m.png

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh yeah, the next phase is a completely new client right? so I can just uninstall the current one?

also looks like the character creator benchmark is being released august 1, with a live thing on the 8th and Phase 4 pretty soon after that

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    zucchini wrote: »
    I have to be honest, though. While I am somewhere between the hardcore and casual level, I'm way more on the casual side when it comes to guild.

Which is why I loved Shambler Milk. I didn't have to go to another website, didn't get pressured into spending a ton of time on whatever, and didn't have to deal with a ton of guild stuff. It was just a bunch of people who wanted to play a game together and have fun with everything the game had to offer, oh and we were pretty damn good at the raiding thing too.

Once it morphs into something more than that, I start to lose interest, and I'm sure a lot of the SE folks feel the same way, which is why there's arguments now, and why there were similar ones in the past (and will be in the future).

This is actually a great use for linkshells. All of the social hangout, none if the guild pressure. Free companies have a lot of associated perks and such that people work towards, but anyone can make a linkshell and populate it with whoever they like for whatever purpose.

Personally I can already tell you I will probably have 3 linkshells right off the bat that i'l be part of. Whatever the generic PA one is, a smaller one for close friends, and a third one for a secret purpose I have yet to disclose ;)

That still gives me 5 spots to use for any other interesting linkshells I come across, and I'm sure there will be plenty of them :)

Basically I'm just saying the Guild isn't the end all be all, if that's not really your thang the linkshells are a much more "hangout" centered mechanic that might suit you better.

Of course there is nothing preventing you from doing both either :D

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    It's not so much we're unwilling to change it, but those in charge of the guild are unable to respond to the proposed changes. I've been chatting with @Sionnach Rua all afternoon, and we've emailed @Greg USN but he's out at sea with spotty internet as hasn't gotten back to us yet. Sion is open to a name change, I am was well, but Greg has yet to chime in.

A fair bit of background setup work and planning has already been done (redoing the website is tedious but not really a big deal), it's more of an issue of how long are the people looking to change the name going to stick around? As significant investment of time and money is going to be put towards guild housing, and if those people up in arms about the name are not going to be around for long why should we change it just for them? Pardon the bluntness but I'm laying it out like it is.

Greg said in the other thread that while some people he's bringing in are fond of We Are Nice Guys, he'd be open to a change.

Greg kinda just inherited the mantle because he's got a character with everything at 50 and the resources/dedication to take care of it. I dunno really who the other guy is, but seems nice enough.

But yeah, I think a lot of us are perfectly open to naming it whatever, really. Falafel House is funny; but as I said in the other thread, my only concern is that a year from now it won't feel 'haha' but *groan*. So I'd just be concerned with joke names just because of that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited July 2013
    See, if there's going to be a generic Penny arcade linkshell, then why does it matter if we have our own free company except that our houses may not be as nice as quickly?

Radius on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    i think if anything is going to feel "groan" a year from now it's going to be yet another goddamn tired-ass self-referential dick joke

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Radius wrote: »
    See, if there's going to be a generic Penny arcade linkshell, then why does it matter if we have our own free company except that our houses may not be as nice as quickly?

My understanding is that initially housing will be FC only, personal player housing will come afterward.

I could be wrong on that though.

EDIT: but i'm also on the side though, of just having a Linkshell and calling it good for awhile.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited July 2013
    i think if anything is going to feel "groan" a year from now it's going to be yet another goddamn tired-ass self-referential dick joke

Which is why no one really cares about WANG.

EDIT: My original vote was Claw Shrimp which was SE++'s Linkshell name in FFXI back at launch, nearly a decade ago. But no one else liked that, and several people chimed in with the We Are Nice Guys thing which is fairly common in the MMO forum for new MMO's. I don't think anyone cares that much about the name either way.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

My understanding is that initially housing will be FC only, personal player housing will come afterward.

Well there could be another FC, he's saying

I think the issue is whether or not a generic PA linkshell would be big enough for everybody

I mean, we don't have a huge number of people right now but maybe that changes in phase 4

and since the linkshell size is smaller than the free company size that could present a communication issue

or maybe it won't idunno

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Because with a Free Company the more people you have the more you can work together and build towards objectives. Linkshells are designed specifically to just be social so if that's all you care about then there is no need to make a separate Free Company in the first place.

Anywho I'm just assuming there will be a linkshell since people mentioned they would make one early on (since it's easier to set up a linkshell than it is to set up a Free Company as it's cheaper, you can get it earlier, it's not tied to a grand company, etc etc)

My guess is that there will most likely end up being a Raid Linkshell, a Social Linkshell, a Trading/Crafting Linkshell, etc.

None of that is set in stone or anything though, just my own musing as to the various uses of linkshells and how I imagine people will use them. As I said before I know that personally I'll have one for close friends, I'll try and be a part of any PA ones there are, and I'll have a third for another purpose, giving me ample space for other linkshells for other purposes should I come across other cool peoples.

*Edit* Basically there is no reason to have Separate Free Companies when you can divide and subdivide as much as you want via linkshell and name your linkshells whatever you like. (Well, maybe not as MUCH as you want as you are technically limited to being in 8 linkshells at a time.)

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    It maybe my own opinion and preference, but i have always be partial to Penny Arcadians.

I mean, it has the possibility of longevity.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

Well there could be another FC, he's saying

I think the issue is whether or not a generic PA linkshell would be big enough for everybody

I mean, we don't have a huge number of people right now but maybe that changes in phase 4

and since the linkshell size is smaller than the free company size that could present a communication issue

or maybe it won't idunno

Does anyone know if the Free Company itself has a communication channel within it? I just assumed anyone involved in the Free Company could communicate by default and that the Linkshells would be alternate communication forms to use.

Admittedly I don't know much about FCs as I never got that far in the beta.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I also think that makes a nice middle ground between not wanting to be named something horrible or dumb and wanting to be obviously affiliated with penny arcade, which I think of people joining the Penny Arcade Webcomic Forums Guild is not a small percentage

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Why don't we just say, G&T will make the Linkshell, SE++ can make the Free Company. Ya'll can name the FC what you want, we can name the LS what we want.

Everyone can play in one larger pool of players which benefits everyone.

Just like the server name, the FC name and the LS name are far less important than playing with more people and having a better community. SE++ and G&T certainly have different cultures here; but in-game we can all get along.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Hey this is that other guy Herpes was mentioning =P. I just posted in the other thread that I don't care on the name either way for reasons that names I find really cool and such I highly highly doubt anyone on the PA forums would care about. Such as, Fragarach. Translates to The Answer and is a fairly famous Celtic sword owned by a couple of the more famous heroes from I believe the Ulster Cycle. But yea basically I do believe I'd be the only one to really be omg love this name, so I don't care too much on the name long as it a dash classy and what Dude with Herpes said above.

Oh and hello nice to meet you all. I hope we will all get to know and enjoy each other's company once the game hits live =D

Sionnach Rua on
    FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2013
    Is the only objection to WANG as a guild tag? Because NICE works too.

I would like to think we really are nice guys. (and gals) and there is a LOT of history behind the guild name in all sorts of MMOs.

Edit: I confess to not reading the previous 41 pages. SE++ threads typically move too fast for me to have the time to devote to keeping up with them.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    no, its the name itself

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, I am still claiming dibs on I Require Frozen Treats, so whatevs. :P

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    you GnT fellows really don't understand the modern connotation of the term "nice guys", do you.

This discussion has been closed.