As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV SE++] Early access is go! REALMS ARE REBORN, GO KILL STUFF

interrobanginterrobang kawaiias  hellRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in Social Entropy++
XLJU5.png

Update: Release Date Announced - August 27th! Open beta starts next month! Closed beta signups still going on!

NA: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/na

EU (English): http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/eu

Want to keep track of the story that started with 1.0? The game may have been terrible, but the story is still decent. Check out this link, or this one.

Let us speak now of the great tragedy that befell our world, so that future generations may learn from the folly of our forefathers.

Once, a great and powerful nation spoke of grand tidings over the discovery of a new world: Eorzea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwk3Ps3Jayw&hd=1

In this world, the people would gather to embark on exciting new adventures, fulfill long desired dreams, and band together for glory and recognition.

Instead, what they found was misery and torment, the likes of which have never been felt in even in our darkest fantasies. Hatred and despair filled our hearts, and the once revered nation faced ridicule over the damage they had unleashed to their loyal populace.

As hopes dwindled to an all-time low, the impoverished masses waited for a bright light to bring them out of the darkness.

Then, finally, that light had arrived...as a light of destruction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=39j5v8jlndM

As if facing punishment for their arrogance, the world of Eorzea would now face destruction at the hands of the very nation that created it. The devastation would leave countless dead and lands reshaped into unrecognizable formations. Truly, it seemed that a dark end had await the dark times.

But from the ashes of devastation, a God has emerged...

eScfRl.jpg

No, not that God.

980Gml.jpg

This God. Once a mere mortal of little renown, this man now possessed incredible power and knowledge, which he has pledged to use to recreate the dead world of Eorzea into a Realm Reborn.

Welcome, brave travelers, to the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Thread

Uh, don't we already have an FFXIV thread?

Yes, but just as 2.0 serves as a reintroduction to FFXIV, so too have we decided to create a new thread exclusively focused on A Realm Reborn and its multitude of changes from the original game.

You can still visit the old thread here in order to discuss the original game, which is set to shut down its servers on November 11th, 2012.

So how many changes are they making with 2.0? A few extra quests, a tweaked battle system, some new jobs?

How about a completely new game built entirely from scratch? In an unprecedented move, Square Enix plans to completely scrap the original game (or should we say, wipe all traces of its existence) and develop a brand new engine for the relaunch, one that is more suited for a massively multiplayer online game, as well as fulfilling all of the planned additions and content from the game's new producer/director, Naoki Yoshida (aka Yoshi-P).

And boy, is he promising a lot of stuff...too many to list, in fact. As a self-styled MMORPG fan himself, Yoshi-P claims to know full-well what makes for a good online role playing game, and has been working tirelessly to appease the very community Square Enix spat on. With his outreach to the community, his friendly demeanor and appealing promises, Yoshi-P has managed make FFXIV sound like something worth caring about again.

So basically, he's the Obama of Square Enix

Perhaps. It remains to be seen if he really will make good on all of his grandiose promises. But unlike other Square Enix employees content with telling rather than showing, Yoshida has been telling and showing the new FFXIV at every available opportunity.

Not just CG trailers, either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOcL7fDuzMw&hd=1

But the actual game in motion, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIOq-2T5V5A&feature=player_embedded&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJt3UOBhU8&hd=1

Some of my personal favorite new additions include:

1. A redone, fully customizable UI

qGkJrl.jpg

Oh, how people despised the original game's UI: overly huge, clunky, and incredibly slow to open and navigate. Even if you're not a hardcore MMORPG, as a PC/Mac user you no doubt realize the importance of a quick and accessible menu screen.

2.0 finally brings Final Fantasy's UI to the 21st century, and goes even beyond that. Not only are you allowed to have all the crazy amount of icons on-screen that you want, but you are given 100% full reign to re-arrange, re-size, drag and drop every single icon on the screen effortlessly. As shown on the video above, you can choose how to personalize your UI with a single click, and with no restrictions.

2. Smaller Text Bubbles

6f9Htl.jpg

Remember how needlessly huge the text windows were in both FFXI and FFXIV? Every single line of text, from NPCs, PCs, your own party, to even the battle stats, were all tossed into one gigantic window like some kind of text orgy.

In 2.0, NPCs have their own dedicated text bubble, which expands in size depending on how brief or lengthy the sentences are. Considering how chatty these characters get, I can't stress how merciful this addition is.

Also, Yoshida promises a lot less talking, which seems to be the case given how quickly the player in the video above accepts a new quest. And yes, even the text bubbles can be dragged around at your leisure.

3. Jumping!

GUdqql.jpg

This is another feature that might seem small to those of you who haven't played either online FF. Let me assure you, in the case of FFXIV, this is a game changer.

Too often have we been forced to take the long way around spiraling cities and multi-floored areas. Far too many times would we come across a gap that appeared wide enough to drop down from only to have our character stuck due to invisible walls.

With a jump button and with less restricting architecture, it's now a breeze to meet up with distant friends or hop your way out of a long trek out of an area. It's a significant improvement to traveling, and that is only further improved with...

4. Mounts!

4f05Yl.jpg

Currently, it's unknown what limitations, if any, will be imposed on 2.0's mounts. The video above indicates that players can call up their pet Chocobos at any time without restriction. We can only hope there's no cooldown limit or a required amount of Gyshal Greens or anything of the sort: Yoshi-P promised that 2.0 would carry all the best features from MMOs like World of Warcraft (and unlike FFXIV's previous staff, he actually has played that game), so hopefully that means no limits to calling them.

What has been promised is the ability to raise and customize your Chocobo to assist you in battle. Not only can they don armor, but you can raise them as different kind of support classes (tank, healer, etc) to suit your needs. There's even talk of situations requiring mounted combat, along with other unique mounts to find and collect...including Magitek Armor.

Yes, that Magitek Armor. He is specifically pointing to FFVI here, not an inspired offshoot. Many more classic FF items, events and locations are said to make an appearance, including FFVII's Gold Saucer. FFXIV's upcoming Meteor event is also clearly taken from FFVII. Is it considered unimaginative and pandering to just dump all these FF references? Who cares, we're getting Magitek Armor mounts!

Oh wow, they're really getting serious with this. I need this game now!

You're in luck! The game is scheduled to come out on August 27th, for PS3 and PC! Join today and further the cause of The Maelstrom! 'TIL SEA SWALLOWS ALL, COMRADE.

So do I have any reason to play the current version of FFXIV now?

Well, the Legacy program (in which you are given an exclusive mount as well as a reduced subscription fee if you subscribed to 90 days before May) has now expired. You can still earn levels and play through the main story and/or quests until November 1st: after that, the game will go free to play for everyone, but none of the progress made during that month will carry over.

At the very least, see if you can find a copy of the original for cheap, since you'll be able to update to 2.0 at no extra cost. Square is planning to repackage the game, so if you don't mind paying $20 more just to have the update pre-installed (presumably), don't stress over it.

There are some PA folks still playing the game now (check the link above). Some are even claiming that the game is fine now as it is.

Hopefully they won't take it the wrong way while the majority of us wait impatiently for the red Meteor to come and stain their world red.

OP credits to Professor Snugglesworth

interrobang on

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Need to update this: Release Date is Aug 27 and open beta, aka beta 4 is next month.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Need to update this: Release Date is Aug 27 and open beta, aka beta 4 is next month.

done and done

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    This game is shit hot

I am playing a Lalafell THM named Ryan Davis on Coeurl.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    This game is shit hot

I am playing a Lalafell THM named Ryan Davis on Coeurl.

i hope you have screenshots

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    PS3 :(

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Wow august 27th.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    nooooo

• Options
    I will be subscribing to this here MMO

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I always seem to buy/try new MMOs but I never end up playing them cause I've nobody to play with, I guess this will be the same.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    I always seem to buy/try new MMOs but I never end up playing them cause I've nobody to play with, I guess this will be the same.

well

you'll have me and BaR!

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    i really want this really really bad but my computer is idling at 54 and i refuse to play on your peasant settings

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I really enjoyed what I played of this. Didn't get too deep, only level 6, but it had everything I've ever wanted in an MMO

That is to say, it's on a console and doesn't have art design I completely hate

So yeah, I'll definitely do more in the beta and am most likely gonna buy it as well

UnbreakableVow/Selvaria Gullwing/Behemoth

EDIT: P.S. Nice OP

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    yeah that's a really good dp

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

Thanks. :rotate:

Should also mention that if you own the original game, you're supposed to get ARR for free.

But if you also own a PS3, the PS3 CE is actually the best value.

You get the physical extras as well as in-game bonuses that carry over to both versions. And the PS3 version runs surprisingly well, too.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm leery of subscription fees ever since I stopped playing WoW. Have they announced the prices already?

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    @pharezon linked me a discount code http://www.dealzon.com/deals/final-fantasy-xiv-pc that'll get you 25% off the price tag.

there's options for the pc standard and deluxe versions, and the ps3 standard version. and they expire TOMORROW.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    I'm leery of subscription fees ever since I stopped playing WoW. Have they announced the prices already?

the game will be $30 on pc, $40 (i think) on ps3

base subscription fee is $12.99/mo

• Options
    @pharezon linked me a discount code http://www.dealzon.com/deals/final-fantasy-xiv-pc that'll get you 25% off the price tag.

there's options for the pc standard and deluxe versions, and the ps3 standard version. and they expire TOMORROW.

Not the physical CE, dagnabit.

Why would you want a digital artbook?

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    this game is awesome im on midgardsormr?

but im level 5 so i can always make a new guy

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options

Should also mention that if you own the original game, you're supposed to get ARR for free.

You get the physical extras as well as in-game bonuses that carry over to both versions. And the PS3 version runs surprisingly well, too.

How good at the extras in the CE?

2dtr87s.png
  • Options

How good at the extras in the CE?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/

• Options
    this game is awesome im on midgardsormr?

but im level 5 so i can always make a new guy

it's cool everyone's dudes are likely get wiped at the start of the next beta phase anyway

what's your guy's name

• Options
    So not very.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    I respectfully disagree.

And I almost never buy CEs of anything.

• Options
    Well the in game items are cosmetic only afaik

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Playing the beta, really surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. Gonna wait til I get in another weekend before I really make up my mind, but it really seems to avoid a lot of the things that usually turns me off hard on mmos. Probably won't subscribe out of the gate (pretty broke still) but hopefully eventually.

I will say I just looove how they design the world. Like things are actually on a scale that makes sense, very little wandering through supposedly ramshackle sheds with a 40 foot tall roof, or being forced to walk for a minute through deserted streets just to reach a single lone shop. Lots of variety in NPC clothes, and PCs can dye their own clothes so you don't get that "Do I dress for stats or dress to look non-clownish?" dilemma. And the lighting is pretty great compared to any MMOs I've played, shadows lengthen steadily, you can just walk outside and tell if it's early morning or late evening really naturally by the light in the air.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    the coeurl mount is sorta neat but i can't put black mage armor on it

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    doesnt the ce let you play early?

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Well there are two more beta weekends in phase 3. Then a complete wipe. Then phase 4 is open.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    yeah you get early access which is like a week's head start whoops nvm

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options

pre-ordering the game at all gets you early access

CE just gets you items

• Options

pre-ordering the game at all gets you early access

CE just gets you items
    ok this is the most important thing for me

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Tantrum Stockholm - Hyperion

• Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Pre-ordered this morning. I played 11 on and off for years, and I still get the itch to resub. Doing the beta right now, and jumping sold me instantly. Luckily, the rest of the game seems pretty great!

• Options
    thanks for the coupon code!

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    FINALLY A FFXIV THREAD FOR THE RESTIVUS. WELCOME TO THE GUNSHOW, MY BISHIES
    ZRo0Vhv.jpg

z1o1pAI.jpg

1O4CKIa.jpg

OyI4BgV.jpg

YOU THINK YOU'RE TOO GOOD FOR SUBLIGARS?

CONAN WOULD LIKE A WORD WITH YOU
    MXaQ3bd.jpg

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    np! it should also be said that buying the game gets you a free month but folks might know that already.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I just signed up for the beta

I really hope I hate this game, my life is too complicated to fit an MMO into right now

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    i kinda feel like every MMO that makes you buy a box should come with 3 free months. It feels weird to pay a full fee and then a monthly fee

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i migh tlook into this, depending on some angles. Seems like a solid enough mmo and the game has style which is something i haven't seen many MMOs delve too deeply into.

This discussion has been closed.