Options

Starting out

seanyyyyy81seanyyyyy81 Hillsboro, OrRegistered User regular
Hey all,

My name is Sean. I have always been drawn to art (no pun intended... seriously), ever since i was a child. I am now 32 and attempting to find more direction for my life. My art education capped at a high school level. I have a good friend (Nakedzergling) that has been telling me that if I am serious about getting better one of the most beneficial things to do is get registered here and start posting my work. I admittedly avoided it due to insecurity about not being even a little bit good. However, I recently decided that in order for me to get better I need to first be able to be honest with my expectations. I, for all intents and purposes, am the epitome of a novice. I am very interested in digital coloring and painting. I just got my cintiq 13hd in and it came with a 90 day trial of corel painter 12. I have used corel painter sketch before and so far i am enjoying Painter 12. Here are a few things I have done. The flower and the fighter are only colors of line art I found online. The Reaper is a digital sketch from about 1 year ago (that is when I last attempted anything art related.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

flower_zpsefad7deb.jpg

hero_zps7b17e59b.jpg

reaperPage1_zps3bc83ff1.jpeg

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Welcome to the boards! I have not used corel painter but I think a fair number of forumers here have, hopefully they will have some better advice for you. Congrats on the cintiq! The colors on the flowers are very nice and subtle, the fighter colors are a bit flat in comparison but the reaper sketch is cool.

For the best feedback you should make something new from scratch so we can get a handle on your current skill. Don't be insecure about any level of ability you may have, the only important thing is a will to improve and you have already shown that by posting in the first place.

Looking forward to seeing more!

• Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome BC! I agree that the color of the fighter came out super flat. For some reason whenever I tried to add depth it seemed so drastic or far too subtle. Working on a few basics by painting stuff around my work space. I will post them when I get a little farther along. Thanks again!

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I agree that making something new for us to assess would not be a bad start.

What kind of art do you want to make ultimately?

Whatever you're interested in, if you want to produce representational drawings or paintings, the best place to start is studying from life with very simple traditional media, like pencil and paper (or any other simple media that you are comfortable with). Your current long-term goal as a newbie is going to be establishing some basic foundational skills that will help wrap your brain around the challenge of representing 3D forms in 2D space, and study from life is one of the best ways to flex that brain-muscle.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Here is what I painted for practice tonight. Just a can and solo cup I had in my space. Not your traditional fruit basket but i figured it would yield the same result. :)

ArizonaCansmall_zpsde796264.jpg

• Options
    cup_zpsd5497148.jpg

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Dafuq? Did you and Zerg just draw a still life of the same cup?

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    That sir...is exactly what happened!

• Options
    Yes M that's what happened. But he crushes me with his art powers! Haha.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    May want to give this thread a look:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/172670/feb-monthly-enrichment-simple-shapes-light-and-form

Especially this proko video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3WmrWUEIJo

actually all the proko videos are pretty good, for starters.

• Options
    Iruka! That video was great! Thank you so much. Very easy to follow along with and at no time did I feel overwhelmed by it. Thanks again. I need to get an adjustable desk light to help me further analyze how light works.

• Options
    EGG_zpsd2503568.jpg

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Hey man, good work so far! Good to see a newcomer willing to put the effort in and practice the fundamentals :)

If I could make a recommendation about your observational studies. Lay in the whole environment first, even if it's just a few placeholder lines. If you get into a habit of not including environments it will become more difficult to place things in perspective down the line, Especially if you ever want to finish a piece. Doing a rough lay in first you will save yourself a lot of heartache and work later on in the piece.

A good way to do this is to make the background and environment of what you're drawing part of the composition. Placing a cloth underneath your subject is not only a great way to include the environment in your study, but is also a great way to study the way cloth folds and to study different materials that cloth is made of.

Keep up the good work :)

ninjai on
  • Options
    Thanks ninjai! I will definitely start using that cloth. The picture of the egg I was referencing only had a black background but if I'm being honest I probably would've omitted it anyway. Thanks for the advice!

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Thanks zerg sleepy now I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

Woodman_zpsd1fcc5e9.jpg

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    If you can keep practicing like this you're gonna go far. Good stuff!

• Options
    Thanks Flay! I'm really trying to focus on building a strong foundation. In the past I would get frustrated cause I wanted to create amazing art. I guess I thought I can see the light and shadows, why can't I make this look better!? That was crazy! I am lucky that currently I have fun no matter what I'm trying to recreate. I'm assuming I will eventually get bored and keeping at it will become more challenging at that point. Any suggestions on how to stay the course when that point comes?

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Every once in a while, take a step back and draw something for fun so you can see your newly learned skills put to use.

Sometimes it's really helpful to draw the same thing 3-4 times too.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    threadbareconnorthreadbareconnor Registered User regular
    with a little clean up you would have some awesome concept art with the middle one

SHIFTS: http://bit.ly/1aqJDBQ
    LOL: pewpewlsrbeams
  • Options

Nappuccino wrote: »
    Every once in a while, take a step back and draw something for fun so you can see your newly learned skills put to use.

Thanks for the tip Nap. Do you think at this time I would benefit more from keeping things loose and sketchy? Then doing to same thing a few times in a more "unfinished" style? Or should I work the same piece until "finished" then do it again after?

• Options
    with a little. lean up you would have some awesome concept art with the middle one

Thanks for the post TBC. When u say "middle one" I am assuming you meant of the initial 3 pics posted? If so I just wanted to say that was a digital color I did. I wish it was an original! Lol I have the hardest time drawing from my mind. Hopefully it comes with time and practice. :)

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Thanks for the tip Nap. Do you think at this time I would benefit more from keeping things loose and sketchy? Then doing to same thing a few times in a more "unfinished" style? Or should I work the same piece until "finished" then do it again after?

I guess this depends on what your needs are. If you can quickly build accurate objects with fluid movements (i.e. draw with your whole arm, not your fingers) then cleaning up and "perfecting" one drawing is probably going to be a bit more helpful.

but if the structure of the object is bad, all the polishing in the world won't fix that.

(just going by a couple of your drawings, it seems like you could use more confidence in your initial laying out of the forms, I would say draw the basic object 2-3 times and then do some polishing once you feel like you've nailed the form)

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Sounds good. Thanks for the help Nap!

• Options
    laid in rough background of my messy desk, but hid the layer to focus on the statue.
    WoodmanTwo_zpse97ace5b.jpg

• Options
    WoodmanTwo2_zps068b7483.jpg

• Options
    My attempt to paint one of Nakedzergling's Killer Pink Fluffies. Sorry Zerg I will make another when I get better. Drawing from the mind is hard.

kpfj_zps771ab3c3.jpg

• Options
    pre-grain-of-salt-warning: Some others might disagree with me here, but just my opinion.

I would really like to see one thing, still life or otherwise, done with just linework. No colors, just black and white. Line weight and variation is super important, even during the coloring process, and I would think you would benefit from some basic black and white practice. Try to avoid hatching and shading and see if you can convey shape and form with a few lines as possible.

• Options
    pre-grain-of-salt-warning: Some others might disagree with me here, but just my opinion.

I would really like to see one thing, still life or otherwise, done with just linework. No colors, just black and white. Line weight and variation is super important, even during the coloring process, and I would think you would benefit from some basic black and white practice. Try to avoid hatching and shading and see if you can convey shape and form with a few lines as possible.

BC I won't disagree at all. I'm sure the reason I don't do that is simply because I am horrendously terrible at it. My lines aren't confident at all. I often find myself making new lines over the old lines and everything gets muddy. I suppose this may be because I was never taught how to build form from line. As with most high school art class it was mostly value, shading, and color wheel. Are there any specific excercises you can suggest for me to practice? As always thanks for the feedback and motivation.

• Options
    Thanks for keeping such an open mind! You have really responded well to all of the feedback here and I think that should be noted.

Since this exercise would be mainly about the lines themselves, maybe try a version on an existing simply designed character. Think a ghost from pacman, but with smooth lines, not pixel-y ones. When you start, just make the shape however you feel comfortable, sketchy lines or whatever. Then make a new layer and trace the shape you made in smooth, broad strokes. I'm sure that Corel Painter has a pressure sensitivity settings somewhere, play around with those until you find a setting that you are comfortable with.

A lot of people forget to draw from their shoulder when they start out. This doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me. Don't let your elbow rest and use your whole arm to make lines. Line confidence isn't something that just happens so don't worry if you aren't happy with the result.

• Options
    trying to build line confidence... ugh.

pacghost_zps1080e8e9.jpg

• Options
    oh man! That's AWESOME bro!! Good energy, good layout. Keep doing more like this!

• Options
    pacghostTwo_zps49589fb7.jpg

• Options
    Awesome stuff. Looking good! Nice lines and cool composition.

• Options
    Thanks guys! I still have a long way to go. Thanks to BC for recommending the ghosts. Anymore suggestions for improving line coconfidence?

• Options
    Bill Amend's Foxtrot characters are pure linework, a nice step up in difficulty and super fun to draw:

jason.jpg?1281371156

• Options
    MyGfsDogMyGfsDog Registered User regular
    I actually like the pacman ghosts better before being colored. The color is a little too dark for those characters. It's really good composition on that one, though.

• Options
    MyGfsDog wrote: »
    I actually like the pacman ghosts better before being colored. The color is a little too dark for those characters. It's really good composition on that one, though.

Thanks dog! I agree that the simple line work looks more finished. Which is crazy because at first I thought it needed more. I guess sometimes less really is more.... unless its actually less. Then I am sad. Thanks for the feedback!

• Options
    Because who does not like comic boobs!? Inspired by the Jackie Denardo Character from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." Seriously though any tips for better blending? Having a hard time with it. Seems like when I try I just kind of make a lighter or darker mess and can't seem to get a smooth transition no matter what I do. I know the lines are super rough and I probably should have cleaned them up prior to posting but I wanted to ask about the blending. Thanks all.........and thanks for looking at my boobs.
    BOOBS_zps6ec7c069.jpg

• Options
    Was working on concept ship for Star Citizen today. figured I would give it a try...

shipday1_zps6426fd1d.jpg

• Options
    shipday2j_zpsc0415c53.jpg