Options

Watchmen.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    Watchmen might be really literary and deep and trend-setting, but it's also not a very fun comic to read. I am 100% sure that it is because I am functionally twelve-years-old, but I'd rather read pretty much anything else than slog through Watchmen again.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    It's like, have you guys ever read Miracleman and Zenith? They're both "everything you know is wrong!" superhero-deconstructionist works from the eighties, but Moore's Miracleman is overwhelmingly serious and dour and depressing and Morrison's Zenith is fun and wacky and crazy. I don't mind somebody doing a bit of the old po-mo deconstruction, but does it have to be so weighty and serious?

In summery, I don't like Watchmen because it's not very fun to read.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Disturbed_1Disturbed_1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Are you kidding me? After reading the first chapter of watchmen it was hard for me to put the damn book down.

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Watchmen might be really literary and deep and trend-setting, but it's also not a very fun comic to read. I am 100% sure that it is because I am functionally twelve-years-old, but I'd rather read pretty much anything else than slog through Watchmen again.

I never once thought Watchmen was boring. It's brilliant through and through.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

I never once thought Watchmen was boring. It's brilliant through and through.

Not even when you were reading that essay about birds?

Though to be fair, I never gave it an honest shot. Damn my bird prejudice.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think it was to point out the fact Dan was a creepy bird-o-phile.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh, to tell you the truth, I never read those long articles at the end of each issue...
    Maybe I should. I bet I'm missing out on a whole lot of awesome.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh, to tell you the truth, I never read those long articles at the end of each issue...

The excerpts from the original Nite-Owl's auto-biography are aces.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know if I'd say it's boring. It's really good, just so deadly serious about what it's doing.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Menace wrote: »
    Has Hayter's script for the movie been released/leaked at all or anything?

I am curious to see how they will be able to adapt this for the big screen.

I haven't been able to find it, but I did find one that was absolutely horrendous.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So with the movie finally moving forward, I've been thinking about how I'd do it if I was in charge. A few thoughts:

1. Watchmen really needs to be split into two full-length movies. There's a hell of a lot of plot going on, and I couldn't bring myself to drop much if any of it. I figure the ideal split is at the end of (iirc - Disturbed_1 has my copy at the moment) Chapter 7, with
    [tenement rescue]

[superhero sex]

"I think we should spring Rorschach."

"...What?!"
    2. I cannot emphasize this enough - Jeff Goldblum as Dan Dreiberg. It sounds ridiculous at first, but I read through it last week with Goldblum's voice reading the lines and I can't think of anyone better. Adam West as Hollis Mason would be icing on the cake.

3. It was rumored a few weeks ago that Tom Cruise was offered the part of Ozymandias and turned it down. This is unfortunate. Honestly Cruise would have been great - he would have drawn in some non-readers and lent some production heft, and Veidt's supposed to be a world-famous figure with odd reclusive tendencies. Plus, they're both colossal dicks.

I don't think I've ever had such a personal investment in a comic-book movie before, but Watchmen is one of my favorite books ever and I actually care what happens to it. I'll be watching the casting news carefully.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I can barely, just barely imagine Jeff Goldblum as Dan. I dunno about that one, mate.

I do agree however, Tom Cruise would have been pretty sweet as Ozymandias. Shame, he was so close to signing on as well.

I really wonder who's going to play Dr. Manhattan.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I read Watchmen about a year ago. I'm glad I did. :)

Seriously, the part where Rorschach
    jumps out of the guys fridge was so awesome. And the second time he leaves a note that says, "Look behind you." :lol:

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh yeah, Doc Manhattan. When I read his lines, I hear Clancy Brown; He's got the voice for it, but he'd never pull off the physical presence. I feel like in the interests of diversity they could (possibly, should) probably cast a black guy as Jon, but it might take some rewriting of his backstory given the exclusive nature of the '40s-superscience bit.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I've always supported CGI for Manhattan just to capture that feeling of "This shouldn't be here" that's central to Doc.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You know, that's a good point. I've been reluctant to think about a CGI Jon, but given how believable some of this stuff has gotten (have you seen the new Transformers stills? Damn.) I guess it's doable.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    HAHAAHAHAHAHA! I got bitstreams copy! Ive read it once and am rereading it anagin and Jeff as niteowl is a perfect fit.

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I vote CGI because Jon is supposed to be unbelievable. Unnatural. Something about him is supposed to seem wrong to us. And I think a CGI representation of him would accomplish that.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ya i agree.

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

You really should read them. I didn't on my first read through of Watchmen, but on the second I went through all the articles and it really adds even more to the overall book. You get to see extra little clues into each of the characters, especially Rorschach and Ozymandias, and the autobiography chapters in the beginning give some insight into why people would realistically want to become superheroes.

Jebu on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I vote CGI because Jon is supposed to be unbelievable. Unnatural. Something about him is supposed to seem wrong to us. And I think a CGI representation of him would accomplish that.
    I think that having a naked guy painted blue walking around would do that just as well.

Really, the only thing going on in my head any time I read about the Watchmen movie is "don't fuck it up".
    It's an endless loop recording that starts when I hear the words "Watchmen Movie" and doesn't stop until I have a stiff drink. I can't even contribut to casting discussions because of it.

I wonder if I should see a doctor about this.

see317 on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sadly, I'm totally convinced that any movie of Watchmen will "fuck it up." I just happened to catch V for Vendetta on cable the other night, and, man, look at how they fucked that one up.

How fucking hard can it be to have a goddamn, true anti-hero that you hate just as much as his enemies?

But back on topic, if a Watchmen movie tries to focus on the "costumed adventurers in action" aspect, it's going to suck. If it tries to focus on the main, overall mystery (someone is killing ex-capes), it will have no appeal. The mystery story doesn't mean anything until the big reveal at the end. And it takes way way too long to get there, in terms of movie pacing. Thus, any movie is going to lose the parts that really make the story the good: the deep characterization.

Hollywood is never going to figure out how to make and sell a movie based on a so-called superhero comic book that really isn't a "comic book" but an illustrated novella. It's like reading Dostoevksy with pictures, and that doesn't really adapt well to a Hollywood movie.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The interesting thing is, when you read about what Zack Snyder has to say about the Watchmen movie, he is taking it very seriously.
    He's not acting like some moron who's going to come in and ruin everything the source material stood for.

I think it could turn out OK.

Also, If the CG of Manhattan is done to the quality standard of Golem, I would have no beef with that.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    why the fuck would they waste money to CG Doc Manhattan

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Because he is meant to be an extremely tall blue guy with a representation of the hydrogen atom etched into his head.

Couscous on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    And nobody wants to see a realistic blue-dong bouncin' around.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    What that person said.

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    wait, when do you see the Doc's dong?

I must have missed that panel.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Because he is meant to be an extremely tall blue guy with a representation of the hydrogen atom etched into his head.

I'm glad they thought of CG when they put Nightcrawler in X-Men 2. Man, he would have looked weird with blue paint and makeup etchings

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'm glad they thought of CG when they put Nightcrawler in X-Men 2. Man, he would have looked weird with blue paint and makeup etchings

There's quite a difference in the reasons the two characters are blue tho.

Nightcrawler? Blue fur/skin.

Manhattan? Made of omnipotent radiationsauce.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »

There's quite a difference in the reasons the two characters are blue tho.

Nightcrawler? Blue fur/skin.

Manhattan? Made of omnipotent radiationsauce.

And it doesn't make a dang difference visually

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Is Kal saying Doc Manhattan's supposed to glow in the dark?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is Kal saying Doc Manhattan's supposed to glow in the dark?

I'm saying it wouldn't be amiss for him to look a bit stranger than just a dude whose skin is blue. I'm fine with having the actor in body make-up, but give it a touch of CGI enhancement so it doesn't look like he's about to start banging rhythmically on random objects with a couple buddies.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wait, when do you see the Doc's dong?

I must have missed that panel.

They show him nude from the front in several panels actually, check out when he takes Laurie to Mars.

Last Son on
  • Options
    SumalethSumaleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's interesting that Doc doesn't have shading after he turns blue. He's "full bright", to use a gaming term.

There's about a 1 in 50 chance of making a good film from it. And as Alan Moore says about all his work, why do you need to adapt it into something it isn't? You've got the comic, that's the best it's going to be.

If the film just happened to work, by some miracle, it could be the next Blade Runner or whatever, but it's like trying to stack billiard balls. Way too much luck needed to achieve that 1 in 50.

Sumaleth on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sumaleth wrote: »
    It's interesting that Doc doesn't have shading after he turns blue. He's "full bright", to use a gaming term.

There's about a 1 in 50 chance of making a good film from it. And as Alan Moore says about all his work, why do you need to adapt it into something it isn't? You've got the comic, that's the best it's going to be.

If the film just happened to work, by some miracle, it could be the next Blade Runner or whatever, but it's like trying to stack billiard balls. Way too much luck needed to achieve that 1 in 50.

it would take too talented of a director make a superhero movie that wasn't about superheros so much. i'd rather not see that movie I think your odds are too good for that one.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There are a lot of talanted diractors out there. How is directing it anyway?

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ......the hell?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wait. I know. Nevermind.

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Read the rules on sig size, man.

Calamity Jane on