Options

[NHL]: Can Seattle Take the Vegas Front Office in the Expansion Draft?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Is Deadspin the only one who has that? I can't get the video to load or find it anywhere else

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Gritty: can't even take videos correctly.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Gritty is the hero we need.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Whoa, Ron Hextall out as GM of the Flyers

hopefully because he refused to fire Hakstol and that'll be the first thing the new GM does

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    oh shit

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If the new franchise isn't the Metropolitans, I will be very disappointed.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Goose! on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I look forward to the Seattle-Vancouver beef to come.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    so if they do call themselves the Metropolitans, do they get to put up a banner for the 1917 Stanley Cup?

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

I do and I don't. I live in Seattle but have been a Canucks fan for 25 years. Can't see myself switching loyalties now, but I don't want to root against the hometown team either. This is great news for my beer league team, though - should be a bunch of new rinks getting built in the area, maybe I won't have games starting at 11pm on Sunday any more.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Aww there goes my plan if I came into money to buy the Coyotes fold them and take the team to Seattle or somewhere else

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

I do and I don't. I live in Seattle but have been a Canucks fan for 25 years. Can't see myself switching loyalties now, but I don't want to root against the hometown team either. This is great news for my beer league team, though - should be a bunch of new rinks getting built in the area, maybe I won't have games starting at 11pm on Sunday any more.

Working at a bar in Seattle and being more of a hockey fan than any of the regulars, I repeatedly got the question of where my loyalties would lie if Seattle ever got a team. Would I still be a Detroit fan, or would I switch to being a Seattle die-hard and abandon the Wings? I always answered that I would always be a Red Wings fan first, but I would absolutely root for the home team.

I will, however, be eyeing that first season schedule hard for the dates that the Wings visit Seattle, and I will be wearing my Zetterberg sweater.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    I feel the Metropolitans is a cop out name as there are probably better ones but you would have to really think about them and do focus groups blah blah blah

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Aww there goes my plan if I came into money to buy the Coyotes fold them and take the team to Seattle or somewhere else

I think they're greasing the rails for a relocation to Houston.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I feel the Metropolitans is a cop out name as there are probably better ones but you would have to really think about them and do focus groups blah blah blah

It's a name that has ties to both the city and hockey, and is on the Cup. There are worse choices.

Edit: Then again, I just remembered what other pro sports team shares the name...

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Do they ever get called the Mets or is strictly long-form?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I think they're greasing the rails for a relocation to Houston.

That seems even a even worse choice than the phoenix blob

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    The Mets? That's going to be rough to get used to.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »

Working at a bar in Seattle and being more of a hockey fan than any of the regulars, I repeatedly got the question of where my loyalties would lie if Seattle ever got a team. Would I still be a Detroit fan, or would I switch to being a Seattle die-hard and abandon the Wings? I always answered that I would always be a Red Wings fan first, but I would absolutely root for the home team.

I will, however, be eyeing that first season schedule hard for the dates that the Wings visit Seattle, and I will be wearing my Zetterberg sweater.

Date, not dates. Only two games against other conference teams, one home one away.

It's a name that has ties to both the city and hockey, and is on the Cup. There are worse choices.

Edit: Then again, I just remembered what other pro sports team shares the name...

Betting markets don't like it, not even on the list at bovada. I'm partial to sockeyes! They instantly become my second favorite team regardless...

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I always though Firebirds should be the name of a team in Phoenix -- what sport it is is irrelevant.
    Of those, I would probably favor the Renegades, but really I think it ought to be the Eagles (a plane previously built by Boeing as well as the bird), or the Grinders.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    It makes me laugh that the odds on favorite there is supposed to be honoring the native populace but I'm pretty sure the Coastal Salish didn't generally carve totem poles and the famous pole in Seattle was stolen from an Alaskan tribe.

Edit: source from the Burke natural history and culture museum in Seattle https://www.burkemuseum.org/blog/how-did-totem-poles-become-symbol-seattle

Carpy on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    It makes me laugh that the odds on favorite there is supposed to be honoring the native populace but the Coastal Salish didn't generally carve totem poles and the famous pole in Seattle was stolen from an Alaskan tribe.

Seattle's always played fast and loose with how we "honor" our native populations, but the main reason Totems is in the conversation now is because that was the name of our WHL team from the 1940s-70s. I'd be stunned if that's the eventual winner, though, betting markets be damned.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    I still say go with Metropolitans (Metros for short instead of Mets), raise the 1917 cup banner on opening night, piss off the third of the league without cups.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    It makes me laugh that the odds on favorite there is supposed to be honoring the native populace but the Coastal Salish didn't generally carve totem poles and the famous pole in Seattle was stolen from an Alaskan tribe.

Seattle's always played fast and loose with how we "honor" our native populations, but the main reason Totems is in the conversation now is because that was the name of our WHL team from the 1940s-70s. I'd be stunned if that's the eventual winner, though, betting markets be damned.

I think that could be said of any city. It's not like we were much better in the South Sound.

There's no way it ends up the Rainiers either.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So we can have the Metropolitans not in the Metropolitan division which is geographically to the east of some of the Atlantic division.

Hockey!

• Options
    Sockeyes or bust.

Specifically this concept sock puppet logo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQa-Js9ZjkVo19BgqYg7A_YLllaYQ-sh_yxJTtmrUiXwW6dghzQ

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    IMO they should have been called the Seattle Starbucks. Their logo should be a male deer with a pentagram on it's forehead.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Tonkka wrote: »

Date, not dates. Only two games against other conference teams, one home one away.

Betting markets don't like it, not even on the list at bovada. I'm partial to sockeyes! They instantly become my second favorite team regardless...

The reason Metropolitans isn’t on this list isn’t because it’s unlikely, it’s because they don’t actually own the trademark (yet), which is criteria stated in the tweet

• Options
    Good lord these hockey boys are fun to watch

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I like Steel Heads personally, but the mariners might own that trademark

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    I always though Firebirds should be the name of a team in Phoenix -- what sport it is is irrelevant.
    Of those, I would probably favor the Renegades, but really I think it ought to be the Eagles (a plane previously built by Boeing as well as the bird), or the Grinders.

I was hoping the Jets would be called the Winnipeg Phoenix when they got back.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    That Nathan McKinnon guy is a pretty good skatee

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    IMO they should have been called the Seattle Starbucks. Their logo should be a male deer with a pentagram on it's forehead.

59g5ueyqhbfn.jpg

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

59g5ueyqhbfn.jpg

Perfect.

• Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Well yet another team that gets his first stanley cup before the sharks

• Options
    Well yet another team that gets his first stanley cup before the sharks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCqUM9D6RRQ