As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL]: Can Seattle Take the Vegas Front Office in the Expansion Draft?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    This article does a pretty good job of conveying what it feels like to be a longtime Leafs fan right now. I have a feeling that Oilers fans like @vsove can relate.

https://www.nhl.com/news/fans-believing-in-maple-leafs-again/c-288028348?tid=277548856

The article mentions feeling like a 12-year-old kids again, which is perfectly accurate in my case as that's how old I was when the Leafs lost (were robbed, robbed I say!) in the conference final to the Kings.

I went into this season just hoping for incremental improvement. I didn't let myself dream of making the playoffs, I just wanted the rookies to get some experience, and maybe make a run next year, or more likely in 2018/2019. I still don't expect them to do much if they do get into the postseason, but just getting there will be great experience, and a great confidence boost for next year.

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    I love it.

The Oilers actually make the playoffs, ending the longest playoff drought in NHL history and receive less than half the words about Toronto fans feeling good about their chances.

You're a fan, I'm happy that you're happy with your team, but god does this suckshit coverage get annoying.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Angry wrote: »
    I love it.

The Oilers actually make the playoffs, ending the longest playoff drought in NHL history and receive less than half the words about Toronto fans feeling good about their chances.

You're a fan, I'm happy that you're happy with your team, but god does this suckshit coverage get annoying.

I get it, Toronto has this way of expecting the entire country to revolve around them in every aspect, not just hockey.

In this case though, while they've been longer without the playoffs (although I do my best to forget 2014 ever happened), the Oilers have at least won multiple cups during my lifetime, and came within a game of winning the cup in 2006. The Leafs haven't made the Conference Finals since their last Cup win 50 years ago.

It's not a competition though - both teams fans have suffered a lot in recent decades, and have a lot to be hopeful about now. As someone who was born in Edmonton and only switched to cheering for the Leafs in Junior High watching games with my stepdad, this has been a very emotional spring for me.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I think the worst thing the Leafs ever gave fans was hope *glares at 2014*. Hopefully they give them something better this year. If for no other reason then an all-Canadian SCF and Gary Bettman collapsing from the ensuing aneurysm.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    a Leafs-Oilers final would be my dream come true, and Gary Bettman's worst nightmare

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    live feed of the Wild this month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz69QeNwuDM

• Options
    live feed of the Wild this month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz69QeNwuDM

holy shit, I hadn't been paying much attention to the West

did Dubnyk get hurt or something?

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    no the wild always have one shitty month a year, they're timing theirs extremely poorly

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Live feed of the Penguins this month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90FR8m-zEH4

• Options
    Angry wrote: »
    I love it.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dear-oilers-fans-letter-steve-dangle/
    Dear Oilers fans,

Hi! I’m a Leafs fan.

*pauses for chorus of boos*

Yeah, I get that a lot.

Look, I just wanted to say congratulations on making the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Seriously. I mean it. No sarcasm involved, no sinister scheme, and no strings attached. I genuinely feel happy for you that, for the first time since 2006, you get to watch the Oilers play playoff hockey.

As a Leafs fan, I feel like we can really relate to each other. Fans of other teams just look at it as a "playoff drought" coming to an end.

No, no. It's much more than that.

Suffering. We get suffering. Fans of other teams understand losing but they don't quite understand suffering like we do. They don't get being a laughing stock year in and year out like we do. They don't know a brutal trade like we do. They don't get finding new and more soul-crushing ways to lose like we do.

This season, McDavid has a legitimate shot at a scoring title and winning league MVP. You could argue that Cam Talbot should be a Vezina candidate. Leon Draisaitl is having the greatest season of any German-born player in NHL history. Patrick Maroon has a legitimate shot at 30 goals, and even if he doesn't get there, he's already hit 25!

The list goes on and on but here's all that matters:

The Edmonton Oilers are going to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. And I'm happy for you guys. I really am.

I'm happy for you in the same way UFC fighters touch gloves at the start of a round before they resume punching each other senseless. It's nice to see you guys in the playoffs, but...

It would be even nicer to meet you in the playoffs.

• Options
    Yeah as and Edmontonian I don't hold any true animosity or hatred towards other teams or their fans. I'll chirp all day long though. Some top quality chirps all day boys.
    Except the Vancouver Canucks.

Yes Vancouver has a NHL hockey team. I just thought I'd remind Vancouverites of this. They sometimes forget.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    I think I'm now obligated as a citizen and hockey fan to post this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozDDYcyrCNE

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Mitch Marner clotheslined by a brutal cross-check from Mitch Marner:

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    So the Oilers are in first in the Pacific in April.

McDavid needs 6 points in the last 4 games to hit 100.

Talbot is the second Oiler goalie ever to hit 40 wins.

Current first round playoff matchups include battle of Alberta and battle of Ontario. Ottawa will probably fuck it up though because they kind of stink.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Yeah as and Edmontonian I don't hold any true animosity or hatred towards other teams or their fans. I'll chirp all day long though. Some top quality chirps all day boys.
    Except the Vancouver Canucks.

Yes Vancouver has a NHL hockey team. I just thought I'd remind Vancouverites of this. They sometimes forget.

We remember we have a team! Sometimes we remember so good we set stuff on fire!

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    Name that rookie:

itwaqwP.png
    It's Pikachu Tie Domi!

To make it even wilder, those penalty minutes were not divided remotely equally between his first two games. No no, our young rookie introduced himself to the NHL with 37 penalty minutes in his first-ever NHL game.

That was out of 272 penalty minutes handed out in that game, which I'm pretty sure means that Slap Shot was a documentary.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/03/sports/272-minutes-in-penalties-as-wings-edge-leafs.html?scp=1&sq=red+wings&st=nyt

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oh, it got mentioned in the D&D NHL thread, but unless something changes dramatically, the NHL is not going to the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.

• Options
    Three goals in 43 seconds.

I think the Leafs are hungry

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Oh, it got mentioned in the D&D NHL thread, but unless something changes dramatically, the NHL is not going to the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.

I think many of the European teams will be able to dress competent lineups because of their domestic leagues, but I wonder how Canada and the United States will be able to cope. Would they be able to use junior/college players? Will AHL/ECHL teams be raided? Will they use NHL castoffs playing in Europe? The quality of play will certainly be lessened.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    quality may be lower, but competitiveness may go up? Looks like a good year to bet on Scandinavians and Russians

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Women's hockey will still end up being Canada, USA, and other though.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Women's hockey will still end up being Canada, USA, and other though.

Was just looking this up to see if anyone was a clear cut third, yet. Apparently Finland beat Canada in prelims, and only lost to US 5-3.

That's not bad.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I have heard that's a growing problem; women's hockey is Canada, the US, and everyone else. Occasionally another country will get better for a bit, but no one has really made it a priority, and the fact that it's usually the same 2 countries battling for the win, interest is dropping off.

Don't know how true that is, but it seems bad on a few different levels if it is.

• Options
    NHL to Keep Professionals Home from Olympics, Send Vancouver Canucks Instead

CBC Comedy can really bring the savage when they try.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-shocking-decision-regarding-brad-marchand-s-suspension/?ref=seb

in what universe is that shocking? He speared a guy in the nuts hard enough to almost lift him off his feet, and then (I didn't notice this at first) circled back around and poked Dotchin in the face while he writhed on the ice.

If they'd suspended him long enough to miss a playoff game I'd have been surprised, but I wouldn't disagree. Suspending him for the last two regular season games when his team has already clinched? Whatever.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    To be fair, Marchand was just trying to emulate Crosby.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Us Dartmouth boys are not to be messed with.

• Options
    To be fair, Marchand has only been suspended 6 other times

• Options
    Unfortunately with Ottawa's injuries it probably won't be enough to drop Boston into the wildcard/sacrifice them to Washington

• Options
    Hi5 on the new thread title

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Of COURSE Frederick Andersen got hit in the head

Why would you hit another team's goalie two games before the playoffs in a game that means literally nothing to your team's spot in the standings

Sullivan should probably keep Sestito on the bench for the last few minutes of the game

Edit: never mind, winning is the best revenge and THE LEAFS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS

Just need to get at least a point against Columbus tomorrow so they can face Ottawa instead of Washington

Further edit: Freddy's okay! http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/babcock-andersen-will-play-tomorrow/

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Sestito should never play again.

He's everything wrong with hockey.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Agreed

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I thought it was an error when I read that this is the first ever playoff series between (new) Ottawa and Boston, but it's true. Strange but true.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    NHL Bracket Challenge is working now. League Name: Penny Arcade Password: Wang

• Options
    I was going to just pick the opposite of who SAP has declared has the 'statistical advantage' because lol SAP. But then I ended up with a Sens vs Flames cup, and I'm also pretty sure that isn't going to happen.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    OK, so I'm a Bruins fan. I'm kind of a hockey fan. I'm not rabid, I've only been watching with any real attention since ... hmm, 2010? That said, the Marchand hit looked to me to be unintentional. By "unintentional," I mean that it didn't look like he tried to stab him in the sack. It looked just like any other "you giving me shit? Here, let me give you shit, too" jabbing that you see in almost any game. It seemed like he got extremely unlucky with where his no-look stupidity landed.

Does it suck that he ended his season at 39 goals? Sure fucking does. Does it suck that he made it very likely we would play the Caps by his absence? Yep. We got lucky. Did he deserve to get suspended for what (to the best of my knowledge) had never been a suspendable action prior to this?

Fuck yes, he did. Learn from your fucking mistakes, Brad. Be the great player that you obviously can be, in more than just points.

Meanwhile, without Krug, I doubt we make it more than 6 games into the playoffs. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, and I'm thrilled we dodged Washington, but I'm not hopeful.

• Options
    Yeah, that's the thing about Marchand, he is legitimately a top-tier goal scorer now, he needs to put that pest bullshit on he back burner because he is too valuable to his team to take dumb suspensions.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Look at that. Marchand won the game got the game-winning goal last night. (Tuuka won that shit.)

• Options
    Is Tuuka Rask good again?