As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Mists of Pandaria: Patch 5.4 Free epics ! By the way, we have a new Warchief.

• Options
    EnialisEnialis Registered User regular
    Note sure Mage is the best comparison, we've got too many ways to cheese movement based mechanics :)

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Dibby wrote: »
    In general, could there be improvements that make the Melee life easier? Sure. How they'd do that, I have no idea, but they have recognized it and talked about it. Maybe we'll see something next expac?

IMO:

Less fights that absolutely require stuff getting hit/soaked away from the boss (looking at you here, Garrosh, Nazgrim, Blackfuse, and Malkorak)

Less fights that require the boss occasionally turned towards melee so parries aren't as much of a problem (hey look, it's Garrosh and Malkorak again!)

Less fights that have some kind of ugly AOE effect that works really well on clumped up players (Dark Shaman when you can't 3 tank it comes to mind as an example here, Nazgrim can also fit here with heroic shockwave and ravager. Oondasta previously was a really good example of this.)

EDIT: adding on to this: Garrosh also brings us a variation of the above where he does an AOE that forces melee to get out of range. On top of this, there are no adds during the AOE they can attack while waiting for him to finish. It's not fun to have to sit here and do nothing while everyone else has a roll to play.

Actually I think SoO is not as bad for melee as prior tiers (ToT was much worse), it's primarily the bosses I listed above that highlight our major problems (though I'll state I have no love for Thok as melee. Phase 2 aside, tail whip during phase 1's and the ground fires during the yaungol phase blow).

Nobody on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Papagander wrote: »
    Sen'Jin is fine as a server. Speaking as someone who only (finally!!!!!) recently got Arcturus on his hunter, Sen'Jin is almost f'ing overcrowded with that cross-realm crap already. I never have any problems getting celestial kills on all my 7 90 alts either, especially if I'm able to play on Tuesday. But I see groups forming for them all the rest of the week too. I only raid LFR-wise, so maybe the guilds are dead and all, but that seems more epidemic of WOW in general now. You're either in a super group like "Strength in Numbers" whose only point is to have all the peeps in it, or like me you're hanging on to a dead family/friends guild and just use LFR or Dungeon Finder to get anything done.

Also, yes to Melee getting screwed. On Timeless and in raids. The skill level curves between ranged and melee are just unfair. I don't know how to fix things, because melee will always have movement to hamper its rotations and lower its overall numbers, but mechanics just seem to punish melee more in general. I feel next to useless 50% of the fight with Thok on my Ret pally, for instance. Especially if the add tank is slow to use the key. Also, a prime example of the inequalities on Timeless are the rock elementals. A pet class like lock or hunter can set his pet on the rock dudes, walk behind the mob, and none of the dangerous mechanics proc. I've done this consistently on my hunter--send in my pet, walk behind and the rock guys stop stomping, and there are no boulders unless some unlucky and unaggroed PC walks in front (which is hilarious lol, but also not fair). Same damn thing happens on the white tigers. You send in your pet and they stop all their special mechanics. No pounce or anything. Now, my Ret Pally is 528 so I dont generally have problems killing nearly anything on Timeless (except Cinder, because, F'that) but its a slap in the face that I still have to mitigate those special attacks and the ranged with pets can bypass. So not only do they have an easier time not have to chase crap down, but often they can ignore what actually makes those fights difficult.

Final gripe: stupid f'ing cinderfall. My ilvl 520 hunter can solo him, but my Ret Pally has to call out for a hunter tank and then sit back, pop my Avenger's Wrath and lob judgments and Hammers at the dude hoping the pet keeps him turned away or even the long line of damage could one shot me. And it isnt that I don't move. Like @Halfmex said, if your connection lags even a little (and mine always does since Sen'Jin TI never has less than a few hundred people out there any time of day) then you can move out of the damage box and still die to the animation. It's not fun.

So, the thing about Thok, where you feel useless for 50% of the fight as melee... I mean, Ranged have that too. It's called Phase 1. Melee are amazing at Phase 1, since they're not prone to the interrupt/silence, but not so great at Phase 2. It's the opposite for Ranged; they're useless in Phase 1 with all the interrupts/silences going off, but they can actually follow/hit the boss in Phase 2.... unless they're being chased. Thok is actually more of a melee-friendly fight than you might think.

There are a ton of melee-punitive mobs out in the world, though. Like yeah, Timeless Isle is a prime example. Constantly having to dance in and out of bullshit on the ground when ranged can just sit back and pew pew away. Challenge Modes, too. Especially CMs, jeez. Things are prone to one-hitting you in CMs, and there's a LOT of melee-unfriendly bullshit in there. Gate of the Setting Sun sends its warm regards.

For the most part though, in Raiding, you just have to play Melee with more finesse. Siege doesn't have a lot of melee-unfriendly fights, honestly. Immerseus kinda sucks with all the running around when Ranged can much more easily kill the adds, and Dark Shaman can be pretty awful if your tanks aren't good with placing the bullshit out of reach... but aside from those two, everything else is kind of fine, I think.

In general, could there be improvements that make the Melee life easier? Sure. How they'd do that, I have no idea, but they have recognized it and talked about it. Maybe we'll see something next expac?

As a mage, Thok can go suck a flaming cock. I can maybe cast a single frostbolt if he's above 5 stacks (due to my Australian Disadvantage, it might not work) and god forbid my Invoker's falls off.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Do you guys have no paladins for Thok?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nope!

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Just did LFR Garrosh today, which was a clusterfuck of epic proportions to the point I'm betting he gets super nerfed on Tuesday. A fight with mechanics you can fail regardless of Determination stacks is exactly the fight that shouldn't exist in LFR.

Also, it's hilarious that Blizz misspelled Mannoroth's server name in the merging announcement. I've been doing a search on "Manno" on every merging announcement and almost missed it due to that.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I'll say this, nothing shows you the blantant 'Fuck You' the developers give to the melee classes in this game more than the creatures on the Timeless Isle. So many of them are pretty much "if you're in range, you're dead, but if you have a pet: here! Free loot!". Cinderfall, most of the Ordon tribe, Evermaw, Huolon, the list goes fucking on. It's a minor gripe in the grand scheme of the overall success of the Isle, but I just wish they'd have balanced the damage on these guys better.

Someone who plays a hunter or a lock will have to tell me otherwise, but the classes with pets seem to have a very easy time when it comes to doing anything out in the world (of warcraft). I'm not saying it's hard (especially if you just gives yourself all 3 buffs), you just have to pay attention when it comes to Timeless Isle mobs, but the pets seem to allow both those classes to ignore entirely any and all mechanics.

Are hunters going to see another class review for the next expansion? The removal of the dead zone seems to allow them to stand at whatever range they like and suffer nothing for it.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Opty wrote: »
    Just did LFR Garrosh today, which was a clusterfuck of epic proportions to the point I'm betting he gets super nerfed on Tuesday. A fight with mechanics you can fail regardless of Determination stacks is exactly the fight that shouldn't exist in LFR.

Also, it's hilarious that Blizz misspelled Mannoroth's server name in the merging announcement. I've been doing a search on "Manno" on every merging announcement and almost missed it due to that.

The mechanics aren't even that hard. On normal, it's a hard fight because everything has so much health that you can barely finish them all of in time for the next set of adds/MCs. On LFR, they have so little health that the mechanic is the only part you actually have to be able to do, damage doesn't factor in at all.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    'Lock and Hunter have always been the preferred solo classes.

On my 535 hunter main, I've solo'd all the mobs on the island except the High Priest (and since I play on Thrall, there is no way I'll solo rares, the island is way to crowded for that). On Thrall, rares have about a 45 second life span, minus maybe Evermaw and Cinderfall.

The only reason I haven't solo'd the high priest yet is because it is a pain to even get to him.

• Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

I actually have yet to see an LFR group get a stack of determination on that fight. They just wipe too fast.

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    I doubt garrosh will be nerfed in lfr again. His trash was nerfed once and he was nerfed once already. I want to play more classes but I'm not sure. I have one healer, a holy priest, and I'm happy with that I don't need more healers. I have one tank, a prot warrior, and I don't want to tank more. I've got a destruction warlock but most other DPS classes bore me. Mages are way too freaking simple as well as a lot of other classes, I like complicated rotations. I wish Blizzard would redesign some classes like rogues/mages/elemental shaman to have more complicated rotations it's more fun that way IMO.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    One of my 'favorite' fucked up isle enemies are the cursed swabbies.

If you have any type of 'pet' (including void tendrils and things like that) it completely bugs them out; they won't use any special aside from depth charge, which they can't actually drop on 'pets', so they just constantly spam it to no effect, allowing you to just murder the shit out of them.

But if you don't have anything like that? Constant 200k special attacks and 80k melee and depth charges on your face non stop.

Good times. Good times.
    And you have to kill 20 of them before one drops a key. And it's all clumsy underwater fighting. Everything about getting that chest is just trash.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Sen'Jin is fine as a server. Speaking as someone who only (finally!!!!!) recently got Arcturus on his hunter, Sen'Jin is almost f'ing overcrowded with that cross-realm crap already. I never have any problems getting celestial kills on all my 7 90 alts either, especially if I'm able to play on Tuesday. But I see groups forming for them all the rest of the week too. I only raid LFR-wise, so maybe the guilds are dead and all, but that seems more epidemic of WOW in general now. You're either in a super group like "Strength in Numbers" whose only point is to have all the peeps in it, or like me you're hanging on to a dead family/friends guild and just use LFR or Dungeon Finder to get anything done.

Also, yes to Melee getting screwed. On Timeless and in raids. The skill level curves between ranged and melee are just unfair. I don't know how to fix things, because melee will always have movement to hamper its rotations and lower its overall numbers, but mechanics just seem to punish melee more in general. I feel next to useless 50% of the fight with Thok on my Ret pally, for instance. Especially if the add tank is slow to use the key. Also, a prime example of the inequalities on Timeless are the rock elementals. A pet class like lock or hunter can set his pet on the rock dudes, walk behind the mob, and none of the dangerous mechanics proc. I've done this consistently on my hunter--send in my pet, walk behind and the rock guys stop stomping, and there are no boulders unless some unlucky and unaggroed PC walks in front (which is hilarious lol, but also not fair). Same damn thing happens on the white tigers. You send in your pet and they stop all their special mechanics. No pounce or anything. Now, my Ret Pally is 528 so I dont generally have problems killing nearly anything on Timeless (except Cinder, because, F'that) but its a slap in the face that I still have to mitigate those special attacks and the ranged with pets can bypass. So not only do they have an easier time not have to chase crap down, but often they can ignore what actually makes those fights difficult.

Final gripe: stupid f'ing cinderfall. My ilvl 520 hunter can solo him, but my Ret Pally has to call out for a hunter tank and then sit back, pop my Avenger's Wrath and lob judgments and Hammers at the dude hoping the pet keeps him turned away or even the long line of damage could one shot me. And it isnt that I don't move. Like @Halfmex said, if your connection lags even a little (and mine always does since Sen'Jin TI never has less than a few hundred people out there any time of day) then you can move out of the damage box and still die to the animation. It's not fun.

So, the thing about Thok, where you feel useless for 50% of the fight as melee... I mean, Ranged have that too. It's called Phase 1. Melee are amazing at Phase 1, since they're not prone to the interrupt/silence, but not so great at Phase 2. It's the opposite for Ranged; they're useless in Phase 1 with all the interrupts/silences going off, but they can actually follow/hit the boss in Phase 2.... unless they're being chased. Thok is actually more of a melee-friendly fight than you might think.
    Edit: How many interrupts are there during phase 1?

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    forty wrote: »

It starts out slow, but by about 6 stacks there's an interrupt going off every 2 or 3 seconds. It's not pretty. Next time you do it, watch his energy and cast bars. When the energy hits full, he does the ~2s cast of his interrupt and the energy bar starts to fill faster and faster. Eventually he just chain casts it.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    I've only healed the last two wings of SoO LFR, which means I don't really know what's going on during the fights other than that health bars go down and I try to move out of some AoEs.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness, angry Wratheon at the end of the legendary quest is so cute. Especially when he's angry in drake form.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »

It starts out slow, but by about 6 stacks there's an interrupt going off every 2 or 3 seconds. It's not pretty. Next time you do it, watch his energy and cast bars. When the energy hits full, he does the ~2s cast of his interrupt and the energy bar starts to fill faster and faster. Eventually he just chain casts it.
    I see. I'm not sure if that happens on LFR or not. When I'm healing the fight, I've just been watching the DBM timer for the roar. I didn't know it was tied to his energy.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    One of my 'favorite' fucked up isle enemies are the cursed swabbies.

If you have any type of 'pet' (including void tendrils and things like that) it completely bugs them out; they won't use any special aside from depth charge, which they can't actually drop on 'pets', so they just constantly spam it to no effect, allowing you to just murder the shit out of them.

But if you don't have anything like that? Constant 200k special attacks and 80k melee and depth charges on your face non stop.

Good times. Good times.
    And you have to kill 20 of them before one drops a key. And it's all clumsy underwater fighting. Everything about getting that chest is just trash.

I don't even bother getting that chest anymore, the last two times I got it I got more coins from farming the trash for the key than the chest itself (36 and 28 coins respectively).
    sumwar wrote: »
    I doubt garrosh will be nerfed in lfr again. His trash was nerfed once and he was nerfed once already. I want to play more classes but I'm not sure. I have one healer, a holy priest, and I'm happy with that I don't need more healers. I have one tank, a prot warrior, and I don't want to tank more. I've got a destruction warlock but most other DPS classes bore me. Mages are way too freaking simple as well as a lot of other classes, I like complicated rotations. I wish Blizzard would redesign some classes like rogues/mages/elemental shaman to have more complicated rotations it's more fun that way IMO.

All Blizz has done is numbers nerfs, which is worthless for the fight unless they make the adds have low enough HP that they could be soloed by a dps. The main problem LFR Garrosh has is the first phase is the hardest mechanically and nothing is self explanatory. The main crux is that the wheel mechanic for killing the adds is counterintuitive to the average tank--even though they had to do something similar in the seigecrafter fight two fights ago--such that our tanks were still running out of the way of the wheel by habit until the 5th stack or so (which probably not coincidentally was the first time we made it to phase 2).

• Options
    They really need to add something else to do with Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. I have over 1,400 now.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Poopsocked my way 20 to 80 this weekend on my shammy reroll. Figure I'll just slowly quest my way through the next 10 levels and accumulate some cash. I'd just spam dungeons but sweet baby jesus I forgot how bad the groups can be with new people transitioning into Cata from WOTLK iLVLs (without gearing up first).

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Hallow's End really put a spotlight on how much I fucking hate CRZ.

Just landed off a flightpoint time to click the Candy Bucket and...oh, everything despawned and it's shifting me to another server so it can spawn it back.

I'll just run outside Stormwind real quick to get the XP/Rep buff on this alt...and wait ten seconds for the Hallow's End stuff to actually appear since it has to shift me to a different server when I step outside the gates (and why the hell is the Horde version now inside one of their cities but the Alliance one isn't?).

Just landed off a flightpoint, time to instant mount my broom and--nothing happened. Okay, now I've phased into a different server and so now it will work.

Sweet, we just finished the "Stop the Fire!" daily so I'll switch to an alt who logged out in the inn so I can get the reward without having to deal with the fresh hell that is that daily again...wait no, for some reason my alt logged into a different server where it wasn't completed.

The guildmaster's kid is fairly low level but wants to do the trick or treating, so I offer to help out by flying them around with my Sandstone Drake so they can get them all. Unfortunately, when I made the offer I'd forgotten about the passenger dismount bug with CRZ that apparently still isn't fixed. So that was a bunch of fun.

Basically, the world outside of Pandaria sucks. Having mostly stayed inside Pandaria lately made me forget some of that.

Yeah, it's mostly little annoyances. A few seconds here, a few seconds there. But it adds up, and I played for years without having to deal with this crap. It's basically poking me in the eye every time I go to a new zone. Considering I'm seeing absolutely zero benefit to CRZ (even the "Stop the Fires!" daily isn't easier since there is still nobody except in Elwyn/Durotar and those are now populated by even more brain-dead dueling silly geese who don't help at all) I'm pretty much fed up with putting up with it. Especially since now they're finally doing server mergers anyways (in all but name).

Midsummer probably would have also inflamed my CRZ hatred, but I was still unsubscribed when that was going on, so I missed it.

• Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular

For one, they could let us turn off friendly offensive spell effects. There are many times in 25m that it is literally impossible to see if you are in melee range, you have to stare at your skill bar to see if you are actually able to attack, half the time you're nowhere near the boss and you can't see your own character.

I find it funny that there is still any debate on whether ranged has an advantage in raids, it's laughable. I run simultaneous lfr on my rogue and hunter (equally geared) and "night and day" doesn't even come close to describing the amount of effort to achieve the same results from melee to ranged.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So, yesterday night my guild got Galakras down in a single attempt after wiping multiple times on Saturday. We then proceeded to 1 shot Iron Juggernaut, Dark Shamans, and Nazgrim and got Malakras to 8% on our third attempt. We called the raid because it was getting late and people were starting to get sloppy due to tiredness, but it looks like we'll be getting to spoils or Thok next week if everyone shows up. Big morale boost, after being stuck at Galakras for quite some time, mostly due to attendance and raid composition issues.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    honestly at this point in where the game is I feel like the whole melee/ranged thing is kind of a dead horse

like, if you realized melee is a pain in the dick, do what I did and stop playing them! There seem to be a lot of other people that like playing them, so

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    I agree the argument itself is a dead horse, there's really no way to challenge it with any legitimacy.

But I think the point is there are still people who enjoy playing melee, despite the pain. Timeless isle mechanics were just another kneecap to a sensitive area especially. I hesitate to fight Cinderfall on my ret pally, even if a group is tackling him. I'm just not sure I want to play with the chance that sitting at judgment maximum range is gonna be enough to keep me safe as all the ranged kill him. But hells yeah I'll solo him on my hunter. I'll even solo him on my mage if I have the crane blessing up.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Well that was certainly odd. Log into my server, 2 mins later it crashes. I haven't seen a server crash in years.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Like "World Sever Down" server crash?

Edit: Or grayed out in server list?

Edit 2: Either way, I've seen both in the last few months.

forty on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So after some experimenting, discovered it looks like I can solo ICC 25 entirely except Festergut, Gunship, and maybe BQL and Dreamwalker.

Which makes farming my shards a tad more interesting.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    On a whim, my guild decided to try Heroic Nazgrim tonight. 10 pulls later and he's dead. Hah, didn't expect him to be so easy. Really would've tried gunning for him earlier had I known. Ah well, that's 8/14H now, whoo.

Also, got the Agi Cleave trinket tonight and Tier Legs (finally). Only one more tier piece til my 4p!

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah I remember the night we killed shamans, there were something like four other western guilds who had killed shamans but not nazgrim (and one of them was a guild on our server that downed shamans the same night we did.)

snipers suck though

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What I dislike about the CRZ if you are double boxing and flying both of them around on a mount you have to hug the ground between zones or the one riding gets dumped
    I really would haul around my alts for that fat free EXP but that alone makes it a POS

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Yay, Cyclone and Reckoning battlegroups crashed right in the middle of the last fight I needed for the SoO achievement!

Guess I won't be finishing up my legendary farming either. I really need to start doing that earlier in the week...

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What I dislike about the CRZ if you are double boxing and flying both of them around on a mount you have to hug the ground between zones or the one riding gets dumped
    I really would haul around my alts for that fat free EXP but that alone makes it a POS

I haven't tried lately, but I swear that was fixed. I definitely remember seeing a note about that in a patch or something.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I would go look but as Smasher pointed out Reckoning went down so I thought I might create an alt for when Windrunner is connected and DUH

So I am debating about playing pokemon but if I get Male Fenkin I would have to sit on it until I got another 3ds

• Options
    leveling takes so long, ugh

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    also what level can you train azeroth flying these days? Is it 60 now, or do you have to wait for 70?

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular

• Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    On a whim, my guild decided to try Heroic Nazgrim tonight. 10 pulls later and he's dead. Hah, didn't expect him to be so easy. Really would've tried gunning for him earlier had I known. Ah well, that's 8/14H now, whoo.
    Also, got the Agi Cleave trinket tonight and Tier Legs (finally). Only one more tier piece til my 4p!

This makes me really annoyed my guild has yet to kill normal Garrosh. Been trying about 10hrs of attempts so far, and don't even know how close we are. Since the ranged quite often let MCs thru, and the Empowered MCs can't even be stunned... We've gotten him to 10% Phase3 and forced the final form twice, but both times they fucked up the MCs horribly.

I have 4pc on my main set, 3pc of OS, and 2 more tokens on top of that for WW I don't even have as a spec...

JediNight on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Houlon's mount dropped for me yesterday on an alt. The alt can't use it, but hooray.

This is the first time I've seen a slightly rare mount (not the twilight drake that auto dropped for Sarth) drop ever in WoW. So, pretty happy.

• Options
    JediNight wrote: »

This makes me really annoyed my guild has yet to kill normal Garrosh. Been trying about 10hrs of attempts so far, and don't even know how close we are. Since the ranged quite often let MCs thru, and the Empowered MCs can't even be stunned... We've gotten him to 10% Phase3 and forced the final form twice, but both times they fucked up the MCs horribly.

I have 4pc on my main set, 3pc of OS, and 2 more tokens on top of that for WW I don't even have as a spec...

The MCs in P3 really are a bitch and a half. People just spread out for god know what reason and then all get MC'd when the interrupts are out of range.

This discussion has been closed.