As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Enrichment] Character Construction

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
Character Construction
>>Enrichment Directory<<
a33gjeedo1td.png

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/search/label/construction

Character Construction

I have said that being able to render something as basic as a sphere is the first step to really leaning how to draw. From Simple shapes, to still lives, we have studied the ground work for being able to make things from imagination. Character construction is about consistency and volume. Using your knowledge of how to make a shape seem real, you then apply that knowledge to build a character as if out of blocks. Characters may be flexible and squishy, muscles may have rule sets for how they contract and extend, but when it comes down to it, if you cant make a block on top of a cylinder, you are going to have a very hard time.

You may choose to work on one, or all of the following:

Golden Age Cartoon Studies Bugs bunny has more bones than you think, and is harder to draw on model than you think. Challenge yourself to work from the bottom up, and put the character together based on you knowledge of shape and volume rather than trying to copy the flat picture

Your own Character model sheets Do you know what the standards are for your own characters are? This is important for any comic artist and animator, but is also good practice for concept artists who need to make turn arounds for 3D work. Create notations that will help you be consistent in the future.

Find the structure in a master copy Paint studies and draw over master paintings and find the basic shapes with in. Inform yourself of the volume happening by drawing grids over the form. Be studious and attentive to detail, and really work to gather as much knowledge from this activity as possible. old and new masters are fine for this, whatever interests you the most.

Inspiration and Resources

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/search/label/construction

http://pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

http://pinterest.com/pin/564638872002152796/

Iruka on

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2013
    About Monthly Enrichment:
    Enrichment activities aim to encourage you to tackle a small but useful assignment every month. They are either multifaceted, or loosely defined, giving you the option to mold it to help you reach previously held aspirations. They will mostly be assignments that you can fulfill in whatever media, and commit whatever time you feel benefits you.

What Do I Gain From Participating?
    If I'm at all qualified, I will try to provide crits and support to the people who participate. I hope that people in the thread also engage in a little more cross talk when they are working on the same assignment. I will do my best to not let anyone's work go un-commented upon. I will also try and load the OP with resources for everyone to draw from on the topic at hand.

May I post an old work if it fits into the topic?
    You may post work that you are currently working on, or plan to revisit during the month. Don't post old work if you have no intention of touching it. If I spend time commenting on year old work and then you never do anything to it within the activity, I will shun you.

May I post inspiration and links even if I'm not going to really participate?
    So long as this aspect doesn't get in the way of people posting work for actual crits, this is a great place to just throw up some art that is related to the topic and you think its helpful. Link the source, and spoiler images so they don't detract from people working on assignments.

May I suggest a topic?
    Sure! If a bunch of people have something they want to work on, I'm happy to make that the next assignment. Just try and keep it something that all artists can do (like color studies) and not something that requires materials that are inaccessible to a large percentage of members (like ceramics, or metalwork) If there is something that members would like to do and it has a fairly low material buy in, like sculpey maquettes, I'm cool with that too.

Deadlines
    I will pretty much rotate these out monthly without exception. Perhaps if there is a popular one I will let it run for two months.

Previous Threads:
    JAN-BrandYourself
    FEB-Simple Shapes
    MAR-Show Your Work
    APR-Color Studies
    May-Hands and Feet
    JUN-Still Life
    JUL-Character Construction
    AUG- (off month)
    SEP- Perspective and Environments
    OCT- Thumbnails and Silhouettes
    NOV - NatCoWriMo
    DEC - Secret Santa.

JAN- Resolution

Iruka on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    WOOT! will do!

• franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    Those reference links are superb.
    I don't know why cartooning is so fantastic to me.

I kept going with my hipster Dave.
    null_zps0b18bf3c.jpg

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    that dude is madd bulky for a hipster, but he does sort of read like a bulky short haired Brent Sienna.
    HMM.

• franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    that dude is madd bulky for a hipster, but he does sort of read like a bulky short haired Brent Sienna.
    HMM.

He works out to be ironic.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    francium wrote: »
    HMM.

He works out to be ironic.

not enough Sailor Jerry tattoos or weird inappropriate mustache
    also where is his messenger bag and his bicycle
    now I'm just messing with you, sorry.
    but not THAT sorry.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    i agree with the mustache, possibly a monocle

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Tried analysing a couple of Bernini statues

ZuTuEpJ.gif

GS8l0gT.gif

I didn't learn much from the first one other than the curves that wrap around a form are generally perpendicular to the form, which should have been obvious but it's not something I think about when I'm drawing. The second was much more educational, I really had to struggle with identifying where the sides of the large masses were.

very nice, flay. Perhaps you should take what you learned and try to build some things from imagination.

I wish I had more time for life drawing, this would be great to do with a live model, or even just with a statute.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Will do. I've been working some imagined figures in to my study routine but they're still pretty shitty.

bugs.png

1 bugs from ref, and then three imagined bunnys who are clearly not bugs. Working on an goofy based on this sheet:
    http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/4525/2278/1600/115939/veg12-big.jpg

Its better practice than I remembered, Drawing those characters on model is deceptively difficult. Its very easy to make a "sorta goofy" and not really nail the style.

starting my first roughs. Gonna do a breakdown of a new version of my daughter. I would like to keep her much more consistant when I draw her and I hope she will think it is cool when she gets older.

first round of the head:

OOmLoFg.jpg

• seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    [img][/img]Rw3p09o.jpg

I tend to draw my designs straight without a lot of shape underlying. But it's all about what works for you. I've also done some character designs which were to be created in 3D. So, it's always interesting to take something you've done and imagine it in 360 degrees. Things don't always work from a different perspective.

edited July 2013
    @brokecracker It may be easier for you if you set it up in the classic vertical strip, so you can really see where the features should be,
    like this
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DLqOGDNPGOM/S98MLpbZoMI/AAAAAAAAAIY/89D0ol0ze4g/s1600/turnaround_marcus.jpg

I like it though, is seems more consistent than your strips.

@seegru the enrichment itself helps for people who either have trouble with keeping charaters on model, or in general have trouble understanding interpreting volume when making up characters or trying to draw from 2D reference. Once you have a sense for those principals, you can certainly break them (if your cartooning is the type that needs to). Generally people who already have volume deeply ingrained are drawing with invisible guidelines in their head, but it helps to occasionally draw them out, and make sure your perception is correct.

I'm not really saying this directly at you, but I like to direct our new members/more beginner members to our enrichment threads. So often these basic exercises are glossed over when people feel competent in one way or another, but its more worthwhile to just see if there's a hole in your knowledge and give it a genuine try in a way you think will challenge you. Thinking things like "I'm just going to do whats right for me" can be really dangerous for new artists who still need to push way outside their comfort zone to gain the skills they need to push forward.

Edit: also I rounded out this page:
    bugsandnot.png

Iruka on
  • JudasJudas Registered User regular
    IMG_20130711_164719_422.jpg
    IMG_20130711_164727_734.jpg
    IMG_20130711_164739_808.jpg

Based the character off my girlfriend's ferret, Lolla. Being a ferret, I don't imagine her standing still from panel to panel, ever.

Question - with a character whose midsection/body is slinky and serpentine, what do you do to maintain a consistent shape?

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Bunch of different Looney Tunes studies.

9266910522_6ab9c41fca_z.jpg

9266988720_4820fae246_z.jpg

Wil E. Coyote is just the best thing to draw.

9266992458_aaf292217a_z.jpg

• beckerskullsbeckerskulls Registered User regular
    A little guy I've been working on. Looking at them now, it seems like I definitely need to push myself farther with the whole volume thing.
    badger-rough1.jpgbadger-rough2.jpgbadger-rough3.jpgbadger-rough4.jpgbadger-rough7.jpgbadger-rough8.jpgbadger-rough9.jpg
    Also, would someone explain to me how to use spoilers? I'm a little lost... :oops: Thanks!

• McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    @beckerskulls click the spoiler button, then put the info you want inside the brackets so it will look like this

[spoiIer] <your thing here> [/spoiIer]

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Flay commanded me to post this in this thread:

I had a bunch of backup files that were saved at various stages in the process of that little illustration, so I figured I'd plonk down a little thingy about it.
    pr1.jpg~original
    Thumbnail! The basic camera position, action, and composition are figured out here for the most part.

pro2.jpg~original
    Construction! This is the first construction pass for the characters. Little me is mostly done with sketchy balls and cylinders. At this point, I'm still figuring my Kochioid out. The houses were done with with 3-point perspective. The wagon was a loose little box at first. Later on, I grabbed a model from Google Sketchup to look at and help me figure out a proper angle for it on the curved ground plane.

pro3.jpg~original
    Second Construction pass! The image is flipped to give a fresh view of what is going on. Kochioid is getting properly sussed out. My body gets a little attention. I used the Transform Warp tool to adjust the houses a little bit so they'd look more like they were conforming to the roundness of the ground plane.

pro4.jpg~original
    Final Linework! Tighten up the lines on me, Kochioid and the wagon. I also put some alpha masks on them, so that I can paint them cleanly and easily. I want the environment to be a little more loose and painterly, so I don't bother with final linework on all that.

pro5.jpg~original
    Colour Rough! I should probably have thought more about my colours earlier on in the process, like just after the thumbnail stage. If you do that, you can properly sort out lighting schemes, and how the colours are going to impact how the eye moves around your composition. Colours are something that I don't really excel at, so I usually put them off and then take a long time to just noodle and grumble. Sometimes things come out okay.
    It's not the best way to approach things.

pro6.jpg~original
    Quick Rubbish Little Lighting Maquette! I was having a little trouble figuring out how the light was going to hit some of these forms, particularly on my Kochioid. So, I decided to learn how to use Blender a little bit and futz around in it. It's not a very attractive model, but it helped to inform how the light was going to hit some of the basic shapes in the illustration.

pro7.jpg~original
    Painting! Here I usually jump all around the place, noodling on random areas. At this point, I'm also thinking about having some light hit a part of the foliage in the back to sort of halo the head of the Kochioid and maybe draw more attention to it. I eventually decide that would be silly and unnecessary. Also, it might steal attention away from ME.

pro8.jpg~original
    More Painting! It is flipped and noodling continues. With the exception of the foliage and the two characters in the background, everything is pretty much worked out.

bffcrossing.jpg~original

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I plan on starting a cartoon panel. I have the first head created for the first character. I'm late to this, but it sounds like what I'm doing? creating my characters that I will than use over and over for my panel? I am using adobe Illustrator, so all computer stuff. Does this sound like what you guys are doing here for this month? If I'm in the wrong place, sorry to bother.
    Forumer Fred:
    Forumer%20Fred.jpg?psid=1

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    @DyasAlure
    It's about constructing a character using 3 dimensional geometric shapes as a guide. What you've done isn't exactly a construction exercise, but it could become just that.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    no worries. I wasn't sure. sorry to bother the thread.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    Charlie the construction crocodile chap
    eq6gaSr.png

I'm not really where I want to be with the lucy stuff and still need to sit down and try to get a better one, but thought I would share some of the process:

Gztnjjw.jpg

Dude, honestly I think you should drop the heavy lineweight on her jaw. It makes her look like an amish dude (I'm looking at you "confused"!)

HAHAHA Now I can't unsee it! How's this:

ADBqAG1.jpg

• transatlanticalientransatlanticalien Registered User regular
    The sad expression reads more 'neutral' to me... pushing the slant of the glasses and introducing a bit of a furrowed brow could help, a little like this, maybe:
    e8x.png
    Since you're not really drawing eyes as such, really pushing and stretching and squashing the glasses frames would work wonders in conveying expression! And if there's anything kids are, it's expressive

(Also I think it's so awesome you draw your daughter and put her in your comics and wwuuhhguh i have something in my eye excuse me)

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    This is sort of constructiony and is something that I am noodling away with here and there.

Ideally, I'll have a nice clean low-poly model all sorted out so I can include it in some quick 3D maquettes to use for future illustrations featuring the character.

modelweb.jpg~original
    With fresh eyes, I see that the angle of his fancy ruff in the front view doesn't quite match up with the other two. Also, his belt across the front doesn't really curve enough to be consistent with the belt in the side-view.

purrmesh.jpg~original
    Early stages of the base mesh. Modelling is something I'm very new at. It is scary, but exciting. Modelling hands is extra scary.

• miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    This is sort of constructiony and is something that I am noodling away with here and there.

Ideally, I'll have a nice clean low-poly model all sorted out so I can include it in some quick 3D maquettes to use for future illustrations featuring the character.

modelweb.jpg~original
    With fresh eyes, I see that the angle of his fancy ruff in the front view doesn't quite match up with the other two. Also, his belt across the front doesn't really curve enough to be consistent with the belt in the side-view.

purrmesh.jpg~original
    Early stages of the base mesh. Modelling is something I'm very new at. It is scary, but exciting. Modelling hands is extra scary.

This reminds me of the artwork style in Final Fantasy 9 I love it : D

• MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    Inspired by Flay's submission I also tried my hand at some statues.

freemanstatue.gif

msustatue.gif