As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox Live Thread] - go to the new thread!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Is there no back button available when playing 360 games?

That kills a lot of use for Super Meat Boy

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I don't really mind B taking me back through what I've opened, if I want to back out of everything and go back to the homepage, that's what the XBOX button is for. I will agree that the interface could be a lot more intuitive. I had the same problem just last week when I was trying to redeem a code alongside battlefront, and also had to ask here just to find it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Redeem code is always going to be hard to find, especially if it's a new ui for you, because it will always have a low priority since you're not going to be using it as much as other functions

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Redeem code is always going to be hard to find, especially if it's a new ui for you, because it will always have a low priority since you're not going to be using it as much as other functions

It really shouldn't be though, especially when you've made digitalizing your console a priority. A section on the games page makes perfect since (it's really where it should be). Offering it as a option on the page for whatever your trying to redeem makes since. Burying it on the "browse all games" page does not. I'm not saying it should be on the main page of the console or anything, but burying in a random place is not intuitive.

• Options
    Okay another question

Easy way to take a snapshot?

And not double tapping the Guide button, because in Tomb Raider for example, that brings up the pause screen as well, and I don't want the pause screen there, I just want a screen cap of my game as is

Please let that be something you're able to do

• Options
    edited November 2015
    in most games it should take a screenshot of what you were looking at and not the pause screen, despite the pause screen coming up. Thats how it works with Fallout 4 anyway. Take a screenshot using the double tap then Y thing and check your clips and images and it should have the screenshot without the menu or pause screen (at least thats how it should work, I think its up to the developer to make sure it does, tho im not 100%)

Prohass on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Okay another question

Easy way to take a snapshot?

And not double tapping the Guide button, because in Tomb Raider for example, that brings up the pause screen as well, and I don't want the pause screen there, I just want a screen cap of my game as is

Please let that be something you're able to do

Not sure why it'd force you into the pause menu as no game I've played so far has done that, but

"Xbox Take a Screenshot"*

could be the thing you want to use? Though the timing is harder.

edit: *assuming you have a kinect

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Ah gotcha, awesome

And I can pin stuff, right? So that I can just press RT to get to it? I'll have to look into pinning the Game DVR because I'm a screenshot and video fiend sometimes

• Options
    It brings up the pause menu in most games automatically when you double tap guide, but im pretty sure when you take a screenshot it ignores the pause screen for most games. Which could be kind of annoying if you wanted to take a screenshot of the pause screen? Im not 100% on how it all works

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Ah gotcha, awesome

And I can pin stuff, right? So that I can just press RT to get to it? I'll have to look into pinning the Game DVR because I'm a screenshot and video fiend sometimes

Press start/menu over the tile to pin

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Whoa

Any screenshot you take can be set as a background? And Achievements in certain games have corresponding wallpapers?

That is cool as fuck

EDIT: But there appears to be no way to share them onto Facebook easily

God, if these two systems could combine ideas

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    When you double-tap the Xbox button it takes a screenshot before telling the game its bringing up the guide so it gets whatever you saw beforehand.

One thing I don't like about the new Guide is that they broke the quick switching between snap and game. Before you could double-tap then press right to pick snap or press left to pick game, now you have to double-tap, wait for the guide to load, then press right once then A to pick game or right twice then A to pick snap.

• Options
    Whoa

Any screenshot you take can be set as a background? And Achievements in certain games have corresponding wallpapers?

That is cool as fuck

Xboxclips.com is your friend

• Options
    You can pretty Much set any achievement image as a background wallpaper. Which is why it's annoying as hell when companies have like text or symbols. For third party companies I understand it, but freaking halo master chief collection has all these amazing concept art images, completely ruined by putting large ugly text down the bottom, it's like for fucks sake, you're first party, you know people use achievement images as wallpapers, and you even have beautiful concept art as your achievement images, and yet you ruin them with a big ugly "master chief collection" text bar down the bottom

Little nonsensical things like that bug the hell out of me with game developers

• Options
    Battlefront has excellent achievement images for backgrounds; Boba Fett is my current one.

• Options
    Whoa

That is cool as fuck

Oh my god thank you for this

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Whoa

That is cool as fuck

Oh my god thank you for this

O(h man ive had an xbox since launch and I never knew about this site, its fantastic

just made a gifv of one of my vids, its about 45 meg so i wont direct link it

http://imgur.com/FH3Q6fM

Prohass on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about my achievements stuff is that at the moment most of mine have been for Ori and the Blind Forest, and the performance achievements have mostly been me cheesing the game.

I got the "Kill three enemies simultaneously in mid-air" literally within the first 3-4 minutes of game and it was from me baiting the first three angry monkey enemies back into an XP orb and the level up effect shockwave killed all of them in mid-jump when I took the orb :P
    Xbox One says congratulations for cheesing this game yaya

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    You can find Screenshots and Gameclips through xboxdvr.com

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I hardly ever use the console to redeem codes, doing it via the website is so much quicker/easier/user friendly.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Dear lord is smartglass a life saver.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Oh now what the hell is this

Despite me getting a month of Gold for $1 and also putting in a three month code I bought at Target, Xbox.com is acting like I'm not a Gold member, badgering me to Join Xbox Live Gold and refusing to let me get my Games with Gold

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Oh now what the hell is this

Despite me getting a month of Gold for $1 and also putting in a three month code I bought at Target, Xbox.com is acting like I'm not a Gold member, badgering me to Join Xbox Live Gold and refusing to let me get my Games with Gold

I had that problem the last time I renewed my subscription. Do a full shut down on your console and reboot it (maybe even unplug it for a few seconds). See if that gets it to show up. If now contact support on their website (you can just do a web chat) and they should be able to get it fixed for you.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Well, that didn't work

So I contacted support through chat, and their advice was useless (he seemed to be just as lost as to where things were in the dashboard as I was), and then he eventually told me to do the same thing (power cycle, so I did, again) and also to clear my browser's cache, which I did

Problem still persists, and amidst the cache clearing, my connection with support was lost

Sigh

This sort of thing really should be easy, Microsoft does this shit for a living and somehow their competitors handle it better

I'll give it a few more days to sort itself out, until the end of the month, basically I just don't wanna lose out on the titles I'm eligible for now. Maybe the system just needs time or something

• Options
    Even with all the bullshit dragging my experience down a bit, still loving this

Rise of the Tomb Raider is fantastic

Super Meat Boy is still superior to the PS4 version, even though the Back button doesn't work for quick retries, because it has the original soundtrack

And playing Pac-Man CE DX on a current-gen console is fantastic

Come to think of it, how would, say, grenades work in Mass Effect 1 since you can't use the Back button?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    why can't you use the back button? it should just map correct ?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Maybe I'm misremembering it

Maybe Trials is what has the quick restart tied to Back

Speaking of which

Hope we get Trials HD and Evolution

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The Trials games are definitely some of my most wanted.

• Options
    Is there a way to share some, but not all your videos for sites like xbox live clips and stuff? I make a lot of clips and most of them are fairly nonsensical for other people to look at/browse (a lot of the videos I record are for film study/improvement more than anything).

Uploading to youtube is tedious.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I have no issue uploading to YT from the xbox. I already have an account linked to the YT app so its just a matter of making it in Upload and then uploading the video from the YT app. Its gotten faster and the last few videos I uploaded were published like within 5 minutes of their upload.

• Options
    Perhaps I'll go back and do the app then? It was a hassle before.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I see great deals all the time for Xbox Live Gold Subscriptions. Do you want me posting in here any time I do? I stock up on those when I see them; currently at 2.5 years worth of subscription time left; when you get 12 months for $30, it's hard not to stock up.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    December GwG approaches. 'Castlestorm' and 'Thief' are repeats:

ZcoyQWi.jpg

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I see great deals all the time for Xbox Live Gold Subscriptions. Do you want me posting in here any time I do? I stock up on those when I see them; currently at 2.5 years worth of subscription time left; when you get 12 months for $30, it's hard not to stock up.

I would be interested.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I just want to make sure that I'm not violating any ToS. I'm not promoting anything, but rather attempting to let you all get a kick ass deal that I would use if I wasn't pretty much already maxed out on the amount you can store at a time.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

ZcoyQWi.jpg

Theif isn't a repeat. They've done the 360 version before, but never the current gen.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Zilla360 wrote: »

ZcoyQWi.jpg

Theif isn't a repeat. They've done the 360 version before, but never the current gen.

and they did Xbone version of CastleStorm. not that occasional repeats are bad. got to think about those that missed out the first time around.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm excited for Thief on XBone. Been wanting to try it out for a long time, and free is quite agreeable.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I'm excited for Thief on XBone. Been wanting to try it out for a long time, and free is quite agreeable.

Same here. I've heard a lot of bad things, but free is right in my wheelhouse.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I grabbed Shadows of Mordor because while I wasn't sure about it last year (despite the good press and word of mouth), it's pretty hard to argue with twenty bucks.

I kinda want to be salty that I just bought Tales from the Borderlands, a couple of weeks ago - but then I remember that I got Episode 1 for free, and the whole thing was so utterly delightful that I don't mind giving Telltale my money.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227