As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Card Hunter] now, Card Hunter Forever.

• Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    I switched to a two warrior/priest combo and am currently losing fantastically. I have one step warrior and one bash warrior. I really need to learn to use warriors.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Really not a fan of bash warriors, particularly for PvP. They have to work to get in, so last thing you wanna do is smack your prey away once you're finally there. That's not to say you should strictly avoid all bashes or something (they're still useful for knocking people away the few times you want to), you just don't wanna load up on a lot of them is all.

Heck, I'll give you a quick look at what I use currently, loaded up to make sure they hit hard once they catch up to a target.

Human Warriors:
    Weapon 1: Bejeweled Shortsword
    Weapon 2: Rageblood Dagger
    Weapon 3: Powerful Sword
    Helmet: Silver Helmet
    Armor: Dependable Mail / Solid Mail
    Boots: Marmot Boots / Chestnut Boots
    Shield: Slippery Shield
    Racial Skill: Novice Command
    Martial Skill: Sharp Bashing

Before I had tried using a token-less weapon for the third slot (either a Leaden Maul or Flimsy Rapier) to get better Racial and Boots (like Superb Command, Trained Command, Steel Boots of the Bull, Goblin-hide Boots, etc).

Human Priest:
    Weapon 1: Lifesuck Spear
    Weapon 2: Lifesuck Spear
    Shield: Steel-rimmed Buckler
    Armor: Rusted Angel Mail
    Boots: Salazar's Sandals
    Divine 1: Incense of Roiled Air
    Divine 2: Shuddering Relic
    Divine 3: Greasy Tome
    Racial Skill: Perfect Command
    Divine Skill: Trained Cleansing

I'm not posting all this to try to say my loadout is even particularly great, mind you...there are some pretty awesome items that would suit this build that I just don't have (like Bleneth's Skull or Vibrant Pain). But basically you want to make sure you're very, very mobile and that you can actually deliver the hurt once you've run your opponent silly.

Also as a quick aside, I don't tend to rate armor very highly once you reach upper ranks. A dice roll to shave off a few damage isn't worth much when other warriors can spring double digit attacks + All Out Attack on you at the drop of a hat, so having good blocks is more important to try to prevent the whole thing. Even though I'm not really using them right now, you can never go wrong with lots of Parry cards for such a reason.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    I just switched to all elves, 2 priest 1 warrior and I like it a lot more. If I had a Bejweled Shortsword I would use one in a heartbeat. My 2 priests are pretty much frenzy and draw engines for my warrior. I just spent 500 gold on St Olafs Fiery Pike. I had 1k gold from selling epic treasures.

Kolosus on
  • Options
    Just got my Bejewled Shortsword from the first encounter in the Dragon quest series. (I have completed the campaign but am running for loot and to power level my warriors.)

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I love my Bash Warrior.

But mainly because she's used as a form of denial. Lots of Parry and Bashes to keep the enemy away while she holds the victory point. My wizard moves enemies out of range/onto fire or smokescreens opposing wizards. My cleric keeps em both alive with Nimbuses and purges any buffs the opponent spends time casting.

• Options
    Ugh, that Fiery Pike is stupid good for frenzy teams. I hope my rare shop stocks up some good stuff this weekend, the last respawn for it was really disappointing. Or conversely the game would be kind enough to just drop some rare loot that's nice for me on occasion, it can be disappointing to see what kind of gear my opponents are wielding in comparison to mine. One guy had some insane stuff that managed his warrior 3x Obliterating Bludgeon through use of a Reaper's Scythe and an Infused Greatclub, plus a Nimble Strike weapon which I forget now. Lochaber Axe, maybe.

...meanwhile, I don't even have any weapons with Nimble Strike yet. Which feels kinda sad considering how often my opponents spring them on me.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Now I am debating on keeping my warrior Bash, or using the Bejewled Shortsword.
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I love my Bash Warrior.

But mainly because she's used as a form of denial. Lots of Parry and Bashes to keep the enemy away while she holds the victory point. My wizard moves enemies out of range/onto fire or smokescreens opposing wizards. My cleric keeps em both alive with Nimbuses and purges any buffs the opponent spends time casting.

That's how I am using my Bash warrior too. Right now I have Sout Club X2 and Blocking Mace

It seems like these new maps favor people who load up on movement.

Kolosus on
  • Options
    I was curious about the Bejewled Shortsword, so I looked up if I had any.

Turns out I have three, none of them equipped. I think the double yellow power requirement has scared me off of them in the past.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I don't remember if it worked this way in the beta, but Talented Healer counting vampiric attacks as heals is ridiculous(ly awesome).
    I won a PvP match yesterday. The guy was ahead on damage, had held the victory points for two turns. My priest was almost dead, but in one turn did, Consuming Touch, Spear of Darkness, and a heal on my warrior to get them both up to full and brought his wizard down low enough that my warriors two chops killed it and the priest.
    Then he quit.

I also squeaked a win out in the second Geomancer treasure hunt when my priest was at 1 hp. I had 2 enervating touches, a spear of darkness and a flanking move in my hand. Healed back to full from 1 hp, killed the enemy, and got to a different position, all as cantrips.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ironclad Tactics aroused my appetite for card based games without fully bedding it back down so I started playing this again, I made a new account and started over. My first try at playing this game basically stopped right after the tutorial section where you get a full party.

Last time I went all Dwarves. This time I went all Elves. Not even intentionally. It basically was me going "Man, having a slow warrior was miserable, I'll grab an Elf." And then "Man, having my wizard not being able to run away from anything was miserable, I'll grab an Elf." And finally "I need my healer to be able to keep up with my team... I'll grab an Elf."

And it feels so much better. The game was pretty miserable being Dwarf heavy. Like, I know later on you can get them items and stuff to make them mobile but in the meantime in really sucked. It made the whole game feel clunky. Because I couldn't really run away our maneuver well that entire strategic aspect of the game was gone.

I am sure at one point my squishiness is going to bite me in the butt, but being able to actually move around the battlefield is very rad so far.

• Options
    Yeah, there are some missions later on that are really cramped that will probably hurt as an all elf team, but in general more movement means more options which means more fun.

I am on the verge of running an all elf cleric team (maybe one human). I think it'd be really fun.

• Options
    In my campaign I've settled on human warrior for the leadership stuff, dwarf mage where the dwarf HP bonus way more than makes up for wizard penalty (he has almost as much as the warrior), and an elf priest (between the mobility and vampiric attacks has some pretty great kiting ability).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I completed the campaign without using warriors past level 9, I went two mages and a priest. Now I am having to learn how to properly kit my warriors, but the good part is I can powerlevel them with a mage and priest.
    I don't remember if it worked this way in the beta, but Talented Healer counting vampiric attacks as heals is ridiculous(ly awesome).
    I won a PvP match yesterday. The guy was ahead on damage, had held the victory points for two turns. My priest was almost dead, but in one turn did, Consuming Touch, Spear of Darkness, and a heal on my warrior to get them both up to full and brought his wizard down low enough that my warriors two chops killed it and the priest.
    Then he quit.

I also squeaked a win out in the second Geomancer treasure hunt when my priest was at 1 hp. I had 2 enervating touches, a spear of darkness and a flanking move in my hand. Healed back to full from 1 hp, killed the enemy, and got to a different position, all as cantrips.

I recently switched one of my PvP priests (currently running 2 priest 1 warrior) to be Talented Healer and it's kind of hilarious to chain lots of attacks and heals without using a turn.

• Options
    Just got my first Legendary that was not Hand of Melvelous. Got it from a Multiplayer chest for my first win. It was Waasker's White Cup. Kind of underwhelming.

• Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    Situationally that is decent, though probably decent isn't what you want on a Legendary. Forgetfulness is pretty awesome card advantage against some pretty annoying cards.

• Options
    When you can trick an enemy mage into exposing themselves and you use a discard like Perplexing Ray or forgetfuls and watch something awesome get trashed, it feels so good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Arrogant Armor is so good. So very good. Though stacking it makes some of the common cards less useful (mass frenzy, unholy strength, nimbus, traits)

• Options
    Do any of you guys run a balanced Warrior/Priest/Mage combo? I find myself running a Priest and then either another priest and something else or two mages.

• Options
    My main MP/SP party right now is Warrior/Priest/Mage.

I'm trying to gear up different party makeups, but the balanced approach is what I've used so far.

• Options
    I've been running a balanced elf party in SP, doing quests. Mostly just due to equipment spread issues, though at this point I could probably switch to Warrior/Priest/Priest or Priest/Priest/Warrior.

• Options
    My main MP/SP party right now is Warrior/Priest/Mage.

I'm trying to gear up different party makeups, but the balanced approach is what I've used so far.

I have three different groups that I actively play, and I am messing around with 3 Wizards.

• Options
    I'm levelling 3 Wizards right now.

It hilariously powerful in the lower levels.

• Options
    It really is. I am having fun in MP. I have a frost Wizard, a Fire Wizard and a Electricity/Acid Wizard.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    So, uh. I'm around level 5 just now, having a lot of fun and stuff, but...

...does the priest get better? Because right now it's kind of underwhelming.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Kolosus wrote: »
    It really is. I am having fun in MP. I have a frost Wizard, a Fire Wizard and a Electricity/Acid Wizard.

See that seems smart.

I was planning on just being the equivalent of playing Blue in Magic and running a Telekinesis/Push Wizard, a CounterSpell/Smoke Wizard, and a Lava/Acid Square Wizard.

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »

Priests get much better. They become a fighter that can buff/heal with abilities that can life leech from enemies.

• Options

Priests get much better. They become a fighter that can buff/heal with abilities that can life leech from enemies.

I think I said this before, but priests start the most lackluster but ramp up as you gain access to more gear.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Well, I'll keep suffering through mine then. Thanks.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Priests can actually get really good. I have mine both with Mass Frenzy and they support my warrior really well.

• Options
    Yeah, Mass Frenzy adds a ton of damage.

Also see the previous conversation about Talented Healer vampiric priests basically oneshotting dudes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yep. They can fill many roles. I'm contemplating going 2p1w as a team due to the plethora of priest items I have. One priest to just vamp things down, one priest to buff the first priest and warrior.

• Options
    Saammiel wrote: »
    Yep. They can fill many roles. I'm contemplating going 2p1w as a team due to the plethora of priest items I have. One priest to just vamp things down, one priest to buff the first priest and warrior.

This is currently my favorite multiplayer team. Both of my priests have 2+ range attacks and as much mass frenzy as I can get and my warrior has tons of Massive Chops and Massive Bludgeons.

• Options
    So a legendary and two rare treasures later and I have over 2000 gold
    PLEASE let the rare shop be kind to me this weekend

• Options
    I've been playing through the campaign again with three new parties and trying to finish the challenges along the way. My first playthrough ever was with the typical Wizard/Fighter/Cleric party makeup. The parties I've been levelling this time have been all of one class. They are all fun in their own way but the all cleric party is just bonkers. Thoughts:

Glass Cannons (All Wizards | Dwarf/Human/Elf): This party started off really really strong in the early levels. I tore through everything up until about level 10. But they've had some problems in the later levels. Spell damage doesn't scale up as much as enemy health does. There is no healing, damage mitigation is low, and survivability is in general a problem. The only way to make them work is to load up on the push spells, throw down fire on the ground, and hope nothing can get close. I think the only way this party works in MP is to go all elf, load up on encumber/telekinesis stuff and hope you can keep the enemy off the victory points because no way are you going to hold it.

The Gun Show (All Fighters | Human/Human/Elf): This party has been solid from the get go. Not too overpowered, not too weak. The humans are a heavy armor club guy and a semi-mobile chopper/piercer, and the elf focuses on step and reach attacks with pierce. This party is really fun to play because its all about just standing toe to toe with the enemy and getting my elf behind the lines to stab dudes in the back. They die sometimes, but have never forced me to pay any gold to revive the party. This could work in MP if they used arrogant armor to shrug off encumbered effects and focused on reach and step stuff to catch up with wizards.

Vampire Angels (All Clerics | Human/Elf/Elf): Ahahahahahahah. This party never ever dies. The human is more armored and has as many Mass Frenzies as possible combined with all vampiric/high damage attacks. One elf is step attack based with vampiric/chop attacks, also with mass frenzies. The other elf is packed with heals/cons ground and stuff to stay alive. They ALL have righteous furies all through their deck and the elves are rocking altruisms while the human is rocking the trait that removes enemy cards from allies and heals. Mass Fury + Righteous Fury + Unrighteous Fury + life leech attacks = immortal. I can't wait till I have the gold power tokens to start adding Impenetrable Nimbuses. This group could easily work in MP and I can't wait to get the cards where I feel like they can do some serious damage. Easily my favorite party I have ever played with and it could be why they are further in the campaign than the other two.

TLDR: Give an all cleric party a chance sometime. Its hilariously overpowered.

• Options
    I have an all cleric multiplayer party but I don't have enough drain attacks to keep it viable. I have two drain priests and one healer.

• Options
    Drain attacks are fairly low powered, so to make them really viable, you gotta have a full complement of Frenzies. Blind Rage is a useful free Frenzy because it replaces itself. Frenzy Aura is nice, but hard to get too many in a deck. But you can and should pack as many of the following as possible: There are two frenzy buffs without any drawback (Mass and Righteous) that will add 5 total damage to any attack. Then there is Unholy Frenzy that can add another 2 damage with a drawback of taking 1 damage to start with, which is a great combo with Holy Armor btw. Unholy Wellspring adds 3, but with 2 damage at the get go, again, combo with Holy Armor. Finally, Savage Curse is a really good card to have a couple of because it ensures that killing blow in many instances.

The key, and I forgot to mention this in my initial post, is to have as many cards that can replace themselves as possible in the all Cleric setup. My boots all have Spin Around (draw a card). My healer has three Altruisms because she hands out Frenzies/Heals like crazy and Altruism will normally let her draw after a couple of them. My other two have Demonic Feedback which is amazing to help keep rounds going when the enemy has already run out of cards and the damage can be mitigated by armor (again Holy Armor is great here). Martyr Blessing is another good one to help cycle at the beginning of the round. And of course Accelerated Thought is great.

Basically, all Cleric works because of massive card advantage + life leech. Its as close to playing a Combo deck as I've gotten in this game and I'm loving it. When it works, it can clear an entire board of enemies in Campaign and leave my party at full health every single turn. The couple times it doesn't work, it crashes hard, but as I play with it more I've learned how to mitigate that and strike when I want to. I think ideally, I would run an all Elf party for the movement advantage to ensure I strike when the cards are just right and load em up with heavy armor and holy armor.

• Options
    I messed around with it for some of the challenges and it worked really well. I don't know if I will be able to get it to work in Multiplayer though because of the low damage output.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I haven't played the game since the beta ended but I want the vampire guy: http://www.cardhunter.com/2013/10/happy-halloween/

1383613_654251081272593_609644537_n.png
    Card Hunter celebrates Halloween with exclusive figures and items! Launching tonight at 10pm PST (1am EST)!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    I really want some of the Halloween items. I don't have any gold though. I really need a legendary treasure or two to drop!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So, my wife and I are going to give this game a shot. Or, at least, I convinced her to "donate" a portion of her evening to trying a new game that we can both enjoy. That being said, she's not much of a gamer.

Any tips for us, jumping into this? Is it worth tossing out 10 bucks a piece to get going; or just experience the game and see how things go?

Any recommended modules for us to try out? I know there's no co-op play, but we will be playing on adjacent computers, so we can still help each other.