As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets play in the MUD

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
MUD : Multi-User Dungeon.

MUDs are essentially text based adventures, except online. They can be quite alot of fun, so I'm interested in hearing what you guys like to play? My personal favorite is "Aalynor's Nexus," set in a medival/magic setting with elves and whatnot, but it's got some cool backstory and intervention by the Gods. It's not uncommon to see the city of Nexus get assaulted by Goblins and all sorts of nasty creatures. It's RP enforced, so don't go running around yelling about nintendo or anything. I'm kaerin in game if you'd like to contact me. Just type flash kaerin yadayada.

If you'd like to play, pick up a client like MUSHclient. Works much better than just straight up TelNet.

So, discuss! If you'd like to try out Aalynor's, get MUSHclient or an equivalent, and the server info is:
aalynorsnexus.com
port: 2000

So, MUDs, GO!

SniperGuy on

• Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You might want to know that there is a similar MUD thread which has sort of turned into a Nethack/IVAN game-on thing

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=16745

The MUD I'v enjoyed the most is the Doom Roguelike, mainly because I'm a big fan of the origonal Doom games and a top down, more stategic version with lots of randomness and RPG goings-on was very appealing, plus, it's not as complicated as many other MUDs so it's easy to wrap your head around but still has a decent amount of depth.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Roguelikes are completely different from MUDs though.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I.. oh, alright then. I always assumed they were the same thing.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You need to say "whatnot" less.

Also, are there any good MUDs that aren't based on fantasy? I might play one if there was a cool sci-fi one.

Lemming on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh there's TONS of MUDs. You'll find quite a lot of "HEY I'M GOKU, EXCEPT ALSO A PIRATE, IN SPACE." MUDs, but there's quite a few gems in there as well. Haven't ever found a sci-fi one I liked though.

SniperGuy on