As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Should I buy a Wii U?

XixXix Miami/LosAngeles/MoscowRegistered User regular
I've been out of the loop with game consoles, so I guess this is the best place to get advice.

A long time ago when the Wii U came out I considered buying it, but once I tried a demo at Gamestop I decided against that when I realized I didn't give a flying fuck about the tablet control and there was really only one game I was interested in anyway (New Super Mario Bros U). I figured I'd just let the console mature and pick it up when there's some good stuff out there.

Fast forward to today, I keep hearing the console is pretty much dead in the water. That's a pretty strong statement to make, so what's the deal with this console? I really want to play the new Mario platformers, but I know the console is likely going to collect dust once I finish them. Would I have trouble reselling a Wii U? Is there a price drop coming? How long will it be before the Wii U gets it's killer apps? Should I just wait for a PS4?

• LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    It's a lot of money to spend if you're just interested in playing one or two games. Maybe look to see what else has been released or what is coming out in the next year or so? I mean, it's Nintendo, you know there is going to be a lot of excellent first party games available.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You can ask here, but you might want to check out the console thread for answers as well. Your question will get more exposure with people who really know the system.

In general though, if you are pretty sure you really only want a console for one or two games, it comes down to how badly you want to play those games and how much disposable income you have to throw at them. I've personally skipped the most recent generation and will skip this one as well because I don't want to spend what would essentially add up to $500 on two games.

Also I have a very nice PC.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We love our Wii U, but I also could not recommend it to someone else. There are a few great games for it, but not really any must haves that you can't find somewhere else. By the time it has a stable of good stuff, it will be cheaper.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    I agree with shadowfire, I love nintendo and the 1st party games, they just dont exist at the moment. My WiiU has had very little use. The futures looking good but I'd say a good 6-10 months off having a few must haves.

• MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    I will echo what the others have said, I love my WiiU but can't recommend someone buy one with how few games there are at the moment. Around the holidays that will likely change though.

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    The WiiU, much like the 3DS, is going through some growing pains during the first year.

This holiday season it will have matured into a thing of beauty, but it is somewhat barren right now.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    The WiiU, much like the 3DS, is going through some growing pains during the first year.

This holiday season it will have matured into a thing of beauty, but it is somewhat barren right now.

It's almost looking like it won't mature until next year... the new Mario and Wii U remake of Wind Waker come this year, and Pikmin later in the year. But we won't see Mario Kart, Bayonetta, X, and any other good stuff until next year. :\

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I'm hoping it goes though an indie boom.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Do you have a Wii (one)? I'm really impressed with the way the Wii U lets you transfer your Virtual Console games and is fully backward compatible with the Wii, but there really aren't any must Wii U haves, and they won't be out for a good long while: the upcoming Zelda is an HD port, the upcoming Mario looks really stylistically homogenic and uninteresting, and unfortunately the really exciting stuff like Bayonetta , Xenoblade II, and a proper new Zelda game are a really long ways off...meanwhile, the big third parties are looking more and more like they're going to ignore it as much as they did the Wii.

Definitely wait until Nintendo has a healthy library of games you want already out for it.

Darlan on
  • BruanBruan Registered User regular
    I love my Wii U. My devotion to it is irrational. There aren't too many titles that I love, and I enjoy my DS more. However, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate has consumed my life. I think ZombieU will do the same.

As far as "Killer Apps," I don't think there are any yet. I heard Lego City Undercover was pretty boss, though.

Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Right now, the Wii U is in this weird position where it is an absolutely awesome console if you are into the unique games on it, but it has very, VERY little going for it to sell it to others. Once the library matures, it'll be great.. but by that time, 3rd party support will be non-existent, so it will all be about getting it as a secondary console to Microsoft/Sony.

It has three major selling points for it right now:

1) Nintendo games. You buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games; if you don't like Nintendo games, do not buy the system.

2) Off-screen play. Whether the game takes advantage of the tablet or not, having an off-screen play mode is awesome. This is especially handy if you have a family - you can play while they watch something else. This also works with Netflix/Youtube, and the tablet's pretty comfortable to hold for long times.

3) Wii backwards compatibility/Virtual Console. We already know this will be the only true BC console of the next generation, and the Wii has a fantastic library between retail and Wiiware. The WiiU native VC still has a ways to go (see #1 on this one), but the Wii VC is about 85% complete with about anything you'd want from the 80s/90s. Plus if you buy it on the Wii VC and it's later released on the Wii U, you can upgrade at a discount.

I think everyone's expecting a price drop in the upcoming months, though.. so really it comes down to whether or not you can wait. I couldn't - I bought mine on launch day because I didn't own a TV at the time, and I was able to beat NSMBU without one. But I will not lie when I say I bought it in anticipation of greatness coming down the road, not because there was a ton that I had to have that instant.

I've since bought 8 retail games for the system, 2-3 eShop games, and almost all the VC titles.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CourtOfOwlsCourtOfOwls Registered User regular
    I would back up what most people are saying about putting the console on hold. Additionally I would not recommend the system for the online Nintendo store. While I would not dare compare the service to something like steam, Nintendo still has yet to improve this poor service (which started with the Wii). Penny Arcade Report recently had an article explaining how Ninendo's mishandled online vendor is propagating the piracy of their own products. I just thought you would appreciate the perspective now that consoles have become more than just a box to place CD's in.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I would back up what most people are saying about putting the console on hold. Additionally I would not recommend the system for the online Nintendo store. While I would not dare compare the service to something like steam, Nintendo still has yet to improve this poor service (which started with the Wii). Penny Arcade Report recently had an article explaining how Ninendo's mishandled online vendor is propagating the piracy of their own products. I just thought you would appreciate the perspective now that consoles have become more than just a box to place CD's in.

EDIT: Nevermind, you're talking about this article: http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/nintendo-isnt-losing-to-the-ouyas-high-quality-emulation-of-classic-games-i

Which is really just a jab at how easy emulation is on ANY system compared to the Wii U's virtual console (or any other console that charges you for older games). The store itself is functional, not perfect, but decent enough.

Other than that, I have a Wii U and I like it enough. Not enough "killer games" out yet for me to recommend it to anyone else, but when they come (you know they will) it'll be worth owning.

Kyanilis on