As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legend of Zelda] This thread lost all its hearts and had no fairy left - find the new one

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm not that old but I do remember beating ALTTP when it came out. That silver arrow.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The first time I reached Ganon in the original Legend of Zelda, I was confused as I had no idea how to beat him.

I later discovered that I missed the secret room with the silver arrows. Whatever did we do without the internet and Gamefaqs. It was a wonder I was able to beat half the games I did on the NES.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The first time I reached Ganon in the original Legend of Zelda, I was confused as I had no idea how to beat him.

I later discovered that I missed the secret room with the silver arrows. Whatever did we do without the internet and Gamefaqs. It was a wonder I was able to beat half the games I did on the NES.

We bought the Official Nintendo Power Strategy Guides. And before that, we called the Nintendo Hotline.

Nintendo Power helped me beat Zelda the first time as that's where I found out that I missed the silver arrows.

Also, I miss Classified Information. That was one of my favorite sections of classic NP.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I didn't beat LoZ right at launch because I didn't get my NES until Christmas. It goes without saying though that I poured hundreds of hours into the game, finding every secret and searching every nook and cranny in the game. My first ever delayed game was AoL, but it was also a day one purchase (released 2 days before my birthday, thanks Mom!) and more of my childhood was spent in the amazing world it provided.

So yeah, those two games aren't great in retrospect but at the time were absolutely amazing and magical in the eyes of a an 11-year old boy.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    As a side note, one of the franchises I would most like Nintendo to resurrect (besides Star Tropics) is Pro Wrestling.

EA drops out, then bring out your own sports franchises. You have the IP, you have the characters, revive one of the best wrestling games on the NES please Nintendo.

And yes, I spent countless hours uncovering the secrets of Hyrule. LoZ was an eye opening experience for a guy who's only RPG type game he played up to that point was Adventure on my 2600.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    As a side note, one of the franchises I would most like Nintendo to resurrect (besides Star Tropics) is Pro Wrestling.

EA drops out, then bring out your own sports franchises. You have the IP, you have the characters, revive one of the best wrestling games on the NES please Nintendo.

And yes, I spent countless hours uncovering the secrets of Hyrule. LoZ was an eye opening experience for a guy who's only RPG type game he played up to that point was Adventure on my 2600.

Honestly I don't see any sports game doing really well without the actual named players/whatever in it. Unless you make it another mascot game like "Mario __whateversomekindofsport__"

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    It goes without saying though that I poured hundreds of hours into the game, finding every secret and searching every nook and cranny in the game.

I can't imagine this being possible with the sheer number of bombs you'd have to farm over and over from enemies to be able to bomb every rock wall in the game.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    It goes without saying though that I poured hundreds of hours into the game, finding every secret and searching every nook and cranny in the game.

I can't imagine this being possible with the sheer number of bombs you'd have to farm over and over from enemies to be able to bomb every rock wall in the game.

Protip: Bomb the cracks between tiles. Two for one!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Honestly I don't see any sports game doing really well without the actual named players/whatever in it. Unless you make it another mascot game like "Mario __whateversomekindofsport__"

Punch Out sold great!

Also, there is one important reason why Pro Wrestling needs to be revived:

Pro_Wrestling_The_Amazon.png

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular

Look, I don't judge you for how you spend your free time.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    All they have to do is infuse Pro Wrestling with the silliness of Punch-Out and it will work. Just give it to the guys that did the recent Punch-Out game.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I location of the 8th Labyrinth in Zelda 1 was pretty crazy. It think there was a vague hint for it though.

I am glad they dropped that aspect in the later games. Now, you have more of a clue about hidden stuff. NES games were pretty obnoxious in general.

Krathoon on

Sporky, never underestimate the sheer will-power and free time of a 9-year old boy. :)

Like Warlock said, you bomb between cracks for extra coverage. Burn through all 16 bombs? No problem! Reset and start over.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Confession time:
    It took me 8 years to finish ALTTP

I am honestly not sure if I ever finished ALTTP. I cannot remember.

Also: Zelda II was excellent. To this day I cannot comprehend why people dislike it so much.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited July 2013
    Drez wrote: »
    Also: Zelda II was excellent. To this day I cannot comprehend why people dislike it so much.

Cuz it's hard, and also people hate things that are awesome frequently :(

Warlock82 on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I've never gotten very far in Zelda 2. Perhaps one day I will get further, now that I have it on the 3DS.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

Not necessarily. I finished the game, and while it was more difficult than the other Zelda games, it's not that hard compared to a lot of other games from that era (Nintendo Hard). I still strongly dislike it, and only finished it because back then, my parents rarely bought us games, and we frequently beat games we regretted asking for.

EDIT: I'm just saying that there are people who enjoy difficult games who still don't dig Zelda 2. There are plenty of other reasons to dislike it.

Dirty on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Zelda 2 is a troll game. Kill 60 enemies to gain a level. Oh you took one hit too many on enemy 59? Start over.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Not necessarily. I finished the game, and while it was more difficult than the other Zelda games, it's not that hard compared to a lot of other games from that era (Nintendo Hard). I still strongly dislike it, and only finished it because back then, my parents rarely bought us games, and we frequently beat games we regretted asking for.

EDIT: I'm just saying that there are people who enjoy difficult games who still don't dig Zelda 2. There are plenty of other reasons to dislike it.

And those reasons are?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Zelda 2 is a troll game. Kill 60 enemies to gain a level. Oh you took one hit too many on enemy 59? Start over.

To be fair, the same could be said of all level grinding games of the NES area.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I played Zelda II for the first time about a year ago, and really enjoyed it. I gave up on the path to the last Palace as I just don't have the time to get good enough.

I still really enjoyed it, never say never.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.

I might be wrong here, but in DQ/FF/whatever, you can go to the castle and get somebody to save your game, preventing the loss of the grinding. Does Z2 have such a feature? I know you can save, I just mean a way to prevent the loss.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Quick question: Beat Oracle of Seasons, used password to start Oracle of Ages linked, beat that too - is there no "aftergame" in the linked game? It returns me to just before the final dungeon after beating the final boss, whereas Oracle of Seasons doesn't. It just lets me wander about the overworld, collect rings, enter secrets and so forth.

Yeah, for whatever reason you don't get a post-game save in the linked game. You can still do all the side stuff you want with a save just before fighting the linked game boss.

I might be wrong here, but in DQ/FF/whatever, you can go to the castle and get somebody to save your game, preventing the loss of the grinding. Does Z2 have such a feature? I know you can save, I just mean a way to prevent the loss.

As far as I know, anytime you saved in AoL the game kept your stats where they were. It did however reset your current XP to 0, which made grinding dangerous if you were on your last life. It was always best to save after leveling up if possible. In the Japanese version of the game, the game automatically dropped your stats to the lowest one to make players even out their leveling. They ditched that for the NA release though so you could go level 8 attack and level 1 magic/health if you wanted.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

And those reasons are?

It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly why I didn't like it. It's not just because it's different from the other Zelda games. I've enjoyed other series' "black sheep". I guess for me, at the end of the day, while it didn't feel like it did anything wrong, it didn't feel like it did anything right either. Combat could be challenging, but I never felt engaged. The art style is consistent, but I can't say I like looking at it. Everything seems well made, but it never seems interesting to me.

As far as I know, anytime you saved in AoL the game kept your stats where they were. It did however reset your current XP to 0, which made grinding dangerous if you were on your last life. It was always best to save after leveling up if possible. In the Japanese version of the game, the game automatically dropped your stats to the lowest one to make players even out their leveling. They ditched that for the NA release though so you could go level 8 attack and level 1 magic/health if you wanted.

I think save states are going to be my friend in this game. I heard the XP system was bad, but ouch.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I've yet to beat Zelda 2... and I had a game genie back in the day.

I played the 3DS version and got to the point where you have to get the hammer, but I couldn't get through the dungeon without dying and it was going to take far too long to grind out the level.

• UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Zelda 2 was the first NES game I owned. In fact, I used my hard earned paper-route money to purchase it at Children's Palace (RIP) on release date before I actually bought a NES, since I figured it would sell out quickly. And, sure enough, a couple months later when I bought my NES, the game was out of stock. In the meantime, I would go over to friends' houses and play it. So, it has a very special place in my heart.

(Prior to getting it, my parents had rented a NES + Zelda + Mario for me one weekend, and I spent all weekend playing and beat Zelda. So I was already a big Zelda fan. Not sure how far I got on the Master Quest. Pretty sure I already had a Nintendo Power subscription with a Zelda strategy guide to help ...)

Zelda 2 wasn't my first NES game but it was one of my first NES games :P I bought it because there was a person on the back of the box saying "Hello" and I thought that was cool as hell back in 1989 :)

I tried playing Zelda 2 today when I had some spare time. I found two towns, talked to some villagers, found some hookers (Zelda did it before GTA!) and then I explored the forest and died. Then I attempted to explore a dark cave and died. I am not used to Nintendo hard games anymore. This is terrible. Now I must somehow master this game.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I tried playing Zelda 2 today when I had some spare time. I found two towns, talked to some villagers, found some hookers (Zelda did it before GTA!) and then I explored the forest and died. Then I attempted to explore a dark cave and died. I am not used to Nintendo hard games anymore. This is terrible. Now I must somehow master this game.

Good luck Arc! Just remember that the clues the villagers provide are fairly useless from poor translations. Assume they are all just trolling you.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    And it's unusual for a Zelda game, but grinding helps. There's some incentive to explore in the form of random XP bags, but be careful about grabbing them if you're on your last life. Sucks to waste it.

Also, you can 'skip' certain level ups and build towards other stats instead of leveling up when prompted. It's worth it to go for a few sword upgrades early, it makes a real difference in lifting things out of nightmare mode.

SS report: Why isn't this game the Legend of Impa? She seems frankly better at stuff than me. Because I have the magical (annoying) sword? She can umm borrow it.

Also, whoever gave me the hint about the block behind the first temple's ending is good people. It didn't create 100 rupees as suggested, it created THREE hundred rupees. :lol:

• Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    So last night a friend and I decided to fire up Twilight Princess since I hadn't played it since I got it with my Wii at launch. It holds up a lot better in practice than it did in my head, aside from the (comparative to Skyward Sword) wonky inventory. After a while I barely noticed the somewhat washed out textures and generally enjoyed myself, aside from the sections when you're a wolf and are forced to fight varying amounts of those Twilight Cthulu-esque beasties and have to kill them simultaneously. Don't recall them being so tough but I had a hell of a time lining up the insta-kill for those.

Twighlight Princess was awesome for one main reason: Midna. She is one of the best Zelda characters created not named Groose.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Twighlight Princess was awesome for one main reason: Midna. She is one of the best Zelda characters created not named Groose.

While your statement is technically correct, I object to your insinuation that she is not better than Groose. Because she is.

• thenorm42thenorm42 Registered User new member
    Houn wrote: »

While your statement is technically correct, I object to your insinuation that she is not better than Groose. Because she is.

Yeah, Midna's great. I liked Fi too, though - you just had to read her tone as being incredibly sarcastic and it made her dialogue vastly more amusing. Kind of like the Computer from Paranoia. Maybe one day she'll return as the villain?

Check out Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, the ace new tabletop RPG from Jenna Moran, author of the incomparably brilliant Nobilis.
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    No one and nothing is better than Groose.

The only one better than Groose is
    Groose.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Also, whoever gave me the hint about the block behind the first temple's ending is good people. It didn't create 100 rupees as suggested, it created THREE hundred rupees. :lol:
    Well, I said it gave you a Gold Rupee (which is worth 300 rupees). Speaking of that, all rupees that come from those chests will be gold, so make sure you have some room in your wallet when opening them.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru