As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video games and the law/lawyers

sigmachievsigmachiev Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Hey everyone. I'm about to graduate and, as an aspiring law student (my LSATs are pretty strong, so after a year of some saving up I'm pretty sure I'm going somewhere), and as a gamer, I was wondering what fields of law might be especially applicable to the industry. The way I see it, as gaming grows, so does the need for legal representation for game developers and players alike. I'm especially interested in hearing form anyone who might be practicing some type of law in tandem with the industry, but I'd also love to hear any additional ideas on the subject for what I could pursue. It's just my opinion, but something tells me intellectual property law is going to start being a big deal in the coming years (and in fact, you could argue it is now) for our shared passtime.

SMASH CODE: 4768-7151-3741
sigmachiev on

• Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anti-Thompson?

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Joining the ACLU would probably be a good idea.

You know, first amendment and all that.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    First, if you haven't done the research on classic video game cases, I think you should. IANAL, but IMO trying to set yourself up as a "videogame lawyer" won't cut it....Now specializing in media/IP..that would...

RE: classic cases. My favorite is when Universal sued Nintendo for Donkey Kong....and Howard Lincoln found out and proved in court that Universal actually DIDN'T own King Kong; the copyright had expired and they were too stupid to renew it..

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Trademark and copyright would, I think, be the fields of choice...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Malice AforethoughtMalice Aforethought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As others have mentioned, Trademark and Copyright, the so-called "Soft-IP" areas, are related to the game industry. The problem with these areas is that they are relatively difficult to break into out of law school because there is somewhat less work in these areas than in many others. If you have a hard-science or engineering background, patent work is also probably relevant to the industry and is a red-hot practice area at almost all times.

Beyond this, game companies also need attorneys who do standard work. For example, writing the EULA's and dealing with problems that arise with it, standard employment issues, and other problems that come along with operating a business.

I'm not sure how game companies handle their legal work, but it is probably with a mix of in-house counsel and outside firms. It is generally difficult to get an in-house position right out of school (not impossible), but if you are smart when researching firms you can find out if any of their clients are in the game industry.

Malice Aforethought on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Copyright, patent, and trade secret.

Patent law fucking sucks though. Not fun at all to study or work with.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Malice AforethoughtMalice Aforethought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

This is pretty much true for any area of the law.

Malice Aforethought on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

This is pretty much true for any area of the law.
    Nah, I have enjoyed all kinds of classes. But patent baffles me like no other.

deadonthestreet on