As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Thread?

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want some more information on Disaster: Day of Crisis. That game looked cool

Aliens and earthquakes and all that good shit.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    Guys, lets not make this an Everyone vs Defender thread.

i say everyone vs rehab sounds like more fun

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I bought Sonic and I played it a lot for the first two days I had it, then it got pretty boring and as it got harder I just didn't have the drive to put in the work to finish certain levels. However some friends of mine came over and we had a good time playing it. We found the Mario Party wannabe minigames pretty fun, too.

Also, I don't have anyone from here on my list so here's my friend code: 6063 3048 0068 5698
    just let me know if you add me.

i am being adding you when i get up to go do stuffs real soon now

it will be great when you never see this post and i have yet another grey name in my friend roster :cry:

potatoe on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    potatoe wrote: »

Alright, well uh . . . I disagree with your opinions potatoe. Ha!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    potatoe

Did I add you?

I'm pretty sure I did.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    yes you did <3

potatoe on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, there aren't too many games out for it yet, but continually calling the Wii a "trend" or a "fad" is jumping the gun by a pretty wide margin

Obviously if the Wii dosn't instantly change the face of video games as we know them and do everything perfectly it's a mere fad and doomed to failure and Nintendo will go 3rd party.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2007

god that's just like you always having opinions stop trolling i hate you

potatoe on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I bought Sonic and I played it a lot for the first two days I had it, then it got pretty boring and as it got harder I just didn't have the drive to put in the work to finish certain levels. However some friends of mine came over and we had a good time playing it. We found the Mario Party wannabe minigames pretty fun, too.

Also, I don't have anyone from here on my list so here's my friend code: 6063 3048 0068 5698

it will be great when you never see this post and i have yet another grey name in my friend roster :cry:

Oh I'm totally seeing this post and I'm totally adding you when I get home from work in the morning.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I kind of have to agree with Roger Ebert on the games as art discussion. Although, he should have put more emphasis on how games, while not considered art, can still have many artistic qualities. Also, I think they are probably capable of becoming an art form in time.

Goddammit. NO.

Games either ARE or ARE NOT art. The medium cannot just "become" art because there's finally something that you can understand. Ebert's a fucking idiot. He said that games are not art because the audience has input. So like, the "authorial intent" is compromised by interaction. First off, that's bullshit right there; if a video game developer wants to have 100% control over something, he can. Example? "How does Metal Gear Solid 3 end?" There's only one answer to this question, because Hideo Kojima wanted 100% control over that. Precisely how do the specific battles go? Kojima could've scripted that as precisely as he wanted to (like Dragon's Lair), but instead he didn't.

Also, it's a bullshit copout to say "oh, this has elements or qualities of art, but it's not art." That's a cheapass copout, and I could pull the same shit with movies. "Sure, they have stories, and literature's an accepted art form, and they have photographic imagery, which is an art form, and they contain acting and possibly dance and music, which are art forms, but the overall thing is not art." That's shit. It's a way for someone to attempt to ignore valid points by making up a convenient, arbitrary rule that disqualifies a medium without debate.

Let's look at the definition of art. I'm going to pick from the dictionary.com entries.

"The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium."

Well, I have to say that games have certainly affected the sense of beauty as far as I can tell. I remember just staring at the scenery in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

"the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection."

Games are clearly aesthetic. People talk about how a game looks or sounds in the same way that they talk about how a painting looks or a song sounds. Sculptures are 3D works of art. Games frequently contain 3D models, which can easily be considered as digital sculptures.

I could go on, but it should not be necessary. Games are OBVIOUSLY a form of art, whether you like it or not. And no, they don't HAVE to look "just like movies" or any other existing art form. They are entirely valid as art, and the people who say otherwise are the same as the print-comic people who turn up their nose at webcomics.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Oh I'm totally seeing this post and I'm totally adding you when I get home from work in the morning.

:D

my existence is justified!

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Yeah, there aren't too many games out for it yet, but continually calling the Wii a "trend" or a "fad" is jumping the gun by a pretty wide margin

Obviously if the Wii dosn't instantly change the face of video games as we know them and do everything perfectly it's a mere fad and doomed to failure and Nintendo will go 3rd party.

God I hope you're joking.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    Also saying reviews are bad is igoring half of them. Wii reviews are very polarizing, I've noticed. Some people get it, while others don't.

Half the reviews say the games are bad

The other half say "they're not that bad."

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I'm sorry potatoe I take it all back. :cry:

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I'm sorry potatoe I take it all back. :cry:

*hug*

i'm sorry i had to yell, babe. let's never fight again.

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Killer 7 is a perfect example of how games can be awesome art.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007

and terrible games

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So is Wind Waker

Wasn't the greatest game, but damn was it pretty

Also, Okami

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i loved killer 7

until i got to a part where i would die every 5 minutes and then i stopped playing

i really need to get back into it

potatoe on
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    and terrible games
    yeah I was thinking the same thing

Kevar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

and terrible games

no way, that game was awesome. It was like a really good graphic novel, I couldn't put it down.
    And when I finally beat it after losing a couple days, I was pretty close to full on insane for a little while.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Kevar wrote: »
    and terrible games
    yeah I was thinking the same thing

it was like "oh hey, this story and premise sound really neat!"

then it's like "i don't think capcom realized this is a video game."

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    So is Wind Waker

Wasn't the greatest game, but damn was it pretty

Also, Okami

okami is one of the few games that i had no problem just sitting around watching someone play for hours on end.

but perhaps that is because she had boobs, sat on my lap, and had me beat the difficult parts for her

potatoe on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Son of a

What's the deal

Defender are you being paid to convince Wii owners that they aren't really having fun

That they are somehow having negative fun

Can't we have a Wii thread that you don't shit in

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    We also have to realize that gaming is a new medium. It started in the 70's; there's a long way to go yet, I think.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Well, hey, here's where I'm coming from.

The vast majority of Wii games are ports. Either VC stuff or ports from more current systems. So it's not doing anything new there, just consolidating.

The hardware's weak as shit. Sometimes, new things require better hardware. For example, being able to do realtime 3D graphics is a big deal, and many games rely on that. Also, faster processing speeds enable games like Warcraft and Starcraft to have big battles going on. Under older systems, that may not have worked.

The gesture-based controls seem to be awkward and tacked-on in most games, according to reviews. I don't have stats here, but look around at non-fanboy sites and you'll see it. Also, a lot of what I'm seeing are minigame collections like WarioWare and Cooking Mama. Cool use of the controller? Yeah. But...that's all there is to it. It's just a minigame collection. Only so many times you can play "roll the Wiimote sideways" before it's like "hey, I've done this already." Having an actual plot might help.

No online strategy whatsoever. Get with the fucking times.

You say how it hasn't "already" changed the face of gaming? Well it better hurry the fuck up, because with each passing month, developers are learning how to do bigger and better things with the other two consoles, and they're finding more and more roadblocks and weaknesses with the Wii. In three years, 360 and PS3 games are going to be way bigger and better-looking than they are now, whereas the Wii really doesn't have much room left for improvement. And waving your arms is gonna seem retarded. Also, all those "non-gamers" it was going to attract? 90% gamer girlfriends, I'm sure of it. The four of you whose mom and dad have played? They'll likely tire of it. They're non-gamers. They'll play casually, once or twice, but they're not gonna get INTO it.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    guys, it's not that hard to ignore defender if you don't agree with him

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Also saying reviews are bad is igoring half of them. Wii reviews are very polarizing, I've noticed. Some people get it, while others don't.

Half the reviews say the games are bad

The other half say "they're not that bad."

I love how you say that it's about people who "get it," Pata. Like it's the reviewer's fault for not seeing the genius of the game.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i sat down and played wii play for like an hour today because it was fun

then i caught up on the voting channel

then i played a bit more wii play

i wish they would make it so i could put in multiple discs so i didn't have to get up to change games, though

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Arcibi wrote: »
    Son of a

What's the deal

Defender are you being paid to convince Wii owners that they aren't really having fun

That they are somehow having negative fun

Can't we have a Wii thread that you don't shit in

Always somebody who has to make the tard point of "Defender's telling me that I'm not having fun" when in fact I never said it. Alternately, sometimes the point comes out as "Defender hates fun." I never said that.

Defender on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

By God, you're right

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited March 2007

i wish they would make it so i could put in multiple discs so i didn't have to get up to change games, though

Then you would have to excercise

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    I kind of have to agree with Roger Ebert on the games as art discussion. Although, he should have put more emphasis on how games, while not considered art, can still have many artistic qualities. Also, I think they are probably capable of becoming an art form in time.

snip

I'll just say that we can agree to disagree. The thing about authorial control is that you could spend hours in a game doing something that the author would not have intended for you to do. You could go off and get stuck in an area doing nothing but trying to jump at a platform repeatedly without ever really getting anywhere. Or you could be going on a long fetch quest in a game that has nothing to do with the main storyline. In both of those cases you aren't seeing anything that could be seen as artful, let alone something that you would look at and have the word "art" come to mind. The visuals and sound of a game can be very artistic though like Okami or Electroplankton for example. But while those artistic elements are there, everyone is still able to approach the game in a different way. Art is something where everyone has the same experience but could take away different things from that experience.

Ultimately though, I don't really think it matters because games are fun first and foremost. Having games called "art" is something that it seems that people would like because they hope it would in turn make people take games more seriously, but I don't think the definition really fits. Basically, my opinion of games doesn't suddenly become better or worse depending on whether they can be labeled "art" or not.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

By God, you're right

Just cover your ears and shout "LALALALALA" so that you don't have to deal with contradictory opinions. It's so much easier than actually thinking. Just stick your head in the sand.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Defender wrote: »

By God, you're right

Just cover your ears and shout "LALALALALA" so that you don't have to deal with contradictory opinions. It's so much easier than actually thinking. Just stick your head in the sand.

that's what i'm saying. some people almost need to do unless they want a heart attack
    they are really getting worked up over your words here, defender...you're going to kill someone

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just want to say this one thing though:
    It makes absolutely no difference how well or badly the wii does, or any Nintendo home console to come for that matter. No matter what happens, they will always have just enough fanboys who will make a console just barely worth the effort, and no one can weaken their stranglehold on the handheld market. Nintendo doesn't need anyone's help to be successful and they've proven it time and time again.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »

Then you would have to excercise

fuck that

also, i got a platinum on the duckhunt like game on wii play

i love that thing

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's ok potatoe

More of you to grope that way

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just want to say this one thing though:
    It makes absolutely no difference how well or badly the wii does, or any Nintendo home console to come for that matter. No matter what happens, they will always have just enough fanboys who will make a console just barely worth the effort, and no one can weaken their stranglehold on the handheld market. Nintendo doesn't need anyone's help to be successful and they've proven it time and time again.

that's where i come in

hell, i did a speech today on miyamoto and i even wore my "viva la miyamoto" shirt for it

i may be a bad speech giver according to the prof, but dammit i know how to get the audience talking about the topic.

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What do you guys think about that Mario and Sonic game?

I think it looks pretty cool myself. As far as third party goes Almost Heroes is one of the better looking games I would have to say. Although, I think Square Enix is still working on a Crystal Chronicles game too.

Rehab on
This discussion has been closed.