As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I seriously wonder what GB will be like 10 or 20 years down the road. It will be funny if they start getting grumpy and they rotate them out with younger people.

GB as a thing will probably be absorbed by Gamespot or die by that point.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Ceno
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I know he talked a lot of guff about the blue guys in Uncharted 2. I just figured he finished it eventually, especially when he was so okay with giving it GOTY over Batman.

And Naughty Dog assisted with Golden Abyss. Let's not split hairs

Wasn't he the one arguing against Uncharted 2 in 2009?

Splitting hairs? Naughty Dog barely had any involvement with Golden Abyss. Amy Hennig consulted on it and they shared some art assets, that's pretty much it.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I can't wait for the Game of the Year stuff because even looking past the games still to come it's going to be a pretty crowded list. Plus the extra catagories they think up are always fun.

My money's a Bioshock: Infinite vs GTA V fight for GotY, with TLoU as a possible dark horse. And hopefully Tomb Raider gets some props. It's currently in my top 3, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets lost.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hmm, I know he talked a lot of guff about the blue guys in Uncharted 2. I just figured he finished it eventually, especially when he was so okay with giving it GOTY over Batman.

Splitting hairs? Naughty Dog barely had any involvement with Golden Abyss. Amy Hennig consulted on it and they shared some art assets, that's pretty much it.

He was, but he eventually ceded victory to Uncharted 2

He and Vinny were pro-Batman, Brad and Ryan pro-Uncharted

I thought so, thanks for the clarification.

As for this year, given their preferences and assuming they get around to playing most of the games, I think it'll go something like:
    1. GTAV
    2. TLoU
    3. Saints Row IV

Oh crap, forgot SR4. Yeah, that'll be up there.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I'd be really surprised if Last of Us is a contender for top spots. The time it released means that not a lot of people played it, and the strongest arguers (brad) haven't gotten into it.

They all loved Devil may Cry and Gunpoint

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    LockedOnTarget

Yeah, and if I recall correctly, Jeff was completely okay with giving the award to Uncharted 2 over Batman.

It certainly was no Skyrim/Saints Row The Third argument.

Also,
    Anonymous asked:
    Settle an internet argument for me: have you ever finished a Naughty Dog game? Besides Way of the Warrior, of course.

Yes.

steam_sig.png

edited October 2013
    I'd be really surprised if Last of Us is a contender for top spots. The time it released means that not a lot of people played it, and the strongest arguers (brad) haven't gotten into it.

Like I said, assuming they finally get around to playing it.

Yeah, and if I recall correctly, Jeff was completely okay with giving the award to Uncharted 2 over Batman.

It certainly was no Skyrim/Saints Row The Third argument.

Also,
    Anonymous asked:
    Settle an internet argument for me: have you ever finished a Naughty Dog game? Besides Way of the Warrior, of course.

Yes.

Wait, you seriously asked him? I was joking. I just doubt he'll get around to playing TLoU.

Unco-ordinated on
    Well it seemed like a legit question

He indeed quit Uncharted 2 after the blue guys, and I don't recall him mentioning even playing Uncharted 3

I bet he finished a Jak and Daxter or a Crash Bandicoot

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Jeff once fought Shakey Jake for real and he counts that as Way of the Warrior 2

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Silky the Fairy and Saucepan man is still one of my favorite bits of all time. They were handed gold and turned it into diamonds.

• HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    They all Brad loved Devil may Cry...

...and I think Patrick played some of it too? Don't remember him exactly raving about it...

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular

I thought so, thanks for the clarification.

As for this year, given their preferences and assuming they get around to playing most of the games, I think it'll go something like:
    1. GTAV
    2. TLoU
    3. Saints Row IV

I think the messed up online will cost GTAV the top spot

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    This is a very interesting year for GOTY discussions. Jeff really liked Bioshock Infinite, Brad likes his indie darling (and Dota), Patrick really liked The Last of Us, and Vinny is kind of a wildcard (as always).

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    plufim wrote: »

That and, they also sound burned-out on things that come off as busywork in the story mode, and talking about taking cabs instead of driving, not a good sign when the game is this centered around driving and its huge expansive world that there's apparently not a lot to do within.

Saints Row IV won't take it either, but it'll help bring down GTA as well, because it's such a sharp contrast in terms of player freedom, from what they've been saying on the Bombcast.

The Last of Us, they're apparently still playing or wrapped up recently, so it'll be fresh in their minds.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It was a weird year for great games. My favorites this year have been Gone Home, Bioshock Infinite, Gunpoint, and Tomb Raider.

I'm not sure I see the GB guys arguing for any of those except maybe Bioshock.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »

That and, they also sound burned-out on things that come off as busywork in the story mode, and talking about taking cabs instead of driving, not a good sign when the game is this centered around driving and its huge expansive world that there's apparently not a lot to do within.

Saints Row IV won't take it either, but it'll help bring down GTA as well, because it's such a sharp contrast in terms of player freedom, from what they've been saying on the Bombcast.

The Last of Us, they're apparently still playing or wrapped up recently, so it'll be fresh in their minds.

I can't imagine Brothers not being at or near the top spot considering the glowing terms they've been talking about it in.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Hakunin wrote: »

...and I think Patrick played some of it too? Don't remember him exactly raving about it...

Vinny loved it too

And Patrick came around to it

And Jeff was very pleased with THAT boss fight, you know the one

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    It was a weird year for great games. My favorites this year have been Gone Home, Bioshock Infinite, Gunpoint, and Tomb Raider.

I'm not sure I see the GB guys arguing for any of those except maybe Bioshock.

Bioshock Infinite is great, but I think it speaks volumes that what everyone's really looking forward to is the Rapture-before-the-fall DLC. Can't imagine that kind of excitement over more story-driven stuff in Columbia.

It'd probably be my pick for GOTY, but there were many critically-acclaimed new games this year that I just never got around to playing.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I would like to know more about Columbia, but I loved Rapture, too. And it doesn't hurt that it's a detective story apparently. Also playing as Elizabeth in part 2 sounds great.

camo_sig2.png
    Ceno wrote: »
    This is a very interesting year for GOTY discussions. Jeff really liked Bioshock Infinite, Brad likes his indie darling (and Dota), Patrick really liked The Last of Us, and Vinny is kind of a wildcard (as always).

Is Patrick going to be a part of the GotY stuff this year? Aside from a Navarro-style call-in?

I'd like to see Patrick fly back for a day or two just for the GotY stuff if only because 5 people makes for better arguments. And this will be the first year for Drew, so that'll be cool.

Strange how open it is this year. Usually you can see what 2 games are going to be fought over ahead of time but this year there's already 4 legitimate contenders and there's still stuff we haven't played yet. (Who knows, AC4 might end up being amazing)

vegeta_666
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Patrick's said he will be flying in for GOTY shenanigans

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    minor incidentUndead ScottsmanUnco-ordinatedTwo Headed BoyShadowfirebficky
    Yay!

Unco-ordinated
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular

Vinny loved it too

DmC isn't going to win.

SCREECH OF THE FARG
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Pfft, Divekick is the GOAT.
    I have not played Divekick. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    For as huge as GTAV has been, nobody on the crew really seemed that excited by it. And having listened to the old GOTY podcasts from whenever GTAIV was out, there were a lot of similar complaints this go around, only the new stuff is even less fresh now than it was then. I think the only glowing remarks have been that Rockstar knows how to make a city feel alive, which is true enough, but there's been so much more exciting and interesting stuff this year that I see GTA getting knocked out of contention pretty quickly.

edited October 2013
    Shady3011 wrote: »

Vinny loved it too

DmC isn't going to win.

Won't even get into the top 5.

Unco-ordinated on
    SCREECH OF THE FARG
    edited October 2013
    But they do a top ten

And it is almost guaranteed to crack that

Oh well, it's in my top five

UnbreakableVow on
    I think DMC came out too early to be in any serious GOTY contention.

steam_sig.png

edited October 2013
    Like Mass Effect 2?

It's obviously not as impactful but I'll be happy just to see it somewhere on the list

Just like I was happy to see Sleeping Dogs crack the top ten last year

UnbreakableVow on
    Are you saying both games are roughly equal in "quality"?

steam_sig.png

edited October 2013
    Crosspost from the SE++ GB thread:
    Hey guys, Jeff wrote something on his Tumblr that was very interesting.

wrylys asked:Apparently the Day One: Garry's Incident devs didn't like TotalBiscuit's review of their game, which they provided to him, and claimed copyright to file a takedown request with youtube and had it pulled. Has anyone ever tried anything like that you with you guys over content you produced?
    He should be covered under fair use and should probably file a counter-claim to get that video back up.

(I am not a lawyer.)

We received a Cease & Desist over a Quick Look once. Again, that’s the sort of thing that would be a Fair Use sort of fight, but in the interests of having an open dialogue about that and future coverage, I decided to drop it rather than continuing to talk to our lawyers about a video that had already done most of the traffic that it would ever do. As soon as we took the video down, the company in question—who seemed interested in continuing to talk about us covering their products—went completely silent on us. And I doubt I’ll ever completely trust anyone from that company ever again. That’ll learn me!

Anyone have any idea what the Quick Look/game was in question?

edit: Ah, it was GTA4:TLaD

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    That Garry's Incident game looked absolutely utterly terrible anyway, but filing a copyright claim on youtube is like pulling out the nuclear arsenal (as you only get so many copyright flags against your account before you are totally fucked).

I am really curious why the GTA4:TLaD quick look got pulled. Anyone know?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    GTAV is going to be up there, but the way they that Brad and Vinny at least hit a point where they just weren't interested in doing any of the shit in that world and just wanted to get through the story, it isn't going to win.

Jeff rushed through the story at the end too, but he made it clear that it was because he was just way more interested in the story than any of the other shit going on.

Also, I have to wonder how many lists Brothers will actually show up on. How many of the crew will find ten games better than Brothers this year.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Also apparently the Garry's Incident thing has already ended with them withdrawing the copyright claim on the video due to the overwhelming backlash against the game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Also apparently the Garry's Incident thing has already ended with them withdrawing the copyright claim on the video due to the overwhelming backlash against the game.

Of course, them not doing any of this would have probably raised sales. Now they have the outcome they feared, that their shitty game would get panned.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.