Options

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    "You wanna put a shitload of cheese on anything you're makin'."

This is something I can get behind.

I'm looking forward to Dan's cookbook, "A Shitload of Cheese".

There's a constipation joke in there somewhere, but I just can't get it out.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Goddammit, Dan is better at making omelets than me

You say that, but the top, and then insides, of the omelette he made looked runny as hell.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Goddammit, Dan is better at making omelets than me
    Yeah, real talk: I have never been even close to flipping one that well.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Good gravy

Alien Isolation was so damn good

So good

I kind of doubt I'll get to play Shadow of Mordor this year, so - barring that - my current GOTY fight is between Mario Kart 8 and Alien

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Dirty Dine Ryckert

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I am pretty sure Dan Ryckert sprung, fully formed, from the head of Guy Fieri. Like some kind of awful greek god of shitty food.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    In his April Fools video, Dan's dad addresses him as "Ryckert". Makes sense if he didn't actually make Dan.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I am currently watching one of the Unarchived Streams on Youtube. Anyone know why Ryan Davis hated G.E. Smith so much? Is it just cause of his "white man blues face" that Ryan talks about? Cause all the things he mentions are things that make him hate G.E. Smith "more", but I don't know what the original impetus was for hating G.E.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    Ryan's alcohol-fueled rant about G.E. Smith is one of my favorite Giant Bomb moments.

FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Good gravy

Alien Isolation was so damn good

So good

I kind of doubt I'll get to play Shadow of Mordor this year, so - barring that - my current GOTY fight is between Mario Kart 8 and Alien

Yeah. We are getting an absurd amount of good games this fall and winter. It has been a great year for video games.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Sometimes I wish more people were laid back and freewheeling like Dan.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    by the way if you're curious about gamergate's response to giant bomb, you can just read the comments here

TL;DR Please take away all our advertisers. We are fine with going after new advertisers who cater to SJWs.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    by the way if you're curious about gamergate's response to giant bomb, you can just read the comments here

TL;DR Please take away all our advertisers. We are fine with going after new advertisers who cater to SJWs.

Gamergate is about ethics, you guys. Through blackmail.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the great irony is that advertisers threatening to remove their ads is the exact gaming ethics issue that got jeff fired in the first place

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I am constantly flabbergasted by the 'gaters responses to things.

Like I don't understand, assuming that there are actually people that just think that there is some serious corruption in gaming journalism and want to have a discussion about it, that they are so unwilling to give up the poisoned hashtag.

Like they complain about people saying "death threats are bad, and people are using this hashtag to justify death threats, if you want to have this conversation fine, but that's not what gamergate is", like the hashtag is some sacred object and by dismissing it, people are dismissing the whole idea of corruption in gaming

I don't understand it. Why not just say "Ok, fine, we'll drop the hashtag, let that go to the horrible mysogynists that is its public face now anyways, we'll start using #ethicsingames and not issue death threats, but let's have this conversation"

If they actually think that they have a point.

Except then the answer is "They don't have a point, they just do all hate women and are hoping for an excuse" which..... is probably true.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    If it ever was about corruption in journalism you would see people talking about journalist being flown to LA to see games by AAA developers instead of talking about a game made by one person that is free.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    They are stuck in a mindset that they were attacked by those articles and then scattered about to any place that would let them vent out their frustrations, then the rhetoric starts getting posting to them about how much their hashtag is under siege, its being lied about, you need to not take it sitting down, stand up and fight, send more emails to those advertisers!.

They straight up believe they are the hashtag now, its not just a tag, its what they identify as and if you say anything against the tag you are thereby saying things against them all.

I'm not even joking here, they believe they are in the right and even with news outlets and sites coming out against the tag as its been used for harassment they think that everyone else is crazy.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

All I can think of when reading that.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Crayon wrote: »
    seasleepy wrote: »

So, instead of continuously calling every person out all the time, does she offer solutions or just more wood for the fire?

A) Sounded like a solution to me: speak out against people terrorizing other people.

And

B) It's really not your place to tell the victims of abuse to "offer a solution, don't just add to the fire." If you think it is, you are wrong.

Fair enough. I disagree, but you've already positioned yourself in the camp that whatever I say or could say is wrong so there is no point.

Crayon on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The same reason Jeff didn't explain how to fix Kane and Lynch in his review.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    If it ever was about corruption in journalism you would see people talking about journalist being flown to LA to see games by AAA developers instead of talking about a game made by one person that is free.

And the worst part about it is that (from what I've gathered), lots of game reviewers haaaaaaaate that shit and would rather just be mailed a disc with the damn game on it.

And then some are surely taken in by it. So, I guess it works. The old hands still go along with it because how the fuck else do they get to cover these games if not on the terms of the people who control access to them? And the gullible young writers get wowed by this shit until they get old and jaded.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I find it extremely frustrating that there still seems to be no summary of events tying into this that is at least TRYING to be objective. Everything I've seen in terms of information is extremely biased towards one side or another. That or a general statement of "I don't know what's going on and I don't want to comment without solid knowledge", e.g. Total Biscuit.

I see Giantbomb as a whole or Patrick Klepeck himself taking a stand before, and I'd like to know where their info is comming from.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Luckily for Giant Bomb, they have a subscriber feature specifically so they don't need to rely on ads as much, if at all.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I find it extremely frustrating that there still seems to be no summary of events tying into this that is at least TRYING to be objective. Everything I've seen in terms of information is extremely biased towards one side or another. That or a general statement of "I don't know what's going on and I don't want to comment without solid knowledge", e.g. Total Biscuit.

I see Giantbomb as a whole or Patrick Klepeck himself taking a stand before, and I'd like to know where their info is comming from.
    Heres the thing

There is only one side worth reporting

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I love how these people just jump from surprise to immediate disgust when they hear Jeff thinks they're hobgoblins.

Like, Jeff is one of the most prominent figures for integrity in the entire industry, being someone who was very publicly fired for giving a game an honest review against the interests of Gamespot's advertisers and managers at the time. It's literally the reason why Giant Bomb exists, and because of the premium subscription model Giant Bomb is also probably the biggest games website that is the least reliant on advertisers.

And their response to Jeff blasting them isn't to stop and wonder if "maybe we're the baddies", it's to conclude that he's been bitten by a vampire and "turned" on them.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I love how these people just jump from surprise to immediate disgust when they hear Jeff thinks they're hobgoblins.

Like, Jeff is one of the most prominent figures for integrity in the entire industry, being someone who was very publicly fired for giving a game an honest review against the interests of Gamespot's advertisers and managers at the time. It's literally the reason why Giant Bomb exists, and because of the premium subscription model Giant Bomb is also probably the biggest games website that is the least reliant on advertisers.

And their response to Jeff blasting them isn't to stop and wonder if "maybe we're the baddies", it's to conclude that he's been bitten by a vampire and "turned" on them.

When you as an "organization" have stated, deeply engrained goals and absolutely no idea on how to take action upon them in a meaningful manner, it's a lot easier to just identify enemies instead.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

Heres the thing

This isnt helpful

What I mean is that the gamergate side has a worldview that isnt suppourted by reality

They say they are against harrasment while organizing on sites full of doxx information

They believe that minorities hold all the power in the industry

And they scream about SJW who dont actually exist

Having both sides represented equally would be like writing a paper on the history of britian and using the Lord of the Rings as one of you sources

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    The part that I find odd is that they even bothered mentioning gamersgate this late into the game. Hasn't it already pretty much been forgotten about? I know some people believe that being silent on the issue is somehow bad, but what about the old internet adage about not feeding the trolls? The only thing that debating the issue reasonably does is lend credence to the claims of the GGers to people who stumble into the mess without info on the backstory. It's like arguing creationism vs. evolution, everyone loses. You can't reason away people who believe in voodoo magic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    getting publicly shamed by people is a lot more effective at getting these people to go back to their holes. right now they think everyone is on 'their' side which is why the reaction to people like jeff, or tim schafer is surprise. people actually disagree with GG??

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    The part that I find odd is that they even bothered mentioning gamersgate this late into the game. Hasn't it already pretty much been forgotten about? I know some people believe that being silent on the issue is somehow bad, but what about the old internet adage about not feeding the trolls? The only thing that debating the issue reasonably does is lend credence to the claims of the GGers to people who stumble into the mess without info on the backstory. It's like arguing creationism vs. evolution, everyone loses. You can't reason away people who believe in voodoo magic.

Anita Sarkeesian cancelled a talk due to multiple credible death threats and no security like, a day before this was posted, and Brianna Wu left her home due to threats only a few days before.

Your definition of "forgotten about" is vastly different than mine.

• Options
    Hopefully, after the intel fiasco, Advertisers are less keen about doing anything these people ask.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

This would be true if GG was just a movement that spouted false rhetoric. If it was just a bunch of people on 4chan or Reddit drawing diagrams on corkboards and convincing each other that there is a SJW conspiracy to take away their video games, you're right; reporting on it would just give them more attention.

However, they aren't looking for attention. They're looking to drive what they, ironically, see as a negative influence on their games (and games-related media) out of the industry. And they're willing to go to extreme measures to accomplish that, whether people are paying attention to them or not. They rely on others being misinformed to recruit them to the cause and then use them as a shield to show that not everyone in the movement is a misogynistic harasser.

• Options
    It seems to me that someone really needs to build an alternative to the "ethics" portion of Gamergate, if for no other reason than to give anyone who truly does believe there's an ethics issue at play here a viable place to put up or shut up.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

These aren't trolls in the same sense, things are different from the 90s and early to mid 00s, people are increasingly relying on the internet for their livelihood while online services become interconnected and increasingly integrated in people's lives. If someone is sent physical letters we don't say they should just ignore it we say they should go to the police and if there was a campaign flooding many people's workplaces with physical letters and the police did nothing we wouldn't expect or advise them to remain silent, it would get in the news. Right now most police departments don't take internet harassment seriously and it's in part because of this idea that if you ignore it it will go away or it's just people "trolling", the only way for the law to start taking online harassment seriously is if we start taking it seriously.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    It seems to me that someone really needs to build an alternative to the "ethics" portion of Gamergate, if for no other reason than to give anyone who truly does believe there's an ethics issue at play here a viable place to put up or shut up.

The problem with that is that the GGers thrive on screaming about how they're being censored. You can't have a discussion about the validity of the claims regarding journalistic ethics without people bringing up grossly misogynistic points that are almost completely irrelevant. Then, in an effort to keep things civil, moderators step in and cull the blatantly offensive posts. This causes all the GGers to cry about how they don't have a place to discuss their issue, and how what ever forum or message board they're on is just in on the conspiracy.

Death threats are bad. If you see somebody threaten somebody, and it seems credible to you, you should report that to an authority with as much information as you can gather. Giving vitriolic hate mongers a forum to rage in, and possibly recruit new people is not helping anyone. The whole ethics thing is just a non-issue. It's been pointed out so many times that it's not worth it to point it out any more. The only people you are trying to argue with are the people who are so militantly involved that nothing you say will convince them away from their beliefs.

Sexual misconduct 101: The person who is in a position of power is responsible for sexual misconduct. Gaters like to focus on Zoe, but between a journalist and a game developer, the person who has the power is the journalist. The alleged sexual politicking was "sex for reviews." The journalist has all the power, and the journalist is responsible for any impropriety.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

Heres the thing

This isnt helpful

What I mean is that the gamergate side has a worldview that isnt suppourted by reality

They say they are against harrasment while organizing on sites full of doxx information

They believe that minorities hold all the power in the industry

And they scream about SJW who dont actually exist

Having both sides represented equally would be like writing a paper on the history of britian and using the Lord of the Rings as one of you sources

Yeah Blue I was about to say

When somebody holds the thought that two sides of an issue are stubborn and unwilling to talk, and you approach from one side with a very blunt no inches given statement, it just reinforces that idea. A part of communication is knowing your audience and modifying what you say to get the correct message through that lens. Doesn't matter if ones outrage is justified, it's bad communication.

I appreciate this followup, gotta show why one side is not perceived as worth reporting

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Crayon wrote: »
    Fair enough. I disagree, but you've already positioned yourself in the camp that whatever I say or could say is wrong so there is no point.
    The hypocrisy of saying "I disagree" and offering no further explanation after criticizing someone for saying something without embellishing further is just incredible. If this is the way you argue a point, then I recommend you stop.

Also, it's Anita fucking Sarkeesian: she has a YouTube channel full of her own proposed solutions.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also, I'm giving you all until the new thread to discuss this. I think five more pages is way more than sufficient.

If any new, Giant Bomb-relevant happenings occur after that, then we'll handle it as it comes.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Ignoring the bully is one of those things that may sound great in elementary school, but it doesn't work in the real world.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hopefully, after the intel fiasco, Advertisers are less keen about doing anything these people ask.

Intel still hasn't restored advertising to Gamasutra. They "apologized", but refused to return their ad buys.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.