As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant Bomb Thread: Remembering Ryan Davis.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    25 for me. All of the sudden eating a couple of bags of snacks each day while doing exams hit back.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Will this be the first time Most disappointing is also a very successful seller?

Nah

Assassin's Creed III was the best-selling game in the franchise to that point

Dragon age 2

liEt3nH.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It's been a light year for games, and Brad will absolutely fight to get Destiny in the lower portion of the top 10. Seeing as how he's going to be making his argument to a room full of people who are either indifferent or openly hostile to the game I predict the results will be LIVELY.

august on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The first 8 months of the year were pretty light. The holiday season is fucking packed.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Said it before, but Far Cry 4 is a real dark horse.
    AC Unity might be a surprise as well.

edited October 2014
    What else is coming out besides Far Cry 4? I forget.

august on
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    august wrote: »
    What else is coming out besides Far Cry 3? I forget.

AC Unity, Dragon Age Inquisition, Bayonetta 2, Persona Q, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Smash for Wii U

AtomicTofu on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Civilization: Beyond Earth is coming out this Friday.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I suppose it depends on what games you like. It's been a really good year for RPGs.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I can't really keep up with many of the new releases anymore. I'm not getting a PS4 or Xbox One anytime soon, my PC is competent but aging quickly, and I can't afford to make any changes at the moment. I wonder if I'll find myself listening to the Bombcast less and less as they cover more games I cannot play? Back when I started listening to podcasts (late 2007/early 2008), the latest systems I had other than a PC were a PS2 and Wii and an SDTV. Hearing all that talk about games I couldn't play eventually helped inspire me to upgrade to an HDTV and, over the next 2-3 years, get a 360 and PS3.

Now, though, I'm in a different living situation. I have no need to listen to tons of podcasts anymore. The Bombcast is all that is left from those days.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Well, not listening for the games doesn't mean you can't listen for the personalities.

AvalonGuard on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It's been a light year for games, and Brad will absolutely fight to get Destiny in the lower portion of the top 10. Seeing as how he's going to be making his argument to a room full of people who are either indifferent or openly hostile to the game I predict the results will be LIVELY.

It's going to be the exact opposite of the Saints Row 3/Skyrim debate, where Brad and Jeff could not agree with each other, and everyone else liked both games a lot and didn't really come down on one side or another, allowing Brad to just badger Jeff into a Skyrim win.

I like Destiny a lot, but I don't know how it could be on the Most Disappointing list (which it almost certainly deserves) and the GOTY list.

Hopefully Brad is smart enough to realize it would basically be like if he tried to argue for DOTA to be GOTY

edit: wrong quote.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to see Bayo2 take the top spot if just to watch the comments go nuts.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I'd be surprised if Brad tries to get Destiny into the top 10. With DOTA, you can tell he loves that game and thinks it's great, but with Destiny, you can see him trying vainly to come up with arguments for it, and his opinion basically boils down to letting Jeff slag on it and saying "Yeah.. but I just can't stop playing it for some reason!"

Like, he seem to actively acknowledge there's a level of shit there.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular

It's going to be the exact opposite of the Saints Row 3/Skyrim debate, where Brad and Jeff could not agree with each other, and everyone else liked both games a lot and didn't really come down on one side or another, allowing Brad to just badger Jeff into a Skyrim win.

I like Destiny a lot, but I don't know how it could be on the Most Disappointing list (which it almost certainly deserves) and the GOTY list.

Hopefully Brad is smart enough to realize it would basically be like if he tried to argue for DOTA to be GOTY

edit: wrong quote.

Because, at least mechanically, it's a lot of fun. The shooting is tight, the world is gorgeous, and the higher-level activities are fun to run through. I'm not wild about how few environments there are, but running through them to different places and taking part in combat against the different faction (even if the game doesn't do enough to flesh them out) is great.

It's disappointing to me because the story is super light and what is there is only available via the Internet instead of the game, nothing is really explained, and the load screens are large and frequent.

If I were writing a list it belongs on both of mine to be certain.

camo_sig2.png

The way I remember that going down was: Jeff and Vinny being 100% behind Saint's Row, Brad fighting them tooth and nail, and then Ryan saying "I love Saint's Row, but come on guys." and using his power as podcast host to decide the category for Skyrim.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'd be surprised if Brad tries to get Destiny into the top 10. With DOTA, you can tell he loves that game and thinks it's great, but with Destiny, you can see him trying vainly to come up with arguments for it, and his opinion basically boils down to letting Jeff slag on it and saying "Yeah.. but I just can't stop playing it for some reason!"

My prediction:
    1. Destiny is in Brad's top 10.
    2. Brad doesn't try to argue for Destiny in the overall top 10.
    3. Brad does argue against Destiny being "most disappointing" but not too hard and it ends up a runner-up.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Brad will bring it up for the top 10, but he won't fight very hard for it.

• seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I know people have gotten past this topic a bit, but I was going to go add my comments on Friday's letter on GB and discovered the thread had been locked, and man..... if you want to see a lady desperate to be heard and a bunch of folks desperate not to listen to her, check out the last bit of that thread. Brianna Wu kept engaging right to the end (and she is admittedly angry with the situation as a whole, and with GB for how they handled this and the previous blowup after the hiring) and the thing just gets unceremoniously closed a whole two days after the letter went up (most of which were a weekend!) with a "*dusts off hands* well, you guys have talked about this a whole lot, and we're done here now and maybe aren't going to allow anyone to bring this up anywhere else in the forums" from Rorie.

*sigh* If you wanted to prove her point about not actually wanting to have a discussion....

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    admanb wrote: »

My prediction:
    3. Brad does argue against Destiny being "most disappointing" but not too hard and it ends up a runner-up.
    A lot of that sounds pretty likely, but what could oust Destiny as most disappointing? Dark Souls II is maybe a bit of a letdown, and people don't seem as jazzed about Wasteland 2 and Evil Within as I thought they would, but I don't think there's been as big of a gap between hopeful expectations of Bungie's Next Big Thing and "wait, four levels and that's that? Am..am I playing the demo?"

Edit: Maybe Titanfall? It was decent, but I think a lot of people expecting to play it all year dropped it after a month or two.

Darlan on
    Darlan wrote: »

My prediction:
    A lot of that sounds pretty likely, but what could oust Destiny as most disappointing? Dark Souls II is maybe a bit of a letdown, and people don't seem as jazzed about Wasteland 2 and Evil Within as it thought they would, but I don't think there's been as big of a gap between hopeful expectations of Bungie's Next Big Thing and "wait, four levels and that's that? Am..am I playing the demo?"

SpaceBase DF-9 is a pretty disappointing one. I don't often buy into early access and when I did I didn't expect DoubleFine to be the one to let me down.

camo_sig2.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Brad is absolutely going to try and squeeze Destiny in at 9 or 10 let's not kid ourselves here

Destiny will at least come up, because it will be on that giant list they start out with at the beginning of the Best Game debate that consists of everyone's to ten games.

Jade Raymond has left Ubisoft, apparently. http://toronto.ubisoft.com/en/ubisoft-our-news/ubisoft-toronto-founder-jade-raymond-departs-to-pursue-new-opportunities

Seems like it was an amicable parting. I wonder where she's going to work now. (Indie start-up, maybe?)

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

My prediction:
    A lot of that sounds pretty likely, but what could oust Destiny as most disappointing? Dark Souls II is maybe a bit of a letdown, and people don't seem as jazzed about Wasteland 2 and Evil Within as I thought they would, but I don't think there's been as big of a gap between hopeful expectations of Bungie's Next Big Thing and "wait, four levels and that's that? Am..am I playing the demo?"

Edit: Maybe Titanfall? It was decent, but I think a lot of people expecting to play it all year dropped it after a month or two.

That part of my prediction is the one I'm least certain on. I'm about 60/40 on Brad arguing hard enough for Destiny that something else edges it out (Watchdogs?) and Destiny just taking it.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    0% chance dark souls 2 makes it onto the most disappointing list over games like titanfall or destiny

but man, titanfall, that's got an honest shot

i completely forgot that game existed until you mentioned it just now

liEt3nH.png
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

My prediction:

Watch Dogs.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I could see Watch_dogs as most disappointing.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09

My prediction:

That part of my prediction is the one I'm least certain on. I'm about 60/40 on Brad arguing hard enough for Destiny that something else edges it out (Watchdogs?) and Destiny just taking it.

Brad conceded that it was Most Disappointing (thus far) on last week's podcast.

The only way it's not going to take it unanimously is if Far Cry 4 makes people's consoles burst into flames.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    They straight up said last podcast that Destiny beats out Watch Dogs for Most Disappointing and everyone agreed

6F32U1X.png
    edited October 2014
    That is one thing I'll say about Dan; so long as you're not Jose Canseco, he's a pretty nice guy.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    They straight up said last podcast that Destiny beats out Watch Dogs for Most Disappointing and everyone agreed

Oh, I must of missed that.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    I didn't think Watch_Dogs was that disappointing other than the whole graphics flap.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    I didn't think Watch_Dogs was that disappointing other than the whole graphics flap.
    I liked it a lot, but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the hype and lead-up.

camo_sig2.png

I didn't play it but from what I've read
    -Being one of the first big next gen titles revealed, it was kind of the poster child for the next gen, and so when it came out and wasn't really anything that we couldn't have gotten last gen, it took it down a peg in a few peoples minds
    -Apparently the gameplay was pretty bog standard, and the hacking mechanic didn't add much to the third-person shooter open world gameplay.
    -The storyline and main character were described as terrible by several people.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Patrick particularly hated Watch_dogs. I'm sure he votes for it over Destiny as most disappointing.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    All of the games that were the tentpole "next-gen experiences" have been pretty lackluster

And meanwhile Shadow of Mordor just kinda snuck up there and delivered a revolutionary experience

6F32U1X.png
    Still for pure hype you can't beat (quoting Jeff here) "The developers of Halo, the publishers of Call of Duty, and a mountain of money."

This discussion has been closed.