As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Death and Dying

13»

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I hope that before I die that I will have lived.

I hope this for everyone else, too.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I hope that before I die that I will have lived.

I hope this for everyone else, too.

I also hope that I will have loved enough.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    My mother passed away when I was 3-4. Less than a year later, my father married another lady. Despite my suspicions (I was raised on fairytails with 'evil' stepmothers), they got together because of love, and are still together.

We don't talk about my mother, nor do we contact her relatives, whom I've been told were very close to us before my mother passed away.

Now, over 20 years later, I no next to nothing about her, and have never worked up the courage to ask my father about her, in case I upset him. It's gotten to the point as if she doesn't exist. I'm angry at my mom for 'stealing' my father, my father for not telling me about my mother, and myself for not bringing up the nerve to question his decision to ignore her. As far as I can tell, their marriage was a happy one, and there were no issues.

I just don't know why he dropped her memory, unlike everyone else who knew her.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    More than anything, I want to be able to be able to say to myself that I have left my own little sphere of influence better off for having me there.

I want to be remembered in the he thoughts and actions of my friends and peers as a Decent Bloke

Most of all I wanna be put on a Viking funeral boat, pushed out to sea and set on fire with ACDC's Big Balls blaring in the background

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    My mother passed away when I was 3-4. Less than a year later, my father married another lady. Despite my suspicions (I was raised on fairytails with 'evil' stepmothers), they got together because of love, and are still together.

We don't talk about my mother, nor do we contact her relatives, whom I've been told were very close to us before my mother passed away.

Now, over 20 years later, I no next to nothing about her, and have never worked up the courage to ask my father about her, in case I upset him. It's gotten to the point as if she doesn't exist. I'm angry at my mom for 'stealing' my father, my father for not telling me about my mother, and myself for not bringing up the nerve to question his decision to ignore her. As far as I can tell, their marriage was a happy one, and there were no issues.

Spoiling this, because I would hate to drop opinions or thoughts on something so personal, without their permission to be exposed to it.
    I could see losing a spouse crushing a person permanently, so maybe he's been able to cope because of it. He might think that you're all the memory of her that he needs, or at times can bear.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

Spoiling this, because I would hate to drop opinions or thoughts on something so personal, without their permission to be exposed to it.
    I could see losing a spouse crushing a person permanently, so maybe he's been able to cope because of it. He might think that you're all the memory of her that he needs, or at times can bear.

Oh absolutely, that's probably why. My father is a man who never expresses any emotions of sadness. I've never seen him cry, get drunk, or act despondent about anything. He's quite possibly the most emotionally stable of the family. I'm terrified that if I say something, his facade will crack and I'll just make him feel miserable.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    How topical. My wife's aunt just died.

I didn't really know her, nor did my wife, particularly, but it will be hard for her mother and family back in Canada.

In a way it is a bit of a relief, as she had suffered health difficulties all her life, back to when all the siblings were children, which had only got worse in recent years.

It was particularly defvestating because in adult life, she was too often exploited and taken advantage of by people more interested in their own well-being than hers, and she suffered because of it. Her enormous kindness and gentle nature were used against her, and her tale is marked by too much suffocation of potential, health, and happiness.

That said, she was loved and cared for by her family throughout, and was never absent or removed from those who loved her. It's a sad end to a life filled with too much tragedy, but she was, until the end, a person blessed with kindness in her life, both as a giver and a recipient. There are worse things.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    the more i think about liches, the more i think about what a blessing death is.

not right now. but eventually.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    liches, man

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    the more i think about liches, the more i think about what a blessing death is.

not right now. but eventually.

No way, man. I'd do anything to live for forever.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Living forever would be the goddamn worst!

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    liches aint nothing but poes and styx

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    my dad has a really hard time coping with my mothers death in 1989

he is from a strict scottish family who discouraged showing emotion, the polar opposite of mums family who all but raised me when she died

now my gramgrams in her 86th year, going blind and getting depressed since she lost grandad in 2011

making the most of the time I still have with her