As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] Discussion Round 3 - Fight!

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    SF4 finals were really good. The Hakan moment was by far the coolest. Still think the KOF finals were the highlight of the year, though.

Also, very much looking forward to Ultra SF4. I wish Q, Karin and Haggar had been among those added, but Elena and Hugo are cool in their own right.

Watching kof and sf4 makes me realize that however much I love Injustice it really isn't quite there as a competition game. Though in fairness it hasn't had a new edition every year for 3 or 4 years like those games either.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Smash and MvC make perfect counter-examples.
    If you take anything away from this year's Evo, it should be that what makes a competition game is people loving it.

For what it's worth, I thought Injustice looked very interesting and am sorta considering picking it up.

Sokpuppet on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Given Capcom's past history of laziness the 5th character is obviously Morrigan.
    kFtRPus.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    I still can't get over how sick that Infiltration - PR Balrog series was. Definitely my favorite moment of EVO this year.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I think the top 8 of mahvel were absolutely insane. Particularly with the multiple dropped inputs in the grand finals that led to like 4 turnarounds right in a row. KOF's finals were really exciting too. Really, every top 8 other than MK9 and Injustice was pretty exciting to me

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    SF4 finals were really good. The Hakan moment was by far the coolest. Still think the KOF finals were the highlight of the year, though.

Also, very much looking forward to Ultra SF4. I wish Q, Karin and Haggar had been among those added, but Elena and Hugo are cool in their own right.

Watching kof and sf4 makes me realize that however much I love Injustice it really isn't quite there as a competition game. Though in fairness it hasn't had a new edition every year for 3 or 4 years like those games either.

Which it makes up for by changing the game like once a fucking week.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    The top 8 of Marvel lived up to the hype. Holy fucking shit yes it did.

Edit: Also, fuck bullshit keepaway teams.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I tell you, I might hate Zero teams more. One touch aaaaaand you're already dead. It's like they put Kenshiro in the game, except not as cool.

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Given Capcom's past history of laziness the 5th character is obviously Morrigan.
    CPS2 Sprite Morrigan or bust. Beat'd by awesome.
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I tell you, I might hate Zero teams more. One touch aaaaaand you're already dead. It's like they put Kenshiro in the game, except not as cool.
    Best worst game of all time. And we never got it. Made by ArcSys, the GG, BB, Persona people. It's had side tourneys at Evo before, but like 3S you really need to watch Japanese players to get the full effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V3O9dDj4Ck

Column on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    :whistle: You wa shock! :whistle:

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    so viper and poison are now an item? did this happen in SFxT?
    me gusta

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    That sure is a shadow on Poison's stomach there.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    can't unsee now...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    reVerse wrote: »
    That sure is a shadow on Poison's stomach there.

Attention to detail.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I'm trying to catch some of the stuff that I missed on Friday and Saturday. Unjustified Gods or whatever it's called is really a shame. From everything I've heard and been able to watch it's actually a decent game, and it's great that there's a non-Japanese non-doujin or Street Fighter inspired developer making fighting games, but NRS really needs to get rid of all of their 3d modellers and animators. The game hurts to look at.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    I'm trying to catch some of the stuff that I missed on Friday and Saturday. Unjustified Gods or whatever it's called is really a shame. From everything I've heard and been able to watch it's actually a decent game, and it's great that there's a non-Japanese non-doujin or Street Fighter inspired developer making fighting games, but NRS really needs to get rid of all of their 3d modellers and animators. The game hurts to look at.
    You haven't seen MK9 finals then. Everything about Injustice, from gameplay to animation, is better than MK9. It's basically MK9 2.0 with DC superheroes...and Scorpion in a Jim Lee outfit.

I played MK9. I know exactly how ugly it is.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    im super excited to play as hugo in SF4!

You know, given that apparently most of the stages and characters are imports from sfxt, and so therefore this seems to be a 'lazy' update to get assets already in the engine into SF4, and given that the MVC3 models are lower poly to get more of them onscreen at once, I don't think that Haggar will be in even though he's obvious.

Instead I bet it'll be Asura in a continuation of that Asura vs Ryu/Akuma DLC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3KE-4KHrms

I would be.. ok with that actually.

It could be that, since Hagar is already mostly a Zangief clone, and they're also adding Hugo.

Or maybe they'll just whip out the middle finger and add Mega Man.

stream
    edited July 2013
    You know, given that apparently most of the stages and characters are imports from sfxt, and so therefore this seems to be a 'lazy' update to get assets already in the engine into SF4, and given that the MVC3 models are lower poly to get more of them onscreen at once, I don't think that Haggar will be in even though he's obvious.

People have been saying that since the announcement, and due to the backlash, Ono said it won't be Asura on twitter.

As others have also said, Ono loves to troll and distort words intentionally and unintentionally with his Engrish, but usually doesn't completely lie to us.

Everyone was banking on Asura till that tweet. Some still are, some aren't now.

He also said no fat megaman from SFxT.

Column on
  • MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Some of my favs in YouTube form.

First set of the King of Fighters Grand Finals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c2JvIUlW51Q

SFIV top 8: Haitani vs. GamerBee
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdf_fZcoPZQ

UMvC3 first set of Grand Finals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YQ5vA-SnN2E

UMvC3 top 8: Justin Wong vs. Chris G
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YtpA_FP9XBM

SFIV top 8: PR Balrog vs. Infiltration
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7XKYAayVY48

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Good timing, there is a Capcom sale going on on XBL. UMvC3 and SSF4:AE are both $15, 3rd Strike Online is $4, and SSF2HDR is $7, not to mention an assload of other Capcom games for $10-$15.

Column wrote: »

People have been saying that since the announcement, and due to the backlash, Ono said it won't be Asura on twitter.

As others have also said, Ono loves to troll and distort words intentionally and unintentionally with his Engrish, but usually doesn't completely lie to us.

Everyone was banking on Asura till that tweet. Some still are, some aren't now.

He also said no fat megaman from SFxT.

Pac man in Ultra!

I'd actually love to see some of the namco side characters in the SSIV engine, but obviously that is not going to happen.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Good timing, there is a Capcom sale going on on XBL. UMvC3 and SSF4:AE are both $15, 3rd Strike Online is $4, and SSF2HDR is $7, not to mention an assload of other Capcom games for $10-$15.

Yeah, I bought UMvC3 for 30 bucks 4 hours before it went on sale. Thinking of calling MS support and demanding the sale price.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    A little off-topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l2FeI5GMg0

It would have been interesting seeing this getting announced at EVO.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• ankaarneankaarne Registered User regular
    Ly2dr.gif

Hahah, I remember seeing that live. That was right after God King Wong went all ham on Flocker for the three character juggle infinite to reset the bracket. Such a sick combo it instantly kindled my interest in fighting games.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    *JWong's #1 fan.gif*

That kid is going to live in infamy for that. That should be the opening for any Evo2013 compilation/top 5 hype moments video.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Maybe next year we will see him as the president of his fanclub. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

It's funny, because Flocker won the title, but all anyone is talking about today is JWong and the match reset...and really, JWong was one dropped combo from taking the series. He had Zero dead to rights in that fifth game, and dropped it. If Zero had gone down, I think JWong would have walked away with it.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    i caught myself thinking to myself, "Man, if only he nailed a good combo, it would've been one hell of an evo Cinderella story!"

Then I realized I was thinking of Justin fucking Wong. Ain't nothing Cinderella about him winning.

Now Angelic and his whack Shuma team on the other hand...

He did nail a great combo, he just dropped the last juggle. After the amount of amazing infinites he hit that entire two sets, it was just one tiny slip up on the Storm link that cost him the match.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I guess that AE price is decent
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's funny, because Flocker won the title, but all anyone is talking about today is JWong and the match reset...and really, JWong was one dropped combo from taking the series. He had Zero dead to rights in that fifth game, and dropped it. If Zero had gone down, I think JWong would have walked away with it.

Well, the thing is JWong managed to come the way from losers, running through a bunch of teams featuring Zero and/or Vergil, Reset the bracket, and only lost because of a dropped combo. Also he did all this using a team that most people feel isn't that great.

Flocker won...but he won with Zero and Vergil so no one really cares.

Dragkonias on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    They were just straight-up exciting sets, regardless of who specifically was on each side of the console. Very fun viewing.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    As far as UMvC3 goes, in the end, I didn't care who won. I mean, given the statistics, Justin fought hard and deserved it, but at the same time, how many times has Justin won finals at other tourneys? The guy has a proven record. It was nice to see someone else win for a change. Also, no ChrisG or FChamp. Once they were sent packing, the finals got a whole lot more interesting for me.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Pfft.

Justin hasn't consistently taken tournaments since vanilla.

Marvel is one of those games I just don't understand. Like I can watch SF4, KOF, or SFXT and have a pretty good idea of what people are doing and why they do it even if I can't execute on that level, but MVC I look at a match and just glaze over.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Marvel is one of those games I just don't understand. Like I can watch SF4, KOF, or SFXT and have a pretty good idea of what people are doing and why they do it even if I can't execute on that level, but MVC I look at a match and just glaze over.

Lasers and 200 hit combos and Modok!