As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pacific Rim Sequel: This March Holy Shit it Happened

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Got a Captain Star vibe going there. I like.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    there's like a whole miniseries at that link
    go read it
    That series is why my Cherno Alpha 7" figure is riding a stuffed squid. There should be a picture of it somewhere in this thread.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I apologize for bumping an old thread, but I thought this might be of interest to somebody.

18" Eureka Striker coming soon.

NEC12641.jpg
    Preorder for $99.99

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I hope we get some more news about the cartoon show this year.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    go read it
    That series is why my Cherno Alpha 7" figure is riding a stuffed squid. There should be a picture of it somewhere in this thread.

...what.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    go read it

...what.

It's all my fault, and I regret nothing.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I mean, "my fault" implies that you did something wrong as opposed to simply carrying out Cherno's work

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    OK, I misread "I" as "the" there. The later would have been pretty astounding :D

see317 wrote: »
    I apologize for bumping an old thread, but I thought this might be of interest to somebody.

NEC12641.jpg
    Preorder for $99.99
    Instantly preordered. So far I haven't missed any of the figure releases. I even snagged the Comic Con exclusive ones! I just need to figure out where the hell I'm gonna put them all. I only have so much display shelving room and those 18" figures are huuuuuuge.

wWuzwvJ.png
    see317 wrote: »

Preorder for $99.99
    Instantly preordered. So far I haven't missed any of the figure releases. I even snagged the Comic Con exclusive ones! I just need to figure out where the hell I'm gonna put them all. I only have so much display shelving room and those 18" figures are huuuuuuge.
    I'll volunteer my shelf spaces to display your toys.
    You know, if you really need a place to put them all.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/25/8288085/pacific-tales-from-the-drift-comic
    Legendary Pictures has announced the details of its promised comic book tie-in to the Pacific Rim universe. Pacific Rim: Tales from the Drift will be written by Joshua Fialkov and drawn by Marcos Marz.

The question of whether Pacific Rim had made enough money to garner a sequel in a notoriously risk-averse Hollywood blockbuster environment (where risk and "intellectual property without a preexisting fanbase" are considered to go hand in hand) hung over the film for a long while after its release. But when news of a sequel did finally arrive, it wasn't alone. Guillermo del Toro confirmed that an animated miniseries would bridge the gap between Pacific Rim and Pacific Rim 2 — slated for release in 2017 — and that another comic book tie-in would be produced to flesh out the details of the setting that had to be left on the cutting room floor.

That comic book will be known as Pacific Rim: Tales from the Drift, a monthly, four-issue miniseries that will start up this November. Here's the description from Legendary Pictures' press release:
    Guillermo del Toro promised more adventures from the world of Pacific Rim - and he has delivered. Legendary is taking fans back to the frontlines of a larger-than-life battleground with Pacific Rim: Tales from the Drift, the official new comic series presented by director Guillermo del Toro and featuring a story from Pacific Rim screenwriter Travis Beacham. A continuation of the bestselling graphic novel Pacific Rim: Tales from Year Zero, the new Pacific Rim comic series will feature Jaegers never before seen in combat, squaring off against all-new Kaiju creatures.

Joshua Fialkov, a Harvey Award- and Eisner Award-nominated horror comics writer, will pen the book, based on a story by Travis Beacham, with art by Marcos Marz (Batman Confidential, Blackest Night: JSA). The announcement included two preview pages from the upcoming book, featuring the Japanese jaeger Coyote Tango and a kaiju (you can check them out at the bottom of this post). Legendary says the comic will be "presented by" Guillermo del Toro, not the most common of credits for a comic book, but it likely means that the director will have some creative input on the book, if not that Legendary simply wants to make sure his name is associated with it for press reasons.

Tales from Year Zero was a prequel, following the first appearances of kaiju in Pacific coastal cities, the creation of the Jaeger Program and the first kaiju encounters of movie characters like Idris Elba's Stacker Pentecost and Rinko Kikuchi's Mako Mori. The press release seems to indicate that Tales from the Drift will also be a prequel, perhaps delving into the backstory of Australia's father/son pilot team Herc and Chuck Hansen, or Russian pilots Sasha and Aleksis Kaidanovsky, whose brief appearances in the film became something of a fan sensation.

Looks like things are starting to heat up again on the Pacific Rim front.

I'm tempted to create an account there, just to let them know that that Jaeger is not Coyote Tango, but Tacit Ronin.
    Then I feel my neckbeard start to rustle, maybe a quiet purr, and decide against creating that account.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    So Japan is building a 250-mile long, four story high wall. They claim it's to stop tsunamis, but we know the truth. Wake up, sheeple! The kaiju wall won't work! Our only hope is to start the Jaeger program.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    So Japan is building a 250-mile long, four story high wall. They claim it's to stop tsunamis, but we know the truth. Wake up, sheeple! The kaiju wall won't work! Our only hope is to start the Jaeger program.

Gah! Kaiju are enough to deal with, we won't have resources to handle awakened sheeple too!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    BRB, putting in my PTO request.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, can I buy tickets?

How about now?

LEGENDARY JUST TELL THEATRES TO LET ME GIVE THEM MONEY!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    *goes to fandango*

F5 dammit F5 dammit F5 dammit F5 dammit

Why won't you let me throw my money at you?!? That's it, I give up!

F5 dammit

TheCanMan on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I can't wait.

You know how people are all, "OMG AVATAR 3D GREATEST YES".

That is how I feel about Pacific Rim and IMAX.

I've loved IMAX since I was a kid going to the history museum, who, like every single child of that era envisioned normal movies being shown in that scope.

Pacific Rim was the movie that I was imagining. I didn't know it yet. But it's everything I ever wanted to be shown on that screen, with that sound system, at that resolution.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That is oddly specific for two years out.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    lmao if you don't think Del Toro dosen't have a secret "Pacific Rim" folder outlining 30 odd movies.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    look what i found at my lfgs.

whats this? a fate mechanic game about our favorite genre? bought.

Cover+Logo-234x300.jpg

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    look what i found at my lfgs.

whats this? a fate mechanic game about our favorite genre? bought.

Cover+Logo-234x300.jpg

Please tell me we can somehow make that into a thread game.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    yes, its an RPG book that uses the FATE system. You got some 6 sided dice, some with +'s some with -'s, and then blanks and you roll em and you determine the result. I've not read into the book in depth yet, but it leans heavily anime, but its FATE, and its easy to flip the flavor back to western.

but yes, you make a pilot, you make a mech and you go face roll some kaijus...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    yes, its an RPG book that uses the FATE system. You got some 6 sided dice, some with +'s some with -'s, and then blanks and you roll em and you determine the result. I've not read into the book in depth yet, but it leans heavily anime, but its FATE, and its easy to flip the flavor back to western.

Eh, western mechs don't really exist anyway so idgaf. Either way I would play the shit out of this.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Eh, western mechs don't really exist anyway so idgaf. Either way I would play the shit out of this.

Does Mechwarrior count?

They run on nuclear reactors instead of friendship or the blood of Christ, so that's pretty western.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    did someone say Western Mech?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpmfQRUx2-Q

edited April 2015
    Cantido wrote: »

Does Mechwarrior count?

They run on nuclear reactors instead of friendship or the blood of Christ, so that's pretty western.

Not really since Battletech is infamous for the Unseen which are all copies of Macross stuff and other old animes and more than a few mech designs are inspired by those IPs. Battletech was basically originally "Mecha Fanboy: The Tabletop Game."

In thread related silliness: I recently moved to a new apartment and finally got to bring the full fury of my Pacific Rim army to bear.

Thread, welcome to the Shatterdome.
    u9NcZhF.jpg
    nn6valO.jpg
    JD6mipk.jpg
    Sadly, I had to give the squid back when I moved, but oh well. I'll get Cherno a new one at some point. 18" Striker Eureka will be joining the crew when I get home from work and I've now got a replacement for the 2nd version of Knifehead that died during the move.

EDIT: Geth knows what's up.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    What The Fuck

Pacific Rim 2 is on hold indefinitely. Filming was apparently supposed to start in November. Why does this happen to all the good movies?

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Because Universal is so risk averse that they even marked Duncan Jones' Warcraft movie as "risky endeavor".

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm guessing they tried to make it more China than before which means crazy demands.

Or they made cooler robot designs and then the script said for all of them to be destroyed in two minutes so Gypsy Danger could still be super stupid and hogging up all the time yes I'm still miffed at that.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Or maybe Del Toro is just toxic somehow. Dudes had enough movies cancelled at this point I can't blame just the studio for it.

I ate an engineer
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    One of the articles I read suggested that it had to do with Legendary trying to shift the King Kong prequel to Warner Bros. (which would make it easier to set up a Kong vs. Godzilla movie), and a friend of mine seems to think it has to do with apprehension about Crimson Peak in the box office.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    God damn it. I knew there was a reason I dreamed about Pacific Rim this morning (actually probably more to do with it popping up on my music playlist at work). Still. FATE.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Both valid points, Crimson Peak looks like it will be spooky but not broad enough for October horror moviegoers (with a budget that a studio could have made 20 paranormal activities with), and whatever deal Legendary had with WB can still gum up the works unless a trade is basically made.

There does always seem to be Del Toro drama too, on pretty much everything.

What The Fuck

Pacific Rim 2 is on hold indefinitely. Filming was apparently supposed to start in November. Why does this happen to all the good movies?
    de6e150d779a12b87991b8af2fd9655f.png

I need so many hugs right now. ;_;

wWuzwvJ.png
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I need that rocket punch and rocket kick combo on the big screen!!!!! ;(

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Between this and Silent Hills I just want to give GDT the biggest hug. We can all hug him. And then have ice cream. And cry.

There should probably be alcohol involved too.

First round is on me.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    God dammit.