As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two's Company, [Number Two]'s a Crowd

13»

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    You are going to have to start reading the labels of everything you buy. If it contains any milk product (milk, cream, whey, casein) don't eat it. I'm curious why you thought something like the smart balance butter was any better than regular butter in this case; looking at the ingredients on their website, the first one is still cream and it's definitely not lactose free.

It says "100% Dairy Free Butter" right on the container. Not just lactose, but dairy-free.

Now that I know there's a difference, this whole thing got significantly harder. I thought I had some hope with lactose-free cheese, but giving up cheese entirely is tough. Even tougher is having to be paranoid about nearly every single thing I eat: I was going to have burgers today, and skipping the cheese is one thing, but then I worry if the burger bread itself is dairy (it says "May contain traces of milk and eggs" on the packaging).

For sanity's sake I'll stick with the lactaid milk; it was recommended by my doctor, and regardless of my continuing symptoms, I have improved a bit (far less trips to the bathroom; the bloating is the main, persisting cause) since I've taken it. If I don't improve any further in a week then I'll cut that too.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Lactose is a sugar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose

When you see an -ose, that's a sugar

When you see an -ase, that's an enzyme.

V1m on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Even tougher is having to be paranoid about nearly every single thing I eat: I was going to have burgers today, and skipping the cheese is one thing, but then I worry if the burger bread itself is dairy (it says "May contain traces of milk and eggs" on the packaging).

As long as the ingredients on the bread don't include any of those dairy derivatives listed on the last page it should be fine. "May contain traces..." is because it's processed on machines that process breads with milk and eggs. Unless someone has a true allergy (the anaphlaxis, throat closing kind) it's not a concern.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    And just a heads-up, non-dairy creamer still possesses sodium caseinate, a casein (that's a milk protein) derivative, so I would hold off on that too.

Try soy or almond milk for your coffee for the time being.

• Options
    MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    It says "100% Dairy Free Butter" right on the container. Not just lactose, but dairy-free.

Ok, then yes, that one should be ok. I was looking at the original smart balance which was a butter blend.
    Now that I know there's a difference, this whole thing got significantly harder. I thought I had some hope with lactose-free cheese, but giving up cheese entirely is tough. Even tougher is having to be paranoid about nearly every single thing I eat: I was going to have burgers today, and skipping the cheese is one thing, but then I worry if the burger bread itself is dairy (it says "May contain traces of milk and eggs" on the packaging).

Personally I don't worry about the "may be processed in a facility that processes milk" type warnings that come on some packages and I haven't run into significant problems from it. If there's is a dairy product in the ingredients, I avoid it, but otherwise I still eat it if it is processed in the same facility as dairy.

Btw, just in case you are not aware, eggs are not dairy. I know they appear (or used to appear) on the food pyramid in the dairy section, but since they are not made from milk, they are perfectly fine for people with dairy intolerance or allergies to eat.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Does that include all types of eggs?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Can you elaborate on what are the "different types" of egg for you ? It shouldn't make a difference, but I guess people are unsure of what you mean and don't want to mislead you. Furthermore, I think your answer can give insights on your diet.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Sometimes if you order certain egg dishes at a restaurant (or at my house) such as "scrambled eggs" or "omelets" even, milk will be added to increase volume and fluffiness. You might have to request from some places that they not add milk or just order a clearly only egg item like "basted" or "over-easy".

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    At this point Snuggs, given some of the questions you've been having, just use this thread as a food diary.

It would be easier for us to advise you.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Ok, then yes, that one should be ok. I was looking at the original smart balance which was a butter blend.

Personally I don't worry about the "may be processed in a facility that processes milk" type warnings that come on some packages and I haven't run into significant problems from it. If there's is a dairy product in the ingredients, I avoid it, but otherwise I still eat it if it is processed in the same facility as dairy.

Btw, just in case you are not aware, eggs are not dairy. I know they appear (or used to appear) on the food pyramid in the dairy section, but since they are not made from milk, they are perfectly fine for people with dairy intolerance or allergies to eat.

The food pyramid is one of the biggest lies I regret believing as a child. It was developed by and for the Dairy Farmers of America, seemingly as a propaganda machine to increase milk and butter sales. The idea of requiring 4 servings per day of "dairy products" is kind of insane.

Professor Snugglesworth - Going without dairy isn't that hard. There's gotta be plenty of foods you like that don't have cheese or butter in them! This gives you an excuse to try new, exciting foods. Most Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean and Indian foods contain zero dairy, so go nuts! Try some!

If anyone knows any glaring examples of Asian foods that do contain dairy, I'd be interested to know!

• Options
    MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    A lot of Indian foods are made with yogurt, or have paneer (cheese) in them. So you have to be careful there. Also some American-Chinese foods are deep fried in batters that contain milk products. Otherwise, Asian food is among the safest for me to eat, particularly Thai since they typically use coconut milk for their curries.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    A lot of Indian foods are made with yogurt, or have paneer (cheese) in them. So you have to be careful there. Also some American-Chinese foods are deep fried in batters that contain milk products. Otherwise, Asian food is among the safest for me to eat, particularly Thai since they typically use coconut milk for their curries.

Stir-frys and curries are super easy to improvise, too, which is nice because you can put almost anything you like in them and know exactly what you're eating.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Time for some updates.

The sample came back negative for parasites and anything of the sort.

I also didn't improve one bit from skipping dairy or lactose, so I gave up on that. I'm back to regular milk, cheese, etc.

The good news is I may have discovered a life change that so far seems to be working on making my episodes less frequent, or less painful.

For one thing, I'm getting up earlier. I tend to be the late night/afternoon waking type, so I've switched to getting up earlier and starting things off with coffee (and occasionally toast).

I then proceed to walk for 30 minutes (hoping to turn that into running once I get some stamina back). I come home and have cereal (Honey Nut Cheerios for now). By this time I'm ready to do my business and then shower.

Afterward, I have lunch. Before I would have a ham and cheese sandwich with chips. I've now replaced that with smoothies, particularly banana smoothies with vanilla Activia mixed in. It goes down smooth (in which I then come to the late realization of "ooooh, so that's why they're called smoothies") and leaves me full for a good 3 hours or so.

Afterward I'll have a small snack, usually peanut butter on bread or crackers. Then dinner, with more vegetables mixed in.

It's been a week but so far my experiences have been less frequent and/or less severe. I still have the occasional cramping or repeated bathroom trips. In one reverse instance, I spent a lot of time frequently going number 1, which I'll gladly take over frequent number 2s.

But yeah, I think this is doing it. Heck, I've even recently had my usual late light snack and felt totally fine afterward.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    "Then dinner, with more vegetables mixed in."

What's the typical vegetable mix here?