As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ghost Stories: A Haunting [Mini Phalla] - Wu Fang Wins!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    vertroue wrote: »
    Phypy!!

Vert!

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Mine is easy to shorten and not sound funny

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    Butbut I am not a ghost just a birdie

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    vertroue wrote: »
    Butbut I am not a ghost just a birdie

So, thus far, here are our specials:

kime: Haunted Mansion
    Vertroue: Ghost Eagle

• Options
    Heheh I approve this.

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I see CB and instantly think "Casus Belli"

Someone's been playing a little too much Europa Universalis, I'd wager.
    There is no such thing as too much Europa Universalis.

• Options
    Especially not in a few weeks when 4 comes out

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    Did they ever fix the France AI in EUIII? I always had trouble when France wasn't a player.

Tangentially related, but I saw Civ V on a friend's machine last weekend. It looks really good. Is it? He was saying the latest DLC is kinda amazeballs.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    I see CB and instantly think "Casus Belli"

Someone's been playing a little too much Europa Universalis, I'd wager.
    There is no such thing as too much Europa Universalis.
    Crusader Kings 2 for me.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Did they ever fix the France AI in EUIII? I always had trouble when France wasn't a player.

Tangentially related, but I saw Civ V on a friend's machine last weekend. It looks really good. Is it? He was saying the latest DLC is kinda amazeballs.

5 started weak unless you liked infinite city spam and archers, but it's at a pretty good point now. Tons of moving parts I don't totally comprehend yet given my limited time to mess with the expansion, but it does give you things to do that don't involve the military other than watching your culture tick upwards.

• Options
    You mean that game what is currently in Steam's flash sale? So tell me about CK2. This 12-player Amber game I've gotten myself into has a lot of downtime, and there's only so much reading and making small talk I wanna do. I kind of suspect Civ won't run on my laptop since it's 3 years old and just a Macbook Air. Crusader Kings, on the other hand...

• Options

Fix how?

• Options
    You mean that game what is currently in Steam's flash sale? So tell me about CK2. This 12-player Amber game I've gotten myself into has a lot of downtime, and there's only so much reading and making small talk I wanna do. I kind of suspect Civ won't run on my laptop since it's 3 years old and just a Macbook Air. Crusader Kings, on the other hand...
    If you're anything like me, CK will be a Tomahawk missile aimed directly at your cerebral cortex.

It's a little tricky at first (Paradox games, ho!), but once you get the hang of how dynasties work you'll be marrying into powerful families and killing off entire lines of Succession to place your family members on foreign thrones.

And every once in a while your king will be murdered and you'll get to take over as the guy who just killed you.

Currently Playing:
  • Options

I haven't played nearly as much CK as I have EU but it's a really cool game. It's set in medieval Europe and the Near East, and you play, not as a nation, but as a lineage. It's all about interactions between various people, and you have enemies both close and far, with everyone scheming for their own power/weath/prestige. Oftentimes your biggest problems come from your subjects. Your younger brother, who you dote upon, who you have elevated greatly? He wants to kill you and take your throne. Your lovely new wife? Well, she probably doesn't want to kill you, but once the two of you start having kids don't be surprised if your sons from a previous marriage start having "accidents" while hers move up the line of succession.

One of the most interesting things about CK is the way friendly relations sour. You get friendly with a neighboring ruler, so you have your kids intermarry, increasing the friendship. But then the children of that union get claims on both crowns, and have a falling out, and as soon as each realm's ruler dies, the kids start squabbling. When it finally gets to grandkids it's an all out hatred, since the claims will be expiring and the relationships that started the ball rolling are long forgotten. It's the kind of game that requires an ability to immerse yourself, because as a "click buttons, do mental math, make decisions" sort of game it's a little on the light side. But if you're the kind of person who personalizes games, who likes to imagine the world you're playing in, it's kind of magic.

• Options
    I couldn't 100% get the hang of Crusader Kings in the time I gave it, but it's a neat game. Probably I just wasn't playing it well but I felt pretty helpless to affect much.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

Fix how?

In base EUIII, at least ages ago when it came out, AI France would just find you and punch you in the nose and take all your milk money. Even halfway around the world, they'd just show up in your happy little Inca empire well before 1492 and run off with your women and your quinoa. So rude.

• Options
    The French agribusiness complex needed a super-food to counter the lost business from the Black Plague, probably.

Now back to Ghost Village?

I'm currently holding my water-buffalo's string in a rice paddy, dunno about the rest of you.

• Options
    O dam, guys, you make CK2 sound awesome. Sometimes I love managing all my provinces' taxation levels and imports/exports, but sometimes I just want to pull strings and watch drama unfold. Is it worth getting all the expansions? Steam has just the base game right now for $10, or the whole enchilada for $20.

• Options
    I only have the base game, but I hear that not every expansion is worth it. That said, for 20 bones, you might as well get the whole thing and just activate the DLC that's had the best reception (Sword of Islam and the recent Old Gods spring immediately to mind).

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    I only have the base game, but I hear that not every expansion is worth it. That said, for 20 bones, you might as well get the whole thing and just activate the DLC that's had the best reception (Sword of Islam and the recent Old Gods spring immediately to mind).

Hmm, well maybe- ow ow stop twisting my arm okay fine, geeez! Boughten!

Which is good, because since you decided to day 1 me here, now I'll have something to do if I get tired of haunting you forever!

---
    PS: You could buy just the DLC for $12.50. Old Gods alone costs more than that normally (Old Gods = Viking Mode omg!). #justsayin

• Options
    Dude, CK2 eats enough of my life as it is.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Viiiikiiing Moooode!

Just imagine, maybe you could create this headline: The College of Cardinals has elected Erik Bloodbeardisson the next Pontiff. Holy Roman Emperor replies, "I got nuthin'."

• Options

Fix how?

In base EUIII, at least ages ago when it came out, AI France would just find you and punch you in the nose and take all your milk money. Even halfway around the world, they'd just show up in your happy little Inca empire well before 1492 and run off with your women and your quinoa. So rude.

It happens less, but historically France was always one of the big powers on the continent anyway

• Options
    Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    OminousLozenge just remembered i haved voted yet. Been reading y'all talk about games I've never heard of but now i want buy 'em!

• Options

Fix how?

It happens less, but historically France was always one of the big powers on the continent anyway

Totally fair, although how they manage to completely dominate the other supposed powers when the AI is behind the wheel was cause for quite a bit of uproar even about a year after the game shipped. Generally the game does a decent job of modeling history, but some bizarre confluence of data seemed to give France an edge. For my part, I just wanted to break with history and have Europe become the New World. Looking back, the EU franchise isn't really the place for that kind of what-if'ing.

• Options
    Medieval: Total War was shockingly resistant to my efforts to reconquer Europe and reforge the Roman Empire with the Byzantines as well. It was actually quite funny to get rolled by Ghengis Khan and an army trying to restore the papacy to the Catholics simultaneously. A lot of the historical simulation games are quite frustrating that way.

Seriously, though: ghosts, China? :D

• Options
    Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I think this mini is turning into a gaming thread. Haha! But Yes i believe we should discuss all the ghosts and stuff. :)
    Not that i mind though learning a lot.

Buddha73 on
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Let's see... I don't see any of my fresh grudges on the player list. Disappointing.

Hey, Iron Weasel! How come we don't talk no more?

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Medieval: Total War was shockingly resistant to my efforts to reconquer Europe and reforge the Roman Empire with the Byzantines as well. It was actually quite funny to get rolled by Ghengis Khan and an army trying to restore the papacy to the Catholics simultaneously. A lot of the historical simulation games are quite frustrating that way.

Seriously, though: ghosts, China? :D

There are some bad ghosts you guys. They could be anyone. We should get rid of them via random and/or grudge votes.

I wonder what the "other conditions" are that allow for a successful haunting.
    There we go; now everything with any game relevance has been said. Happy now?

• Options
    Happier!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Langly

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Langly

The romance is over.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Or he's hoping that "voted for you," is a haunting condition so they can be together... forever.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    vote closes tonight or do we have an extra day?

either way, vert

• Options
    Don't vote for Ghost Eagle. Welcoming someone back by taking them out immediately is dumb.

Pretty sure due to the lack of a "vote closed," four hours ago we're ending Day 1 Tuesday at 10 EDT.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    its a welcome back vote.

to show I'm thinking of them

• Options
    Awww Obi I feel the love!

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    Well I think in all fairness he stilm holds me to the Starwars phallas he first played in.

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i've been dropping day 1s on langly now and then for a bit now

eventually i'll need to do it and have it not be suspicious i'm sure so seed it early

also thomas was alone wasn't that amazing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    next you're going to say you don't even really like turtles all that much

KGMvDLc.jpg?1