As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mechwarrior Online: OLD THREAD IS OLD, GO AWAY!

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Victor tactics-

If you see a ton of lasers and missiles, aim for their left torso. Otherwise the right. Only weapon on the right side is the ballistics arm.

And go for torsos, not arms. Easier to hit and if they have an XL, it's a kill.

Gnome-Interruptus
  • imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Im swooning over the Victor. So versatile. Excellent speed if you want it, big dakka is an option, missiles - sure, lasers - check. Its got it all on a heavily armored jumpjetting platform!

How quick are the Victors? I keep hearing that they are like smaller Highlanders; I like my Heavy Metal but I wish it were quicker. Woult a Victor essentially be a faster, lesser armored Highlander?

Opinions are funny. I can go to one place and hear that Victors are complete crap, go to another place and I hear that they are awesome. I think it's more of a "what works for you" kind of question, and some things work out better in actual play than they do on paper.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    All the regular Victors move at 64kp/h stock, and their biggest engine is a 385 to move at 78kp/h without speed tweak.

The Dragonslayer is a little faster and can carry a 400 engine to move at 81kp/h without speed tweak.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »

That would be awesome if the joystick was lefthanded and you could use a mouse on the other hand. Seriously, who aims with a joystick? It's just such a disadvantage over using a mouse. I love my Joystick-and-Mouse config, but I could never use only a joystick, I'm sure.

Too bad nothing ever came of it, eh?

Can you outline your joystick + mouse setup? Are you using a joystick or a throttle (or a combo)?

Gladly. I'm using an old Saitek Cyborg X joystick, recently rebranded as Cyborg F.L.Y. 5 (which was about 30€ when I got it in retail x years ago), in my left hand, and a mouse with in effect 6 usable buttons in my right hand. I'm right-handed, for the record.

I have the two main joystick axes bound to analog throttle and turning. I'm not using the Z rotation or throttle at all - haven't found a use for the Z rotation yet, and using the throttle would require an additional hand, which unfortunately I do not yet possess. I have three of the main joystick buttons bound to firing groups 1-3, as I rarely use more than 3. The hat switch has a few functions bound to it, most importantly jump jets to a direction that I can push with my thumb while still retaining access to all three firing groups, but also free look, and a few others I can't remember because I use them so rarely that I just push the buttons on the keyboard instead. Another of the joystick's top buttons has shutdown override bound to it, but I really need to learn to use that override at all.

So, in summary: the joystick controls weapon firing and leg movement/turning, and miscellaneous functions. Now, my mouse setup is a bit different from what you'd be used to. I have zoom bound to mouse 1, and switch target to mouse 2. Heat and night vision are bound to scrollwheel left and right (it's one of those scrollwheels that let you tilt it to the sides), and on the side, the thumb buttons have my vent push-to-talk key and arm lock toggle. This means I essentially have all controls needed for aiming and target acquisition in my right hand, and all else in my left. Left hand controls leg movement, right hand controls torso aim.

I've used this for probably about half a year now, and I don't think I want to go back. Analog throttle and turning are just way too nice to give up, and all in all it's become really intuitive to use.

Kashaar on
    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
    ElvenshaeNinja Snarl P
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Opinions are funny. I can go to one place and hear that Victors are complete crap, go to another place and I hear that they are awesome. I think it's more of a "what works for you" kind of question, and some things work out better in actual play than they do on paper.

Victors aren't overpowered, but they can be used effectively and don't have mile-wide CTs like Awesomes. They also have jumpjets, which increases their overall mobility and survivability.

But they're not really much smaller than highlanders. Maybe a little shorter, but they're actually wider with those giant arms of theirs. Speed is their #1 strength, which is why most Victors you'll run into will have XL engines. Or standard engines with a terrible weapon loadout.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Sounds cool @Kashaar

But what is the problem with running a stick for the aiming/torso? What about a gamepad? Are they not as accurate?

Capsaicin on
    capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    Here's an idea.

Make the PPC minimum range, force zero damage again. Within 90m, zero damage.

Make the PPCs switchable from "Field Inhibitor On", to "Field Inhibitor Off". Turning the FI off, will screw with your electronics when you shoot it, but will make the minimum range 0m. Screwing with your electronics forces things like your sensors to screw up (mini map, targeting, seismic) but also does things like not allow you to open missile doors (not shoot missiles), temporarily shuts off ECM, but also disables Gauss since it relies on it's own magnetic (electrical) fields to operate. Cooldowns for other weapons pause during this time.

Say the electrical field feedback lasts .5 seconds. Fire two PPCs with the Inhibitor Off, and it's 1 second.

Do ERPPCs have Field Inhibitors? How can they have an effective minimum range while having one?

I can see leaving standard PPC heat alone, but making the 90m range dropoff more severe. Then I'd be fine with balancing ERPPCs by just making them really, really, really hot.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Running UAC5s on my jaeger and I am just not feeling it. I have a bad relationship with the jam rng and I miss the big boom of my ac10s.

Last game dueling with a catapult, 50% of the fight I was shooting 1 or no UAC5s because they were jammed. Just annoying. But that is the trade off.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Sounds cool @Kashar

But what is the problem with running a stick for the aiming/torso? What about a gamepad? Are they not as accurate?

The very thought of trying to aim with a joystick or (shudder) a gamepad makes me want to smash my hand with a ball peen hammer.

Kashaar
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Please don't hammer anyone's balls or Owen.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Gaslight wrote: »
    Sounds cool @Kashar

The very thought of trying to aim with a joystick or (shudder) a gamepad makes me want to smash my hand with a ball peen hammer.

Yeah. It's like playing first person shooters with a gamepad. Mouse aiming is orders of magnitude quicker and more precise.

• KusmerogluKusmeroglu Consumer Glue (aka Petra) Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I will say that having light and heavy hardpoints sounds pretty neat. It would give the mechs a *lot* more diversity between variants if the heavy ports were positioned differently around the mechs.

PGI has said they don't want to do this, but I agree that the mechs variants could use a lot more diversity. I brought this up in the last pod cast: what about changing the max alpha boating limits for different variants? Kind of a softer version of the limiting hard points idea.

Edit: I'm very sad that I missed the LBX conversation. Kablam!!

Kusmeroglu on
    x5jS9QJ.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    My Victor can run 2 LBX in the arm... Kablam indeed.

Shit! No it cant, it has 2 actuators in there. :(

Still, i can do all kinds of fun stuff with this guy, even with a standard engine.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Kusmeroglu wrote: »
    I will say that having light and heavy hardpoints sounds pretty neat. It would give the mechs a *lot* more diversity between variants if the heavy ports were positioned differently around the mechs.

PGI has said they don't want to do this, but I agree that the mechs variants could use a lot more diversity. I brought this up in the last pod cast: what about changing the max alpha boating limits for different variants? Kind of a softer version of the limiting hard points idea.

Edit: I'm very sad that I missed the LBX conversation. Kablam!!

Yessss, 3 PPCs for all my awesomes. Now that PPCs aren't as hideously OP, I can actually start to revel in how much I like them. KRACKOOM!
    3clipse wrote: »
    No one (sane) boated PPCs in closed beta because they were still ass awful >.>
    th_FamilyGuyStewie-Straight-Jacket.gif

Campy on
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    The nerf to alphas has reminded me how much I prefer to pilot mediums over heavies and assaults. Much as I'd like to love my Highlander, it just doesn't move fast enough....

Cracked 600dmg in my Cicada 2A, though. Gottagoreasonablyfast.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    $80 Phoenix bought! A bit on impulse, based on the fact that I'm keen on the game's potential more than the current reality. Ho-hum. Hope this wasn't a mistake.

• imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Sounds cool @Kashar

That sucks, because I play Mechwarrior in the VR pods sometimes, and it's really fun and immersive. However, it only works because everyone else is doing it as well; trying to use a joystick versus someone using a mouse will put you at a sever disadvantage - the mouse is just more responsive and precise.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
    ApogeeNotoriusBENKashaarElvenshae
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    you hit the nail on the head paradox. its only awesome if everyone is limited to the same control schematic.
    although I am thinking of doing what some others have if I can find some cash between now and PAX.

I need a lefty joystick and then use it for my throttle and turning. and maybe bind some other buttons like heat, NV and override to the thumb and trigger buttons
    I think I remember ninja snarl saying he had very precise control over his throttle due to a joystick, and that means getting behind some fool and ruining their backside.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    edited July 2013
    you hit the nail on the head paradox. its only awesome if everyone is limited to the same control schematic.
    although I am thinking of doing what some others have if I can find some cash between now and PAX.

I need a lefty joystick and then use it for my throttle and turning. and maybe bind some other buttons like heat, NV and override to the thumb and trigger buttons
    I think I remember ninja snarl saying he had very precise control over his throttle due to a joystick, and that means getting behind some fool and ruining their backside.

If you're interested in what analog throttle looks like in practice, the OBN Deathstar featured build video has me using that in the match commentary section. It's probably not the best example, but it's an example.

For your convenience and my shameless self-promotion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0HZWVK4zkc

Kashaar on

CarbonFireElvenshaeKusmeroglu
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    One thing I do miss from my old sidewinder 2 when I used it for Mechwarrior was the very accurate and easy to use throttle on the side.

The throttle up and down with the keyboard is not nearly as accurate.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    @BillGates Can you detail your AS7-RS build?

Also I FINALLY bought my D-DC! Barely scraped together the 10.5 mil C-Bills and basically ran it stock but I swapped out the LRM for more SRM6s (single heat sinks and stock ammo locations - oops). First game out, I nearly broke 800 damage!

I now understand the power of the Reaper.

RS [AS7-RS]: 2xLLAS, AMS, SRM6, SRM4, AC/20, 300STD, DHS

Somethings wrong with the Oosiks Mechlab. it says I have 2 tons free when in MWO's mechlab it says i have 0 free. Exact same setup.

Edit - Forgot to add 2 DHS to the Engine, thanks Carbon!

vLxusH5.jpg

BillGates on
    Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Sounds cool @Kashar

That sucks, because I play Mechwarrior in the VR pods sometimes, and it's really fun and immersive. However, it only works because everyone else is doing it as well; trying to use a joystick versus someone using a mouse will put you at a sever disadvantage - the mouse is just more responsive and precise.
    I think another reason it works is that you can't customize your 'Mechs in those pods (at least not the ones I've played in) which means nobody loads up their 'Mech so it's good at pinpoint alpha strike instagibs. You have more reasonable 'Mech designs with similar control limitations on everyone.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    BillGates wrote: »

Somethings wrong with the Oosiks Mechlab. it says I have 2 tons free when in MWO's mechlab it says i have 0 free. Exact same setup.

http://i.imgur.com/vLxusH5.jpg

@BillGates
    Forgot your 2 DHS in the engine. With 18 DHS in the Oosik Mech lab, it's right at 100 tons.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    CarbonFire wrote: »

@BillGates
    Forgot your 2 DHS in the engine. With 18 DHS in the Oosik Mech lab, it's right at 100 tons.

Damn, you are right. Forgot it doesn't auto add it.

Thank you!

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

@BillGates

Thank you!

Thanks for the report anyway! Right now I'm going through each and every mech and making stock builds for each one so any remaining minor errors should be ironed out by the time I've lost my sanity I'm done. If you guys want to help just lemme know! No experience necessary with anything except clicking a mouse!

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »

@BillGates

Thank you!

Thanks for the report anyway! Right now I'm going through each and every mech and making stock builds for each one so any remaining minor errors should be ironed out by the time I've lost my sanity I'm done. If you guys want to help just lemme know! No experience necessary with anything except clicking a mouse!

How exactly can I assist you? I get bored at work and if it doesn't involve the client itself (Nothing but Macs), i can probably help.

edited July 2013

@BillGates

Thank you!

How exactly can I assist you? I get bored at work and if it doesn't involve the client itself (Nothing but Macs), i can probably help.
    It's pretty simple, you just sit there in the OBN mechlab and churn out stock configs for everything. You can either do it the hard, honest way and read everything out of the .xmls or just look it up on Mechromancer or some other source.

This is the Google Doc I have running where I'm keeping all the raw URL share links. Just type in whatever chassis you're working on and put your name next to it like I've been doing so that we don't end up doing duplicate work.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LDZTasti_85HvrWZd1Z0OLmMIEwBQWHUH7207rWvGv4/edit

If you find any errors like armor values being off along the way just let an OBN person know.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited July 2013

@BillGates

Thank you!

It's pretty simple, you just sit there in the OBN mechlab and churn out stock configs for everything. You can either do it the hard, honest way and read everything out of the .xmls or just look it up on Mechromancer or some other source.

This is the Google Doc I have running where I'm keeping all the raw URL share links. Just type in whatever chassis you're working on and put your name next to it like I've been doing so that we don't end up doing duplicate work.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LDZTasti_85HvrWZd1Z0OLmMIEwBQWHUH7207rWvGv4/edit

If you find any errors like armor values being off along the way just let an OBN person know.

Okay and by stock config you mean the default build that PGI gives the mechs. Not the canon stock builds?

BillGates on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Kay wrote: »

That would be awesome if the joystick was lefthanded and you could use a mouse on the other hand. Seriously, who aims with a joystick? It's just such a disadvantage over using a mouse. I love my Joystick-and-Mouse config, but I could never use only a joystick, I'm sure.

Too bad nothing ever came of it, eh?

Can you outline your joystick + mouse setup? Are you using a joystick or a throttle (or a combo)?

Gladly. I'm using an old Saitek Cyborg X joystick, recently rebranded as Cyborg F.L.Y. 5 (which was about 30€ when I got it in retail x years ago), in my left hand, and a mouse with in effect 6 usable buttons in my right hand. I'm right-handed, for the record.

I have the two main joystick axes bound to analog throttle and turning. I'm not using the Z rotation or throttle at all - haven't found a use for the Z rotation yet, and using the throttle would require an additional hand, which unfortunately I do not yet possess. I have three of the main joystick buttons bound to firing groups 1-3, as I rarely use more than 3. The hat switch has a few functions bound to it, most importantly jump jets to a direction that I can push with my thumb while still retaining access to all three firing groups, but also free look, and a few others I can't remember because I use them so rarely that I just push the buttons on the keyboard instead. Another of the joystick's top buttons has shutdown override bound to it, but I really need to learn to use that override at all.

So, in summary: the joystick controls weapon firing and leg movement/turning, and miscellaneous functions. Now, my mouse setup is a bit different from what you'd be used to. I have zoom bound to mouse 1, and switch target to mouse 2. Heat and night vision are bound to scrollwheel left and right (it's one of those scrollwheels that let you tilt it to the sides), and on the side, the thumb buttons have my vent push-to-talk key and arm lock toggle. This means I essentially have all controls needed for aiming and target acquisition in my right hand, and all else in my left. Left hand controls leg movement, right hand controls torso aim.

I've used this for probably about half a year now, and I don't think I want to go back. Analog throttle and turning are just way too nice to give up, and all in all it's become really intuitive to use.

I cannot emphasize enough how well this setup works; I tried it out myself in MW4: Mercs before getting into the closed MWO beta, and it's the ONLY control scheme I've used since starting to play last year. Using this setup and the joystick and mouse I have, I get 13 easily-accessible buttons (I could have more, if I had a mouse with more buttons), on-the-fly DPI settings, and stellar fine control of movement. I can easily run five separate firing groups

I think the reason it works so well is that intuitive bit. "Major" movement (forward/back/left/right) is in one hand, and "fine" control (aiming and whatnot) are on the hand that normally does that functionality in FPS games. Matching target speeds, slowing down just enough to snap off a good shot, and varying speed and vector for better evasion are all very easy and very instinctive, plus you still have the mouse aiming for quick, precise shots.

If you use just one or the other for joystick or mouse, you end up giving up some major portion of fine control. Obviously people can play just fine without using both, but the only way I can think of improving the system is to have a joystick with more buttons or a mouse with more buttons; even with 13 buttons available, a few more would mean I can stop overlapping buttons like free arm movement and push-to-talk for Vent.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Kashaar
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, which is ostensibly a right handed stick, but I just tried it out with my left hand and it feels like it works fine so I think I'll try that out next time.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The stick I have is definitely molded to be a right-handed one, but it works just fine for me. No right-handed thumb buttons on the moulded part, so I don't even lose control options. I imagine even something with a sharp edge that jabs the middle of the left handle could easily be fixed by applying some tape to the edge.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I tried the left hand joystick thing, but just couldn't get it to work. I think it was at least partially to xp with vthe lack of comfortable playing position on my desk. I'm sure if I got used to it the fine turning control would be seriously useful.

Looool, just like I predicted. Twin ER PPC/1 Gauss Rifle builds are popping up everywhere.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited July 2013
    Looool, just like I predicted. Twin ER PPC/1 Gauss Rifle builds are popping up everywhere.

Pfft, welcome to February, when I decided to match the new, lower PPC heat values with a gauss rifle on a Cataphract. I was hating on that build (and abusing it) MONTHS ago, and that was even before HSR. :P

Still, I'm seeing even PPCboat premades, with assaults, getting rolled over by mixed-weaponry teams. The twin PPC + gauss thing is still aggravating, but 35 damage is still a helluva lot better than 50+, and a lot of mechs can't even do it without hefty compromises.

EDIT: Spun up a few matches and had a complete blast with my 5 SLAS + ERPPC Jenner. Epic light fights, turning the tide of battle by distracting the enemy with a couple ERPPC shots from a kilometer away, ganking wins because the enemy team went way too heavy for Conquest, all the fun stuff I've been missing.

Best kill today was coming across a Cataphract 3D with 2xMLAS, 2xMG, and 2xPPC. Popped him in the legs a few times with PPC shots before he finally gave me his attention, and then he chased me while too far away from his team to get support. I proceeded to leg the guy, leaving the entire upper portion of the mech with yellow armor. Dude started griping about how weak the 3D was; guess he didn't know that PPCs don't work real well when the enemy is fighting you from 3-4 meters away. :D

Ninja Snarl P on
    Elvenshae
    Pfft, welcome to February, when I decided to match the new, lower PPC heat values with a gauss rifle on a Cataphract. I was hating on that build (and abusing it) MONTHS ago, and that was even before HSR

Oh, I remember those days. Hence why I had been quoted "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" before the patch.

wWuzwvJ.png
    m!ttens
    Pfft, welcome to February, when I decided to match the new, lower PPC heat values with a gauss rifle on a Cataphract. I was hating on that build (and abusing it) MONTHS ago, and that was even before HSR

Oh, I remember those days. Hence why I had been quoted "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" before the patch.

True, but at least the old boss was only fond of occasionally backhanding the workers in passing instead of feeding them all feet-first through a woodchipper.

Elvenshae
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    At least the new boss has a chance to explode...

I think we've taken this metaphor as far as it will go

3basnids3lf9.jpg

ElvenshaemellestadKashaar
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    .....gauss ammo doesn't explode though.

joshua1 wrote: »
    .....gauss ammo doesn't explode though.

Gauss Rifles do though!

wWuzwvJ.png
    Kashaar
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    well, i just tend to explode on principle. Or something like that. I am always exploding.