As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All will [chat] me, and despair

TaminTamin Registered User regular
edited July 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
Help

I don't know what I'm doing

you people like music, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ELUtE1YKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D50oR8tBVKI

oh! Here's something actiony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SlHGPg8ax0

Tamin on

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    mlb all star game coverage is fun

exciting when a mets player is actually really good

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    this... this might be the worst OP in the history of chat.

Even worse than Shaz's "im tired and posting from bed" OP.

you should feel bad.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    god finally

ALL OF YOU WITH YOUR BUTTS UP YOUR THUMBS

also thank you @gim and @casual eddy for linking those things

this is not an issue I have thought about much in relation to my own wishes

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I do!

Last chat OP was just a youtube video. But I was slightly unprepared.

Tamin on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    4OBYbwy.jpg

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    this... this might be the worst OP in the history of chat.

Even worse than Shaz's "im tired and posting from bed" OP.

you should feel bad.

Top ten worst maybe. We've had some "Here is a chat" OPs.

• Options
    I read an interesting article at one point about prostate cancer or surgery or something?

and like how not only is it expensive but also the side effects are horrible, like lots of times you never have an erection again and maybe can't walk and some other stuff

and so maybe if you get prostate cancer, and most men will eventually (?), it is just better to go down with the ship rather than going the surgery route

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    more like DARTH panels

am I right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i have done some googlings and it looks like the PA medicaid expansion is shelved for at least the summer and probably won't happen at all. corbett has expressed that he's p firmly against it.

godddddddddddddddamnitttttttt.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I should probably have told Dee that I was delegating my duty to Tamin

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i have done some googlings and it looks like the PA medicaid expansion is shelved for at least the summer and probably won't happen at all. corbett has expressed that he's p firmly against it.

Just think of it like a big death panel that saves tons of money. That seems to comfort portions of [chat].

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    more like DARTH panels

am I right?

No. It's more like astromech droid panels.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Alternately, chu, there will be an exchange in your state and you'll get a shit-ton of subsidies from the ACA so you'll probably be able to buy insurance that way.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Continued from last chat
    spool32 wrote:
    TL DR wrote:

We the People as represented by our elected leaders who put laws into place which influence the life and death of citizens every single day?

You will die, spool. I am skeptical that an argument can be made that state-funded guaranteed healthcare will be less fair or somehow more inhumane than what we have now.

Nobody is proposing (other than Sarah Palin, maybe?) a review board of unelected buraeucrats who look at individual patients and make judgment calls on whether their lives are worth $5000 or $50000. It does make sense to have guidelines like we do for organ transplants, however.
    I think Override is proposing exactly that

No, what I am proposing is a team of doctors deciding if a patient's care is really in their best interest. If a procedure is going to cost a million dollars and have virtually no chance of extending a patient's life, and WILL cause pain and suffering, to say the government will not pay for that procedure. A team of doctors, who have no profit motive, who have no budget, who suffer no retribution if they say "yeah go ahead and do everything".

That is my position. That is the position of most government run health institutions. In fact cost doesn't even have to factor in to it! It should be about outcomes and effects on the patient, that alone would substantially reduce costs by itself! I'm totally cool with them not even being told the price tag and making it totally about the welfare of the patient

Your position baffles the fuck out of me. Tomorrow if I came down with a chronic condition, you are perfectly honkey dorey with telling me to fuck off and die. My mother too. If she was one year older though? Everything must be done, regardless of any logical sense it must make. Hit by a bus with brain death? Keep her on life support forever, she's over 65 she MUST NOT DIEEEEEE

Fact is Spool, people need to let go eventually. I only have second hand experience as a child going to these places with my mom providing end of life care to people, and at some point you stopped being a caregiver and started being a torturer - all the while the government pays you piles of money to do it.

It's barbaric and I challenge you to find anyone who works with end of life patients who disagrees*

*anyone who doesn't have a direct profit motive behind their reasoning

geez that was way more wall of text than I thought it'd be

override367 on
  • Options
    R2-D2 takes you behind a curtain, has you put on a blast shield, and it all happens quickly and painlessly.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    On the topic of scarcity and medical care (NOT FUCKING DEATH PANELS, THAT CONVERSATION WAS OVER TEN PAGES AGO)

"It should be illegal to sell soda* to anyone under the age of 18". Discuss.

*soda defined however is sensible, by sugar content or whatever

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I read an interesting article at one point about prostate cancer or surgery or something?

and like how not only is it expensive but also the side effects are horrible, like lots of times you never have an erection again and maybe can't walk and some other stuff

and so maybe if you get prostate cancer, and most men will eventually (?), it is just better to go down with the ship rather than going the surgery route

I remember hearing something about starting to move away from recommending you get that checked at whatever age it is it's normal for it to get checked at becuase the cost + side effects is often worse than going untreated. Do not know if fact.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I should probably have told Dee that I was delegating my duty to Tamin

I'll save it for the next time Im tapped.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    ugh

what a shit day

had an absent partial seizure in the shower, fell on my ass

and because i have swollen discs in my back, this hurt a LOT

i laid down for a bit, took a T3 for the pain and an ativan for the seizing

now i am loopy as fuck

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    too long didnt look at the graph: doctors say no, overwhelmingly, to just about all end of life care except for pain medication

what about ice cream

we need an fda trial for this

where can i sign up

pain medication

ice cream

call it what you want

Ben and Jerry's Mighty Morphine Jolly Ranchers.

I know what your thinking: "Jolly Ranchers in my ice cream, that sounds disgusting!", but bro, there's a lot of fucking morphine in there. You don't mind the taste, dawg...

EDIT: I couldnt get this post in before the lock

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »

Just think of it like a big death panel that saves tons of money. That seems to comfort portions of [chat].

i don't especially care about you and libruls sniping at each other i am talking about my ability to get healthcare? which seems like an academic discussion to everyone who has the power to change it

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Yeah, pretty much; prostate is more "when" than "if". However, unless you're an outlier and get it early, the average onset/detection is about oh, 50-60, and it's generally slow enough that it'll kill you in about oh, 20 years.

So, let's see. "no erections anymore" or "this could kill me about when I'd probably be about to die anyhow".

Lemme think about that one.

(They've got some decent radiation-based treatments now though, and the surgery's getting WAY better. Eventually, I'd imagine it'll be routine.)

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »

maybe you guys are misunderstanding each other

you mentioned being denied lifesaving care because of the cost or your value to society

and I don't think they're talking about that? I think they are talking about situations where it's not going to save your life anyway

like hey we can do this procedure but it has a 5% chance of getting the cancer and then you're going to be in bed for 6 months and die anyway

that kind of thing, where it's not life saving it's just kind of horribly prolonging?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    my eloquent thoughts from the defunct [chat]
    Casual wrote: »
    one observation i have about tomb raider

RRRRRAGHHH MOTHERFUCKING QUICKTIME EVENTS

SARGGSDFGVSSWADASDF

*flips desk*

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    spool i really wish you wouldn't focus on one person who says something hyperbolic and then assume we're all saying exactly the same thing

• Options

Isn't prostate surgery more risky than the cancer itself?

• Options
    are some of you kids riling up spool again

• Options

I'm really foggy on the memory, I'm not even sure when I read it

• Options
    I feel like I am the one person on this forum who is not irrevocably addicted to soda. I drank it a certain amount as a kid, then mostly grew out of it when I hit my 20s. I'll still have some if I go out to a fast food place, but I don't keep any at home, nor do I feel an urge to buy any ever.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    are some of you kids riling up spool again

man I wouldn't even get into it

that road leads only to the furrowing of brows and a long, dissatisfied sigh of exasperation

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

Can be, yep. Depends.

Edit: Hey, that's also a side effect!

dporowski on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    in case you didn't see it
    Preferences of physician-participants for treatment given a scenario of irreversible brain injury without terminal illness. Percentage of physicians shown on the vertical axis. For cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), surgery, and invasive diagnostic testing, no choice for a trial of treatment was given. Data from the Johns Hopkins Precursors Study, 1998. Courtesy of Joseph Gallo, "Life-Sustaining Treatments: What Do Physicians Want and Do They Express Their Wishes to Others?"

this is in regards to that graph. so the question is specific, but I recall a group of non doctors were asked the same and the ratios of yes:no were essentially reversed

unfortunately I can't find the graph

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    As a liberal, I think the doctors should have to forfeit their licenses if they perform any procedure on someone over 65.

50 if they vote republican or identify as a "patriot" / part of a "tea-party" group.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Oh wow I didn't know the side effects were that bad.

I know it's really common and... yeah.

And I am on multiple medications that may increase the chance of nasty ones so ew.

• Options
    This value to society nonsense is a red herring invented by Sarah Palin

nobody is suggesting we have a shady team of suits decide if someone is worth keeping alive

Only Republicans and Libertarians are in favor of that system, the system we currently have for 18-64 year olds, and that system is called "Private Insurance"

• Options
    ugh i do not care this inebriation

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
  • Options
    I was proud of my two R2-D[eath]2 posts. I'm not going to get any more creative than that today. Just going to sit here and eat raisins.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    This is equally scary and awesome.

Guy with early-onset Parkinson's has a wire in his brain, giving electric stimulation.

He shows what happens when he turns it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uBh2LxTW0s0

• Options
    it's also a cultural question

we're presented with these heroic doctors reviving people with CPR on movies and in TV. and people also 'fight the disease' and so on. you usually don't have people deciding to die quiet, dignified deaths in american tv and movies.

This discussion has been closed.