As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FATE] Assassins and Assholes, a tale inspired by the works of Suda51 - Recruiting

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
ScjxSbX.jpg

It is the 90s, and Greensborough, a city on the eastern seaboard, is at the cusp of a full-blown war in the criminal underworld. However, this is not the world you know. In this world, Several colorful men and women routinely show up, wearing outrageous outfits, wielding unconventional weaponry, achieving feats impossible for normal people, and Greensborough is no exception. Here, ninjas and samurai walk the streets and cross swords with mafiosi. Men in Victorian dress duel with zombies while a pharaoh watches with a painted eye. Hitmen, bounty hunters and members of the local law enforcement take up arms as well, using their unique skills to make a living. The city is teetering in a fragile balance and the slightest tap could send it crashing. You are a freelancer in the business of fixing tricky situations, and you’re not alone. Far from it, in fact. You’re part of a group, and you received a fax earlier today: Your skills are in demand. There’s no question that you rose up to the challenge, the question is... who are you?

Basic Specs
System: FATE Core 3rd Edition
Medium: Play-by-Post
Number of Players: 3 to 5 players
Game Tone: Over-the-top action featuring larger-than-life characters.

Who is Suda51?
Goichi Suda, also known as Suda51, is a Japanese game designer known in the west primarily for Killer7, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw and the upcoming Killer is Dead. His games are known for their over-the-topness, punk feel and overall style. It's hard to properly describe it, but it's very enjoyable to see in action. This game will primarily draw inspiration from No More Heroes and Killer7, games that are about modern-day assassins with strange powers, abilities and equipment.

Then, what will Assassins and Assholes be like?
Assassins and Assholes will be a modern-day epic featuring colorful characters, criminal elements and over-the-top action. Set in a fictionalized version of the 90s, in a fictional city where 5 organized crime groups share the power, it will be whatever you fine people make it to be. Will you see it as a possible conquest? Will you try to keep the balance or even exterminate the criminal element? It's up to you! It will, however, be bloody, insane and unbelievable, that much is certain.

How will this be played?
This will be using FATE Core 3rd Edition, which can be bought at the price of your choice from Evil Hat Games. It's even available free for cheapskates! But do consider buying it, it's totally worth it.

We'll be using these 21 skills:
Academics (replaces Lore)
Athletics
Burglary
Contacts
Crafts
Deceive
Drive
Empathy
Healthcare (new one)
Investigate
Martial Arts (Replaces Fight)
Melee Weapons (Replaces Fight)
Notice
Physique
Pop culture (replaces Lore)
Provoke
Rapport
Resources
Shoot
Stealth
Will

Additionally, if you feel a skill is missing, suggest it, i probably don't have a problem with it.

Player Characters will have 6 aspects each.

We probably won't be needing extras unless you have a good idea that needs them to work, of course.

Aside from all that, we'll just use normal character creation rules.

I'm in! What do I need to do?
Simple! Come up with a character concept and post the following!

Name:
Aspect 1: High Concept:
Aspect 2: Trouble:
Aspect 3: A Special ability or skill

The remaining 3 aspects (First Hit, and meeting another assassin) will be filled out later once all the players are ready.

Hold on! I have questions that aren't addressed in the OP!
Ah, then ask away! I'm not scared of questions!

Setting information
Setting information will be posted before the game starts, don't worry!

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    [This space reserved for stuff]

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    [This space also reserved for stuff. (different stuff)]

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I am the hacker

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I have never done fate before so I'll probably freak out and cry a lot

But I'm totally down for this thing

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Also this game idea makes me think of this very odd movie

http://youtu.be/1eJi3csKnUU

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I want to be a half-black, half-Korean, half-Spanish DJ samurai

simonwolf wrote: »
    I want to be a half-black, half-Korean, half-Spanish DJ samurai

You sure? That sounds a bit low-key. :P

Anyway, here's some setting info!

The City of Greensborough
    A coastal city on the Eastern Seaboard, this is where Assassins and Assholes takes place. Most other settings are part of the city. The city is often divided in 5 districts.

KVXGSb5.png

Highpointe
    A very high-class district on the crest of the city, affording a nice view over the entire city. Contains a few high rise buildings and very nice residential areas.

Downtown
    The commercial focus point of the city. Home to a few skyscrapers and a large variety of boutiques and other commercial institutions.

Westbrook
    The westernmost district of Greenborough, west of Downtown and Highpointe. An older part of town, but not as old as the Harbor.

Greenwood
    An area to the East of Alders River, newest district of the city, though not particularly recent. Lots of industries were there before the development of residential and commercial areas.

The Harbor
    Both boardwalks and industrial loading piers are found at the Greensborough Harbor. Though not the biggest harbor around, it’s large enough to have a few shipping companies there. Lots of warehouses and seedy dens of villainy lie here.

Henry Boulevard
    The nightlife of Greensborough lies on Henry Boulevard, where bars, clubs, restaurants, boutiques and theaters are found. You can surely find a lot of what you need there. The boulevard extends from Highpointe to the Harbor, through downtown.

The Criminal Organizations of Greensborough
    Canzoneri Family
    An old-world crime family of mafiosi. They’re based around Highpointe and are the oldest organized crime group in the city. They value family, organizational honor and politics.

Brass Cogs
    Men and women in Victorian dress with an affinity for steam, cogs and brass. They are strange lot and the youngest criminal organization in Greensborough. They are free spirits who are based around Greenwood. They value free thought, personal accomplishment and mechanical stuff.

Bushido-heads
    Inspired by the far east, this criminal organization drew a lot of inspiration from the code of the samurai, though they also admire the ninja clans of old. Neither the first nor the last comers, they mostly control areas of the Downtown District as well as parts of Westbrook. They value the warrior spirit, courage and loyalty.

Ghouls
    Their origins are not well known, but this is possibly the least organized group, as far as anyone can tell. Dressing like ghouls, ghosts and other undead creatures, they are a chaotic, loosely organized alliance of freaks and outcasts. They do not seem to hold any particular area of the city, but keep pockets here and there They have the biggest pockets in Greenwood. They value chaos, violence and cultivate dread.

Seth’s Eye
    Another old organization, Seth’s Eye, under a self-appointed Pharaoh, are cultivate an air of mystery around their organization. They are Egyptian-themed, that much is obvious, but their true motives aren’t as well understood as the other groups. They are based around Westbrook, though they hold a few areas within Downtown. They value patience, wisdom and stealth.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    In all seriousness I would probably like to make some kind of stereotypical "sword and smile" kind of dude, if only to see where I could go with it

I am sticking with the previously stated ethnic background though

• BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Name: Maxwell Minkowski
    Aspect 1: High Concept: Fastest phaser in the 14th Dimension
    Aspect 2: Trouble: Escaped from Dr. Clockwork
    Aspect 3: A Special ability or skill: Spacetime is a state of mind

Great(+4) - Shoot
    Good(+3) - Athletics, Notice
    Fair(+2) - Drive, Martial Arts, Provoke
    Average(+1) - Burglary, Crafts, Physique, Stealth

Refresh: 3
    Stunts: 3

Physical Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]
    Mental Stress: 1[ ] 2[ ]

Backup Gun (Pocket Dimension Armory): Whenever someone’s about to hit you with a Disarmed situation aspect or something similar, spend a fate point to declare you have a backup gun. Instead of a situation aspect, your opponent gets a boost, representing the momentary distraction you suffer having to switch.

Sprinter (Blink): You move two zones for free in a conflict without rolling, instead of one, provided there are no situation aspects restricting movement.

Danger Sense (Precog): You have an almost preternatural capacity for detecting danger. Your Notice skill works unimpeded by conditions like total concealment, darkness, or other sensory impairments in situations where someone or something intends to harm you.

---

Background: Max is a renowned gunslinger from an alternate earth where justice never evolved past the wild west. If you can't shoot, you employ people who can. Corrupt governments, organized crime, and powerful corporate masters run the show. Needless to say, Max feels right at home in Greensborough. Max is hazy on the exact details of how he got to this Earth, but he knows it had something to do with a hit gone wrong, possibly on his home dimensions version of the asshole that brought him here, Dr. Clockwork. The Doctor is one of the more reclusive leaders of the Brass Cogs. Max managed to escape the Doctor's lab using his new found abilities. Max is trying to lay low, but he knows they'll cross paths again if he doesn't leave Greensborough.

Notes: His special abilities are a side effect of the strange matter infusing him from whatever brought him to this dimension. Stunts are just reflavored regular stunts. Spacetime aspect is meant to be limited spacetime manipulation mostly for defense/movement. He's sometimes surrounded by aura of impossible geometry that can make him hard to shoot or even reach. The downside is that he doesn't understand how it works. It's unreliable and can get in the way, or not work when he needs it most.

---
    Some questions:
    I started with the standard number of skills, though you added 3 more skills from the 18 in the book.
    Does the backup weapon stunt (in fight) include guns?
    Does healthcare need a stunt to reduce consequences (like Psychologist from Empathy)?
    Can you use Shoot to attack someone in the same zone with a gun? To defend? Maybe with a stunt and/or penalty? I'm thinking of the Gun-Fu in the movie Equilibrium.

I may want to shuffle things but I figured I might as well post what I have. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the FATE system so any suggestions are welcome, especially if any of the aspects don't work.

Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
    i love this, Boozer. It's over-the-top, even moreso than I expected, but so great!

To answer your question, we use the same skill spread as in the base game, just with more choices because i felt it was important for flavor to have Pop culture and martial arts. i might also add a Computers skill because Winky wants to be a hacker.
    i'd say Backup Weapon could be your choice of gun or melee, I don't see why it couldn't include guns.
    For the healthcare question, I still have to mull it over. For now, i'll go yes, make it work just like empathy but for physical consequences.
    For the guns and zoning, I might need to recheck the rules a bit. I think I might go for giving penalties with some aspect (like, say, close quarters, cramped, etc.) but generally, you should be able to shoot someone in the same zone if it makes sense. To defend, I'm gonna rule no, though.

As for FATE expertise, this is gonna be my first time running a FATE game, or even paying it, so things might start off a bit rough, but i should make up for it with exciting set pieces!

edited July 2013
    Cool, glad you like it. I have no problem toning anything down. I just wanted a gunslinger with some oddness.

So to be clear, the Backup weapon stunt includes guns and melee weapons, or would I need an additional stunt to cover both?

For the defending with guns question I was just wondering if there was a stunt that could cover it, but I couldn't think of a suitable restriction except maybe a -2 to use guns to defend in the same zone instead of fight. I'm probably better off just keeping the skill regardless.

Edit: Thanks for the clarifications, I changed melee weapons to martial arts, healthcare to physique, will to crafts, and Backup weapon to Backup gun to be more specific.

Boozer on
    Boozer wrote: »
    Cool, glad you like it. I have no problem toning anything down. I just wanted a gunslinger with some oddness.

So to be clear, the Backup weapon stunt includes guns and melee weapons, or would I need an additional stunt to cover both?

For the defending with guns question I was just wondering if there was a stunt that could cover it, but I couldn't think of a suitable restriction except maybe a -2 to use guns to defend in the same zone instead of fight. I'm probably better off just keeping the skill regardless.

i'm gonna say you have to pick guns and maybe add an additional stunt if you want to cover melee weapons (or vice versa)

• KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Tentative concept being thrown into the ring.

Name: Marina Fonseca
    High Concept: Showboating assassin with a taste for deathtraps.
    Trouble: No such thing as too overcomplicated.
    Special Ability/Skill: Full of hidden surprises.

So where do I get the guidebook for this game for free?

Nothing against paying, I just got no moneys.

I do have a character concept ready, just need to look at how exactly to assign numbers to it :)

• ButtonsButtons Dolt SweedeelandRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, I'm a big suda51 fan, if recruitment is open for a while longer I'll throw a character up in the next day or so!

Buttons wrote: »
    Oh wow, I'm a big suda51 fan, if recruitment is open for a while longer I'll throw a character up in the next day or so!

Good to know! Recruitment is open until i get 5 players OR until I get 3 players if it has not begun before August.