As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I have a simple question that maybe someone here can answer. If I pre-order this from like amazon, will I get two different codes, one for the head start and one for the in-game bonus items? Or are they both linked to the same code?

i ordered from amazon and they gave me one code

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I did a pre-order from GMG and got one code, hopefully it's the correct one to enter tomorrow so I can be ready for the 24th.

Re: Pugilist greased lightning - yeah it would be a real problem losing out on lots of DPS due to dodging an enemy ability. It would be nice if greased lightning had a bit longer of a duration so you didn't have to risk losing the stacks like that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    strider shizumastrider shizuma wizard Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    I have a simple question that maybe someone here can answer. If I pre-order this from like amazon, will I get two different codes, one for the head start and one for the in-game bonus items? Or are they both linked to the same code?

Hmmm so I can't give my friend the early access code while I keep the in-game bonus items.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Hmmm so I can't give my friend the early access code while I keep the in-game bonus items.

No, probably not. You get 1 preorder code which gives you all the preorder benefits: Early access and in-game items. They're both tied to the pre-order, there'd be no reason for SquareEnix to break them up.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    F87 wrote: »
    So if I pre-order this now, can I play tomorrow? Or does early access start on the 24th?

Early access starts on the 24th. Nobody can play tomorrow or this week.

Is it the 24th yet?

(checks calendar)

What about now?

(refreshes calendar)

.....Okay, now?

(weeps onto keyboard)

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    So if I pre-order this now, can I play tomorrow? Or does early access start on the 24th?

Is it the 24th yet?

(checks calendar)

What about now?

(refreshes calendar)

.....Okay, now?

(weeps onto keyboard)

On the plus side if you pre-ordered you can enter your code tomorrow!

and then wait 4 more days anyways :(

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Technically that would be a plus, as I've been afraid for a while about losing the pre-order code in my inbox.

As far as I know, there's no way to retrieve that code from Amazon if you ended up misplacing it.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular

Is it the 24th yet?

(checks calendar)

What about now?

(refreshes calendar)

.....Okay, now?

(weeps onto keyboard)

On the plus side if you pre-ordered you can enter your code tomorrow!

and then wait 4 more days anyways :(

What your going to need is a case of Nyquil, the next few days will pass by super quick if you just keep drinking some every time you wake up.
    Don't actually do this, you will probably die, or at the least feel so awful you won't be able to enjoy the game anyway.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I should pre-order. For some reason I'm hesitant to order from Green Man Gaming, largely because i've never really heard of them before, but seems cheap . . .. Anyone have a bad experience with them?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    Oh hey, I should pre-order. For some reason I'm hesitant to order from Green Man Gaming, largely because i've never really heard of them before, but seems cheap . . .. Anyone have a bad experience with them?

bought lots of games from them,as have tons of other forumers, totally legit. I have my pre-order with them right now as I got it for 25% off.

this code GMG25-OGRUH-7SM8H will work for 25% off the game right now.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Foomy wrote: »

bought lots of games from them,as have tons of other forumers, totally legit. I have my pre-order with them right now as I got it for 25% off.

this code GMG25-OGRUH-7SM8H will work for 25% off the game right now.

Ooh, I will try this code right away. Thanks for the reply and heads up!

• Options
    I had one friend have the credit card he used at GMG have some suspicious charges show up, but there is no proof that was related to GMG at all really. I have bought from them using both Paypal and my credit card and had no issues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I've had friends order FFXIV from GMG before, and they were given codes from them that require you to register an EU account with Square for it, which I imagine can cause some issues when it comes down to payment.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Well, if I can't link it to my existing NA squeenix account, that would be bad. I don't want to run through the first 15 levels for the 5th time. Although I've got them DOWN in terms of questing efficiency.

• Options
    Hrm that would be troubling if the GMG order only worked with EU accounts. Hopefully this is not the case. For anybody that is super paranoid about it and doesn't want to take the chance, the Amazon pre-order has $5 Amazon credit for the digital version, $10 credit for the digital CE.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Okay, I'll check that out as well.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Well, if I can't link it to my existing NA squeenix account, that would be bad. I don't want to run through the first 15 levels for the 5th time. Although I've got them DOWN in terms of questing efficiency.

Did you play over the weekend? I don't remember seeing you online.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    The GMG page specifically says NA, so I can't imagine them sending out EU codes. I've ordered several games from them and have never had an issue, however, a friend of mine ordered one game from them and they dropped the ball pretty badly. It eventually was taken care, but was a huge hassle so he avoids them. Aside from that, I've not heard of any others having an issue with them. I've already ordered from them so I can report back tomorrow if my preorder code works.

• Options
    Esh wrote: »

Did you play over the weekend? I don't remember seeing you online.

I hadn't settled on a main, so I didn't join the FC. And then leviathan locked me out so I restarted on Faerie. Not sure what my plans are for launch at this point.

• Options
    The GMG page specifically says NA, so I can't imagine them sending out EU codes. I've ordered several games from them and have never had an issue, however, a friend of mine ordered one game from them and they dropped the ball pretty badly. It eventually was taken care, but was a huge hassle so he avoids them. Aside from that, I've not heard of any others having an issue with them. I've already ordered from them so I can report back tomorrow if my preorder code works.

Hah I just looked again, and my receipt says "FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn (NA) - PC" so I'm pretty sure I'm good to go.

I was going to play some other games tonight, but after a weekend of MMO crack none of the other games I have are really grabbing my interest at the moment. What a hassle, can't wait for the early access to start.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'm glad my bank doesn't think GMG is some strange foreign company looking to steal my monies now.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    do you need to use capsule if you get it through GMG?

• Options
    I ended up going through Amazon, I liked the credit deal better. Now I just need a time machine. Anyone got a code for that?

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    I'm think about how right now the pug system is fun, but when you have to keep 3 stacks of greased lightning up at all times things might get considerably less fun. there's nothing I hate more than short duration buffs that need to be constantly refreshed. they scream "busy work"

It's p much how pugilists work though

like a whole bunch of short duration buffs you need to successfully weave into your attacks to keep up while using positioning and avoiding big monster attacks

it can get pretty frenetic

which worries me because it's going to end up like "oh I had to back off for a bit to avoid that attack, now my dps is shit because greased lightning fell off"
    Were you high enough for Twin Snakes? Don't forget that.

And Straight Shot subbed in from Archer.

Too many fuckin' buffs, man.

Oh and if you don't have someone who Slows, adding in Feint on the mobs as well if you want to be really conscientious and help the tank and healer out.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    those buffs are easy to keep up compared to how greased lightning will be, which is why I think pug is going to start out fun then be a total drag at level cap.

just as an example on the last boss in the first dungeon you have to run around hitting those grates, which is plenty of time for it to not get renewed. no big deal because it's only one stack you will have it back in no time. but 3 stacks is going to take 20 seconds or so to get back up and boss mechanics are going to get more complicated.

sounds like a recipe for a frustrating and underpowered class.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Fortunately it's an MMO so issues like these will be sorted in time. How much time? Who knows! But more often than not, big glaring issues get addressed quickly.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    yeah I'm hopeful about it. if monks suck they will rectify that.

Jars on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    do you need to use capsule if you get it through GMG?

No, especially since it's an MMO xP.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Funny you mention those grates, my group just ignored them and the tank picked them up while I AE healed until he had it under control. I didn't even know you could interact with them until after the dungeon was over!

I think a simple fix for the greased lightning problem would be adding in a duration increase (5s each level maybe) to the trait that lets you stack higher. Whether that will happen or not, well who knows?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    those buffs are easy to keep up compared to how greased lightning will be, which is why I think pug is going to start out fun then be a total drag at level cap.

just as an example on the last boss in the first dungeon you have to run around hitting those grates, which is plenty of time for it to not get renewed. no big deal because it's only one stack you will have it back in no time. but 3 stacks is going to take 20 seconds or so to get back up and boss mechanics are going to get more complicated.

Meh.

THM has to worry about cast time and movement with avoiding attacks. You can lose pretty much an entire cast time for a spell if you have to move at the end unexpectedly; which could cause you to lose Astral Fire and all that. PUG isn't unique in having to juggle things. LNC seems to have more abilities than other classes that are better from behind, so if that is something that you can't do for various reasons on fights, that is also an issue.

I'd be surprised if they weren't aware of these issues with balancing damage and all that.

And I'd be surprised if these things weren't intentional. If you can keep up a short term buff 100% without really working hard for it and/or losing it a few times expectedly...that'd be pretty boring button mashing.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

I think your concern is legitimate, but it's important to note that your gcd will be shorter when you have gl stacks, so your window for refreshing is easier to hit. GL 2 lowered th gcd to 2ish seconds.

My bigger worry is that when you get rolling you won't really have enough time between attacks to position right, even when you dance back and forth across the line. But maybe at 50 switching positions won't really be a thing and you will just sit flanking the entire time, running the flanking combo.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote: »

I think your concern is legitimate, but it's important to note that your gcd will be shorter when you have gl stacks, so your window for refreshing is easier to hit. GL 2 lowered th gcd to 2ish seconds.

My bigger worry is that when you get rolling you won't really have enough time between attacks to position right, even when you dance back and forth across the line. But maybe at 50 switching positions won't really be a thing and you will just sit flanking the entire time, running the flanking combo.

Ah. Little survived long enough for me to really notice that, but if each stack of lightning shaves .25 sec on the GCD, then full stacks leaves you with half the duration free for whatever... meaning a PUG who knows where to stand is going to be a monster.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    21%, or a little over .5 seconds off the gcd. gives you time for two extra abilities

Jars on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    21%, or a little over .5 seconds off the gcd. gives you time for two extra abilities

Mmm... then I suppose three stacks would be 30% or so... and holy hell what a terror that must be. Assuming MNK is still... 30 PUG/15 CNJ, I'm most of the way there already. SMN might be my initial focus though.

CNJ's Cleric Stance would be awesome for SCH if it didn't reduce heals and buff damage, since you could then level ACN as straight damage and it would then flip that to healing.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    When you take up a job, do you keep the same bonus stat allocation from the main class? I would hope that you don't, so that SCH can have the +MND while the ACN can keep its +INT. That still leaves the issue of the +INT traits in ACN though, but losing out on that amount of stats shouldn't be crippling, just inconvenient.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Not mine, but found someone who got a perfect screenshot of the Limit Break "Braver" in action!

http://i.imgur.com/EVXkhO3.jpg

Anime as hell.

Well kind of, but more specifically it's literally the first Limit Break for Cloud from Final Fantasy 7 and it uses his sword which is a pretty cool callback

I mean you could argue Cloud is "Anime as hell" but it's still pretty cool :)

Oh, I'm totally aware of where it's from. It's still anime as all hell.

So is FF7.

It's still pretty cool.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So is everyone advocating for one character all classes? I was thinking of focusing on class combos that worked well (going for a whitemage character, paladin, etc). Is there a huge reason not to do that?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Radiation wrote: »
    So is everyone advocating for one character all classes? I was thinking of focusing on class combos that worked well (going for a whitemage character, paladin, etc). Is there a huge reason not to do that?

There is pretty much no actual reason to not just get all the Classes on one Character. There is no downside, each Class has it's own set of attributes, and you get no benefit for having a second character outside of maybe some bag space.

Right now the only downside I can think of is that you don't get to choose different stats between Scholar and Summoner since they both build off Arcanist, but since you can reset your stats at some point (with a 24 hour cooldown I think) even that is not a big issue.

Basically they specifically designed a system with the express purpose of eliminating the need to make alternate characters. They subscribe to the idea of making one character and taking that one character through the adventure.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    no, 21% is 3 stacks. 7% per stack.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    you can still make alternate characters for, say, doing other cities main story quests or just hangin out bein a catperson

i plan to do this

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.